A monument in Baltimore to Christopher Columbus believed to be the first one erected to the Italian explorer in America was vandalized.
Baltimore Police said they were looking into the incident, but couldnt say when the damage took place.
A video posted to YouTube on Monday by a user named Popular Resistance shows a man striking the base of the monument near Herring Run Park repeatedly with a sledgehammer. Another person holds a sign that reads: Racism, tear it down. Another sign is taped to the monument reading: The future is racial and economic justice.
Police are searching for information about the men in the video, as well as whoever filmed it.
We want to inform people it is a crime to destroy property. And if the person is identified who is responsible for this, they will be prosecuted, said police spokesman T.J. Smith.
The narrator of the video, who says his name is Ty, calls Christopher Columbus a genocidal terrorist.
The monument, which features a two-story-tall obelisk atop a base, was still standing on Monday morning, but there was a gaping hole in the front and chunks of stone were scattered in the grass. The signs seen in the video were lying on the ground.
The lettering on the front of the monument Sacred to the memory of Chris. Columbus, Octob. XII, MDCCVIIIC was rendered unreadable.
The vandalism comes nearly one week after city officials swiftly removed four controversial monuments: a statue of Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, the Confederate Womens monument, the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument and a statue of Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, who authored the 1857 Dred Scott decision that upheld slavery.
In Annapolis, state officials followed suit and removed a Taney statue there early Friday morning.
Ever since white supremacists protested the removal of a Lee statue in Charlottesville, Va. last month, government officials across the country have begun to re-examine their monuments and statues.
The rally in Virginia turned deadly: A counter-protester was killed when a Neo-Nazi sympathizer allegedly drove his car into a crowd, and two police officers monitoring the scene died when their helicopter crashed.
The celebration of Columbus exploits in the Americas has long been criticized by those who feel the Italian explorers misdeeds are too often glossed over. Many associate Columbus, who is often falsely credited with discovering what is now the United States, with enslaving, brutalizing and killing the native people he encountered in his travels.
Columbus statues and monuments have been defaced and damaged over the years, as more people learn about Columbus deadly legacy.
This is happening everywhere, said Kevin Caira, president of the Sons of Italys Commission for Social Justice. Over the weekend, a Columbus statue in Boston was painted red and a protest was held at a statue in Detroit, he said.
In 2015, someone splashed red paint and planted a hatchet on the head of a bronze statue of Columbus in Detroit, according to the Detroit News.
Caira said theres been an uptick in attention to Columbus monuments since the events in Charlottesville, as people rethink the value of statues in public places.
Caira defended Columbus as a great explorer who may not be guilty of all of the sins ascribed to him. He also suggested its unfair to measure a 15th-century figure by 21st-century morals and standards.
Hes been the target of people claiming he caused all of the ills of the world, that he caused genocide and slavery, Caira said. Its just not true.
The Columbus Day holiday also has been a casualty of increased knowledge about the Italian explorer. The Baltimore City Council last year considered renaming Columbus Day, celebrated in October, as Indigenous Peoples and Italian-Americans Day. The bill, which was introduced at the behest of students, failed.
In recent decades, a number of American cities have moved to change the Columbus Day holiday. Albuquerque, N.M., Portland, Ore., and St. Paul, Minn. are among those who dropped Columbus in favor of an Indigenous Peoples Day. The state of Vermont added an Indigenous Peoples day last fall.
The obelisk at Herring Run is believed to be the first monument in the country to honor Columbus, erected in 1792 by Frenchman Chevalier dAnemours. The obelisk was on his estate at what is now the intersection of Harford Road and North Avenue, currently the site of the Eastside District Court building.
The Columbus obelisk was moved to its current location on Harford Road near Parkside Drive in 1963, according to newspaper accounts. A plaque indicates it was re-dedicated by then Mayor Theodore R. McKeldin in 1964.
For a time, some believed that the obelisk honored not the Italian explorer, but rather a horse of the same name, according to historical newspaper accounts.
Its not the only monument to Columbus in Baltimore. Theres a statue of Columbus installed in 1892 in Druid Hill Park, where wasps built a large hive between his legs in 2015. There also is a Columbus statue in Harbor East, dedicated by President Ronald Reagan in 1984. Before that statue was built, Little Italy activists had failed in an attempt to get the city to move the Druid Hill statue to their neighborhood.
Police said Monday afternoon that damage has not been discovered at any other monuments in the city. Anyone with information about the damage to the Columbus obelisk is asked to call detectives at 410-396-2444.
Police are continuing to investigate damage that was done last week to an anti-hate statue known as the Madre Luz that was erected on the site of the Lee-Jackson memorial at the Wyman Park Dell.
Baltimore Sun reporter Jessica Anderson and research librarian Paul McCardell contributed to this report.
Read the original:
Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore – Baltimore Sun
- Tottenham Hotspur Stadium by Populous is "best stadium in the ... - May 4th, 2019
- Melbourne doctor who called for women to be raped stood down ... - May 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 15th, 2019
- Sword and dagger killer Christopher Lee Price: Alabama ... - April 13th, 2019
- Alabama inmate Christopher Lee Price spared lethal injection ... - April 12th, 2019
- A Heavy Metal Christmas by Christopher Lee on Amazon Music ... - April 10th, 2019
- Sir Christopher Lee | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | FANDOM ... - April 7th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - cinemorgue.fandom.com - March 18th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Hammer House Of Horror Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 17th, 2019
- 'Star Wars:' Christopher Lee's Count Dooku fight - Business ... - March 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - seyfarth.com - March 1st, 2019
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- Prosecutors request more mental testing in Fayetteville murder case - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Lake Charles man accused of choking pregnant woman in front of child - KATC Lafayette News - July 31st, 2017
- Lake Charles man charged after hitting pregnant woman in face, choking her until she passes out - 12newsnow.com - July 31st, 2017
- China Inc.'s Next Debt Headache Is $580 Billion of Put Options Coming Due - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- Tampa man arrested in fatal motel shooting | Tampa Bay Times - Tampabay.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero