Few horror movie subgenres have found as big a following as the zombie film. Something about the publics fascination with death and the fantasy of starting the world anew in a post-apocalyptic wasteland has made zombie stories universally adored. The highest rated drama series on TV is a zombie show. Brad Pitt made a zombie movie in 2013 that grossed over $500 million at the worldwide box office.
As with any genre, there are plenty of terrible zombie movies. But if the undead are used for sociopolitical commentary and the film is replete with all the frights and thrills that it can be and the audience cares about the characters, then it can result in a real masterpiece. So, before a virus turns us into flesh-eating monsters, here are the 10 Best Zombie Movies Of All Time.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view
Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, the writers behind the Deadpool movies, spent years developing ideas and concepts and gags for their zombie comedy before finally writing the screenplay. It was developed as a TV series before being turned into a movie, which meant that it was jam-packed with world-building.
100 episodes worth of material was squeezed into an hour and a half and it resulted in the highest grossing zombie movie in the United States (at the time). Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, and Emma Stone lead a terrific cast. A sequel, Zombieland: Double Tap, is set for release later this year, which will mark the 10th anniversary of the original movie.
Fred Dekkers gleefully satirical homage to B-movies isnt just a zombie movie, but it does feature an invasion of the undead. Essentially, Dekker took every hacky or clichd situation hed seen in zombie movies, alien invasion movies, and slasher movies, and then crammed them into a delightfully absurd and hilarious screenplay that he wrote in less than a week.
The characters names are all taken from legendary horror directors Carpenter, Romero, Raimi, Cameron, Cronenberg, Landis. This may be the greatest cinematic homage ever made a postmodern joy. It is the quintessential cult film. It was made to be a cult film.
Director Danny Boyle denies that this is a zombie film, but it is, so it gets a mention. Cillian Murphy wakes up weeks after he went under the knife for what was supposed to be a routine surgery and finds the streets empty and ravaged. It doesnt take him long to realize a virus has spread that turned people into zombies and only a few survivors remain.
Its been a survival of the fittest type situation, with only the strongest and most competent people making it this far, but Cillian Murphys Jim isnt necessarily a good survivor he just happened to be unconscious for the first month of the apocalypse. So, hes our ticket into the post-apocalyptic world as an audience. Its a fish-out-of-water story, which is a great way to jump right in and catch the audience up.
Director and writer Stuart Gordon saw all the Dracula-esque movies that came around in the 80s to modernize the vampire genre and make it cool Fright Night, The Lost Boys etc. and decided to do the same for the Frankenstein story. The end result was this weird, gory, messed-up Lovecraftian tale of reanimated severed heads and sexual abuse.
One of the movies greatest assets is its musical score, composed by the great Richard Band in the style of Bernard Herrmanns unnerving score for Psycho. Whether you think Re-Animator is any good or not, you cant deny that its a dark, twisted, and very unique piece of work.
This South Korean zombie flick presents itself less as a horror film and more like an action movie. The zombies dont dawdle like Romero-era flesh-eaters do they can sprint and jump, which makes them even scarier. Either way, its an intense and visceral moviegoing experience as a father and his estranged daughter find themselves caught in the middle of a zombie uprising while taking a train across the country.
The passengers all turn against each other and the movie becomes a study of class. There are also themes of guilt as certain characters realize they were directly involved in the accidental release of the virus.
Theyre coming to get you, Barbara! George A. Romeros Night of the Living Dead was the first ever modern zombie film, so it can be forgiven for not being perfect. It certainly succeeds at being one of the most innovative and groundbreaking horror films ever made.
The dead rise from their graves and start eating and infecting the living, so an eclectic bunch of survivors end up locking themselves away in someones farm, only to find that the living mightmake for even worse enemies to them than the undead. This is a formula thats been repeated by countless movies and TV shows since. How many films can that be said for?
Amistake that a lot of zombie moviesmake is trying to show the zombie apocalypse on an epic scale. The filmmakers bite off more than they can chew (so to speak) as they attempt to depict a virus spreading across an entire country or the world! turning people into flesh-eating mutants. But found-footage tale REC keeps things refreshingly intimate and realistic.
A TV journalist and her camera crew find themselves quarantined in an apartment building as a zombie virus slowly spreads among the small cast of characters. The sprinting undead mixed with the shaky camera movements make this a petrifying work of horror cinema.
The closest thing ever made to a zombie movie for kids that captures the terror and fun of zombie movies for adults, ParaNorman is a stop-motion horror comedy adventure produced by the good people at Laika. Laika may not be as big as Pixar or DreamWorks yet, but it is quietly becoming one of the most inventive voices in animation.
With stars like Jeff Garlin and Leslie Mann and Casey Affleck in the voice cast, the movie can be enjoyed by adults as well as kids. Its fun for the whole family! Thats not something that can be said of many zombie movies.
The first installment of Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wrights Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy might also be the strongest. It certainly has the tightest script, which doesnt waste a single line either developing the plot or developing the characters, and always very funny and uses every literary device in the book, including one inspired foreshadowing scene that lays out the whole plot of the movie early on.
Shaun of the Dead isnt a spoof of the zombie genre its a zombie movie that affectionately homages every trope of the zombie genre and also happens to be hilarious. But its also an emotional ride with a genuine investment in its characters and their relationships.
George A. Romero defined the modern zombie with his 1968 masterpiece Night of the Living Dead, but it wouldnt be until a decade later, in 1978, that he perfected the zombie movie with the sequel Dawn of the Dead. Whereas the first movie had commented on racism, this one tackled consumerism in a satirical fashion. The survivors end up holing up in a shopping mall that is quickly swarmed with the undead.
Romeros point is that were already mindless zombies flocking to the mall. Its more relevant than ever today with everyone plugged into AirPods and iPads and cell phones. But this would all be meaningless if it wasnt frightening, tightly plotted, engaging, and filled with characters you care about luckily, it succeeds on all counts.
Tags:shaun of the dead,28 days later,dawn of the dead
- Grindhouse (film) - Wikipedia - March 12th, 2019
- Top 10 Modern Zombie Movies - ThoughtCo - March 5th, 2019
- 33 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century | Page 2 of 3 ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Top 10 Ultimate Best Zombie Games To Play in 2019 - February 8th, 2019
- My Top Ten - Blogger - February 5th, 2019
- Top 10 Zombie Anime List [Best Recommendations] - January 30th, 2019
- Thriller Bark | One Piece Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- All-Time Top Box-Office Films By Decade and Year - January 23rd, 2019
- Zombie | One Piece Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 23rd, 2019
- Top 10 Movie Quotes - The Best Movies in Cinematic History - January 23rd, 2019
- White Zombie (1932) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 8th, 2018
- 10 Great Zombie Movies Youve Probably Never Seen Taste ... - November 24th, 2018
- 32 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century | Cultured Vultures - November 18th, 2018
- H2: Halloween II (2009) - Rotten Tomatoes: Movies - November 14th, 2018
- Top Ten Zombie Movies - deluxevideoonline.org - October 29th, 2018
- List of best Korean movies - October 12th, 2018
- Top 10 Zombie Movies CInema Spotlight - October 9th, 2018
- TOP 10 best new Zombie movies 2018 - List - WhenIsMovie.com - September 18th, 2018
- Zombie Honeymoon (2004) - Rotten Tomatoes - August 29th, 2018
- L.A. Zombie (2011) - Rotten Tomatoes - August 17th, 2018
- The Top 10 Zombie Films of All Time! - Bloody Disgusting - July 25th, 2018
- The 21 Best Zombie Movies of All Time | Collider - July 19th, 2018
- Zombie Honeymoon (2004) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Top 10 Mistakes People Make In Zombie Movies - June 30th, 2018
- Top 10 Zombie Parasites - Toptenz.net - June 27th, 2018
- The Best Zombie Movies of All Time | List of Greatest ... - October 18th, 2017
- Top 10 Zombie Movies From Youtube - Harryowlhead - October 13th, 2017
- TIFF 2017: New Clip from The Cured Wonders if Zombies Deserve a Second Chance - Dread Central - September 7th, 2017
- Why triple-A devs are going indie (and why indies aren't going triple-A) - VentureBeat - September 7th, 2017
- 25 insane on-screen deaths from the last 25 years - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' Still Holds Labor Day Box Office Record - Bloody Disgusting - September 6th, 2017
- Ten years later, 'Sunshine' remains one of the bleakest and most beautiful sci-fi movies ever made - TechCrunch - September 6th, 2017
- 25 of the most terrifying sci-fi monsters in the past 25 years - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- Top 10: Zombie Movies - AskMen - September 3rd, 2017
- The 25 most visionary visionaries of the last 25 years - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Jackals Exclusive Interview with Writer Jared Rivet - Dread Central - September 1st, 2017
- Five Zombies Scarier Than The Walking Dead's - DeathRattleSports.com - August 28th, 2017
- Frightfest 2017: It Stains the Sand Red Review: Dir. Colin Minihan - The Hollywood News (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- West Virginia Penitentiary looms in gothic heritage - Parkersburg News - August 25th, 2017
- Movie notes: 'Blade Runner' returns to theaters for one night | GO ... - Omaha World-Herald - August 24th, 2017
- 'Dead Snow 3' is Happening and Will Feature Zombie Hitler - Bloody Disgusting - August 22nd, 2017
- 178 movie sequels currently in the works - Den of Geek US - August 17th, 2017
- The Best Horror Films of 2017 (So Far) - Vulture - June 30th, 2017
- 10 Best Horror Movies Ever - Newser - June 21st, 2017
- Our Top 10 Picks From The 2017 Sydney Film Festival Program - Junkee - May 28th, 2017
- 10 Linnea Quigley movies to watch while you celebrate her birthday - Blastr - May 27th, 2017
- 10 Things to Do - Crain's Chicago Business - May 24th, 2017
- Symptoms of zantac when used infants - Zantac stop smoking - Zantac for infants side effects - The Independent News - May 21st, 2017
- What's new & noteworthy on DVD & Blu-ray May 16, 2017 - Albany Times Union (blog) - May 17th, 2017
- Snatched Director Jonathan Levine On The Amy Schumer-Goldie Hawn Comedy - LRM Online (press release) (blog) - May 10th, 2017
- 10 Movies With the Most Sad and Depressing Endings - The Cheat Sheet - May 7th, 2017
- Top Ten Illuminati Movies | Illuminati Rex - April 28th, 2017
- Five Stephen King Stories That Need to Be Movies - JoBlo.com - April 11th, 2017
- Top 10 Horror Movie Islands! - JoBlo.com - March 11th, 2017
- Obese student shed TEN STONE when her college crush rejected her for being fat but now he wants her back - The Sun - March 9th, 2017
- The Weekend Warrior 2/3/17: Rings, The Space Between Us, The Comedian - LRM Online (press release) (blog) - February 7th, 2017
- Top 400 Prison Movies - Prisonmovies.net - December 7th, 2016
- Movies News - MTV - November 7th, 2016
- Top Ten Sniper Movies list - Listal - September 28th, 2015
- Top 10 Worst Movie Quotes - Filmsite.org - September 9th, 2015
- 10 Best Prison Movies | The Movie Gourmet - September 7th, 2015
- Top 10 Most Famous Movie Quotes - Filmsite.org - July 8th, 2015
- 10 Best Drug Movies | The Movie Gourmet - May 22nd, 2015
- Greatest Films - The Best Movies in Cinematic History - May 22nd, 2015
- SHOULD WE SAVE HER? - The Walking Dead: Season 2 Episode 4 - Part 2 - Video - July 30th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Comic Con Panel: Beth's Growth & Season 5, Daryl's Growth, Carl's Evolution - Video - July 30th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 4 [Blind] W/ Commentary P.7 - FINAL - I KNEW IT! - Video - July 30th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Comic Con Panel: Chandler Getting In Character & Lori's Death, Andrew's Preperation - Video - July 30th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Trailer - After Video - Video - July 30th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Comic Con Panel: More Similar To Comic, Locations, Inspirations from Comic - Video - July 30th, 2014
- HORROR3 + HHN | The Walking Dead | 2014 - Video - July 30th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Slot Machine Bonus-MAJOR Win! - Video - July 30th, 2014
- It's Raining Men! - The Walking Dead Edition - Video - July 7th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 3 - Save The Last One - Throwback Review! - Video - July 7th, 2014
- Rick's Progression Through 'The Walking Dead' - Video - July 7th, 2014
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Ep. 1 Part 7 - Video - July 7th, 2014
- Cool Top Ten Zombie Movies count down I found! Link below! - Video - November 16th, 2012
- Top Ten Zombie Movies For LIFE - TOP TEN ZOMBIE MOVIES! - Video - November 16th, 2012
- Top 10 Zombie Movies All Time Top Ten Zombie Movies - Video - November 11th, 2012
- The Walking Dead on AMC: Top Ten Zombie Movies - Video - October 31st, 2012
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero