As football season replaces special effect/CGI bursting “tentpole” season, Hollywood turns to its aisle packing, auditorium screaming horror/thriller genre to woo viewers until superheroes (and friends) return for Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays.
Author Stephen King is sure to reel in a crowd on Sept. 8. Bill Skarsgard (“Hemlock Grove”) takes the roll of the scariest clown in history, Pennywise, (played by Tim Curry in the TV mini-series) in the big screen adaptation of “It.”
King’s longest novel (over 1,100 pages) pits seven friends in Derry, Maine, against an epitome of evil – a shapeshifter. When children begin to disappear, townspeople must come together to defeat the being, whose history dates back to 1715 when he emerged from hibernation in a crashed space vessel. Pennywise returns to wreak havoc every 30 years thereafter.
Known, too, as Dancing Clown, Eater of Woods and Consumption, director Andy Muschietti envisions a two part production for King’s macabre creation.
Pennywise has allegedly been spotted in The Tommyknockers, Dreamcatcher (“Pennywise lives” written in graffiti), and is mentioned in Gray Matter, 11/22/63, and Insominia.
Curry’s mini-series character had only two forms: the clown and a giant pregnant spider. Those who have braved the novel know that he can be The Creature from the Black Lagoon, a giant crow, Rodan of Godzilla fame, a werewolf, a leper, a mummy, flying leeches, a swarm of piranhas, the shark from Jaws, Dracula, Paul Bunyan, Frankenstein’s Monster, an eight foot tall doberman pinscher, the witch from Hansel and Gretel, or a decomposed zombie.
“Mother” (Sept. 15) stars Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer in this riveting psychological thriller about love, devotion, and sacrifice where uninvited guests turn tranquility into chaos. Darren Aronofsky (“Black Swan,” “Requiem for a Dream”) directs.
“Friend Request” (Sept. 22) Laura (Alycia Debnam-Carey) is one of the most popular girls in her high school. She is then sent a Facebook friend request by lonely Marina (Liesl Ahlers). Having initially accepted, Laura finds herself being obsessively pursued by Marina and not long afterward hits the unfriend button. But something demonic appears when, after Marina commits suicide online, a supernatural presence pursues Laura.
“Till Death Do Us Part” (Sept. 29) opens with the seemingly perfect marriage of Michael (Stephen Bishop) and Madison Roland (Annie Ilonzeh) but controlling Michael begins to abuse Madison. With the help of her best friend Chelsea (Robinne Lee), Madison flees. After adopting a new identity, she meets and falls in love with Alex Stone (Taye Diggs). But her ex discovers her whereabouts and pursues her.
“Flatliners” (Sept. 29), this horror fantasy remake has a Frankenstein’s monster origin as a group of medical students experiment with near death experiences from past tragedies until the dark consequences begin to jeopardize their current lives. Instead of abandoning their lab work, they embark on a more daring and dangerous experiment.
The scary month of October brings fresh horror ops nearly each weekend.
“Happy Death Day” (Oct. 13) may revive thoughts of Bill Murray’s “Groundhog Day,” but it’s a total 180 degree turn. Jessica Rothe starts as Tree Gelbman who must relive her birthday slashing again and again until, hopefully, she figures out how to stop it.
“Snowman” (Oct. 20) has a detective investigating the disappearance of a victim on the year’s first snowfall and fears the evidence points to cold cases which suggest another killing the next time snow falls.
“Jigsaw” (Oct. 27) returns to subject people to gruesome fatal puzzles which lead to uniquely gory deaths. Michael and Peter Spierig direct the seventh film in the “Saw” franchise with eyes on reinventing it.
Two science fiction films await, the “Blade Runner 2049” sequel which features Harrison Ford and “Geostorm” (Oct. 20), where a satellite designer tries to save the world from a storm of epic proportions caused by malfunctioning climate-controlling satellites.
Horror movie season in full swing in Sept. – Graffiti
- Scary Movie - Everything2.com - December 3rd, 2018
- Scary Movie (1/12) Movie CLIP - Femme Fatality (2000) HD - November 28th, 2018
- Horror movies: What was the first scary movie you saw ... - October 29th, 2018
- The 35 Scariest Movies of All Time | Reader's Digest - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie 4: Anna Faris, Regina Hall, Craig ... - September 26th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (2003) - Rotten Tomatoes - September 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie [Blu-ray]: Anna Faris, Jon ... - September 14th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 - Wikipedia - August 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie Movie Review - Common Sense Media - August 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (11/11) Movie CLIP - Down the Well (2003) HD ... - August 19th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2017 (So Far) - Vulture - August 1st, 2018
- Scary Movie 2 (2001) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - July 28th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - June 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 4 (2006) - IMDb - June 19th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - IMDb - June 18th, 2018
- Bafana: A horror movie where nobody survives - Sport24 - September 7th, 2017
- Here's Why You Should Be Watching A Scary Movie During Your Next Workout - Elite Daily - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' May Be Scary, but Nothing Beats Your Childhood Fears - The Ringer (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Tennessee teen has starring role in upcoming horror movie 'It' - WBIR-TV - September 6th, 2017
- It: a superb Stephen King adaptation fueled less by scary clowns than by real-life evil - Vox - September 6th, 2017
- 17 Horror Movie Remakes That You Should Actually Watch - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- How Get Out Inspired a New College Course on Racism and Horror - Gizmodo - September 6th, 2017
- Scary 'It' does Stephen King largely by the book: movie review - New York Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- 'IT' Movie Reactions Are Scary Good - Uproxx - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- An Expert Explains Why You're Scared of Creepy Clowns and Other Horror Tropes - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Syfy - Horror Movie Magic: The practical effects behind the grossest ... - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Don't let 'killer crown' craze return just because scary movie IT reaches cinemas this week - Gloucestershire Live - September 6th, 2017
- Kill Me Please is a dazzling teen nightmare, and the first great horror film of fall - The Verge - September 6th, 2017
- 10 Awesome Horror Movie Deleted Scenes You Won't Believe Were Cut - WhatCulture - September 6th, 2017
- How American Horror Story: Cult Handled Election Night 2016 in Its First 7 Minutes - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper: How the director created horror's ultimate serial killer - The Independent - September 5th, 2017
- Scary stuff: Bloomington studio creates official 'It' movie poster - Bloomington Pantagraph - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN Africa - September 3rd, 2017
- HELLRAISER Gets Mondo Soundtrack and Poster Release for 30th Anniversary - Nerdist - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN - September 2nd, 2017
- IT movie: The TERRIFYING reason the original Pennywise star QUIT new film - Express.co.uk - September 2nd, 2017
- 'It was wonderfully scary': Tim Curry, Rob Reiner and Kathy Bates on the joy of adapting Stephen King - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Stephen King's scary movie reboot provokes tears from 'legit clowns' - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Stephen King's IT Poised to Be One Heck of a Scary Movie - TVOvermind - August 31st, 2017
- PG-13 Horror Movies That Prove You Don't Need an R-Rating to Be Creepy AF - Collider.com - August 31st, 2017
- How the Original It Miniseries Traumatized a Generation of Kids - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- The Hollywood Tastemaker You've Never Heard Of - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- Screenwriter Gary Dauberman is the new 'It' man - The Ottawa Herald - August 31st, 2017
- The Unpopular Opinion: 'Dead Silence' is One of James Wan's Best Movies - /FILM - August 31st, 2017
- Defining IU's breakthrough - South Bend Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- "Scary as sh*t" - the first It movie reactions are in and it's good news for King fans - GamesRadar - August 29th, 2017
- 'It' Clips Show Off Pennywise the Clown, Terrified Children, Etc. - /FILM - August 29th, 2017
- WAMG Giveaway Win the LIFETIME SCARY MOVIE SET From Lionsgate - We Are Movie Geeks - August 28th, 2017
- Ne Obliviscaris' Xenoyr On His Top 10 Epic Horror Films - Dread Central - August 28th, 2017
- In 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre,' Sympathy for the Devil - New York Times - August 28th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation - This is the REAL story behind the incredible film scaring people across Essex - Essex Live - August 28th, 2017
- Innocence lost: Stephen King's IT and the real-life horror of kids in Hollywood - The Guardian - August 28th, 2017
- Early reactions to It praise Stephen King film: 'Totally terrifying,' 'scary as sh--' - EW.com - August 28th, 2017
- Now they're really asking for It: film fuels scary obsession with Stephen King's 1986 novel - CBC.ca - August 28th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper, the horror filmmaker behind 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,' is dead at 74 - Mashable - August 28th, 2017
- The First Reactions To It Are Scary Good - Gizmodo - August 26th, 2017
- EXCLUSIVE: Lakeith Stanfield Reflects on Breakout Year and 'Crown Heights' - 9NEWS.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Mist - Stephen King's adaptation oozes a familiarity in which old-school horror fans will be happy - review - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Schlock & Awe: PIECES is a Bananas and Baffling Chainsaw Massacre - Nerdist - August 24th, 2017
- Eli Roth Puts Horror Classics 'in a Blender' in Terrifying New Trailer for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights - PEOPLE.com - August 24th, 2017
- These Horror Movie Bath Bombs Are Terrifyingly Awesome - Simplemost - August 22nd, 2017
- James Van Der Beek's Daughter Has 'Great Taste' in Movies: Find Out Which (Scary!) Film She Loves Makes Him ... - PEOPLE.com - August 22nd, 2017
- The Horror Movie Jump Scare Actually Has a History - TVOvermind - August 19th, 2017
- 15 Best Horror Movies on Hulu Right Now - Den of Geek US - August 19th, 2017
- 5 scary doll movies like Annabelle: Creation - The Indian Express - August 19th, 2017
- 'Scary Mother' Wins at Sarajevo Film Festival; Bosnia-Herzegovina Selects Oscar Entry - Variety - August 19th, 2017
- Scary Movie Bath Bombs Make the Perfect Halloween Soak | Brit + Co - Brit + Co - August 17th, 2017
- Top 10 Horror Movies You Need To Watch! - Instinct Magazine - August 17th, 2017
- 68 Kill Coming to Cinemapolis - ithaca.com - August 17th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation movie review - Genuinely creepy; the best film in the Conjuring universe - Hindustan Times - August 17th, 2017
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about The Conjuring - TVOvermind - August 17th, 2017
- Five Easy Steps to Making a Better Horror Sequel - Vulture - August 17th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation Movie Review: More Giggles Than Scary Screams - koimoi - August 16th, 2017
- Marlon Wayans dishes on new Netflix movie 'Naked' and NBC sitcom 'Marlon' - WTOP - August 14th, 2017
- 'Annabelle: Creation' is scary good - The Spokesman-Review - August 11th, 2017
- Marlon Wayans sees work in sitcom, movie as finally coming into his own - The Columbus Dispatch - August 11th, 2017
- 'Annabelle: Creation' is scary good - Washington Post - August 10th, 2017
- 'Annabelle: Creation' burns its hard work to the ground - CNET - August 9th, 2017
- Chris Pratt Shares A Heart-Breaking Message As He Announces Split From Scary Movie's Anna Faris - Capital FM - August 7th, 2017
- At This Horror Movie Sleepaway Camp, Nightmares Are the Ticket to a Dream Job - Thrillist - August 7th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero