Safety first: People are advised to rinse cans before consuming the drink.
PETALING JAYA: The spotlight is once again on leptospirosis after it was revealed that the young tahfiz student from Johor, whose assault case made headlines, had died of the rat urine disease.
Leptospirosis remains a concern in Malaysia, as the number of cases had steadily increased from 2011 to 2015 although it dropped last year.
The Health Ministrys statistics show that in 2011, there were 2,268 cases and it had continuously increased to 8,291 cases in 2015.
The cases dropped to 5,284 last year, but efforts must continue to bring the numbers down further.
The statistics also revealed that in 2011, 55 people died of the disease.
There were 78 deaths in 2015 and it dropped to 52 last year.
Sungai Buloh Hospital infectious disease head Datuk Dr Christopher Lee said leptospirosis was endemic in countries that have rodents and the only way to fight it is to take care of general cleanliness.
Rats are linked to environmental cleanliness.
If our surroundings are clean and we have no contact with rodents, our rate of leptospirosis drops drastically, he said.
Dr Lee said that people should ensure that their factories, homes, offices, restaurants are clean as it is a public duty.
Dont throw food on the floor. It is bad attitude to think that there are people paid to clean up public areas. How many people can clean up every hour?
If my mother cleans the room, it does not mean that one can throw things on the floor, he said.
Dr Lee said that if people do their part, enforcement officers and cleaners do not have to go in every hour but perhaps once or twice a week only.
Like dengue, how often do you want enforcement officers to check? That attitude has to change.
Asked if rainwater could wash away rat urine at picnic areas, he said pool edges have stagnant water which may be contaminated.
He also said that they could also reduce exposure to the bacteria by wearing proper shoes or boots and clothing when they go into forests for eco-adventure activities such as trekking and picnics.
He said the protective gear would keep the body from getting cuts and abrasions that allow bacteria to enter the body.
Dr Lee also advised parents to stop children from playing in flood waters as flood water is not clean and could bring also bring diseases like cholera and typhoid.
Although there were no documented cases of leptospirosis being spread by drinking from can drinks or bottles, he said it was good practice to clean the can or bottle or pour the drink out into a glass.
Most people infected with leptospirosis have mild symptoms such as fever, body aches and back aches but there are leptospirosis variants that could lead to kidney and liver failure.
Act to keep rats in check, public urged
Principal: No signs of leptospirosis on school grounds
Once bitten, twice shy, says disease survivor
Keep area clean at all times, Lubuk Timah operators told
One family finds relief while another cries in disbelief
Source of boys infection being traced
Read more from the original source:
Leptospirosis rears its ugly head – The Star Online
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- Prosecutors request more mental testing in Fayetteville murder case - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Lake Charles man accused of choking pregnant woman in front of child - KATC Lafayette News - July 31st, 2017
- Lake Charles man charged after hitting pregnant woman in face, choking her until she passes out - 12newsnow.com - July 31st, 2017
- China Inc.'s Next Debt Headache Is $580 Billion of Put Options Coming Due - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- Tampa man arrested in fatal motel shooting | Tampa Bay Times - Tampabay.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Leslie Potts - Murfreesboro Post - July 31st, 2017
- LOVELL,, Harvey Lee - Roanoke Times - July 30th, 2017
- China Bond Buyers Quiz Taxi Drivers to See If a Credit Is Good - Bloomberg - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Celebrating the designer's extraordinary costumes for Bram Stoker's Dracula - The Independent - July 12th, 2017
- Home Movies/Out on Digital: July 13, 2017 - Shepherd Express - July 11th, 2017
- Arrests, July 11, 2017 - News-Press Now - July 11th, 2017
- Lubbock Police Arrest 16-Year-Old Boy Wanted in Murder - KFYO.com - News/Talk 790 KFYO - July 8th, 2017
- Teen arrested for Selma shooting that left star athlete dead - Idaho Statesman - July 8th, 2017
- Hip and shoulder ends police chase - Perth Now - July 6th, 2017
- Man in Mercedes who 'rammed' Fremantle parking inspector arrested after chase - WAtoday - July 6th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero