EIKO ISHIOKAs creative genius as a pioneering designer forever found form by cracking through boundaries, as if her ideas were less born than passionately hatched.
The Tokyo-born artist could dwell gloriously on simply piercing a shell, whether she was conceiving a striking commercial featuring Faye Dunaway wordlessly eating a hard-boiled egg against a black background, or creating such Oscar-winning costumes for Bram Stokers Dracula as Gary Oldmans vampire, clad and battling in the armadillo-like skin of crimson corrugation.
It was as if sublime inspiration itself could only by achieved through the creative tension of pushing against expectation. And her sense of daring presentation could be realized whether she was wrapping her actors in a saturated-color exoskeleton, such as in Julie Taymors Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark on Broadway, or baring the flesh of milky fertility in the video for Bjorks tune Cocoon.
Today, Google celebrates Ishiokas visionary sense of sensual, oft surreal art and costume with a beautiful home-page Doodle slide show on what would have been her 79th birthday.
Ishiokas father, himself a graphic designer, warned her about trying to make it in Japans male-dominated world of midcentury advertising, yet part of her greatness was to buck tightly swaddled convention, sometimes even using artful nudity to sell products to a kimono culture.
Sprung from the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music in the early 60s, she entered advertising through the cosmetics titan Shiseido before launching out on her own a decade later, deploying an international flair on behalf of such clients as Parco, the shopping complex chain, for which she sometimes advertised by showing no product (or clothing) at all. She was fearless in baring her avant-garde concepts.
Yet she was equally expert at dreaming up clothing design, whether for the Canadian, Japanese, Spanish and Swiss teams at the 2002 Winter Olympics, or the logo for the Houston Rockets.
And it was her eclectic sense of costume design that elevated her to fresh levels of prominence the globe over, whether she was weaving her magic for Cirque du Soleil or filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola.
Coppola had seen her production design work for the 1985 Paul Schrader biographical film Mishima, which yielded her a share of a Cannes festival jury award, and had been impressed by her Japanese poster for his classic Apocalypse Now.
By the time they collaborated on 1992s Dracula, she had received Tony nominations for her set and costume design for 1988s M. Butterfly by David Henry Hwang, and a Grammy Award for her album design on Miles Daviss Tutu in 1986.
For Dracula, Coppolas vision was to have the costumes be the jewel of the set. In Ishioka, he valued a freethinking Hollywood outsider who could look at Gustav Klimts The Kiss and be inspired to create a symbolist costume.
When I see Klimts painting, I could feel the very Oriental flavor with Western painting, Ishioka recounted. I wanted to express hybrid culture, which is East meets West.
Ishioka also appreciated that costuming could cause discomfort befitting context, reflective of both social strictures and state of mind whether she was outfitting Winona Ryder in Victorian garb for Dracula, or encasing Jennifer Lopez in confining headwear for Tarsem Singhs The Cell in 2000.
Ishioka would collaborate with Singh several times, including on the 2006 film The Fall, which directly inspires todays Doodle.
Eiko Ishioka, who was born July 12, 1938, died of pancreatic cancer in 2012, shortly after marrying The Fall and The Cell screenwriter Nico Soultanakis. Her design influence hatches eternal.
When I said the costumes would be the set, Coppola said with understatement, in hailing Ishiokas brilliance, I think that was fulfilled.
- Dracula - Porn Video 783 | Tube8 - February 19th, 2019
- Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie Review - Common Sense Media - February 19th, 2019
- Draculas Castle Is for Sale | Smart News | Smithsonian - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | I Wanna Be The Guy Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Free Lesson Plans | Teachers - February 19th, 2019
- dracula - Literotica.com - February 19th, 2019
- Character List - CliffsNotes - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (Hotel Transylvania) | Heroes Wiki | FANDOM ... - February 19th, 2019
- dracula Flashcards and Study Sets | Quizlet - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula - Bram Stoker - Hardcover - HarperCollins US - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula - Whitby - February 19th, 2019
- Jew or Not Jew: Dracula - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (1931) - Filmsite.org - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | BalletMet - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Penny Dreadful Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | October 11-28, 2018 - Fletcher Opera Theater ... - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula: The Crowns John Heffernan & Doll & Ems ... - February 14th, 2019
- Dracula - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki - February 10th, 2019
- Dracula ants set record for fastest animal movement: Study - December 13th, 2018
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - I Never Drink Wine (2/8) | Movieclips - December 1st, 2018
- Whitby Dracula, Connections Between Dracula, Whitby & Bram ... - November 30th, 2018
- Dracula | The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Wiki ... - November 30th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Watch Bram Stoker's Dracula | Prime Video - November 1st, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram ... - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Milwaukee Ballet - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Shmoop - October 31st, 2018
- Netflix & BBC One Board Dracula Series From Sherlock ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula TV Series Ordered at Netflix From Steven Moffat ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula Series from the Sherlock Team to Launch on BBC ... - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray ... - September 27th, 2018
- Dracula (9/10) Movie CLIP - Dracula and Van Helsing (1931) HD ... - August 24th, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram Stoker ... - August 22nd, 2018
- Dracula Powers, Villains, History, & More | Marvel - August 22nd, 2018
- DraculaA Summary | Britannica.com - August 13th, 2018
- Dracula Part 3 | C-S-S-A.com Celebrity Sex Stories Archive - July 22nd, 2018
- Dracula (Signet Classics): Bram Stoker, Leonard Wolf ... - July 6th, 2018
- Dracula | Monster High Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - June 28th, 2018
- Book Summary - Written by Teachers - June 28th, 2018
- Dracula | Marvel's Avengers Assemble Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - June 24th, 2018
- Dracula | Count Dracula | Dracula - scribd.com - October 19th, 2017
- Dracula - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source ... - September 27th, 2017
- Dracula by Bram Stoker - September 26th, 2017
- Gene Causing Dracula-Like Appearance Points to Vampire Origins ... - Inverse - September 7th, 2017
- Wolfeboro dancers to participate in Northeastern Ballet Theatre's 'Dracula' Sept. 16 - Conway Daily Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to ... - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula in Vegas - DVD Talk - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula prequel in development with It director Andy Muschietti - Looper - September 6th, 2017
- Late Night Likens Trump to Dracula, Hitler; Invokes 'White Supremacy' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Dracula Prequel in Development at Paramount With 'It' Director Andy Muschietti - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Rakul Preet Singh visits the birthplace of Dracula - BizAsia - September 6th, 2017
- Resurrecting Dracula with a Shake and Stir - The Adelaide Review - September 5th, 2017
- Rakul Preet shoots at the birthplace of Dracula | Tamil Movie News ... - Times of India - September 5th, 2017
- The dark side of books - Isle of Man Today - September 3rd, 2017
- PFAA production of Dracula to begin - Waynesville Daily Guide - September 1st, 2017
- Water handicaps restoration work on 'Dracula' castle ... - Hurriyet Daily News - August 28th, 2017
- Breon Arzell to Star in The Hypocrites' DRACULA at Mercury Theater Chicago - Broadway World - August 26th, 2017
- Dracula Uses One Guitar and Two Voices to Haunt With Intensity - Miami New Times - August 24th, 2017
- Theatre Review: Sink your teeth into shake & stir's bloody brilliant adaption of Dracula (At Brisbane's QPAC to ... - the AU review (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Holland theater group performs musical version of Dracula - HollandSentinel.com - August 19th, 2017
- Strand Theatre to have Dracula in October - MDJOnline.com - August 19th, 2017
- Imagine Dracula in Charge of the Blood Bank - Daily Mirror - August 17th, 2017
- Report of Body Leads CA Firefighters to Dracula - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Rescuers discover body in Modesto creek is Dracula - SFGate - August 14th, 2017
- Gaslighters set 'Dracula, the Musical?' tryouts - TheReporter.Com - August 13th, 2017
- Firefighters responded to report of possible body in creek. They found Dracula. - Modesto Bee - August 11th, 2017
- A trip to Dracula's birthplace won't bleed you dry | Spectator Life - Spectator.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula - A Century of Film - Yorkton This Week - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula to appear at blood donor clinic in Peterborough on Sept. 9 - Peterborough Examiner - August 9th, 2017
- Peterborough Theatre Guild New Play Dracula Upcoming, Invites You To Visit Canadian Blood Services - PTBOCanada (press release) (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Artist Uses Dracula To Make A Point About The NYC Immigrant Experience - Newsy - August 5th, 2017
- Marvel Unearthing The Tomb of Dracula - Dread Central - August 3rd, 2017
- Dracula entertains, but seems focused on playing into own hype: review - Toronto Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Win a double pass to Dracula in Brisbane - Daily Review - July 31st, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania takes aim at religion - Polygon - July 30th, 2017
- The Dracula process - Maryville Daily Forum - July 30th, 2017
- Netflix's 'Castlevania' Is 'Beauty and the Beast' If Belle Died - Inverse - July 11th, 2017
- Religion is just as dangerous as Dracula in Netflix's promising Castlevania - A.V. Club - July 11th, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania isn't a perfect video game adaptation, but it's on the right track - The Verge - July 8th, 2017
- Coming to a Small Screen Near You (Maybe) - Variety - July 6th, 2017
- Land of wonders, home of Dracula - Coast Reporter - July 6th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero