Atmore, Ala. — Fighting a ticking clock and an unresolved legal battle, Alabama late Thursday halted plans to execute an inmate, saying there would not be time to carry out the lethal injection that evening.
A federal judge on Thursday stayed the execution of 46-year-old Christopher Lee Price to weigh his challenge to Alabama’s execution process. Alabama urged the U.S. Supreme Court to let it carry out the execution, but prison officials announced at 11:34 p.m. they would not have time to carry out the lethal injection that evening even if the court ruled in the state’s favor.
A divided high court ended up lifting the stay early Friday morning.
Because the death warrant setting Price’s execution date expired at midnight, the state will now have to seek a new date if the courts allow the execution to proceed.
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey and state Attorney General Steve Marshall said they would continue to pursue the death sentence for Price.
“This evening, the state of Alabama witnessed a miscarriage of justice,” Ivey said in a statement. “This horrendous crime left Pastor Lynn’s wife and family to grieve, and now, almost 30 years later, the family is still left with no closure,” Ivey said.
Price was convicted of using a sword and dagger to fatally stab Church of Christ pastor Bill Lynn in 1991 as he prepared Christmas gifts for his grandchildren.
Prosecutors said Lynn, 57, was at his Fayette County home getting toys ready for his grandchildren when the power was cut. Lynn went outside to check the fuse box when he was killed, according to court filings.
Lynn’s wife, Bessie Lynn, testified that she was in an upstairs bedroom watching television when she heard a noise. She said she looked out a window and saw a person dressed in black in a karate stance, holding a sword above her husband’s head.
Bessie Lynn said she went outside to help her husband, but two men ordered her back in the house and demanded money and any jewelry and weapons they had. An autopsy showed that Lynn had been cut or stabbed more than 30 times.
A second man, Kelvin Coleman, pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in prison.
The decision to halt the scheduled execution concluded a lengthy evening as the victim’s family and the inmate awaited word about whether the courts would let the state proceed with the lethal injection that was originally scheduled for 6 p.m.
Family members of the slain pastor, including Bessie Lynn and their daughters, had planned to witness the lethal injection, prison system spokesperson Samantha Banks said.
Price on Wednesday had married his fiance in the visitation yard of the prison after making a final request to hold the wedding ceremony before his execution.
He ordered two pints of Turtle Tracks ice cream for his final meal.
The last-minute bid to stop the execution centered on Price’s request to be put to death by breathing nitrogen gas, an execution method the state has authorized but not used.
Alabama in 2018 authorized nitrogen hypoxia as an alternative for carrying out death sentences. However, the state has not used nitrogen in an execution or developed procedures to do so.
Price’s attorneys argued that Alabama’s lethal injection drug combination has led to “botched” executions and that nitrogen hypoxia would be less painful.
U.S. Supreme Court precedent says inmates challenging a state’s method of execution must show that there is an available alternative that is also likely to be less painful. The state argued in court filings that even though nitrogen hypoxia is authorized under Alabama law, it is unavailable because the state has been unable to “procure the means for executing someone with nitrogen gas.”
Price’s attorneys pointed to the fact that Alabama has allowed inmates to select nitrogen as their preferred execution method.
According to the state, 48 of the more than 170 inmates on death row have elected to be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia. Alabama said Price missed a deadline to select nitrogen as his preferred execution method.
Alabama has carried out one execution so far this year. In February, inmate Dominique Ray was executed for the 1995 murder of a 15-year-old girl.
Go here to read the rest:
Sword and dagger killer Christopher Lee Price: Alabama …
- Christopher Lee Price execution: Alabama executes man for ... - May 31st, 2019
- Death penalty: Alabama set to execute Christopher Lee ... - May 31st, 2019
- The Pandora Society Sir Christopher Lees Top Five Movie Roles. - May 28th, 2019
- Christopher Lee's photo scrapbooks with previously unseen images ... - May 28th, 2019
- BFI acquires three never-before-seen Christopher Lee ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Tottenham Hotspur Stadium by Populous is "best stadium in the ... - May 4th, 2019
- Melbourne doctor who called for women to be raped stood down ... - May 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 15th, 2019
- Alabama inmate Christopher Lee Price spared lethal injection ... - April 12th, 2019
- A Heavy Metal Christmas by Christopher Lee on Amazon Music ... - April 10th, 2019
- Sir Christopher Lee | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | FANDOM ... - April 7th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - cinemorgue.fandom.com - March 18th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Hammer House Of Horror Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 17th, 2019
- 'Star Wars:' Christopher Lee's Count Dooku fight - Business ... - March 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - seyfarth.com - March 1st, 2019
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero