Because he’s sold some 350 million books, you might expect to see local book stores teeming with copies of Stephen King’s 1986 novel It.
As it turns out,It isn’t easy to find.
A movie adaptation of the novel is due for release Sept. 8 and while you might get your hands on a copy of Cujo, The Shinning or Pet Semetary, finding It won’t be easy.
The movie is tipped to rake in $50-million at the box office and thenovel about an evil entity that takes the form of a child-killing clown in smalltown Maine is a hot item again.
At one used bookstore in London, Ont., salespeople say customers are asking for It five or six times a week.
“Stephen King is one of those authors that it doesn’t matter what time of year, he’s always popular and definitely with the movie coming out, It is exceptionally popular right now,” Robin from Attic Bookstore said.
It’s a similar story at City Lights Book Store in the same southwestern Ontario city. There staff had to put a sticky note on their Stephen King shelf that reads: “Sorry, We are out of It.”
City Lights owner TheresaTarasewicz saidstaff braced for the demand after the movie trailer came out in the spring.
“We knew that we were going to get asked for It and we were surprised by the volume of calls,” she said. “He’s always popular but whenever the movie comes out, people get interested in the novel.”
City Lights staff have builta kind of shrine to the horror writer, who’s churned out more than 50 books in his profilic career.
“We created a tower of Stephen King,” saidTarasewicz. “Kind of a joke on his Dark Tower series. We took our tallest, most narrow book case and we keep it stocked with King all over the place, from the hardcovers to the original novels.”
The shelves at Attic books are laden with the work of Stephen King. He’s sold an estimated 300 million books, but local bookstore owners say they’re asked about his work on a weekly basis. (Andrew Lupton/CBC)
But it isn’t just his horror and fantasy books fans are after.Tarasewiczsaid his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craftis also in constant demand.
She figures fans and aspiring writers are interested in any tips that might help them write a bestseller.
Public libraries also carry copies of the novel, as well as the 1990TV miniseries adaptation of It, which many libraries have in DVD form. It stars Tim Curry as Pennywise the terrifying clown.
Come and get It. This hardcover copy, at Attic Books on Dundas Street, was the only one CBC London was able to find after a cursory cruise through the downtown book shops. It was still there as of Friday. Front display case, top left corner. The price: $10. (Andrew Lupton/CBC)
CBC London was able to track down a used copy of It at Attic Books. Staff placed it in a display case facing DundasStreet. As of Friday afternoon. It was still there.
It probably won’t last long but anyone who buys it will have to read quickly. King’s original novel is 1,100 pages.
“It’s a real brick of a book,” saidTarasewicz.
But brick or not, she wishes she had a few copies in stock so she can sell more of It.
- 16 Horror Movies Coming In 2019 (And 9 Possibilities) - May 19th, 2019
- Amazon.com: Watch Scary Movie | Prime Video - May 14th, 2019
- Scary Movie (5/12) Movie CLIP - Wazzup! (2000) HD - April 29th, 2019
- Scary movies locations that you can visit - INSIDER - April 23rd, 2019
- Why Watching Scary Horror Movies for Halloween May Help ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Horror Movies of All Time, Ranked: Scariest ... - Thrillist - April 2nd, 2019
- Scary Movie (6/12) Movie CLIP - Wanna Play Pyscho Killer? (2000) HD - April 2nd, 2019
- Everything to know about the 'Scary Stories to Tell in the ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Scary Movie - Official Site - Miramax - April 2nd, 2019
- Halloween 2018: How Scary (& Violent) Is The New Movie? - March 29th, 2019
- Insidious (2010) - IMDb - March 8th, 2019
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Mini-Trailers Reveal Movie ... - February 5th, 2019
- 2019 horror movies: Are you ready to scream? - CNET - January 20th, 2019
- The Best Horror Movies on Netflix Right Now - collider.com - January 14th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018! | Arrow in the Head - December 30th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2018 - filmschoolrejects.com - December 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie - Everything2.com - December 3rd, 2018
- Scary Movie (1/12) Movie CLIP - Femme Fatality (2000) HD - November 28th, 2018
- Horror movies: What was the first scary movie you saw ... - October 29th, 2018
- The 35 Scariest Movies of All Time | Reader's Digest - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie 4: Anna Faris, Regina Hall, Craig ... - September 26th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (2003) - Rotten Tomatoes - September 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie [Blu-ray]: Anna Faris, Jon ... - September 14th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 - Wikipedia - August 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie Movie Review - Common Sense Media - August 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (11/11) Movie CLIP - Down the Well (2003) HD ... - August 19th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2017 (So Far) - Vulture - August 1st, 2018
- Scary Movie 2 (2001) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - July 28th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - June 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 4 (2006) - IMDb - June 19th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - IMDb - June 18th, 2018
- Bafana: A horror movie where nobody survives - Sport24 - September 7th, 2017
- Here's Why You Should Be Watching A Scary Movie During Your Next Workout - Elite Daily - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' May Be Scary, but Nothing Beats Your Childhood Fears - The Ringer (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Tennessee teen has starring role in upcoming horror movie 'It' - WBIR-TV - September 6th, 2017
- It: a superb Stephen King adaptation fueled less by scary clowns than by real-life evil - Vox - September 6th, 2017
- 17 Horror Movie Remakes That You Should Actually Watch - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- How Get Out Inspired a New College Course on Racism and Horror - Gizmodo - September 6th, 2017
- Scary 'It' does Stephen King largely by the book: movie review - New York Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- 'IT' Movie Reactions Are Scary Good - Uproxx - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- An Expert Explains Why You're Scared of Creepy Clowns and Other Horror Tropes - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Syfy - Horror Movie Magic: The practical effects behind the grossest ... - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Don't let 'killer crown' craze return just because scary movie IT reaches cinemas this week - Gloucestershire Live - September 6th, 2017
- Kill Me Please is a dazzling teen nightmare, and the first great horror film of fall - The Verge - September 6th, 2017
- 10 Awesome Horror Movie Deleted Scenes You Won't Believe Were Cut - WhatCulture - September 6th, 2017
- How American Horror Story: Cult Handled Election Night 2016 in Its First 7 Minutes - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper: How the director created horror's ultimate serial killer - The Independent - September 5th, 2017
- Scary stuff: Bloomington studio creates official 'It' movie poster - Bloomington Pantagraph - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN Africa - September 3rd, 2017
- HELLRAISER Gets Mondo Soundtrack and Poster Release for 30th Anniversary - Nerdist - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN - September 2nd, 2017
- IT movie: The TERRIFYING reason the original Pennywise star QUIT new film - Express.co.uk - September 2nd, 2017
- 'It was wonderfully scary': Tim Curry, Rob Reiner and Kathy Bates on the joy of adapting Stephen King - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Stephen King's scary movie reboot provokes tears from 'legit clowns' - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Stephen King's IT Poised to Be One Heck of a Scary Movie - TVOvermind - August 31st, 2017
- PG-13 Horror Movies That Prove You Don't Need an R-Rating to Be Creepy AF - Collider.com - August 31st, 2017
- How the Original It Miniseries Traumatized a Generation of Kids - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- The Hollywood Tastemaker You've Never Heard Of - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- Screenwriter Gary Dauberman is the new 'It' man - The Ottawa Herald - August 31st, 2017
- The Unpopular Opinion: 'Dead Silence' is One of James Wan's Best Movies - /FILM - August 31st, 2017
- Horror movie season in full swing in Sept. - Graffiti - August 30th, 2017
- Defining IU's breakthrough - South Bend Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- "Scary as sh*t" - the first It movie reactions are in and it's good news for King fans - GamesRadar - August 29th, 2017
- 'It' Clips Show Off Pennywise the Clown, Terrified Children, Etc. - /FILM - August 29th, 2017
- WAMG Giveaway Win the LIFETIME SCARY MOVIE SET From Lionsgate - We Are Movie Geeks - August 28th, 2017
- Ne Obliviscaris' Xenoyr On His Top 10 Epic Horror Films - Dread Central - August 28th, 2017
- In 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre,' Sympathy for the Devil - New York Times - August 28th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation - This is the REAL story behind the incredible film scaring people across Essex - Essex Live - August 28th, 2017
- Innocence lost: Stephen King's IT and the real-life horror of kids in Hollywood - The Guardian - August 28th, 2017
- Early reactions to It praise Stephen King film: 'Totally terrifying,' 'scary as sh--' - EW.com - August 28th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper, the horror filmmaker behind 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,' is dead at 74 - Mashable - August 28th, 2017
- The First Reactions To It Are Scary Good - Gizmodo - August 26th, 2017
- EXCLUSIVE: Lakeith Stanfield Reflects on Breakout Year and 'Crown Heights' - 9NEWS.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Mist - Stephen King's adaptation oozes a familiarity in which old-school horror fans will be happy - review - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Schlock & Awe: PIECES is a Bananas and Baffling Chainsaw Massacre - Nerdist - August 24th, 2017
- Eli Roth Puts Horror Classics 'in a Blender' in Terrifying New Trailer for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights - PEOPLE.com - August 24th, 2017
- These Horror Movie Bath Bombs Are Terrifyingly Awesome - Simplemost - August 22nd, 2017
- James Van Der Beek's Daughter Has 'Great Taste' in Movies: Find Out Which (Scary!) Film She Loves Makes Him ... - PEOPLE.com - August 22nd, 2017
- The Horror Movie Jump Scare Actually Has a History - TVOvermind - August 19th, 2017
- 15 Best Horror Movies on Hulu Right Now - Den of Geek US - August 19th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero