The duo Dracula’s name doesnt just reference a bloodthirsty Transylvanian vampire. It also represents the subtler Bram Stoker depiction of the lonely and lovesick Count. The only instruments they use are one nylon acoustic guitar and two distinctively gorgeous voices. Spanish and English songs are tightly woven into a tapestry of quiet intensity on their release, Songs of Love & Melancholy.Each flows into the next like Lucys blood onto pointy teeth. The duo harnesses the almost ghostly, haunting energy of the Carter Family and the melting harmonies of the Mamas & the Papas.
Dracula which New Times named Best Acoustic Music in 2012 reinterprets songs such as Peggy Seegers First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and The Nightingale from Twin Peaks. The duo evenpresentsa reimagined version of Don McLeans Babylon called Waters of Palestine, telling others heavy stories simply behind its own poignant and diaphanous vocal veil.
Theirs is a modern Miami music scene story. Draculas members, Eli Oviedo and Dorys Bello, met when they were 19 years old. He was working as a waiter at Bali Cafe downtown, and she was attending Miami Dade College across the street and dating one of the Indonesian restaurant’s dishwashers. Bello is a 32-year-old Hialeah native of Cuban descent. Oviedo, who turns 32 this month, was born in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. He heard Bello sing and wanted to make music with her. Three years of friendship later, they were harmonizing beautifully.
Oviedo lived at a crust punk house called the Sin Bin, which was located behind another, more popular crust punk house, the Firefly. Bello earned a degree in art from Florida International University and found herself working at a funeral home for $8 an hour. Once out of the punk house, Oviedo worked as a medical language interpreter and began studying Japanese language and culture with the goal of concentrating on sociolinguistics in grad school. Bello jokes of preparing for one of her current jobs, teaching ESL students in China on the internet: I put on a nice shirt and leave my pajama bottoms on. Today they both work at the midtown wine bar Lagniappe.
Oviedo says their sound just evolved organically. It came out of us playing in a room together. It was almost conversational. They werent thinking about performing live.Dracula was really something we did for fun.He calls what they do very vocal and oriented around us and playing with harmony and coming up with interesting harmonies.
Over the years, other members have come and gone. Past bandmates were more into making tapes and adding gear to the music, but the original duo wasnt into it. The group used to include a 100-year-old harp, a flute, and a clarinet in its songs. A former member, Kian Seara, made and played a hurdy-gurdy and added a saw with a bow for a time. But Bello and Oviedo have always returned to their simple setup. The guitar is more of a background thing,Bello says.
They play only occasionally, when someone invites them. But their first gig was noteworthy, and it paid, at the De la Cruz Collection. Next, they partnered with the roving art-space project the End/Spring Break to play in Miami City Cemetery and Pinewood Cemetery.
Oviedo calls this somber though odd spot fitting for Dracula, and not just because of the group’s moniker. It’s a public place where people can gather, and its also a place of reflection. A lot of the themes in the music are really reflective, looking into the past, ghosts, the relationship between life and death, and memories, he says.
We dont plug anything in, so were quiet enough for a cemetery, so it fits, Bello says. We need our shows to be really quiet. So its easier to tell people to be quiet there, compared to Churchills, where they’re yelling from the bar and everyone is screaming for [people] to be quiet.
Oviedo calls it a controlled contemplative environment.
Ceremonial environments help carry the observer to their own union with their emotions,” Bello says, “and we feel like in our performances, this is possible in a moment of quiet reflection among a scene of mostly electronic performers.
Dracula first recorded music on a reel-to-reel recorder but also worked digitally with artist Jay Hines. The duo’s album that came out this past January features two guitars instead of one. They recorded it with James McKillop of the band Treasure Teeth, who produced, mastered, and recorded it with Barbara Elting.
Their goal is to perform in Japan, though they just played outside of Florida in July for the first time. Dracula was invited by Molly Surazhsky to perform at CalArtss LatLab, which specializes in showing Hispanic artists. In California, the duo played with fellow Miami musician Juan Campuzano at a house in the middle of the desert near Joshua Tree National Park. In a field of cacti, as the sun was setting, their soft, intense voicesspread songs like magic across the dark sky and into the stars.
Liz Tracy has her masters degree in religion from Florida State University. She has written for publications such as Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, and Ocean Drive. Liz spent three years as New Times Broward-Palm Beachs music editor and is currently the managing editor at Tom Tom Magazine.
- Dracula - Porn Video 783 | Tube8 - February 19th, 2019
- Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie Review - Common Sense Media - February 19th, 2019
- Draculas Castle Is for Sale | Smart News | Smithsonian - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | I Wanna Be The Guy Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Free Lesson Plans | Teachers - February 19th, 2019
- dracula - Literotica.com - February 19th, 2019
- Character List - CliffsNotes - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (Hotel Transylvania) | Heroes Wiki | FANDOM ... - February 19th, 2019
- dracula Flashcards and Study Sets | Quizlet - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula - Bram Stoker - Hardcover - HarperCollins US - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula - Whitby - February 19th, 2019
- Jew or Not Jew: Dracula - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (1931) - Filmsite.org - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | BalletMet - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Penny Dreadful Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | October 11-28, 2018 - Fletcher Opera Theater ... - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula: The Crowns John Heffernan & Doll & Ems ... - February 14th, 2019
- Dracula - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki - February 10th, 2019
- Dracula ants set record for fastest animal movement: Study - December 13th, 2018
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - I Never Drink Wine (2/8) | Movieclips - December 1st, 2018
- Whitby Dracula, Connections Between Dracula, Whitby & Bram ... - November 30th, 2018
- Dracula | The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Wiki ... - November 30th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Watch Bram Stoker's Dracula | Prime Video - November 1st, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram ... - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Milwaukee Ballet - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Shmoop - October 31st, 2018
- Netflix & BBC One Board Dracula Series From Sherlock ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula TV Series Ordered at Netflix From Steven Moffat ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula Series from the Sherlock Team to Launch on BBC ... - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray ... - September 27th, 2018
- Dracula (9/10) Movie CLIP - Dracula and Van Helsing (1931) HD ... - August 24th, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram Stoker ... - August 22nd, 2018
- Dracula Powers, Villains, History, & More | Marvel - August 22nd, 2018
- DraculaA Summary | Britannica.com - August 13th, 2018
- Dracula Part 3 | C-S-S-A.com Celebrity Sex Stories Archive - July 22nd, 2018
- Dracula (Signet Classics): Bram Stoker, Leonard Wolf ... - July 6th, 2018
- Dracula | Monster High Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - June 28th, 2018
- Book Summary - Written by Teachers - June 28th, 2018
- Dracula | Marvel's Avengers Assemble Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - June 24th, 2018
- Dracula | Count Dracula | Dracula - scribd.com - October 19th, 2017
- Dracula - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source ... - September 27th, 2017
- Dracula by Bram Stoker - September 26th, 2017
- Gene Causing Dracula-Like Appearance Points to Vampire Origins ... - Inverse - September 7th, 2017
- Wolfeboro dancers to participate in Northeastern Ballet Theatre's 'Dracula' Sept. 16 - Conway Daily Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to ... - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula in Vegas - DVD Talk - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula prequel in development with It director Andy Muschietti - Looper - September 6th, 2017
- Late Night Likens Trump to Dracula, Hitler; Invokes 'White Supremacy' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Dracula Prequel in Development at Paramount With 'It' Director Andy Muschietti - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Rakul Preet Singh visits the birthplace of Dracula - BizAsia - September 6th, 2017
- Resurrecting Dracula with a Shake and Stir - The Adelaide Review - September 5th, 2017
- Rakul Preet shoots at the birthplace of Dracula | Tamil Movie News ... - Times of India - September 5th, 2017
- The dark side of books - Isle of Man Today - September 3rd, 2017
- PFAA production of Dracula to begin - Waynesville Daily Guide - September 1st, 2017
- Water handicaps restoration work on 'Dracula' castle ... - Hurriyet Daily News - August 28th, 2017
- Breon Arzell to Star in The Hypocrites' DRACULA at Mercury Theater Chicago - Broadway World - August 26th, 2017
- Theatre Review: Sink your teeth into shake & stir's bloody brilliant adaption of Dracula (At Brisbane's QPAC to ... - the AU review (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Holland theater group performs musical version of Dracula - HollandSentinel.com - August 19th, 2017
- Strand Theatre to have Dracula in October - MDJOnline.com - August 19th, 2017
- Imagine Dracula in Charge of the Blood Bank - Daily Mirror - August 17th, 2017
- Report of Body Leads CA Firefighters to Dracula - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Rescuers discover body in Modesto creek is Dracula - SFGate - August 14th, 2017
- Gaslighters set 'Dracula, the Musical?' tryouts - TheReporter.Com - August 13th, 2017
- Firefighters responded to report of possible body in creek. They found Dracula. - Modesto Bee - August 11th, 2017
- A trip to Dracula's birthplace won't bleed you dry | Spectator Life - Spectator.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula - A Century of Film - Yorkton This Week - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula to appear at blood donor clinic in Peterborough on Sept. 9 - Peterborough Examiner - August 9th, 2017
- Peterborough Theatre Guild New Play Dracula Upcoming, Invites You To Visit Canadian Blood Services - PTBOCanada (press release) (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Artist Uses Dracula To Make A Point About The NYC Immigrant Experience - Newsy - August 5th, 2017
- Marvel Unearthing The Tomb of Dracula - Dread Central - August 3rd, 2017
- Dracula entertains, but seems focused on playing into own hype: review - Toronto Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Win a double pass to Dracula in Brisbane - Daily Review - July 31st, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania takes aim at religion - Polygon - July 30th, 2017
- The Dracula process - Maryville Daily Forum - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Google Doodle salutes Oscar winner who conquered both 'Dracula' and male-dominated advertising - Washington Post - July 12th, 2017
- Netflix's 'Castlevania' Is 'Beauty and the Beast' If Belle Died - Inverse - July 11th, 2017
- Religion is just as dangerous as Dracula in Netflix's promising Castlevania - A.V. Club - July 11th, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania isn't a perfect video game adaptation, but it's on the right track - The Verge - July 8th, 2017
- Coming to a Small Screen Near You (Maybe) - Variety - July 6th, 2017
- Land of wonders, home of Dracula - Coast Reporter - July 6th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero