GERARDO ZAVALA, Associate EditorAugust 28, 2017 260 viewsFiled under News, Top Stories
The Associated Student Government Election Commission gathered early Aug. 25, 2017 in the Student Senate room and decided to disqualify Student President Charlotte Donnay Rochard for breaking election rules last semester.
Rochard was accused of breaking the solicitation rule by approaching students near or on computers in the computer science lab and reminding them to vote, the same rule Student Advocate-Elect Christopher Lee had broken and been disqualified for.
I had voted yes in the last case with Christopher and Krystle and I knew my logic behind that and I brought that mindset with me to this case, said Student Trustee David Panbehchi.
The commission was comprised of Panbehchi, Student Advocate Krystle Farmer, Vice President of Internal Affairs Joshua Villanueva, Vice President of External Affairs Matthew Esguerra, and Vice President of Operations and Finance Yeihoon Choi.
Julia Pizza, former News Editor at The Channels, submitted the accusation to the student government early May after discovering that student advocate Christopher Lee had been disqualified for doing the same thing.
Pizza had taken a Snapchat of Rochard walking around the Computer Science lab allegedly telling students to vote and sent it to Editor-in-Chief Alyssa Durant, but did not know at the time it was against the rules thus did not save the snapchat.
She could not attend the meeting in person because she moved, but she sent the Associated Student Government a video testimony.
For someone to have been disqualified for doing something that she had done, I just dont think it would be fair for [the student government] not to take this accusation seriously, Pizza said in her video.
The evidence presented against Charlotte was Pizzas accusation and video statement, a phone call from Durant and a video accusation from student Stuart Brown saying he had been approached in the library by Rochard and told who to vote for.
Rochard defended herself by bringing in people who spoke well of her character and by making videos of students who had allegedly been in the computer science lab the week of the elections claiming they hadnt seen her breaking any of the election rules.
Rochard presented four videos with four different people, three of which she admitted were her friends, all saying similar statements including that they spend a lot of time in the lab and that they never saw Rochard campaigning there during election week.
James Howard, a lab teaching assistant for the Computer Science Department, was quoted in a previous Channels article. At the meeting Friday, he called Pizza unprofessional, saying he believes she took what he said out of context and that he was explicit that he did not want statements he said to hurt Rochard. However, Howard never told Pizza anything he said was off the record.
Although there was a lack of evidence in the form of pictures or videos against Rochard, the first-hand witnesses of her actions were enough to convince three of the five members of the commission to disqualify the accused president.
I just looked at both sides and all of her evidence was a logical fallacy, she just brought in people that said that they didnt see it, Esguerra said.
Villanueva will take on the role of Interim President while still maintaining his current position until the student government meets to discuss who the successor will be. He voted no against disqualifying Charlotte because he believed Howards statement had discredited Pizzas accusation.
He is a supervisor, he should know what is happening in the area, Villanueva said. If someone is campaigning throughout the area which he said wasnt happening, then he should know that, but he said that wasnt happening.
The formation of the election commission almost never happened because of misunderstandings between Advisor Chris Johnson and the Associated Student Government on the bylaws regarding commission creation after the end of the semester. Panbehchi, Choi and Villanueva helped clear up the confusion by contacting Lorenzo R. Cuesta, a Parliamentarian who trains student governments in legal and procedural acts and rules. With Cuestas help, they were able to form the election commission which led to Rochards removal.
- BFI acquires three never-before-seen Christopher Lee ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Tottenham Hotspur Stadium by Populous is "best stadium in the ... - May 4th, 2019
- Melbourne doctor who called for women to be raped stood down ... - May 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 15th, 2019
- Sword and dagger killer Christopher Lee Price: Alabama ... - April 13th, 2019
- Alabama inmate Christopher Lee Price spared lethal injection ... - April 12th, 2019
- A Heavy Metal Christmas by Christopher Lee on Amazon Music ... - April 10th, 2019
- Sir Christopher Lee | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | FANDOM ... - April 7th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - cinemorgue.fandom.com - March 18th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Hammer House Of Horror Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 17th, 2019
- 'Star Wars:' Christopher Lee's Count Dooku fight - Business ... - March 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - seyfarth.com - March 1st, 2019
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- Prosecutors request more mental testing in Fayetteville murder case - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Lake Charles man accused of choking pregnant woman in front of child - KATC Lafayette News - July 31st, 2017
- Lake Charles man charged after hitting pregnant woman in face, choking her until she passes out - 12newsnow.com - July 31st, 2017
- China Inc.'s Next Debt Headache Is $580 Billion of Put Options Coming Due - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero