Warning: The following contains spoilers for the Season 9 premiere of The Walking Dead. If you havent watched yet, proceed at your own risk.
So far, so good. Sunday night, The Walking Dead kicked off its ninth season and the AMC dramas first under new showrunner Angela Kang, who also wrote the episode with a fairly satisfying hour-plus that included a fateful trip to Washington, D.C., a proposal of marriage and a couple of deaths (one of which was a long time coming!). For whom did A New Beginning mark the end? Read on and find out.
I DONT LIKE SPIDERS | As the episode began, we were treated to glimpses of not only how much Alexandria had been rebuilt in the 18-month time jump that followed the Season 8 finale but also the happy home life that Rick and Michonne had established with Judith. (Adorably, the moppet insisted on painting her dad with a grumpy face and big tummy in her extended-family portrait.) Before most of our regulars convened for the aforementioned field trip to D.C., we also got a peek at the goings-on at the Sanctuary (where Daryl put the kibosh on the use of a walker as a scarecrow) and in the woods (where Aaron, perhaps laying the groundwork for a new flirtation, expressed an interest in picking up Jesus martial-arts skills). Following the super-stylish new opening credits, a large group of survivors hit the Museum of Natural History to score seeds (thanks to intel from Anne, a former teacher) and old-timey equipment that didnt run on gas, which had become almost as scarce as Internet service.
At first, the visit was kind of a lark. Though a walker grabbed Siddiq by the leg, he was really less grossed out by the zombie than he was by the spiders that appeared to have made a home of its head. And Gabriel dispatched a walker in just the right spot in front of an exhibit to make it appear that the undead were the final stage in the evolution of man. Or the de-evolution of man, as Anne put it. Cyndie bonded with Daryl over those that were no longer with them; Maggie told Carol and Michonne that, since Gregory lost the Hilltop election to her, hed been being nice (a sure sign that he was up to no good!); and, amid all their talk of democracys rebirth, Carol couldnt help but marvel at the irony of her having shacked up with a king. As for the task at hand, the group miraculously got a huge wagon down the stairs and safely across a glass floor that overlooked a level overrun with walkers. When afterwards, Ezekiel tried to cross the floor tied to a plow, he wasnt so lucky he wound up crashing through and dangling just above the zombies like a carrot in front of a stampede of horses. Once he was safe, Carol sweetly held and kissed him like she had no intention of ever letting him go.
WILL YOU MARRY ME? | As the group headed back to their respective communities, Alden informed a young Hilltopper named Ken that another kid, Marco, wanted to learn the blacksmith trade from Kens dad, Earl. This, despite the fact that, as Marco put it, I dont think Ive ever seen the guy smile. Nearby, Ezekiel popped the question to Carol he had a ring and everything! But she refused to be proposed to at that moment. This is not happening on a horse, she said. Regardless, I love you, he replied, and I always will. (If Season 4 of Fear the Walking Dead has taught me anything, its that a little romance can go a long way toward improving what is ordinarily a pretty grim show it adds a bit of light to the darkness and raises the stakes when the inevitable occurs.) Shortly, the gang was intercepted by Rosita with a report that two herds of walkers had merged and taken down a vital bridge. On the groups alternate route home, their horses were unable to pull the trailer through a huge puddle of mud. By the time Rick & Co. had freed the wagon, they were beset by walkers, one of which bit Ken when he nobly tried to save his horse.
Back at the Hilltop that evening, Maggie broke it to Earl (John Finn) and wife Tammy (Brett Butler) that their son had been killed. Earl took the bad news quietly; Tammy, not so much. She made it abundantly clear that she blamed Maggie for Kens death, which she noted had yielded what? Supplies to help the Sanctuary, not even the Hilltop! That being the case, she didnt want Maggie at the boys funeral. I voted for you, she spat, but were not friends. She also let slip that shed been talking to Gregory or, as she put it, the guy whod always put the Hilltop first. (Uh-oh.) Following the funeral, Gregory paid a visit to the grieving parents with a bottle of whiskey. After getting Tammy soused enough to be put to bed, the weasel stayed behind with Earl, pouring a glass for the recovering alcoholic and intoxicating him with not only booze but talk that disgruntled Hilltoppers like him didnt have to put up with Maggies priorities. But shes the leader, Earl said. She doesnt have to be, replied Gregory, all but sprouting devil horns.
BLESS YOU, RICK GRIMES | Meanwhile, Rick, Michonne and Daryl delivered to the Sanctuary its share of the haul from the museum. Of note: Daryl was now in charge of the place (and hating every minute of it); it was struggling since, as Daryl put it, Nothing grows here its a damn factory, man!; and Rick was regarded by some of the Saviors as a cross between a rock star and Jesus, and others as public enemy No. 1 (as evidenced by the Saviors Save Us! We Are Still Negan! graffiti that had been popping up). During a moment alone with Rick, Daryl admitted that he no longer wanted to lead the Sanctuary and that he missed the old days. There aint no us anymore. Everyones everywhere, he said. That small group we had back in the beginning could do anything. Rick tried to explain that, well, things have changed, but Daryl wasnt in any mood to hear it. You changed em, Rick, he said. So much so that Daryl didnt want to return to Alexandria, he wanted to return to the Hilltop. (Not a surprise, but still ouch.)
Having overheard the conversation, Carol later approached Daryl to share a smoke or so he thought; she actually wanted to put his cigarette out. Those thingsll kill you, she said, adding that shed noticed he never sleeps whereas her wannabe fianc sleeps like a baby. Does he snore fancy, too? asked Daryl. He was just kidding, mind you. He was happy that Carol was happy, and she was glad I have pookies approval of the romance. Maybe Ezekiel was a little corny, she admitted. But after what I went through with Ed, corny is really nice. In the end, she offered to take over the Sanctuary for Daryl. Was she going to bring along Ezekiel and Henry? Erm, she hadnt told her beau her idea yet. But she thought it was a good one nonetheless. On one hand, she wanted to help out; on the other, she didnt want to rush their relationship.
THEY DONT WANT NEGAN, THEY WANT FOOD | While Daryl and Carol were reconnecting, Michonne went from teasing her significant other about his status as the famous Rick Grimes to engaging in some pretty heavy pillow talk. Seeing [Negans] name on the wall she mused. Sometimes I think maybe we shouldve just killed him. (A little late for that now!) Still, the visit to the museum had started a plan formulating in her brain to unify the communities: They needed to write a charter to lay out the rules of behavior, punishments, expectations, etc. It could pull people closer together, agreed Rick make an us of a larger us. So while Rick got to the work on repairing the bridge, Michonne would get started on the charter. Howd I get so lucky finding you? he whispered as they snuggled under the covers. Weve both lost enough, she replied. Its time we won a little, dont you think? And with that, it appeared that she was about to get it on with the famous Rick Grimes.
At the Hilltop, Maggie was walking cute, melon-headed baby Hershel in the moonlight when she was oh, s approached by Gregory, who might be the only thing worse than a walker a person could come across in the dark. Still being nice, the scoundrel complimented his worthy adversary, then mentioned that oh, by the way, it looked like Glenns grave had been defaced. I hope, he oozed as much as said, it wasnt that someone was angry. Immediately rushing to her husbands gravesite, Maggie was violently attacked by a hooded man. Thankfully, Hershels crying brought Enid and Alden out to help save Maggie from no big shock there Earl. Knowing full well that Gregory had put the grieving dad up to the treacherous task, Margaret made a beeline for her nemesis. You cant even murder someone right! she marveled. As if to prove her point, he then tried to stab her again, unsuccessfully!
DO YOU HAVE ANY FINAL WORDS? | The following day, as Carol put Jerry in charge of Ezekiel, she promised her boyfriend that she wasnt running away from him by remaining at the Sanctuary. Ill be content to move at your speed, Lady Carol, he responded, though the waiting is such sweet sorrow. Shortly thereafter, Rick, Michonne and Daryl arrived at the Hilltop. During a visit with Maggie, Rick expressed his desire for her to visit Alexandria though he knew very well why she couldnt. He then acknowledged that the Hilltop had given an awful lot during the rebuilding of the communities. But Im asking for more, he added food and supplies to feed the workers as they repaired the bridge. Maggie was OK with Hilltoppers working on the project if they wanted to but nixed the idea of handing over more supplies for nothing the Saviors would have to do most of the work on the bridge and send over the fuel made from their dead corn.
Rick didnt seem to have expected Maggie to draw such a hard line in the sand. But she was sticking by it. Though it was a bummer that the Sanctuary was struggling, she said, they surrendered. We didnt kill em. Thats it. While Rick picked his jaw up off the floor, Maggie reminded him that, before the war, hed told her that hed soon be following her. But you didnt, she continued, cause I wasnt someone to follow. That changes now. (Loving the tough new Maggie!) That night, the Hilltops leader ensured that all of the youngsters were tucked away, then told the gathered adults, People need to understand that at the Hilltop, the punishment fits the crime. As such, Gregory was going to be hanged! Lily-livered to the bitter end, he argued that she must be ashamed, killing him in the dead of night that way. Im not ashamed, she replied matter-of-factly. And, though Michonne tried to stop the execution as some kids had wandered out, the villain was (finally) put to death.
So, what did you think of the Season 9 premiere? Grade it in the poll below, then hit the comments.
Follow this link:
The Walking Dead Recap: Season 9 Premiere [Spoiler …
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season Will Return In January ... - December 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 8 Recap: Jesus Dies as ... - November 28th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 7 Review: 'Stradivarius' - November 25th, 2018
- Maggie's Exit From 'The Walking Dead' Is Weird, Much ... - November 21st, 2018
- The Walking Dead (Video Game) - November 20th, 2018
- The Walking Dead - Wrath: Season 8, Episode 16 - AMC - November 16th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 6 Review: A Brave New Show - November 15th, 2018
- Daryl Now Has A Dog On 'The Walking Dead' So ... - forbes.com - November 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Recap Season 9 Episode 5: Does Rick Die? - November 10th, 2018
- 'Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln ('Rick Grimes') Fate ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Trailer for Next Episodes Teases Whisperers ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln to return for Rick Grimes ... - November 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Bids Farewell to Lauren Cohans Maggie ... - November 8th, 2018
- Body Bag, Walker Or Helicopter: How Will Rick Grimes Leave ... - November 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Says Goodbye to Andrew Lincoln. Sort Of ... - November 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Shocker: Future of Franchise Revealed ... - November 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead spoilers: Rick Grimes' final episode, death ... - November 3rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 4, Recap: Negan and ... - November 2nd, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead': Producers, start figuring out how to ... - November 2nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 4 "The Obliged" Recap ... - November 1st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Made Another Bizarre Mistake After Last ... - October 31st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Might've Spoiled A Twist About Rick ... - October 29th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead': Will Rick and Michonne Have a Child ... - October 26th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 3 Recap: [Spoiler ... - October 23rd, 2018
- Scott Wilson of The Walking Dead Remembered at Memorial - October 23rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season on Steam - October 23rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9: Andrew Lincoln exit in episode 6 ... - October 20th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Takes A Killer Hit As Ratings Fall To ... - October 20th, 2018
- This Was The Most Shocking Thing About 'The Walking Dead ... - October 17th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Falling Ratings Are About To Get A Whole ... - October 15th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 Premiere Addresses One Of Its ... - October 9th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Premiere's Big Death Is Finally The Right ... - October 9th, 2018
- "The Walking Dead" actor Scott Wilson dies at 76 - CBS News - October 8th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Actor Scott Wilson Dies at 76 | TMZ.com - October 7th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Norman Reedus says big deaths are coming ... - October 5th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Spoilers: Rick and Maggie Exit ... - October 2nd, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Confirms Maggie Will Leave, But Not Die ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Andrew Lincoln could be returning to The Walking Dead to ... - September 29th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Spoilers: Scott Gimple Talks ... - September 29th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Our World - September 27th, 2018
- The Walking Dead - Cast - AMC - September 25th, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead - Wikipedia - September 23rd, 2018
- A New The Walking Dead Trailer Teases The Resurrection ... - September 17th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Teaser Promises New Beginnings - September 16th, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9 spoilers: Rick Grimes exit to begin ... - September 12th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Premiere Is Getting Extended | TV Guide - September 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Is Adding a New Pet | TV Guide - September 6th, 2018
- [PHOTOS] The Walking Dead: No Negan in Season 9 ... - September 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Boss Talks Maggie As a Working Mother - September 1st, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Teaser: There's Dissension in Rick ... - August 30th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Casts Sons of Anarchy's Ryan Hurst as the ... - August 30th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Casts 'Remember the Titans' Star Ryan ... - August 28th, 2018
- The Walking Dead (season 8) - Wikipedia - August 26th, 2018
- Check Out These New Photos From 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 - August 24th, 2018
- 'Fear The Walking Dead' Season 4, Episode 9 Review: Flying ... - August 18th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan Talks Leaving Maggie Behind ... - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Negan Joining Tekken 7 as Playable ... - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: 10 big spoilers for season 9 - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9: Rick Grimes exit will be ... - August 4th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln reveals why he is leaving ... - August 1st, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead Season, Episode and Cast Information ... - August 1st, 2018
- Comic-Con 2018: The Walking Dead Season 9 -- Andrew Lincoln ... - July 25th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Casts Nadia Hilker as Magna for Season 9 ... - July 25th, 2018
- Walking Dead Creator Addresses Andrew Lincoln Series ... - July 22nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Are Carol and Ezekiel About to Romance ... - July 22nd, 2018
- New Walking Dead season 9 trailer, release date drop at ... - July 22nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Will Rick and Maggie Fight in Season 9 ... - July 21st, 2018
- Comic-Con 2018: The Walking Dead Season 9 -- What We Know ... - July 21st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Unveils Season 9 Trailer, Premiere Date ... - July 21st, 2018
- Andrew Lincoln opens up about leaving "The Walking Dead ... - July 21st, 2018
- 7 Lingering The Walking Dead Mysteries We Need Solved ... - July 21st, 2018
- The Walking Dead: See Norman Reedus in season 9 first look ... - July 15th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Season 8, Episode 1 - AMC - July 13th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season, Episode and Cast Information - AMC - July 9th, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead: How to Watch - Today's News: Our ... - July 9th, 2018
- The Walking Dead spoilers: Rick faces new threats in Season 9 - July 3rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Chandler Riggs Reacts To Andrew Lincoln ... - July 3rd, 2018
- Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Vol. 18 (8601200668568 ... - July 2nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Is Shane Returning for Season 9? - Today ... - June 22nd, 2018
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero