The long-awaited Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has opened in north London, featuringa retractable pitch that can host both Premier League football matches and American football.
Built on the site of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club’s former home White Hart Lane, the62,062-seater stadiumdesigned by Populous will host its first Premier League match tonight.
Along with being the home to Tottenham Hotspur, the multipurpose stadium is the first outside the USA to be designed to host NFL games, with a fully retractable natural turf pitch that can be removed to reveal an artificial playing surface.
“It is a benchmark of how stadiums should be designed,”Christopher Lee, managing director of Populous told Dezeen.
“This is a game changer. There is no doubt in my mind that the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the best stadium in the world.”
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium’s most distinctive feature is the17,500 capacity South Stand, which is the largest single-tier stand in the UK.
It is topped with a glass walkway, where visitors can walk out to touch the cockerel above the stand.
Populous designed the South Stand to help create a “wall of sound” within the stadium and help create a distinctive unique feel to the ground.
“We wanted to create a seating bowl that had identity, that had character, that wasn’t just a symmetrical ubiquitous stadium that you didn’t know where you are, didn’t know which stand you were in,” said Lee.
Below the South Stand is afive-storey-high glass atrium with two large tree-like columns that support the structure. This area, called The Market, is a large food and drinks hall that contains a65-metre bar Europe’s longest.
The space is intended to be used as a gathering place before and after the matches, as well as being opened up for events.
It is one of several features designed to maximise the functionality of the building, along with the media room, which willbe used as a cafe on non-game days, and the micro-brewery operated byBeavertown Brewery.
“It seems insane to have built stadiums of this size that would only be used for one team every other week,” said Lee.
“Here it was very much about creating genuinely a kind of civic building. To have the community come in and use the cafe or brewery or in the south stand, I think that’s great.”
Being able to remove the turf pitch, which is separated into three parts before being rolled under the south stand for storage, is key to this strategy.As well as being able to play American football, it means the space can easily and quickly be converted into a venue for concerts and events.
“We are designing an economic resilience into the building by cleverly creating spaces that have multiple uses,” continued Lee.
According to Lee, the club’s main aim for the stadium was for all fans to have a greatmatch day experience, no matter how much they are paying.
“We have always treated general admissions fans really badly,” said Lee.
“Cheapest tickets are still expensive and they are treated really badly come in here, do this, drink some overpriced bad beer and then leave. Here the idea is that it is much more democratic everyone has a great experience.”
Key to this strategy was creating a full-day experience, with numerous different options for fans.
In the general admission areas, ticket holders can explore the full length of the concourse, which along with The Market and micro-brewery hasthree pub-style bars inspired by White Hart Lane.
“We looked at a lot of stadiums around the world. One of the things we really liked about NFL stadiums, is the ability to move freely around the building,” continued Lee.
“Football used to be much like the theatre, you are rushed in, went to the theatre and had a quick drink at half time. Now there is the idea that people go for a much longer time, its a day out rather than just a 90-minute game.”
The stadium also has a huge variety of private and corporate suites and bars. These include The Tunnel Club, a restaurant and bar with a glass-wall that will allowguests to watch as players walk from the changing rooms to the pitch.
Two further exclusive spaces, names Sky Lounges, at the top of theEast and West stands will give spectators panoramic views of the pitch.
Throughout the project Populous wanted to create a football stadium that was both modern and authentic.
“We were really interested in what makes an authentic football experience,” said Lee.
“The club wanted to created higher quality, but how do you do that without losing the bits of football that we love? How do you create higher quality without becoming Selfridges food hall, which is really easy to tip into as a designer.”
Alongside the stadium, the Tottenham Experience includes the club’s museum, archives, shop and a cafe. The building, which has a facade made form CNC-cutcast iron, extendseitherside of therestored Grade II-listed Warmington House.
Now the stadium is complete, the second phase of theTottenham Hotspur’s development of the site is set to begin. This will include a180-bedroom hotel,an extreme sports building with the UK’s tallest climbing wall, a community health centre and 222 new affordable homes.
Populous is one of the world’s most prolific stadium designers. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the third large stadium designed by Populous in the capital with Arsenal’sEmirates stadium opening in 2006 and Wembley for the English national football team in 2007.
Having creating several of the stadiums that hosted games at the World Cup in 2018, the studio is now designing a spherical arena in London, and themasterplan for Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
Photography is by Hufton + Crow, unless stated.
- Christopher Lee Price execution: Alabama executes man for ... - May 31st, 2019
- Death penalty: Alabama set to execute Christopher Lee ... - May 31st, 2019
- The Pandora Society Sir Christopher Lees Top Five Movie Roles. - May 28th, 2019
- Christopher Lee's photo scrapbooks with previously unseen images ... - May 28th, 2019
- BFI acquires three never-before-seen Christopher Lee ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Melbourne doctor who called for women to be raped stood down ... - May 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 15th, 2019
- Sword and dagger killer Christopher Lee Price: Alabama ... - April 13th, 2019
- Alabama inmate Christopher Lee Price spared lethal injection ... - April 12th, 2019
- A Heavy Metal Christmas by Christopher Lee on Amazon Music ... - April 10th, 2019
- Sir Christopher Lee | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | FANDOM ... - April 7th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - cinemorgue.fandom.com - March 18th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Hammer House Of Horror Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 17th, 2019
- 'Star Wars:' Christopher Lee's Count Dooku fight - Business ... - March 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - seyfarth.com - March 1st, 2019
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero