Sometime in the late nineteenth century, Jonathan Harker, a young English lawyer, is traveling to the Castle Dracula, which is located in Transylvania, in order to finalize a transfer of real estate in England to Count Dracula. Harker becomes extremely nervous when all of the local peasants react in fear after they hear of his destination; nevertheless, he continues on to the castle until he meets an emissary of the Count in the Borgo Pass. The mysterious coach driver continues on to the castle, arriving in pitch darkness, to the accompaniment of howling wolves.
Even though his accomodations are comfortable, Harker finds Count Dracula to be a pale, gaunt, thin man, rather strange, and Harker is mortified when, after accidentally cutting himself shaving, the Count lunges at Harker’s throat in “demoniac fury.” Harker soon finds himself imprisoned within the castle and assailed by three seductive female vampires, whom he can barely stave off. Harker also discovers the Count’s secret that is, the Count survives by drinking the blood of human beings and, now, he is intent on killing Harker. The Count escapes Jonathan’s attempt to kill him, and he swiftly leaves the castle with fifty boxes of earth, bound for England. The last we hear of Jonathan Harker, he is weak and sick, left alone with no visible means of escape from the castle.
The novel then shifts to England, where Harker’s fiance, Mina Murray, is visiting her friend Lucy Westenra, who has accepted the marriage proposal of Arthur Holmwood, while rejecting the proposals of Dr. John Seward, head of a lunatic asylum, and Quincey Morris, an American from Texas, currently visiting Holmwood. Mina’s two main concerns are that Lucy has taken up her old habit of sleepwalking, and that it is a long time since she has heard from her own fianc, Jonathan.
One night while the two women are out walking, they witness the approach of a strange ship. When the ship is wrecked on the beach, the only creature which survives is a huge dog, which quickly disappears. We soon discover that the wrecked ship is carrying fifty boxes of earth from the Castle Dracula.
Soon after the shipwreck, late one night, Mina discovers that Lucy is sleepwalking again. In her search, Mina discovers Lucy on the ladies’ favorite seat, near the graveyard overlooking the town. Mina is shocked to see hovering over Lucy a tall, thin, black shape, but when she arrives at Lucy’s side the shape has disappeared. When awakened, Lucy remembers nothing of what has happened, except that she is chilled. In wrapping Lucy against the cold, Mina assumes that she inadvertently pricked Lucy with a pin, for she sees two tiny red marks on Lucy’s neck. On later, successive nights, Lucy is often found standing at the women’s bedroom window; next to her is a creature which appears to be a large bird, but it is, in fact, a bat. Lucy’s health declines over the next few weeks, and because of this Mina refuses to tell Lucy about Lucy’s mother’s sickness. Meanwhile, Dr. Seward, Lucy’s former suitor, is unable to ascertain the cause of Lucy’s decline.
Soon, Mina hears from Jonathan, and so she leaves Lucy and goes to nurse him. Almost immediately, Lucy’s condition deteriorates, and Dr. Seward finds it necessary to wire for his old friend and mentor, Dr. Abraham Van Helsing, who offers another medical opinion. Van Helsing is particularly disturbed by the two tiny spots on Lucy’s throat and her apparent but unexplainable loss of blood since there are no signs of hemorrhage.
It becomes necessary to give Lucy numerous blood transfusions, and after each one she improves significantly, only to deteriorate quickly in the next couple of days. Van Helsing finally deems it necessary to drape Lucy’s room, as well as her neck, with garlic, a technique, we learn later, which is used to ward off vampires. Eventually, however, the vampire manages to evade the spells against him, and he attacks Lucy again. One significant night, an escaped wolf is used to smash the window of Lucy’s room. The wolf’s attack so frightens Lucy’s mother that she dies of shock, and Lucy, left helpless, is again attacked by the vampire.
Van Helsing, knowing that Lucy is near death, summons her fianc, Arthur Holmwood, to her side. Holmwood himself comes from the deathbed of his father. As Holmwood bends to kiss Lucy goodbye, Lucy, whose canine teeth have become strangely lengthened, attempts to attack Arthur. As Van Helsing throws Arthur back from her, Lucy dies.
After Lucy’s death, the papers report the strange appearance of a person whom the village children label as “the Bloofer Lady,” a creature who has been attacking young children in the area. Van Helsing, shaken by the reports, summons Dr. Seward to attend him in an examination of Lucy’s coffin. After Seward’s initial shock, he agrees, albeit with reservations, to open Lucy’s coffin.
In the meantime, Mina and Jonathan have been married, and they return to England. Mina has transcribed Jonathan’s diary of his journey in Transylvania, and soon afterward Van Helsing reads it. Van Helsing then calls all of Lucy’s ex-suitors together, and he explains to them his belief that Lucy has been bitten by a vampire and has become one herself. The only way to save her soul, he says, is to drive a wooden stake through her heart, cut off her head and stuff it with garlic. Eventually Van Helsing convinces them of the truth of his claims, and the “service” is performed on Lucy.
Now the protagonists begin a search for the Count and also for the fifty boxes of earth which he brought with him to England; these six people Jonathan, Mina, Dr. Seward, Van Helsing, Holmwood, and Quincey Morris vow to confront the vampire. Soon after the search begins, Van Helsing realizes that a dreadful change is taking place in Mina. One horrific night, Van Helsing and Seward break into Mina’s room, find Jonathan unconscious, and Mina being forced to suck blood from a deep slash across Dracula’s chest. In a twinkling, Dracula disappears.
They finally discover and destroy all of the fifty boxes except one, which they learn has been sent by ship back to Dracula’s castle. Using various methods, including the hypnosis of Mina, they follow Dracula all the way to the Borgo Pass in Transylvania, where they find the last remaining box being transported to Castle Dracula by a group of gypsies. They overcome the gypsies, throw the box to the ground, tear open its lid, and discover the body of the Count. With a huge thrust, Jonathan cuts off the vampire’s head, while Morris drives his knife into the Count’s heart. The Count himself crumbles into dust, and Quincey Morris, having been wounded by the gypsies in an attempt to retrieve the box, dies of a mortal wound, and so the novel ends.
Go here to read the rest:
Book Summary – Written by Teachers
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - I Never Drink Wine (2/8) | Movieclips - December 1st, 2018
- Whitby Dracula, Connections Between Dracula, Whitby & Bram ... - November 30th, 2018
- Dracula | The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Wiki ... - November 30th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Watch Bram Stoker's Dracula | Prime Video - November 1st, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram ... - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Milwaukee Ballet - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Shmoop - October 31st, 2018
- Netflix & BBC One Board Dracula Series From Sherlock ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula TV Series Ordered at Netflix From Steven Moffat ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula Series from the Sherlock Team to Launch on BBC ... - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray ... - September 27th, 2018
- Dracula (9/10) Movie CLIP - Dracula and Van Helsing (1931) HD ... - August 24th, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram Stoker ... - August 22nd, 2018
- Dracula Powers, Villains, History, & More | Marvel - August 22nd, 2018
- DraculaA Summary | Britannica.com - August 13th, 2018
- Dracula Part 3 | C-S-S-A.com Celebrity Sex Stories Archive - July 22nd, 2018
- Dracula (Signet Classics): Bram Stoker, Leonard Wolf ... - July 6th, 2018
- Dracula | Monster High Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - June 28th, 2018
- Dracula | Marvel's Avengers Assemble Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - June 24th, 2018
- Dracula | Count Dracula | Dracula - scribd.com - October 19th, 2017
- Dracula - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source ... - September 27th, 2017
- Dracula by Bram Stoker - September 26th, 2017
- Gene Causing Dracula-Like Appearance Points to Vampire Origins ... - Inverse - September 7th, 2017
- Wolfeboro dancers to participate in Northeastern Ballet Theatre's 'Dracula' Sept. 16 - Conway Daily Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to ... - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula in Vegas - DVD Talk - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula prequel in development with It director Andy Muschietti - Looper - September 6th, 2017
- Late Night Likens Trump to Dracula, Hitler; Invokes 'White Supremacy' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Dracula Prequel in Development at Paramount With 'It' Director Andy Muschietti - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Rakul Preet Singh visits the birthplace of Dracula - BizAsia - September 6th, 2017
- Resurrecting Dracula with a Shake and Stir - The Adelaide Review - September 5th, 2017
- Rakul Preet shoots at the birthplace of Dracula | Tamil Movie News ... - Times of India - September 5th, 2017
- The dark side of books - Isle of Man Today - September 3rd, 2017
- PFAA production of Dracula to begin - Waynesville Daily Guide - September 1st, 2017
- Water handicaps restoration work on 'Dracula' castle ... - Hurriyet Daily News - August 28th, 2017
- Breon Arzell to Star in The Hypocrites' DRACULA at Mercury Theater Chicago - Broadway World - August 26th, 2017
- Dracula Uses One Guitar and Two Voices to Haunt With Intensity - Miami New Times - August 24th, 2017
- Theatre Review: Sink your teeth into shake & stir's bloody brilliant adaption of Dracula (At Brisbane's QPAC to ... - the AU review (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Holland theater group performs musical version of Dracula - HollandSentinel.com - August 19th, 2017
- Strand Theatre to have Dracula in October - MDJOnline.com - August 19th, 2017
- Imagine Dracula in Charge of the Blood Bank - Daily Mirror - August 17th, 2017
- Report of Body Leads CA Firefighters to Dracula - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Rescuers discover body in Modesto creek is Dracula - SFGate - August 14th, 2017
- Gaslighters set 'Dracula, the Musical?' tryouts - TheReporter.Com - August 13th, 2017
- Firefighters responded to report of possible body in creek. They found Dracula. - Modesto Bee - August 11th, 2017
- A trip to Dracula's birthplace won't bleed you dry | Spectator Life - Spectator.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula - A Century of Film - Yorkton This Week - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula to appear at blood donor clinic in Peterborough on Sept. 9 - Peterborough Examiner - August 9th, 2017
- Peterborough Theatre Guild New Play Dracula Upcoming, Invites You To Visit Canadian Blood Services - PTBOCanada (press release) (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Artist Uses Dracula To Make A Point About The NYC Immigrant Experience - Newsy - August 5th, 2017
- Marvel Unearthing The Tomb of Dracula - Dread Central - August 3rd, 2017
- Dracula entertains, but seems focused on playing into own hype: review - Toronto Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Win a double pass to Dracula in Brisbane - Daily Review - July 31st, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania takes aim at religion - Polygon - July 30th, 2017
- The Dracula process - Maryville Daily Forum - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Google Doodle salutes Oscar winner who conquered both 'Dracula' and male-dominated advertising - Washington Post - July 12th, 2017
- Netflix's 'Castlevania' Is 'Beauty and the Beast' If Belle Died - Inverse - July 11th, 2017
- Religion is just as dangerous as Dracula in Netflix's promising Castlevania - A.V. Club - July 11th, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania isn't a perfect video game adaptation, but it's on the right track - The Verge - July 8th, 2017
- Coming to a Small Screen Near You (Maybe) - Variety - July 6th, 2017
- Land of wonders, home of Dracula - Coast Reporter - July 6th, 2017
- Throwback Thursday: Dracula Resurrection DVS Gaming - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- The Shaw Festival to Sink Its Teeth Into Liz Lochhead's Seductive Adaptation of DRACULA - Broadway World - July 6th, 2017
- In Retrospect: Dracula (1931) - The Egalitarian - July 6th, 2017
- Gothic classic Dracula descends on Mount Isa - The North West Star - July 5th, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania Cast Includes Preacher's Saint of Killers as Dracula! - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2017
- BBC 'Sherlock' Writers Drop The Detective Series For 'Dracula ... - moviepilot.com - June 29th, 2017
- Netflix Castlevania series reveals voice cast - Polygon - Polygon - June 29th, 2017
- A budget road trip through Dracula country - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2017
- Ever Wanted Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, or Dracula on Your ... - Dread Central - June 29th, 2017
- Syfy - Dracula Who? The Lessons Moffat should learn from his days ... - SYFY WIRE (blog) - June 27th, 2017
- Will Universal Bring Back Luke Evans's Dracula In The Dark ... - moviepilot.com - June 27th, 2017
- No, the new Dracula series from Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss is NOT "Dracula solves crimes" - DigitalSpy.com - June 26th, 2017
- Sherlock Team to Reunite for a Dracula TV Series - TownandCountrymag.com (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- Dracula TV Series On The Way From Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat ... - Box Office Buz (press release) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- Sherlock's Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat to write Dracula TV show - The Guardian - June 24th, 2017
- Rendezvous with Dracula promises laughs, screams - The West Australian - June 23rd, 2017
- Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss to give Dracula the Sherlock treatment - SYFY WIRE (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Sherlock team reuniting for new Dracula series - The Hindu - June 22nd, 2017
- Sherlock team reuniting for new Dracula series - The Hindu - The Hindu - June 22nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero