All dolled up and nowhere to go.
“Annabelle: Creation” comes so close to getting it right. This supernatural prequel justifies a whole movie on the origins of the titular creepy doll with good, old school horror — for most of its running time.
With the seal of approval from great Australian actors Miranda Otto and Anthony LaPaglia, “Annabelle: Creation” almost breaks free from the chains of the original movie, a B-grade 2014 flick you don’t need to watch before taking on the prequel.
Orphanage, check. Isolated setting, check. Past tragedy — you get the idea. These classic genre elements are the bare filling of director David F. Sandberg’s horror movie package, and that’s the point. He embraces that well-trodden ground. Sandberg last year landed on the horror scene with the more-than-decent “Lights Out”. As in that tense debut he centres his latest film on a heroine, this time one who’s not only an orphan but also has polio in one leg. The impairment of her crutch and subtle creaks of her leg brace add another nailbiting layer to the fear she’ll make it out OK.
And that’s one of the film’s greatest strengths. You care about Janice and the small group of orphan girls who travel to an isolated house in the mid-’50s to stay with the Mullins, played by Otto and LaPaglia. In a pre-opening title sequence, we see that the couple were left devastated by the death of their daughter 12 years ago. In an effort to move on, they open their house to the orphans, supervised by nun Sister Charlotte.
In her light blue dress, Janice evokes heroines from other movies. She’s Alice in Wonderland as she remains brave and curious despite her circumstances, then Ophelia from “Pan’s Labyrinth” as she explores the house filled with locked rooms, keys and a doll’s house. Meanwhile her cohorts explore outside. They have fun running around — something she’s incapable of — and it’s noted that she’s the weakest of the group.
Talitha Bateman plays Janice, the main protagonist.
Footsteps, doors creaking open and dark corridors ramp up the tension that makes Annabelle (the doll and the movie) scary. This prequel thoroughly establishes that sitting in a rocking chair defines her particular creepiness. Sandberg holds on moments when the girls discover a dumbwaiter, a giant well, a scarecrow, a record player and a chair lift on the stairs. They’re knowing nods to horror movie tropes that tout what to expect from the inevitable demon chase to come.
Luckily, it’s also funny. Surprisingly so, to the point where you sometimes suspect it might not be entirely on purpose. These moments find the levity just on the other side of fear, a technique exhibited so well in the recent acclaimed horror, “Get Out”.
Characters are more subtle than they seem. We see Mr. Mullins smile sadly when he thinks Janice has been awake at night because she’s frightened and sad in her new home… a more human concern than demon-infested dolls.
Lulu Wilson plays Janice’s best friend Linda.
The movie takes a sudden and unwanted turn into tackiness through illogical events that connect it back to “Annabelle”. The carefully crafted tension and suspense fizzle out at the preordained end. It leaves Janice’s story feeling unfair and her character wasted, especially after she’s consoled by Sister Charlotte that she’s not weak at all.
Despite being a prequel (and part of the “Conjuring” series to boot), “Annabelle: Creation” has a standalone feel — at least to start with. If its agenda hadn’t been set in the title, it might have had the freedom to find a more logical conclusion. It’s able to Annabelle’s myth with suspenseful horror and sympathetic characters. But like any horror movie’s characters, it doesn’t escape unscathed.
“Annabelle: Creation” is in theatres in the UK, US and Australia this Friday, 11 August.
Tech Culture: From film and television to social media and games, here’s your place for the lighter side of tech.
Batteries Not Included: The CNET team shares experiences that remind us why tech stuff is cool.
The rest is here:
‘Annabelle: Creation’ burns its hard work to the ground – CNET
- 16 Horror Movies Coming In 2019 (And 9 Possibilities) - May 19th, 2019
- Amazon.com: Watch Scary Movie | Prime Video - May 14th, 2019
- Scary Movie (5/12) Movie CLIP - Wazzup! (2000) HD - April 29th, 2019
- Scary movies locations that you can visit - INSIDER - April 23rd, 2019
- Why Watching Scary Horror Movies for Halloween May Help ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Horror Movies of All Time, Ranked: Scariest ... - Thrillist - April 2nd, 2019
- Scary Movie (6/12) Movie CLIP - Wanna Play Pyscho Killer? (2000) HD - April 2nd, 2019
- Everything to know about the 'Scary Stories to Tell in the ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Scary Movie - Official Site - Miramax - April 2nd, 2019
- Halloween 2018: How Scary (& Violent) Is The New Movie? - March 29th, 2019
- Insidious (2010) - IMDb - March 8th, 2019
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Mini-Trailers Reveal Movie ... - February 5th, 2019
- 2019 horror movies: Are you ready to scream? - CNET - January 20th, 2019
- The Best Horror Movies on Netflix Right Now - collider.com - January 14th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018! | Arrow in the Head - December 30th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2018 - filmschoolrejects.com - December 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie - Everything2.com - December 3rd, 2018
- Scary Movie (1/12) Movie CLIP - Femme Fatality (2000) HD - November 28th, 2018
- Horror movies: What was the first scary movie you saw ... - October 29th, 2018
- The 35 Scariest Movies of All Time | Reader's Digest - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie 4: Anna Faris, Regina Hall, Craig ... - September 26th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (2003) - Rotten Tomatoes - September 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie [Blu-ray]: Anna Faris, Jon ... - September 14th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 - Wikipedia - August 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie Movie Review - Common Sense Media - August 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (11/11) Movie CLIP - Down the Well (2003) HD ... - August 19th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2017 (So Far) - Vulture - August 1st, 2018
- Scary Movie 2 (2001) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - July 28th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - June 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 4 (2006) - IMDb - June 19th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - IMDb - June 18th, 2018
- Bafana: A horror movie where nobody survives - Sport24 - September 7th, 2017
- Here's Why You Should Be Watching A Scary Movie During Your Next Workout - Elite Daily - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' May Be Scary, but Nothing Beats Your Childhood Fears - The Ringer (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Tennessee teen has starring role in upcoming horror movie 'It' - WBIR-TV - September 6th, 2017
- It: a superb Stephen King adaptation fueled less by scary clowns than by real-life evil - Vox - September 6th, 2017
- 17 Horror Movie Remakes That You Should Actually Watch - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- How Get Out Inspired a New College Course on Racism and Horror - Gizmodo - September 6th, 2017
- Scary 'It' does Stephen King largely by the book: movie review - New York Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- 'IT' Movie Reactions Are Scary Good - Uproxx - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- An Expert Explains Why You're Scared of Creepy Clowns and Other Horror Tropes - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Syfy - Horror Movie Magic: The practical effects behind the grossest ... - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Don't let 'killer crown' craze return just because scary movie IT reaches cinemas this week - Gloucestershire Live - September 6th, 2017
- Kill Me Please is a dazzling teen nightmare, and the first great horror film of fall - The Verge - September 6th, 2017
- 10 Awesome Horror Movie Deleted Scenes You Won't Believe Were Cut - WhatCulture - September 6th, 2017
- How American Horror Story: Cult Handled Election Night 2016 in Its First 7 Minutes - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper: How the director created horror's ultimate serial killer - The Independent - September 5th, 2017
- Scary stuff: Bloomington studio creates official 'It' movie poster - Bloomington Pantagraph - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN Africa - September 3rd, 2017
- HELLRAISER Gets Mondo Soundtrack and Poster Release for 30th Anniversary - Nerdist - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN - September 2nd, 2017
- IT movie: The TERRIFYING reason the original Pennywise star QUIT new film - Express.co.uk - September 2nd, 2017
- 'It was wonderfully scary': Tim Curry, Rob Reiner and Kathy Bates on the joy of adapting Stephen King - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Stephen King's scary movie reboot provokes tears from 'legit clowns' - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Stephen King's IT Poised to Be One Heck of a Scary Movie - TVOvermind - August 31st, 2017
- PG-13 Horror Movies That Prove You Don't Need an R-Rating to Be Creepy AF - Collider.com - August 31st, 2017
- How the Original It Miniseries Traumatized a Generation of Kids - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- The Hollywood Tastemaker You've Never Heard Of - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- Screenwriter Gary Dauberman is the new 'It' man - The Ottawa Herald - August 31st, 2017
- The Unpopular Opinion: 'Dead Silence' is One of James Wan's Best Movies - /FILM - August 31st, 2017
- Horror movie season in full swing in Sept. - Graffiti - August 30th, 2017
- Defining IU's breakthrough - South Bend Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- "Scary as sh*t" - the first It movie reactions are in and it's good news for King fans - GamesRadar - August 29th, 2017
- 'It' Clips Show Off Pennywise the Clown, Terrified Children, Etc. - /FILM - August 29th, 2017
- WAMG Giveaway Win the LIFETIME SCARY MOVIE SET From Lionsgate - We Are Movie Geeks - August 28th, 2017
- Ne Obliviscaris' Xenoyr On His Top 10 Epic Horror Films - Dread Central - August 28th, 2017
- In 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre,' Sympathy for the Devil - New York Times - August 28th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation - This is the REAL story behind the incredible film scaring people across Essex - Essex Live - August 28th, 2017
- Innocence lost: Stephen King's IT and the real-life horror of kids in Hollywood - The Guardian - August 28th, 2017
- Early reactions to It praise Stephen King film: 'Totally terrifying,' 'scary as sh--' - EW.com - August 28th, 2017
- Now they're really asking for It: film fuels scary obsession with Stephen King's 1986 novel - CBC.ca - August 28th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper, the horror filmmaker behind 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,' is dead at 74 - Mashable - August 28th, 2017
- The First Reactions To It Are Scary Good - Gizmodo - August 26th, 2017
- EXCLUSIVE: Lakeith Stanfield Reflects on Breakout Year and 'Crown Heights' - 9NEWS.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Mist - Stephen King's adaptation oozes a familiarity in which old-school horror fans will be happy - review - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Schlock & Awe: PIECES is a Bananas and Baffling Chainsaw Massacre - Nerdist - August 24th, 2017
- Eli Roth Puts Horror Classics 'in a Blender' in Terrifying New Trailer for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights - PEOPLE.com - August 24th, 2017
- These Horror Movie Bath Bombs Are Terrifyingly Awesome - Simplemost - August 22nd, 2017
- James Van Der Beek's Daughter Has 'Great Taste' in Movies: Find Out Which (Scary!) Film She Loves Makes Him ... - PEOPLE.com - August 22nd, 2017
- The Horror Movie Jump Scare Actually Has a History - TVOvermind - August 19th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero