Id love to say our holiday was thought through down to every last detail. It certainly wasnt. It was an exercise in purespontaneity. My partner and I only decided on the destination Romania three weeks before we set off last August and ahead of leaving, snatched moments to throw together a very loose plan for a road trip through Transylvania.
Theres wolves and Gothic castles and we might even wear Van Helsing hats, we exclaimed to anyone who questioned our choice, while showing them pictures of gorgeous countryside that a Google search quickly rendered.
Plus, Prince Charles has a house there so it must be pretty good.
The idea was to fly into Cluj Napoca (known as Cluj) in the north and explore the region, driving south towards Bucharest, from where we would fly home. We booked a room for our first night, and figured wed find our other accommodation along the way, relying on Airbnb and theinternet with the backup that we could always sleep in the car.
Cluj is one of Romanias biggest cities and used to be Transylvanias capital, but it didnt look like much as we drove in from the airport more 1960 concrete blocks than 1260 medievalstonework. Our apartment, inside one of the compounds of communist-era blocks, was massive inside, with a balcony that looked over the city and decor that hadnt changed since the Eighties (or maybe earlier), but at 25 a night we werent complaining.
We spent the evening in the Old Town, a mix of medieval and fussy Baroque facades. The real scene stealer here is St Michaels Church. Dark, Gothic and imposing, it is the obvious centre of Cluj, and the cafs in the surrounding Unirii Square are a good place to get a beer. We soon found ourselves telling each other macabre made-up stories, as we stared into the darkened windows of the church and thought about our next stop: Transylvania.
After a bit of late-night internet research, we decided that to get to the heart of the matter in Transylvania we needed to stay somewhere really remote. So we booked the next twonights at an Airbnb farmhouse in Cund, a small village three hours south of Cluj. After confirming, our host inCund, Istvan, said we should stop off en route at Salina Turda, a former salt mine, now a tourist attraction. What on earth did Istvan mean? Was I that interested in salt? Actually, it turned out I was. A subterranean cave of epic proportions, and complete with illuminated jetty and boating lake, the Turda salt mine has more in common with a Star Wars set than a museum. We happily lost a couple of hours in the chilly microclimate, before we were back upto the real world, where it was 86F (30C) and sunny and we were munching on langos a delicious fried bread.
When we finally reached the tiny town of Cund the locals in the street stopped and stared. We later found out this was because our Bucharest number plate marked us out as metropolitan interlopers. But Istvan welcomed us with homemade apple juice, butter, jams, cheese, and another tip: the Valea Verde a nearby restaurant on the culinary map for Romanians as far away as Bucharest.
That night, we tramped up there on a dark, mud track aiming for a small light in the distance. On the menu was potato soup, cheese curds honey and homemade bread, a main of duck, and a rich cake to finish. Everything on the table was grown, raised, or baked within a mile of where we were sat, and prepared by an unflappable team of local women, who finished their shift with cigarettes in the garden while we drank the house negronis late into the night. The five-course set menu paired with Romanian wines cost us 45 expensive for Romania, excellent value almost anywhere else in Europe.
Wed seen the remote side of Transylvania, so what next? We took another punt on Google, which told us that a 40-minute day trip from Cund was Sighisoara, a Unesco-listed citadel originally built into a rock face built by the Transylvanian Saxons in around 1280. We wandered through its cobbled streets, and briefly considered kitting ourselves out in various leather and linen outfits that were on offer from the shops. At one edge of the citadel we reached the Biserica din Deal, an understated church with a hillside Lutheran graveyard which, perched 1,407ft up from sea level, enjoys a pretty good view over the Greater Tarnava Valley. It was a place to pause before investigating the painted houses and trinket shops below like a seaside town, without the sea.
We had two days left and, over our last breakfast at Cund, deliberated how to spend it. We needed to finish in Bucharest, but the internet had higher praise for Brasov in the Carpathian Mountains so we managed to book a flat there for one night, and set off on the two-hour drive.
It was a beautiful road with views over wild flower meadows to castles and churches, then, high up on the slopes that overlook Brasov, I spotted the name of the city proudly displayed in white capital letters among the trees a bit like Hollywood.
Brasov has good reason to be confident. It has both beauty and history: massive stone walls and bastions built by the Saxons surround the city and the pretty central square. We wandered from our hillside apartment in an area of the town that had a feel of Montmartre, along cobbles and past cafs and curiosity shops toward the Black Church: the biggest, oldest, Gothic church in the land. It turned out that not far away was Bran Castle, one of the homes of Transylvanias famous literary export, Vlad the Impaler (aka Dracula), andsomewhere that, I learned too late, is rentable through Airbnb. It was one moment where a lack of advance planning caught us out.
After breakfast in Brasov outside a side street caf, we were ready to see the Carpathians up close. This was the most scenic drive of the trip. Ascending the mountains in a series of hairpin bends through fir forests, we gawped at the views over Brasov and the route wed left behind. As we came to flatter, comparatively boring land, we knew we were nearing the capital, and our apartment in one of Ceausescus featureless apartment blocks. Grotty, gritty Bucharest was a far cry from the prettiness of Brasov, or the peace of rural Cund, but we found some respite in Titan park, our local for one night only. That evening in the neon light of a late-night bar we found ourselves pining for the green hills and flower meadows wed left behind. Should we abandon our return flight and head back to Transylvania? That would have been taking spontaneity a step too far.
Flights: Wizz Air (wizzair.com) Gatwick to Cluj Napoca and Bucharest to Luton: 220
Car hire: 107 (VW Golf)
Accommodation (airbnb.com): 117 Cluj Napoca, 12.50 Cund Farmhouse, 60 (30 per night) Brasov 25, Bucharest 19.50
Grand total: 479 (all prices per person based on two travelling)
A budget road trip through Dracula country – Telegraph.co.uk
- Quotes from 'Dracula,' Bram Stoker's Horror Classic - May 23rd, 2019
- When Dracula Met Dracula: Gary Oldman & Luke Evans Unite ... - May 2nd, 2019
- James Bond actress Catherine Schell joins the cast of BBC1 ... - May 2nd, 2019
- Dracula, Bram Stoker - Essay - eNotes.com - May 2nd, 2019
- BBC, Netflix Dracula Series Sets Directors, Adds Cast ... - April 30th, 2019
- Mavis Dracula | Hotel Transylvania Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - April 29th, 2019
- Dracula (Character) - Giant Bomb - April 29th, 2019
- Category:Dracula - Wikimedia Commons - April 29th, 2019
- Dracula Untold 2 (2020) Will there be a sequel with Luke ... - April 27th, 2019
- Dracula Movies | List of the Best Films About Count Dracula - April 27th, 2019
- Dracula | Castlevania Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 15th, 2019
- SparkNotes: Dracula: Themes - April 13th, 2019
- Dracula (TV Series 20132014) - IMDb - April 5th, 2019
- Dracula | Buffyverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 4th, 2019
- Dracula | film by Browning  | Britannica.com - March 29th, 2019
- Vlad the Impaler | Biography, Dracula, & Facts | Britannica.com - March 24th, 2019
- Hark, a vagrant: 285 - March 21st, 2019
- Vampire | Penny Dreadful Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 8th, 2019
- Dracula (Castlevania) | Villains Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 4th, 2019
- Draculas Castle Is for Sale | Smart News | Smithsonian - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | I Wanna Be The Guy Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Free Lesson Plans | Teachers - February 19th, 2019
- Character List - CliffsNotes - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (Hotel Transylvania) | Heroes Wiki | FANDOM ... - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula - Whitby - February 19th, 2019
- Jew or Not Jew: Dracula - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (1931) - Filmsite.org - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Penny Dreadful Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula: The Crowns John Heffernan & Doll & Ems ... - February 14th, 2019
- Dracula - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki - February 10th, 2019
- Dracula ants set record for fastest animal movement: Study - December 13th, 2018
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - I Never Drink Wine (2/8) | Movieclips - December 1st, 2018
- Whitby Dracula, Connections Between Dracula, Whitby & Bram ... - November 30th, 2018
- Dracula | The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Wiki ... - November 30th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Watch Bram Stoker's Dracula | Prime Video - November 1st, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram ... - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Milwaukee Ballet - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Shmoop - October 31st, 2018
- Netflix & BBC One Board Dracula Series From Sherlock ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula TV Series Ordered at Netflix From Steven Moffat ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula Series from the Sherlock Team to Launch on BBC ... - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray ... - September 27th, 2018
- Dracula (9/10) Movie CLIP - Dracula and Van Helsing (1931) HD ... - August 24th, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram Stoker ... - August 22nd, 2018
- Dracula Powers, Villains, History, & More | Marvel - August 22nd, 2018
- DraculaA Summary | Britannica.com - August 13th, 2018
- Dracula Part 3 | C-S-S-A.com Celebrity Sex Stories Archive - July 22nd, 2018
- Dracula (Signet Classics): Bram Stoker, Leonard Wolf ... - July 6th, 2018
- Dracula | Monster High Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - June 28th, 2018
- Book Summary - Written by Teachers - June 28th, 2018
- Dracula | Marvel's Avengers Assemble Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - June 24th, 2018
- Dracula | Count Dracula | Dracula - scribd.com - October 19th, 2017
- Dracula - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source ... - September 27th, 2017
- Dracula by Bram Stoker - September 26th, 2017
- Gene Causing Dracula-Like Appearance Points to Vampire Origins ... - Inverse - September 7th, 2017
- Wolfeboro dancers to participate in Northeastern Ballet Theatre's 'Dracula' Sept. 16 - Conway Daily Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to ... - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula in Vegas - DVD Talk - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula prequel in development with It director Andy Muschietti - Looper - September 6th, 2017
- Late Night Likens Trump to Dracula, Hitler; Invokes 'White Supremacy' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Dracula Prequel in Development at Paramount With 'It' Director Andy Muschietti - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Rakul Preet Singh visits the birthplace of Dracula - BizAsia - September 6th, 2017
- Resurrecting Dracula with a Shake and Stir - The Adelaide Review - September 5th, 2017
- Rakul Preet shoots at the birthplace of Dracula | Tamil Movie News ... - Times of India - September 5th, 2017
- The dark side of books - Isle of Man Today - September 3rd, 2017
- PFAA production of Dracula to begin - Waynesville Daily Guide - September 1st, 2017
- Water handicaps restoration work on 'Dracula' castle ... - Hurriyet Daily News - August 28th, 2017
- Breon Arzell to Star in The Hypocrites' DRACULA at Mercury Theater Chicago - Broadway World - August 26th, 2017
- Dracula Uses One Guitar and Two Voices to Haunt With Intensity - Miami New Times - August 24th, 2017
- Theatre Review: Sink your teeth into shake & stir's bloody brilliant adaption of Dracula (At Brisbane's QPAC to ... - the AU review (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Holland theater group performs musical version of Dracula - HollandSentinel.com - August 19th, 2017
- Strand Theatre to have Dracula in October - MDJOnline.com - August 19th, 2017
- Imagine Dracula in Charge of the Blood Bank - Daily Mirror - August 17th, 2017
- Report of Body Leads CA Firefighters to Dracula - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Rescuers discover body in Modesto creek is Dracula - SFGate - August 14th, 2017
- Gaslighters set 'Dracula, the Musical?' tryouts - TheReporter.Com - August 13th, 2017
- Firefighters responded to report of possible body in creek. They found Dracula. - Modesto Bee - August 11th, 2017
- A trip to Dracula's birthplace won't bleed you dry | Spectator Life - Spectator.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula - A Century of Film - Yorkton This Week - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula to appear at blood donor clinic in Peterborough on Sept. 9 - Peterborough Examiner - August 9th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero