China struck deal after deal to acquire companies abroad over the last few years. Now the bill is coming due.
The nations top corporate dealmakers, including HNA Group Co. and Fosun International Ltd., must pay off the equivalent of at least $11.5 billion in bonds and loans by the end of 2018 — a feat now complicated by government efforts to rein in their aggressive rush overseas.
That figure represents just a fraction of the total debt of 1.1 trillion yuan ($162 billion) that the Chinese companies have reported as they projected their money and influence around the world with a record number of acquisitions. The size of their obligations — and whether they will be able to shoulder them — has begun to worry global banks and investors now that Beijing has pressed companies to dial back their ambitions abroad.
Those companies the banking regulator is checking on have very high financing demand for M&A activities, said Xia Le, chief Asia economist at Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA in Hong Kong. But banks will heighten their risk control when lending to them going forward, which could increase their funding costs and hurt the pace of their expansion.
READ: Dealmaking tycoons scrutinized by banking regulator
The moves threaten to end an era of easy access to money for the firms. People familiarwith the matter said last month that China Banking Regulatory Commission asked some banks to provide information on overseas loans toHNA, Fosun, Anbang Insurance Group Co. and Dalian Wanda Group Co. Yields on some bonds issued by the firms jumped. The CBRC is examining examples of acquisitions gone awryto assess potential risks to the financial sector, people familiar also said.
To be sure, the companies, which are among the biggest private-sector firms in China, are sitting on a cash pile that they can tap to meet upcoming debt deadlines. They have more than 400 billion yuan of cash and cash equivalents, according to the latest filings compiled by Bloomberg.
HNA Group has built up a strong global business with world class tourism, logistics and financial services assets,”the company said in an emailed reply to questions. The company is in a sound financial and operational situation.
Fosun has a variety of financing capabilities which not only include bond issuance, but also bilateral and syndicated bank loans, capital market financing, management fees, operating income and divestments from our global platform, said David Wu, head of investor relations.
A representative at Wanda declined to comment. There was no immediate reply to a request for comment from Anbang.
Debt markets that were eager to dish out funds have helped fuel more than $310 billion of overseas acquisitions by Chinese companies since the start of 2016. Borrowers are now waking up to a hangover.
The top dealmakers face rising bond and loan maturities in the next three years, according to Bloomberg-compiled data. JPMorgan Private Bank in Asia and Baring Asset Management are among market participants warning that regulatory risks mean investors need to be more cautious.
Click here for a story on China examining deals gone awry
We anticipate that yield levels for bonds from companies like HNA, Dalian Wanda and Fosun could rise in the near term, said Anne Zhang, executive director for fixed income, currencies and commodities at JPMorgan Private Bank in Asia. For now, we are advising investors to take a cautious view on those companies bonds and we are waiting for the dust to settle before taking further actions.
The new debt has ballooned the firms balance sheets. A local bond market rout that began at the end of last year means the cost to refinance some of those liabilities has risen. Add to that the uncertainty of rising regulatory risks, and some investors are getting cold feet.
We are waiting to figure out where those noises are leading to, before investing,said Sean Chang, head of Asian debt investment at Baring Asset Management.
The companies high leverage is a key concern, according to Christopher Lee, managing director of corporate ratings at S&P Global Ratings.
What confounds me is they are highly leveraged and continue to get financing by lenders, both offshore and onshore, and the financing is not always transparent, Lee said. Now that CBRC has started to look into their financing, it may be more difficult for them to get funding for overseas acquisitions.
The companies have at times turned to financing channels that dont require the level of public disclosure that bond markets do.
Your cheat sheet on life, in one weekly email.
Get our weekly Game Plan newsletter.
In one recent example involving a form of shadow financing, HNA Group was seeking trust funding in the local market last quarter for at least 4.5 billion yuan, according to Lawrence Yu, founder of Totodi Technology, a provider of regulatory compliance services to trust firms, private equity companies and asset managers in China. The firm was offering rates as high as 7 percent, higher than the average rate on such deals in the nation, according to Yu.
We would tend to be conservative and avoid those companies that could potentially suffer from headline risks arising from central government policies and initiatives, said Todd Schubert, head of fixed-income research at Bank of Singapore, the private banking unit of Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp.
The changes mean that investors can no longer rely solely on analysis of fundamentals, relative value and technicals, according toRaymond Chia, head of credit research for Asia ex-Japan at Schroder Investment Management in Singapore.
Now, the regulatory aspect surrounding Chinese companies, which is always an unknown, is taking on a larger life form and posing higher risks, he said.
With assistance by Judy Chen, Denise Wee, and Lianting Tu
Read more from the original source:
China’s $162 Billion of Dealmaker Debt Raises Alarm – Bloomberg
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- Prosecutors request more mental testing in Fayetteville murder case - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Lake Charles man accused of choking pregnant woman in front of child - KATC Lafayette News - July 31st, 2017
- Lake Charles man charged after hitting pregnant woman in face, choking her until she passes out - 12newsnow.com - July 31st, 2017
- China Inc.'s Next Debt Headache Is $580 Billion of Put Options Coming Due - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- Tampa man arrested in fatal motel shooting | Tampa Bay Times - Tampabay.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Leslie Potts - Murfreesboro Post - July 31st, 2017
- LOVELL,, Harvey Lee - Roanoke Times - July 30th, 2017
- China Bond Buyers Quiz Taxi Drivers to See If a Credit Is Good - Bloomberg - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Celebrating the designer's extraordinary costumes for Bram Stoker's Dracula - The Independent - July 12th, 2017
- Home Movies/Out on Digital: July 13, 2017 - Shepherd Express - July 11th, 2017
- Leptospirosis rears its ugly head - The Star Online - July 11th, 2017
- Arrests, July 11, 2017 - News-Press Now - July 11th, 2017
- Lubbock Police Arrest 16-Year-Old Boy Wanted in Murder - KFYO.com - News/Talk 790 KFYO - July 8th, 2017
- Teen arrested for Selma shooting that left star athlete dead - Idaho Statesman - July 8th, 2017
- Hip and shoulder ends police chase - Perth Now - July 6th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero