We had cars flying over our head, we had 40ft containers flying left and right, said Knacyntar Nedd, chairwoman of the Barbuda council. People were literally tying themselves to roofs with ropes to hold them down.
As Hurricane Irma blasted across the Caribbean in an arc of horror and destruction on Thursday, killing at least 10 and wreaking near-total devastation on islands at the eye of the storm, Barbudans recalled a night of misery that exceeded even their worst fears.
The trail of damage in areas first hit by the storms 185mph winds served as grim warning for those further west as they braced for its arrival hours or days later, with its intensity barely dimmed.
Among the worst hit were a string of small islands where the storm first made landfall, including the Franco-Dutch island of Saint Martin and nearby Barbuda. Barely a single Barbudan building escaped undamaged, around a quarter of properties were utterly obliterated, and half the population was left homeless by the storm.
Helicopter images showed stretches of flooded rubble that had been streets and homes crushed into piles of rubble or walls left without a roof.
On the beach-front in the Dutch side of Saint Martin, boats were crushed up against each other like damaged toys, rows of parked cars were submerged in flood water up to their roofs and the airport battered beyond use.
What we experienced is like something you see in a horror movie, not something you expect to actually happen in reality, Nedd told the local ABS television.
Among the most traumatised survivors were those who tried to ride Irma out at home. When the first part came, it was like the whole house was ripping apart, said Jacqueline Bisa, who was in her home with seven relatives.
They took shelter in a closet and the bathroom but the winds were so fierce they had to hang on to the door to keep it closed until they could be evacuated. It was like it was sucking us up, she said the next morning.
Several older residents with long experience of the fierce winds churned up by the Atlantic in hurricane season described Irma as unprecedented.
Last night was the most devastating experience I have had in my life and I am almost 60, said a man who gave his name as King Goldilocks. Who hasnt lost their roof, their house crumbled, like me? I am totally homeless.
Barbudans initially struggled to reach the government on nearby Antigua, which was spared the very worst of the storm, said Gaston Browne, prime minister of Antigua and Barbuda.
Im of the view that as it stands now Barbuda is barely habitable, Browne told ABS TV. The island is literally under water and that in itself is a serious threat. We never anticipated this level of damage.
The storm brought down telecoms towers and destroyed a back-up radio system so islanders could not report back on the extent of the damage. Rescue efforts on many islands are likely to be hampered by damage to airports as planes cannot currently land safely.
The winds were so powerful that even some of the islands storm shelters were overwhelmed, said Barbudas fire station chief who gave his name as Sergeant George.
The community centre, which was one of the designated shelters, did not stand up to the task, and the churches we used did not stand up to the task, he said. So we had to use St Thomas hospital but that stood up well.
In other areas in the storms path, residents were rushing to storm-proof buildings or strengthen shelters while praying that Irma would change course and spare them a direct hit, as it did Puerto Rico.
I have to start by thanking God, because although this was a strong event, it could have had a larger impact, and it is certain that the [prayers] of the Puerto Ricans and the people supporting them were heard, the governor, Ricardo Rossello, said at a news conference after the worst of the storm had passed.
The damage to the island was still considerable, with three reported dead, up to a million without power, extensive damage from fallen trees, lamp-posts and other debris and ongoing risk of flash floods. Schools will remain closed on Friday.
On its current course, Hurricane Irma is predicted to pass by the northern shores of Haiti and the Dominican Republic on Thursday, directly over, or quite close to, the British territories of the Turk and Caicos Islands on Thursday night, followed by a brush with the southern islands of the Bahamas and Cubas northern coast.
On Friday night, the hurricane is expected to land at or pass near the archipelago of the Florida Keys, where the governor, Rick Scott, has ordered an evacuation.
Its unclear exactly where the storm will strike along the coast. Scott warned that it could veer unexpectedly, and that its gigantic size meant that both Floridas Gulf and Atlantic coasts are threatened by severe storm surges and category-four hurricane winds.
Cubas central and eastern provinces were put on alert, warning of everything from risk of burglaries during the storm to epidemics in its wake. In some areas schools were closed for Friday and state ration stores dolled out extra rice, oil and sugar.
If you go to the shops, theres hardly anything there well thats normal in Cuba, but theres even less now, laughed taxi driver Riccardo Hernndez, 54.
Trees close to houses, electricity cables and phone lines were being felled and factories shut down. There were no mass evacuations planned on the mainland but tourists and workers were expected to be ferried off island resorts to safety.
In Havana, which is forecast to miss the worst of the hurricane, everyday life carried on mostly as normal but workers were clearing piles of broken concrete and rubbish that could be turned into dangerous projectiles, and unblocking drains.
Ive bought bread and a lot of candles in case the gas goes out, and my wifes been boiling water all day to store in our water tank, says Victor Jimenez, 61, in one of the capitals fews malls where other shoppers were stocking up on tinned food.
Those who have already survived Irma now face worries about finding food and shelter amid the ruins of their homes and could also face fresh devastation.
For the first time in seven years there are three active hurricanes in the Atlantic and one named Jose is tracing a tentative path that could take it though the areas worst hit by Irma.
Barbuda residents say they are not prepared to withstand even a much weaker storm.
My main concern is how we are going to survive after this given that every house, every utility is completely damaged and gone, said Cariana Baltimore, who fled to a shelter with six family members after Irma tore the roof off their home.
Like many on the island she was terrified about the prospect of having to ride out Jose in the islands shattered ruins, and begged for evacuation.
All of my family members we dont even have a home no more, and the prospect of another hurricane heading in our direction is terrifying, I think we should evacuate.
Also badly hit were the British Virgin Islands, a string of small islands whose residents begged for aid on Facebook.
We have nothing here, we need help, only our lives were saved, said Germaine Smith in a video he said was taken on Tortola. Everything smashed up, every building smashed up, nothing saved.
The storm also badly damaged the home of entrepreneur Richard Branson, on the private island of Necker, although everyone present when Irma hit took shelter in a wine cellar and no one was hurt.
Glad to say that all humans on Necker are OK although a lot of buildings destroyed, Bransons son Sam said in an Instagram post.
Ted Francis in Havana contributed to this report
- Top 15 Horror Movies to See in 2019! | Arrow in the Head - January 10th, 2019
- The 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018 - vulture.com - December 26th, 2018
- Best horror movies: scary films to stream or buy in 2018 ... - August 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com Horror Movies & Films on DVD and Blu-Ray - July 26th, 2018
- Box Office: 'It' Is Now The Highest-Grossing R-Rated ... - July 22nd, 2018
- | Reviewing the Hell Out of Horror Movies. - July 16th, 2018
- Arachnophobia (film) - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2018
- The Last Horror Movie - Wikipedia - June 19th, 2018
- Horror Domain | Horror Movie News, Trailers, Reviews ... - June 18th, 2018
- 100 Best Horror Movies of All Time - September 20th, 2017
- Sorensen: Horror movies don't deserve bad reputation - The Daily Iowan - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' is a waking nightmare, curated from a catalogue of horror-movie tropes - Washington Post - September 7th, 2017
- Rough flight 'like a horror movie': Etihad Airways passenger - The West Australian - September 7th, 2017
- /Answers: Our Favorite Horror Movie Villains - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Review: 'It' doesn't clown around with horror-movie clichs - Seattle Times - September 6th, 2017
- Horror Movie Magic: The CGI that has made films even scarier - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Letter: Don't star in a (traffic) horror movie - Mountain Xpress - September 6th, 2017
- Thelma Trailer: Norway's Oscar Submission is a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Stephen King's 'It' Arrives at a Terrifying Time for the Movie Business - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' Early Buzz: A Delirious, Divisive Horror Movie Designed to Attack Its Audience - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Can 'It' Reverse the Trend of Terrible September Horror Films? - Film School Rejects - September 6th, 2017
- Annabelle 2 Beats Get Out as 2017's Biggest Horror Movie - MovieWeb - September 5th, 2017
- Police warning over 'killer clown' craze set to return after horror movie IT released - Coventry Telegraph - September 5th, 2017
- Beautiful Diana, trapped in a horror movie: Mallick - Toronto Star - September 5th, 2017
- Sequels and Lies: What Hollywood's Disastrous Summer Really Means for the Future of Movies - The Ringer (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Killer clown' craze set to return as remake of horror movie IT is released in UK - Metro - September 3rd, 2017
- It movie early reviews: This clown horror film is frighteningly good - The Indian Express - September 3rd, 2017
- 'The bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie' - Mum speaks about terrifying condition that almost killed her ... - Independent.ie - September 3rd, 2017
- Horror News Network's Fall 2017 Horror Movie Preview - Horror News Network - September 3rd, 2017
- 'Friend Request' Trailer: Witches and Social Media Team Up for a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 3rd, 2017
- 'The bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie' - Mum speaks about terrifying incident that almost killed her ... - Independent.ie - September 2nd, 2017
- Netflix's Little Evil puts a new comic spin on the evil-kid trope - The Verge - September 2nd, 2017
- Horror on Netflix: September 2017 Additions - 1428 Elm - September 2nd, 2017
- Horror Movies and Video Games Get the Goosebumps Cover Treatment - Dread Central - September 2nd, 2017
- How They Did It: Shooting a Flashlit Prison Horror Movie, Against the Night, on the Sony a7S - MovieMaker Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Why Are Horror Movie Characters So Dumb? | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - September 1st, 2017
- Couple produces horror film for festival - Newnan Times-Herald - September 1st, 2017
- Reading Stephen King's It is an exhausting way to spend a summer - The Verge - September 1st, 2017
- Run-of-the-mill horror film 'Temple' delivers the same old evil spirits - Los Angeles Times - August 31st, 2017
- 'It' horror movie can't scare real-life clowns - Fox News - August 31st, 2017
- Brooklyn Horror Film Festival screening Kane Hodder documentary, Steven Yeun-starring Mayhem - EW.com - August 31st, 2017
- With 'The Shape of Water,' Guillermo del Toro Realizes a Lifelong Monster Dream - Variety - August 31st, 2017
- It's like something out of a horror movie - Crowborough Life - August 31st, 2017
- It took four years to restore horror classic Suspiria watch an exclusive clip - EW.com (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Fall Movie Guide: 35 Superhero, Scifi, and Fantasy Movies to Look Out For - Gizmodo - August 31st, 2017
- The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988) - IMDb - August 30th, 2017
- 7 scary Irish horror movies - IrishCentral - August 30th, 2017
- 'mother!' TV Spots & Viral Site Offer New Clues to Darren Aronofsky's Mysterious Horror Movie - Collider.com - August 30th, 2017
- Stephen King 'Bans' Trump from Seeing His New Horror Flick - Fox News Insider - August 29th, 2017
- 10 Feminist Horror Movies That Will Make You Appreciate the Genre in a Whole New Way - MarieClaire.com - August 28th, 2017
- Hudson Valley Won't Be 'Quiet Place' During Horror Movie Production - Greenburgh Daily Voice - August 28th, 2017
- A Tribute to Tobe Hooper, Whose 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre' Was, and Is, the Horror Film of Its Time - Variety - August 28th, 2017
- Purga, the new Mexican Netflix for horror movie lovers - Vallarta Daily - August 28th, 2017
- It remake tipped to make 38million in biggest September opening weekend of all time after critics hail the horror ... - The Sun - August 28th, 2017
- All of the Clues that 'AHS: Cult' Features Your Favorite Horror Movie Villains - HarpersBAZAAR.com - August 28th, 2017
- Only Clowns Can Attend This Special Screening Of Horror Film 'It' - HuffPost - August 26th, 2017
- 'Red Christmas' Review: Australia's Latest Horror Export Isn't Much of a Present - IndieWire - August 26th, 2017
- This Is a Golden Age of Low-Budget Horror - WIRED - August 26th, 2017
- IT movie: BIG NEWS on Stephen King horror's box office - how many people will it terrify? - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Mother!: everything we know about Jennifer Lawrence's insane, top secret horror movie - Telegraph.co.uk - August 24th, 2017
- Exclusive: Spooky 'Temple' Clip Teases a Paranormal Predicament - Collider.com - August 24th, 2017
- Thai-set horror film 'Ghost House' adroitly keeps the audience on edge - Los Angeles Times - August 24th, 2017
- Todd Tucker: The Terror of Hallow's Eve is a horror movie with a message - 1428 Elm - August 24th, 2017
- Horror movie fans connect at Peter Vullo's 'Thursday Night Terrors' - Buffalo News - August 24th, 2017
- Brutal Beauty: 10 Visually Stunning Horror Movies You Can't Unsee - Collider.com - August 24th, 2017
- 'One of the best horror films of recent years' is showing on TV on Wednesday night - JOE - August 24th, 2017
- How to Become a Horror Movie-Worthy Exorcist IRL - Inverse - August 22nd, 2017
- 10 sci-fi, fantasy and horror films featuring a total eclipse - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- 17 films to catch at Horror Channel FrightFest 2017 - Den of Geek UK - August 22nd, 2017
- FearFest are hosting FREE horror films at a spooky drive in - Gloucestershire Live - August 22nd, 2017
- The 'Stranger Things' Kids Meet Famous Horror Movie Villains In 'Slasher Things' - UPROXX - August 22nd, 2017
- Here's How Real the Exorcisms and Demons Are in Horror Movies ... - Inverse - August 22nd, 2017
- The truth behind horror movie Annabelle: Creation, a real-life tale of demonic doll's reign of terror ending in 'man ... - Birmingham Mail - August 22nd, 2017
- Stranger Things Meets 1980s Horror in the Excellent Mash-Up Slasher Things - Gizmodo - August 22nd, 2017
- This horror movie is 20 years old this week, and proves that sometimes film critics get it very wrong - JOE - August 20th, 2017
- Annabelle Creation Movie Released: Top 5 Upcoming Horror Movies of 2017 That You Need to Watch - India.com - August 19th, 2017
- How Netflix saved Death Note from an early grave - EW.com - August 19th, 2017
- Cambrils shoot out ' was like a horror movie' - Telegraph.co.uk - August 19th, 2017
- Five Horror Movies That Actually Became Real - TVOvermind - August 19th, 2017
- These Ghastly Posters Reimagine Harry Potter As A Horror Movie - Konbini US - August 19th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero