Helming shake & stir theatre cos production of Dracula as a co-writer and lead actor, Nick Skubij has a unique insight into how to bring this classic text back to life.
While contemporary vampire stories have ridden a recent wave of popularity, the tale that started a fictional phenomenon, Bram Stokers Dracula, has become less prominent. But the intrepid Brisbane-based shake & stir theatre co has brought the Count back from the brink with their direct adaptation of the 19th century novel.
Nick Skubij, who co-wrote the adaptation and stars as Dracula, says the play takes the original vampire story back to its dark and devilish roots. Working with Nelle Lee on the adaptation, Skubij steered clear of contemporary schlocky versions of the story to keep things strictly focussed on the essential horror of the book.
I think with a lot of the films theres a bit of a schlocky perspective taken and over time the Dracula story has been treated quite humourously or comically, he says. Theres a certain class of vaudevillian schlock to it We asked ourselves what made this story so shocking or revolutionary or interesting and exciting for readers when they were first presented with it.
Shocking a contemporary audience isnt a simple task, though. With a barrage of fictional and real horrors flying through our screens daily, Skubij and Lee had to consider how to respect the original story and keep things fresh for audiences. Luckily the text comes laden with all sorts of theatrical elements and tricks to be exploited.
We liked the idea that the story was so theatrical that it lends itself to a retelling onstage the environment and the world of the novel is such a tangible thing when you read the story, says Skubij. We loved the sumptuousness of the era and the challenge it lent to doing the tricks in the book, like a moment when Draculas scaling down a wall and theres lots of flames and old-school effects that come from the novel that we have literally translated to the stage.
While this stage adaptation story is deeply rooted in Stokers novel, Lee and Skubij knew that they would have to contend with modern representations of vampires, thanks to those recent stories on film and television.
Weve got a really good mix of audience in this show, Skubij says. Theres people who love the novel, but also people who love vampires because of things like True Blood and the more contemporary vampire tales. Youve got to appease those audiences, I think those who have this new version of what a vampire should be and those that are coming to it for the original.
So where does that generation-bridging love for the vampire myth come from? Skubij believes the appeal comes from the essential nature of the beast. These free, immortal, reckless beings embody our own deep animalistic desires, and their sensuality is something inherent to the human condition.
I think theres an allure to the myth of the danger inherent in the vampire genre, he explains. Theres a certain human nature that has us desire things that are bad for us, or have us crave things that we shouldnt or be interested in Theres the immortality too. People like the idea of being all-powerful and immortal Count Dracula starts as this very old individual, but then youve got, say in Twilight, very young, youthful, energetic characters. Theres some sex appeal thats crept into it at some point too, which comes from that metaphor of taking in the blood and essence of a human beings soul and the fluids of your body. Theres a sexuality to that.
One sticking point between vampiric audiences old and new, though, is the rules of the game. With each iteration of bloodsucking stories, those vampires possess different vulnerabilities. We know that bundles of garlic, a crucifix, mirrors, daylight or a stake to the heart might take a vampire down, but settling those rules takes consideration.
We actually had a couple of actors who were big fans of the more contemporary versions of vampires, so there was a lot of debating about exactly those rules, he says. Youve got to be accurate and know what it is youre talking about, I guess.
It was really interesting to discover myself that once you open up that can of worms and start discussing it just how complicated and intricate it is. For certain audiences and people who are fans of the genre, you can see why. Theres such a world in there with all these rules that a lot of people know surprisingly detailed information about.
DraculaSpace TheatreSeptember 7 until September 16adelaidefestivalcentre.com.au
Photography: Dylan Evans
The rest is here:
Resurrecting Dracula with a Shake and Stir – The Adelaide Review
- Dracula - Porn Video 783 | Tube8 - February 19th, 2019
- Bram Stoker's Dracula Movie Review - Common Sense Media - February 19th, 2019
- Draculas Castle Is for Sale | Smart News | Smithsonian - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | I Wanna Be The Guy Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Free Lesson Plans | Teachers - February 19th, 2019
- dracula - Literotica.com - February 19th, 2019
- Character List - CliffsNotes - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (Hotel Transylvania) | Heroes Wiki | FANDOM ... - February 19th, 2019
- dracula Flashcards and Study Sets | Quizlet - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula - Bram Stoker - Hardcover - HarperCollins US - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula - Whitby - February 19th, 2019
- Jew or Not Jew: Dracula - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula (1931) - Filmsite.org - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | BalletMet - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | Penny Dreadful Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula | October 11-28, 2018 - Fletcher Opera Theater ... - February 19th, 2019
- Dracula: The Crowns John Heffernan & Doll & Ems ... - February 14th, 2019
- Dracula - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki - February 10th, 2019
- Dracula ants set record for fastest animal movement: Study - December 13th, 2018
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - I Never Drink Wine (2/8) | Movieclips - December 1st, 2018
- Whitby Dracula, Connections Between Dracula, Whitby & Bram ... - November 30th, 2018
- Dracula | The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Wiki ... - November 30th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Watch Bram Stoker's Dracula | Prime Video - November 1st, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram ... - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Milwaukee Ballet - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Shmoop - October 31st, 2018
- Netflix & BBC One Board Dracula Series From Sherlock ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula TV Series Ordered at Netflix From Steven Moffat ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula Series from the Sherlock Team to Launch on BBC ... - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray ... - September 27th, 2018
- Dracula (9/10) Movie CLIP - Dracula and Van Helsing (1931) HD ... - August 24th, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram Stoker ... - August 22nd, 2018
- Dracula Powers, Villains, History, & More | Marvel - August 22nd, 2018
- DraculaA Summary | Britannica.com - August 13th, 2018
- Dracula Part 3 | C-S-S-A.com Celebrity Sex Stories Archive - July 22nd, 2018
- Dracula (Signet Classics): Bram Stoker, Leonard Wolf ... - July 6th, 2018
- Dracula | Monster High Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - June 28th, 2018
- Book Summary - Written by Teachers - June 28th, 2018
- Dracula | Marvel's Avengers Assemble Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - June 24th, 2018
- Dracula | Count Dracula | Dracula - scribd.com - October 19th, 2017
- Dracula - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source ... - September 27th, 2017
- Dracula by Bram Stoker - September 26th, 2017
- Gene Causing Dracula-Like Appearance Points to Vampire Origins ... - Inverse - September 7th, 2017
- Wolfeboro dancers to participate in Northeastern Ballet Theatre's 'Dracula' Sept. 16 - Conway Daily Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to ... - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula in Vegas - DVD Talk - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula prequel in development with It director Andy Muschietti - Looper - September 6th, 2017
- Late Night Likens Trump to Dracula, Hitler; Invokes 'White Supremacy' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Dracula Prequel in Development at Paramount With 'It' Director Andy Muschietti - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Rakul Preet Singh visits the birthplace of Dracula - BizAsia - September 6th, 2017
- Rakul Preet shoots at the birthplace of Dracula | Tamil Movie News ... - Times of India - September 5th, 2017
- The dark side of books - Isle of Man Today - September 3rd, 2017
- PFAA production of Dracula to begin - Waynesville Daily Guide - September 1st, 2017
- Water handicaps restoration work on 'Dracula' castle ... - Hurriyet Daily News - August 28th, 2017
- Breon Arzell to Star in The Hypocrites' DRACULA at Mercury Theater Chicago - Broadway World - August 26th, 2017
- Dracula Uses One Guitar and Two Voices to Haunt With Intensity - Miami New Times - August 24th, 2017
- Theatre Review: Sink your teeth into shake & stir's bloody brilliant adaption of Dracula (At Brisbane's QPAC to ... - the AU review (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Holland theater group performs musical version of Dracula - HollandSentinel.com - August 19th, 2017
- Strand Theatre to have Dracula in October - MDJOnline.com - August 19th, 2017
- Imagine Dracula in Charge of the Blood Bank - Daily Mirror - August 17th, 2017
- Report of Body Leads CA Firefighters to Dracula - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Rescuers discover body in Modesto creek is Dracula - SFGate - August 14th, 2017
- Gaslighters set 'Dracula, the Musical?' tryouts - TheReporter.Com - August 13th, 2017
- Firefighters responded to report of possible body in creek. They found Dracula. - Modesto Bee - August 11th, 2017
- A trip to Dracula's birthplace won't bleed you dry | Spectator Life - Spectator.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula - A Century of Film - Yorkton This Week - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula to appear at blood donor clinic in Peterborough on Sept. 9 - Peterborough Examiner - August 9th, 2017
- Peterborough Theatre Guild New Play Dracula Upcoming, Invites You To Visit Canadian Blood Services - PTBOCanada (press release) (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Artist Uses Dracula To Make A Point About The NYC Immigrant Experience - Newsy - August 5th, 2017
- Marvel Unearthing The Tomb of Dracula - Dread Central - August 3rd, 2017
- Dracula entertains, but seems focused on playing into own hype: review - Toronto Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Win a double pass to Dracula in Brisbane - Daily Review - July 31st, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania takes aim at religion - Polygon - July 30th, 2017
- The Dracula process - Maryville Daily Forum - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Google Doodle salutes Oscar winner who conquered both 'Dracula' and male-dominated advertising - Washington Post - July 12th, 2017
- Netflix's 'Castlevania' Is 'Beauty and the Beast' If Belle Died - Inverse - July 11th, 2017
- Religion is just as dangerous as Dracula in Netflix's promising Castlevania - A.V. Club - July 11th, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania isn't a perfect video game adaptation, but it's on the right track - The Verge - July 8th, 2017
- Coming to a Small Screen Near You (Maybe) - Variety - July 6th, 2017
- Land of wonders, home of Dracula - Coast Reporter - July 6th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero