Warning: The following contains spoilers for the Season 9 premiere of The Walking Dead. If you havent watched yet, proceed at your own risk.
So far, so good. Sunday night, The Walking Dead kicked off its ninth season and the AMC dramas first under new showrunner Angela Kang, who also wrote the episode with a fairly satisfying hour-plus that included a fateful trip to Washington, D.C., a proposal of marriage and a couple of deaths (one of which was a long time coming!). For whom did A New Beginning mark the end? Read on and find out.
I DONT LIKE SPIDERS | As the episode began, we were treated to glimpses of not only how much Alexandria had been rebuilt in the 18-month time jump that followed the Season 8 finale but also the happy home life that Rick and Michonne had established with Judith. (Adorably, the moppet insisted on painting her dad with a grumpy face and big tummy in her extended-family portrait.) Before most of our regulars convened for the aforementioned field trip to D.C., we also got a peek at the goings-on at the Sanctuary (where Daryl put the kibosh on the use of a walker as a scarecrow) and in the woods (where Aaron, perhaps laying the groundwork for a new flirtation, expressed an interest in picking up Jesus martial-arts skills). Following the super-stylish new opening credits, a large group of survivors hit the Museum of Natural History to score seeds (thanks to intel from Anne, a former teacher) and old-timey equipment that didnt run on gas, which had become almost as scarce as Internet service.
At first, the visit was kind of a lark. Though a walker grabbed Siddiq by the leg, he was really less grossed out by the zombie than he was by the spiders that appeared to have made a home of its head. And Gabriel dispatched a walker in just the right spot in front of an exhibit to make it appear that the undead were the final stage in the evolution of man. Or the de-evolution of man, as Anne put it. Cyndie bonded with Daryl over those that were no longer with them; Maggie told Carol and Michonne that, since Gregory lost the Hilltop election to her, hed been being nice (a sure sign that he was up to no good!); and, amid all their talk of democracys rebirth, Carol couldnt help but marvel at the irony of her having shacked up with a king. As for the task at hand, the group miraculously got a huge wagon down the stairs and safely across a glass floor that overlooked a level overrun with walkers. When afterwards, Ezekiel tried to cross the floor tied to a plow, he wasnt so lucky he wound up crashing through and dangling just above the zombies like a carrot in front of a stampede of horses. Once he was safe, Carol sweetly held and kissed him like she had no intention of ever letting him go.
WILL YOU MARRY ME? | As the group headed back to their respective communities, Alden informed a young Hilltopper named Ken that another kid, Marco, wanted to learn the blacksmith trade from Kens dad, Earl. This, despite the fact that, as Marco put it, I dont think Ive ever seen the guy smile. Nearby, Ezekiel popped the question to Carol he had a ring and everything! But she refused to be proposed to at that moment. This is not happening on a horse, she said. Regardless, I love you, he replied, and I always will. (If Season 4 of Fear the Walking Dead has taught me anything, its that a little romance can go a long way toward improving what is ordinarily a pretty grim show it adds a bit of light to the darkness and raises the stakes when the inevitable occurs.) Shortly, the gang was intercepted by Rosita with a report that two herds of walkers had merged and taken down a vital bridge. On the groups alternate route home, their horses were unable to pull the trailer through a huge puddle of mud. By the time Rick & Co. had freed the wagon, they were beset by walkers, one of which bit Ken when he nobly tried to save his horse.
Back at the Hilltop that evening, Maggie broke it to Earl (John Finn) and wife Tammy (Brett Butler) that their son had been killed. Earl took the bad news quietly; Tammy, not so much. She made it abundantly clear that she blamed Maggie for Kens death, which she noted had yielded what? Supplies to help the Sanctuary, not even the Hilltop! That being the case, she didnt want Maggie at the boys funeral. I voted for you, she spat, but were not friends. She also let slip that shed been talking to Gregory or, as she put it, the guy whod always put the Hilltop first. (Uh-oh.) Following the funeral, Gregory paid a visit to the grieving parents with a bottle of whiskey. After getting Tammy soused enough to be put to bed, the weasel stayed behind with Earl, pouring a glass for the recovering alcoholic and intoxicating him with not only booze but talk that disgruntled Hilltoppers like him didnt have to put up with Maggies priorities. But shes the leader, Earl said. She doesnt have to be, replied Gregory, all but sprouting devil horns.
BLESS YOU, RICK GRIMES | Meanwhile, Rick, Michonne and Daryl delivered to the Sanctuary its share of the haul from the museum. Of note: Daryl was now in charge of the place (and hating every minute of it); it was struggling since, as Daryl put it, Nothing grows here its a damn factory, man!; and Rick was regarded by some of the Saviors as a cross between a rock star and Jesus, and others as public enemy No. 1 (as evidenced by the Saviors Save Us! We Are Still Negan! graffiti that had been popping up). During a moment alone with Rick, Daryl admitted that he no longer wanted to lead the Sanctuary and that he missed the old days. There aint no us anymore. Everyones everywhere, he said. That small group we had back in the beginning could do anything. Rick tried to explain that, well, things have changed, but Daryl wasnt in any mood to hear it. You changed em, Rick, he said. So much so that Daryl didnt want to return to Alexandria, he wanted to return to the Hilltop. (Not a surprise, but still ouch.)
Having overheard the conversation, Carol later approached Daryl to share a smoke or so he thought; she actually wanted to put his cigarette out. Those thingsll kill you, she said, adding that shed noticed he never sleeps whereas her wannabe fianc sleeps like a baby. Does he snore fancy, too? asked Daryl. He was just kidding, mind you. He was happy that Carol was happy, and she was glad I have pookies approval of the romance. Maybe Ezekiel was a little corny, she admitted. But after what I went through with Ed, corny is really nice. In the end, she offered to take over the Sanctuary for Daryl. Was she going to bring along Ezekiel and Henry? Erm, she hadnt told her beau her idea yet. But she thought it was a good one nonetheless. On one hand, she wanted to help out; on the other, she didnt want to rush their relationship.
THEY DONT WANT NEGAN, THEY WANT FOOD | While Daryl and Carol were reconnecting, Michonne went from teasing her significant other about his status as the famous Rick Grimes to engaging in some pretty heavy pillow talk. Seeing [Negans] name on the wall she mused. Sometimes I think maybe we shouldve just killed him. (A little late for that now!) Still, the visit to the museum had started a plan formulating in her brain to unify the communities: They needed to write a charter to lay out the rules of behavior, punishments, expectations, etc. It could pull people closer together, agreed Rick make an us of a larger us. So while Rick got to the work on repairing the bridge, Michonne would get started on the charter. Howd I get so lucky finding you? he whispered as they snuggled under the covers. Weve both lost enough, she replied. Its time we won a little, dont you think? And with that, it appeared that she was about to get it on with the famous Rick Grimes.
At the Hilltop, Maggie was walking cute, melon-headed baby Hershel in the moonlight when she was oh, s approached by Gregory, who might be the only thing worse than a walker a person could come across in the dark. Still being nice, the scoundrel complimented his worthy adversary, then mentioned that oh, by the way, it looked like Glenns grave had been defaced. I hope, he oozed as much as said, it wasnt that someone was angry. Immediately rushing to her husbands gravesite, Maggie was violently attacked by a hooded man. Thankfully, Hershels crying brought Enid and Alden out to help save Maggie from no big shock there Earl. Knowing full well that Gregory had put the grieving dad up to the treacherous task, Margaret made a beeline for her nemesis. You cant even murder someone right! she marveled. As if to prove her point, he then tried to stab her again, unsuccessfully!
DO YOU HAVE ANY FINAL WORDS? | The following day, as Carol put Jerry in charge of Ezekiel, she promised her boyfriend that she wasnt running away from him by remaining at the Sanctuary. Ill be content to move at your speed, Lady Carol, he responded, though the waiting is such sweet sorrow. Shortly thereafter, Rick, Michonne and Daryl arrived at the Hilltop. During a visit with Maggie, Rick expressed his desire for her to visit Alexandria though he knew very well why she couldnt. He then acknowledged that the Hilltop had given an awful lot during the rebuilding of the communities. But Im asking for more, he added food and supplies to feed the workers as they repaired the bridge. Maggie was OK with Hilltoppers working on the project if they wanted to but nixed the idea of handing over more supplies for nothing the Saviors would have to do most of the work on the bridge and send over the fuel made from their dead corn.
Rick didnt seem to have expected Maggie to draw such a hard line in the sand. But she was sticking by it. Though it was a bummer that the Sanctuary was struggling, she said, they surrendered. We didnt kill em. Thats it. While Rick picked his jaw up off the floor, Maggie reminded him that, before the war, hed told her that hed soon be following her. But you didnt, she continued, cause I wasnt someone to follow. That changes now. (Loving the tough new Maggie!) That night, the Hilltops leader ensured that all of the youngsters were tucked away, then told the gathered adults, People need to understand that at the Hilltop, the punishment fits the crime. As such, Gregory was going to be hanged! Lily-livered to the bitter end, he argued that she must be ashamed, killing him in the dead of night that way. Im not ashamed, she replied matter-of-factly. And, though Michonne tried to stop the execution as some kids had wandered out, the villain was (finally) put to death.
So, what did you think of the Season 9 premiere? Grade it in the poll below, then hit the comments.
Follow this link:
The Walking Dead Recap: Season 9 Premiere [Spoiler …
- The Walking Dead season 10 spoilers: Rick Grimes' death revealed in comic books? | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk - May 21st, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 10: 'Excited' Michael Cudlitz ... - May 18th, 2019
- The Walking Dead comics may have revealed Daryls TV death ... - May 14th, 2019
- The Walking Dead season 10: Norman Reedus shares first BTS ... - May 10th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' May Have Finally Pulled The Trigger On ... - May 7th, 2019
- Walking Dead favourite was finished with show after Negan ... - May 5th, 2019
- AMC CEO Says The Walking Dead Is Early in Its Life Cycle - May 3rd, 2019
- The Walking Dead Just Went Absolutely Off the Rails - May 2nd, 2019
- The Walking Dead season 10 spoilers: Star speaks out on ... - May 1st, 2019
- The Walking Dead season 10 will explore Danai Gurira's ... - April 30th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead's Khary Payton Expected King Ezekiel to ... - April 27th, 2019
- The Walking Dead's Danai Gurira is going to start filming ... - April 27th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 5: What We Know So Far - April 23rd, 2019
- The Walking Dead season 10 spoilers: Carol Peletier in ... - April 23rd, 2019
- The Walking Dead season 10 spoilers: Ross Marquand says ... - April 19th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Getting a New Spinoff, This One About ... - April 9th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead': Third Series Officially a Go at AMC ... - April 8th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Spinoff Greenlit at AMC: Full Story ... - April 8th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Ratings Fall To Season Finale Low; Rises ... - April 7th, 2019
- Walking Dead Season 9 Finale Is Lowest-Rated in Series ... - April 7th, 2019
- 'Walking Dead' Season 10 Whisperer War Predictions ... - April 7th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Finale Recap | TV Guide - April 4th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead's' Angela Kang talks about mysterious radio ... - April 3rd, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 16, Recap: Did Alpha ... - April 2nd, 2019
- The Walking Dead SPOILERS: Showrunner On Season 9 Finale ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Season 9 Of The Walking Dead Ends As It Began, Miraculously ... - April 2nd, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' pike deaths could have been a Red Wedding ... - March 27th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Killed Off a Bunch of Characters in Key ... - March 27th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' adds to huge death toll - March 27th, 2019
- The Walking Dead's Own Red Wedding Just Killed Off 10 Characters - March 27th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Recap: Who Died in Penultimate Episode? - March 26th, 2019
- Spoilers: Who Will Die In The Walking Dead Finale? - March 22nd, 2019
- The Walking Dead Just Showed It Doesnt Need To Kill ... - March 20th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 14 Review: 'Scars' Is A ... - March 19th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 14 Recap: Michonne and ... - March 19th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 13 Review ... - March 13th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead': Who are the Highwaymen? - INSIDER - March 12th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Recap: Season 9, Episode 13 Meet the ... - March 12th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' characters fans think will die next on the ... - March 10th, 2019
- The Walking Dead's Ryan Hurst on Beta's Arrival | TV Guide - March 7th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' May Be Finally Giving Daryl A Love ... - March 7th, 2019
- The Walking Dead's Alpha And Beta Aren't Just Villains ... - March 6th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead': How Ryan Hurst was cast as Beta - INSIDER - March 5th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 11 Bounty Review [Spoilers ... - February 27th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Drops to All-Time Low in Ratings and ... - February 26th, 2019
- Last Night Showed 'The Walking Dead' Is Doing Something ... - February 26th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9: Another Major Death Coming? - February 26th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 11 Preview: Daryl ... - February 24th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Recap: Season 9, Episode 10 Alphas ... - February 23rd, 2019
- OVERKILL's The Walking Dead on Steam - February 21st, 2019
- What Exactly Happened To Lydia In Last Night's Confusing 'The ... - February 21st, 2019
- The Walking Dead (season 9) - Wikipedia - February 14th, 2019
- Walking Dead Star Danai Gurira to Exit Series Variety - February 14th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 9 Review: An Okay ... - February 13th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 9 Recap: The Whisperers ... - February 11th, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 10: Michonne May Not Return | Collider - February 6th, 2019
- The Walking Dead season 9 spoilers: Negan's new ally REVEALED ... - February 5th, 2019
- How The Walking Dead Wrote Andrew Lincoln Off The Show - February 2nd, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Midseason Premiere on AMC Premiere ... - February 2nd, 2019
- The Walking Dead Season 9: Greg Nicotero Previews the ... - January 25th, 2019
- AMC Reveals Title and Synopsis for The Walking Dead Mid ... - January 19th, 2019
- The Walking Dead | ScreenRant - January 13th, 2019
- The Whisperers Are Watching In This New 'The Walking Dead ... - January 12th, 2019
- The Walking Dead's Alpha and Beta Are Revealed in New Teaser ... - January 11th, 2019
- The Walking Dead season 9 spoilers: Star teases MAJOR ... - January 7th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Is Getting Another 'Fear The Walking ... - January 5th, 2019
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 Events Changing The Tone - January 2nd, 2019
- This Former 'The Walking Dead' Star Has Some Harsh Words For ... - December 23rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season Will Return In January ... - December 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 8 Recap: Jesus Dies as ... - November 28th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 7 Review: 'Stradivarius' - November 25th, 2018
- Maggie's Exit From 'The Walking Dead' Is Weird, Much ... - November 21st, 2018
- The Walking Dead (Video Game) - November 20th, 2018
- The Walking Dead - Wrath: Season 8, Episode 16 - AMC - November 16th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 6 Review: A Brave New Show - November 15th, 2018
- Daryl Now Has A Dog On 'The Walking Dead' So ... - forbes.com - November 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Recap Season 9 Episode 5: Does Rick Die? - November 10th, 2018
- 'Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln ('Rick Grimes') Fate ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Trailer for Next Episodes Teases Whisperers ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero