Scary Movie 3 is a 2003 American horror comedy film, which parodies the horror, sci-fi, and mystery genres. It is the third film in the Scary Movie franchise, and the first to be directed by David Zucker.
The film stars Anna Faris and Regina Hall reprising their roles as Cindy Campbell and Brenda Meeks, respectively. New cast members include Charlie Sheen, Simon Rex, Anthony Anderson, Kevin Hart, and Leslie Nielsen. It is the first film in the series to feature no involvement from the Wayans family. The characters of Shorty Meeks and Ray Wilkins, previously played by Shawn and Marlon Wayans, do not appear, nor are they referenced.
The film’s plot significantly parodies the films The Ring, Signs, The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, and 8 Mile. The film grossed $220.7 million worldwide. It is the last film in the series to be released by The Walt Disney Company’s subsidiary Miramax Films, under the brand Dimension Films. After Dimension Films brand left Disney, Scary Movie 4 became the first film to be released by The Weinstein Company. It was named the 2004 Teen Choice Awards in the category of Choice Movie: Your Parents Didn’t Want You to See.
Katie (Jenny McCarthy) and Becca (Pamela Anderson) talk about what Katie believes is a sex tape, but Becca calls it a cursed tape. After several odd occurrences, they both die. Meanwhile, in a farm outside Washington, D.C., widowed farmer Tom Logan (Charlie Sheen) and his clumsy brother George (Simon Rex) discover a crop circle, saying “Attack Here!”
Cindy Campbell (Anna Faris), now a blonde news reporter, announces the crop circles on the news. She picks up her paranormally endowed nephew Cody from school, where her best friend Brenda Meeks (Regina Hall) is his teacher. George picks up his niece Sue, who is in the same class. Cindy and George fall in love, and George invites her and Brenda to a rap-battle with his rapper friends Mahalik (Anthony Anderson) and CJ (Kevin Hart). George proves to be talented but is disqualified for unintentional racist blunders.
After watching the cursed videotape, Brenda asks Cindy to keep her company. After playing several pranks on Cindy, she gets the rest of the popcorn in the living room, when the TV turns on. Tabitha climbs out of the TV and Brenda fights with Tabitha. Tabitha kills Brenda, since Cindy is ignoring the ruckus. George receives a phone call about the death, and Tom meets with Sayaman, who apologizes for the accident involving himself and Tom’s wife Annie.
During Brenda’s wake, George and Mahalik wreak havoc in an unsuccessful attempt to revive her, only to blow up her body and get kicked out of the house. Cindy watches the tape, finding it odd. A phone caller tells her she will die in a week. She calls George, CJ and Mahalik for help. CJ says his Aunt Shaneequa might be able to help. Shaneequa (Queen Latifah), the Matrix Oracle, and her husband Orpheus (Eddie Griffin) agree to watch the tape. Shaneequa discovers the hidden image of a lighthouse and gets in a fight with Tabitha’s mother. Shaneequa tells Cindy to find the lighthouse to break the curse. When Cindy returns home, she finds Cody watched the tape.
At work, Cindy searches through pictures of lighthouses before finding the one from the tape. Desperate to save Cody, Cindy warns everyone by entering a message into the news anchor’s teleprompter. Her boss interrupts her, and the anchor mechanically recites the wrong message. The Logans take it seriously since they encountered an alien disguised as Michael Jackson, and President Baxter Harris (Leslie Nielsen) personally visits the farm to investigate the crop circles. Cindy visits the lighthouse, where she encounters The Architect (George Carlin). The loquacious (and lecherous) old man explains Tabitha was his evil adopted daughter, whom his wife drowned in the farm’s well, but not before she imprinted her evil onto the tape. Unfortunately, he mistakenly returned it to Blockbuster believing it was Pootie Tang, unleashing the curse. When Cindy asks about how this relates to the Aliens, the Architect speculates that Tabitha is summoning them to aid her in destroying the human race.
Returning home, Cindy discovers her station has been broadcasting the evil tape for hours, and there have been various sightings of aliens around the world. Worse, Cody is missing. Cindy tracks him to the Logan farm, where he has taken refuge with George. Tom orders everybody into the basement for safety, as he, George and Mahalik go outside to fight the extraterrestrials. The aliens arrive but reveal they are friendly and have come to stop Tabitha, since they accidentally watched the tape on a broadcast they had intercepted, again believing it was Pootie Tang.
In the basement, Cindy recognizes farm’s cellar from the tape, and she finds the well where Tabitha drowned. Suddenly, Tabitha appears behind her. A short fight ensues, during which Tabitha takes Cody hostage. Cindy and George appeal to her, offering her a place in their family. Tabitha appears to accept the offer but changes back to her monstrous form. As she advances on Cindy and the others, President Harris accidentally knocks her into the well. The aliens leave in peace, and Cindy and George get married. Leaving for their honeymoon, they realize they left Cody behind. After Cindy avoids hitting Cody at an intersection, another car strikes him.
As well as in “The Rap Battle”, several actual rappers assist in the confrontation with the aliens and a subsequent shootout amongst themselves.
There were four posters. The first poster spoofed Signs where the signs are shaved on the back of someones hair with a small house on top on the hair and on the top left of the hair is a comb. The second poster spoofed The Ring where there are two rings with a small circle inside each ring and at the bottom of the poster is an upside down triangle. The header reads “You’d die to see these rings”. The third poster spoofed Catch Me If You Can where a woman in her bikini, who is screaming is running away from a blue alien. The header reads “catch her if you can”. The fourth and final poster is the original poster as in the first two Scary Movie films where sitting in the back are Orpheus, Oracle and President Baxter Harris and sitting in the front row are Simon Rex, Mahalik, Cindy Campbell and Tom Logan with Annie Logan sitting on his right knee. MJ alien is sitting in the far back and the background spoofing the signs poster. The header reads “Great trilogies come in threes”.
The DVD edition includes a director’s audio commentary, several deleted scenes and alternative endings (with optional commentary). A “3.5” special DVD was also released, and contained several more deleted scenes than the original DVD, with an unrated version of the film.
In the alternate ending, Cindy is told Cody does not exist. After hitting a few people in the face with a shovel, Cindy asks everybody who is not real to stand over at a different spot. Cody goes over there, but is followed by Santa Claus. The aliens then begin to invade but George stops them by transforming into The Hulk. President Harris tries to hulk out, but ends up soiling his pants. Cindy enters the Logan House, where she is attacked by Tabitha. She is teleported away to Aunt Shaneequa, who teaches her how to defeat Tabitha. Cindy must then confront hundreds of Tabithas. She wins the battle by performing moves from The Matrix and teleports back to the Logan House. The cast then gets into a car with the President, but are horrified to learn that the driver happens to be M. Night Shyamalan.
One of the scenes that appeared on the Extended DVD named Scary Movie 3.5 was part of the unrated feature. After Pamela Anderson and Jenny McCarthy shut off the TV, the two compliment each other on their good looks. Anderson then asks if McCarthy wants her “shaved pussy”, but this turns out to be a furless kitten.
In an extended scene, the person who runs Cody down at the end is shown to be Michael Jackson.
The film parodies several films, including The Ring, Signs, The Matrix, Malibus Most Wanted,The Matrix Reloaded, 8 Mile, Minority Report, BASEketball, The Lord of the Rings, The Sixth Sense, The Others, Pootie Tang, Airplane!, Air Force One and Invasion of the Body Snatchers Series. It also briefly references and parodies the urban legend of the disappearing hitchhiker.
The score for the film was composed by James L. Venable. The original soundtrack was released on October 24, 2003, and features hip hop artists such as Buku Wise, Delinquent Habits, Dame Lee, Kebyar, and others. Frank Fitzpatrick served as music supervisor for the film and soundtrack. Fitzpatrick produced and co-wrote the majority of original songs used for the feature.
The film opened at the number one spot in the US, grossing $48.1 million in its opening weekend and $57.5 million for that week. In its second week, it grossed $24.7 million. At the end of its box office run, Scary Movie 3 grossed $110 million in the US and $110.7 million internationally, making $220.7 million in total.
The film received a 36% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and 49 out of 100 on Metacritic. This is the first film in the series to be rated PG-13. The first two films were R-rated.
Scary Movie 3 – Wikipedia
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Mini-Trailers Reveal Movie ... - February 5th, 2019
- 2019 horror movies: Are you ready to scream? - CNET - January 20th, 2019
- The Best Horror Movies on Netflix Right Now - collider.com - January 14th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018! | Arrow in the Head - December 30th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2018 - filmschoolrejects.com - December 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie - Everything2.com - December 3rd, 2018
- Scary Movie (1/12) Movie CLIP - Femme Fatality (2000) HD - November 28th, 2018
- Horror movies: What was the first scary movie you saw ... - October 29th, 2018
- The 35 Scariest Movies of All Time | Reader's Digest - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie 4: Anna Faris, Regina Hall, Craig ... - September 26th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (2003) - Rotten Tomatoes - September 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie [Blu-ray]: Anna Faris, Jon ... - September 14th, 2018
- Scary Movie Movie Review - Common Sense Media - August 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (11/11) Movie CLIP - Down the Well (2003) HD ... - August 19th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2017 (So Far) - Vulture - August 1st, 2018
- Scary Movie 2 (2001) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - July 28th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - June 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 4 (2006) - IMDb - June 19th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - IMDb - June 18th, 2018
- Bafana: A horror movie where nobody survives - Sport24 - September 7th, 2017
- Here's Why You Should Be Watching A Scary Movie During Your Next Workout - Elite Daily - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' May Be Scary, but Nothing Beats Your Childhood Fears - The Ringer (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Tennessee teen has starring role in upcoming horror movie 'It' - WBIR-TV - September 6th, 2017
- It: a superb Stephen King adaptation fueled less by scary clowns than by real-life evil - Vox - September 6th, 2017
- 17 Horror Movie Remakes That You Should Actually Watch - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- How Get Out Inspired a New College Course on Racism and Horror - Gizmodo - September 6th, 2017
- Scary 'It' does Stephen King largely by the book: movie review - New York Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- 'IT' Movie Reactions Are Scary Good - Uproxx - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- An Expert Explains Why You're Scared of Creepy Clowns and Other Horror Tropes - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Syfy - Horror Movie Magic: The practical effects behind the grossest ... - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Don't let 'killer crown' craze return just because scary movie IT reaches cinemas this week - Gloucestershire Live - September 6th, 2017
- Kill Me Please is a dazzling teen nightmare, and the first great horror film of fall - The Verge - September 6th, 2017
- 10 Awesome Horror Movie Deleted Scenes You Won't Believe Were Cut - WhatCulture - September 6th, 2017
- How American Horror Story: Cult Handled Election Night 2016 in Its First 7 Minutes - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper: How the director created horror's ultimate serial killer - The Independent - September 5th, 2017
- Scary stuff: Bloomington studio creates official 'It' movie poster - Bloomington Pantagraph - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN Africa - September 3rd, 2017
- HELLRAISER Gets Mondo Soundtrack and Poster Release for 30th Anniversary - Nerdist - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN - September 2nd, 2017
- IT movie: The TERRIFYING reason the original Pennywise star QUIT new film - Express.co.uk - September 2nd, 2017
- 'It was wonderfully scary': Tim Curry, Rob Reiner and Kathy Bates on the joy of adapting Stephen King - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Stephen King's scary movie reboot provokes tears from 'legit clowns' - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Stephen King's IT Poised to Be One Heck of a Scary Movie - TVOvermind - August 31st, 2017
- PG-13 Horror Movies That Prove You Don't Need an R-Rating to Be Creepy AF - Collider.com - August 31st, 2017
- How the Original It Miniseries Traumatized a Generation of Kids - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- The Hollywood Tastemaker You've Never Heard Of - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- Screenwriter Gary Dauberman is the new 'It' man - The Ottawa Herald - August 31st, 2017
- The Unpopular Opinion: 'Dead Silence' is One of James Wan's Best Movies - /FILM - August 31st, 2017
- Horror movie season in full swing in Sept. - Graffiti - August 30th, 2017
- Defining IU's breakthrough - South Bend Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- "Scary as sh*t" - the first It movie reactions are in and it's good news for King fans - GamesRadar - August 29th, 2017
- 'It' Clips Show Off Pennywise the Clown, Terrified Children, Etc. - /FILM - August 29th, 2017
- WAMG Giveaway Win the LIFETIME SCARY MOVIE SET From Lionsgate - We Are Movie Geeks - August 28th, 2017
- Ne Obliviscaris' Xenoyr On His Top 10 Epic Horror Films - Dread Central - August 28th, 2017
- In 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre,' Sympathy for the Devil - New York Times - August 28th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation - This is the REAL story behind the incredible film scaring people across Essex - Essex Live - August 28th, 2017
- Innocence lost: Stephen King's IT and the real-life horror of kids in Hollywood - The Guardian - August 28th, 2017
- Early reactions to It praise Stephen King film: 'Totally terrifying,' 'scary as sh--' - EW.com - August 28th, 2017
- Now they're really asking for It: film fuels scary obsession with Stephen King's 1986 novel - CBC.ca - August 28th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper, the horror filmmaker behind 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,' is dead at 74 - Mashable - August 28th, 2017
- The First Reactions To It Are Scary Good - Gizmodo - August 26th, 2017
- EXCLUSIVE: Lakeith Stanfield Reflects on Breakout Year and 'Crown Heights' - 9NEWS.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Mist - Stephen King's adaptation oozes a familiarity in which old-school horror fans will be happy - review - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Schlock & Awe: PIECES is a Bananas and Baffling Chainsaw Massacre - Nerdist - August 24th, 2017
- Eli Roth Puts Horror Classics 'in a Blender' in Terrifying New Trailer for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights - PEOPLE.com - August 24th, 2017
- These Horror Movie Bath Bombs Are Terrifyingly Awesome - Simplemost - August 22nd, 2017
- James Van Der Beek's Daughter Has 'Great Taste' in Movies: Find Out Which (Scary!) Film She Loves Makes Him ... - PEOPLE.com - August 22nd, 2017
- The Horror Movie Jump Scare Actually Has a History - TVOvermind - August 19th, 2017
- 15 Best Horror Movies on Hulu Right Now - Den of Geek US - August 19th, 2017
- 5 scary doll movies like Annabelle: Creation - The Indian Express - August 19th, 2017
- 'Scary Mother' Wins at Sarajevo Film Festival; Bosnia-Herzegovina Selects Oscar Entry - Variety - August 19th, 2017
- Scary Movie Bath Bombs Make the Perfect Halloween Soak | Brit + Co - Brit + Co - August 17th, 2017
- Top 10 Horror Movies You Need To Watch! - Instinct Magazine - August 17th, 2017
- 68 Kill Coming to Cinemapolis - ithaca.com - August 17th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation movie review - Genuinely creepy; the best film in the Conjuring universe - Hindustan Times - August 17th, 2017
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about The Conjuring - TVOvermind - August 17th, 2017
- Five Easy Steps to Making a Better Horror Sequel - Vulture - August 17th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation Movie Review: More Giggles Than Scary Screams - koimoi - August 16th, 2017
- Marlon Wayans dishes on new Netflix movie 'Naked' and NBC sitcom 'Marlon' - WTOP - August 14th, 2017
- 'Annabelle: Creation' is scary good - The Spokesman-Review - August 11th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero