Christopher Lee appears at his sentencing Tuesday in San Bernardino County Superior Court. He was sentenced to life in prison after being convicted this month of killing Erin Corwin.(Photo: Colin Atagi/The Desert Sun)Buy Photo
A San Bernardino County Superior Court judge sentenced a former Twentynine Palms Marine to life in prison without parolefor killing another Marine’s wife, who disappeared in 2014 and was found weeks later at the bottom of a 100-foot mine shaft near Joshua Tree.
Christopher Lee was sentenced Tuesday after friends and family spent an hour reading statements and explaining their suffering following the death of Erin Corwin.
Lee was convicted Nov. 3 for killing her. Jurors found him guilty of murder and lying in wait – a sentencing enhancement based on prosecutors’ argumentthat Lee planned Corwin’s death and lured her into a trap.
In his own statement to the court Tuesday,Lee denied the killing was premeditated and he said he never wanted to kill Corwin. But he maintained responsibility and said he was “truly sorry” about the murder.
Following the hearing, prosecutor Sean Daugherty said Lee’s statement and details of events were”nonsense.”
“He had to form a story to mitigate the damage,” Daugherty said.
Last month,Lee admitted on the stand that he strangled Corwinduring a fit of anger outside the remote mine. Jurors reached their verdict after just three hours of deliberation that mostly focused on Lee’s intent, said San Bernardino resident Angela Gioia, who was among the jurors who attended Lee’s sentencing.
He sat silently in the jury boxbeside his attorney as Corwin’s family members addressed the murder, with various photos of her appearing on the courtroom screen.Lee stared straight and rarely turned his head toward the speakers to his right or the photos to his left.
Corwin’s husband, Jonathan, spoke briefly and thanked the prosecutor, jurors and investigators for their efforts. Other family members talked of fond memories with Corwin and the pain they felt when she disappeared and was later found.
“I feel I should’ve been able to protect Erin, somehow,” said her older sister, Kristy Bauerlein.
Family members added they would never get to enjoy holidays with her and their children would never get to know their aunt. The trial became a burden because it forced them to save money and adjust schedules in case they had to fly in from various parts of the country.
Corwin’s mother, Lore Heavlin, said her daughter was supposed to be safe living at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, but unbeknownst to everyone, she lived near a “predator.”
“The one thing that haunted me through all this was, what was going through Erin’s mind when she was attacked from behind by someone she trusted?” Heavlin said.
Corwin, the wife ofanother Marine from the Twentynine Palms base,was reported missing June 29, 2014 just days before her 20th birthday. Law enforcement officials and community members spent several weeks searching more than 300 square miles, including portions ofJoshua Tree National Park, Corwin’slast known destination.
On Aug. 16, 2014, investigators found Corwin’s body in an abandoned mine shaft. They had searchedmore than 100 others in an area riddled with abandoned minesa few miles southeast of Twentynine Palms, outside of Joshua Tree National Park.
At the mine where Corwin’s body was discovered, investigators also found shell casings, pieces of rebar and a propane tank similar to ones that Lee owned.
They arrested him the next day inAlaska, where he and his family moved after Corwin went missing.Court documents showed Lee admitted to searching the internet for information on disposing of bodies.
Officials said Corwin was pregnant with Lee’s child and he was focused on hiding the affair. Heavlin said the affair did not justify her daughter’s murder.
“All Chris had to do was move to Alaska and change his phone number,” she said Tuesday.
Lee testified in court that the killing was a spur-of-the-moment decision.
Lee and Corwin met for what she thought would bea romantic evening that may have included a marriage proposal. Instead, Lee testified, they arguedbecause he’dbeen suicidal for a month andwanted to kill himselfoutside the mine.
He said he’dbeen distraught, in part, because he was denied deployment. This bothered jurorGioia, a U.S. Army veteran who said members of the military are tasked with protecting others.
“He did none of that to Erin; he took her life,” she said.
Lee also became angry becausehe said he suspected Corwin molested his daughter. Heavlin said there was no evidence of that and she criticized Lee for using his daughter as a defense tool.
“I cannot imagine putting your daughter’s name into the public record to save yourself,” she said.
Lee said he approached Corwinfrom behind and strangled her for at least five minutes with a garrote made up of two pieces of rebar and a cord. He released his hold, and her body fell to the ground. He spent 30 seconds checking if she was alivebut found no signs of life.
Lee testified he then dragged the body to the mineshaft and pushed Corwinin head-first.
Following Tuesday’s statements, San Bernardino County Superior Court Judge J. David Mazurek said he learned a lot about Corwin during the trial and he empathized with family members.
“I’m sorry I can’t give you true justice in this case, which is returning Erin to you,” he said. “I’m sorry I can’t return that vibrant person to you.”
Read or Share this story: http://desert.sn/2gFP6fH
See original here:
Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin …
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- Prosecutors request more mental testing in Fayetteville murder case - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Lake Charles man accused of choking pregnant woman in front of child - KATC Lafayette News - July 31st, 2017
- Lake Charles man charged after hitting pregnant woman in face, choking her until she passes out - 12newsnow.com - July 31st, 2017
- China Inc.'s Next Debt Headache Is $580 Billion of Put Options Coming Due - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- Tampa man arrested in fatal motel shooting | Tampa Bay Times - Tampabay.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Leslie Potts - Murfreesboro Post - July 31st, 2017
- LOVELL,, Harvey Lee - Roanoke Times - July 30th, 2017
- China Bond Buyers Quiz Taxi Drivers to See If a Credit Is Good - Bloomberg - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Celebrating the designer's extraordinary costumes for Bram Stoker's Dracula - The Independent - July 12th, 2017
- Home Movies/Out on Digital: July 13, 2017 - Shepherd Express - July 11th, 2017
- Leptospirosis rears its ugly head - The Star Online - July 11th, 2017
- Arrests, July 11, 2017 - News-Press Now - July 11th, 2017
- Lubbock Police Arrest 16-Year-Old Boy Wanted in Murder - KFYO.com - News/Talk 790 KFYO - July 8th, 2017
- Teen arrested for Selma shooting that left star athlete dead - Idaho Statesman - July 8th, 2017
- Hip and shoulder ends police chase - Perth Now - July 6th, 2017
- Man in Mercedes who 'rammed' Fremantle parking inspector arrested after chase - WAtoday - July 6th, 2017
- Shooting suspect in Alamance jail - Burlington Times News - July 6th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero