A recently discovered mutation is helping fill in some of the missing details on a painful disease that some believe explains the mythical creatures of darkness vampires.
Knowing which genes can give rise to a blood condition known as porphyriacould offer clues on how to treat its symptoms or even prevent it from developing in the first place, helping those who are otherwise forced to spend their lives out of the reach of sunlight.
Porphyria describes a range of medical conditions defined by an interruption to the production of haemoglobin the chemical that gives red blood cells their rich crimson hue and carries oxygen around the body.
Depending on where the production process is interrupted, there can be any number of different symptoms.
One famous sufferer was the “mad” British monarch, King George III, whose acute intermittent porphyria was responsible for his debilitating bouts of abdominal pain and difficulty urinating, if not his poor mental health.
Those witherythropoietic protoporphyria(EPP)also suffer pain, but for rather different reasons their skin blisters when exposed to sunlight.
Many of the missing steps in the haemoglobin production process have already been traced to specific genes, but there are still cases of the condition which lack a clear genetic cause.
Researchers from the Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Centre have added one more mutation to the books with the discovery of a broken gene that usually plays a key role in changing the structure of proteins in the cell’s mitochondria.
“This newly-discovered mutation really highlights the complex genetic network that underpins haem metabolism,” says researcher Barry Paw.
Haem is made up of a charged iron atom planted in the middle of a circular organic molecule called a porphyrin. The molecule is produced through a chain of steps involving a sequence of enzymes.
In most people with EPP, an enzyme calledferrochelataseis faulty, meaning they can’t take the final step in haem’s construction.
But it’s now clear some with the condition have a deficiency at the front of the production line. A gene labelled ClpX kicks off the production ofhaemby activating an important enzyme called -aminolevulinate synthase (ALAS).
At least one working copy of ClpXcould be just enough to give red blood cells some of the haemoglobin necessary to cart oxygen around the body.But just one isn’t enough to keep up to speed, leaving plenty of porphyrin components to pile up in red blood cells.
One such component, protoporphrin IX, has a rather nasty characteristic as it comes close to the skin. It easily soaks up light energy, which it then passes onto oxygen to create what are called reactive oxygen species.
En masse, these can really mess things up by destroying cell structures.Cell damage in those with elevated protoporphrin IX levels leaves them with unsightly, painful skin blisters – a symptom of porphyria.
To avoid suffering the consequences of this photosensitivity, those with the disease tend to either cover up or avoid going near bright light altogether. They also receive frequent blood transfusions to help clear the protoporphrin build-up and treat the aenemia.
Add to that the fact they’re already barely making enough haemoglobin to begin with and some darkly familiar characteristics start to emerge.
“People with EPP are chronically anemic, which makes them feel very tired and look very pale with increased photosensitivity because they can’t come out in the daylight,” says Paw.
“Even on a cloudy day, there’s enough ultraviolet light to cause blistering and disfigurement of the exposed body parts, ears and nose.”
Undead bloodsuckers are no doubt relics of ancient folktales, but medical historians have speculated that those with pale skin that blisters on exposure to sunlight could have helped inspire historical legends of vampires and werewolves.
Whether or not there is any truth to the suggestion, there’s little doubt that those with the condition have long suffered both the stigma of disease and the discomfort of its symptoms.
“Although vampires aren’t real, there is a real need for innovative therapies to improve the lives of people with porphyrias,” says Paw.
Currently those with EPP have few options, aside from reducing the severity of symptoms by managing their lifestyle.
One day gene therapy could lead to a better way to treat these kinds of conditions. Which makes studies like this one all the more important.
This research was published in PNAS.
- Vampire - Monsters - D&D Beyond - January 9th, 2019
- Vampire | Vampire Knight Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 13th, 2018
- Vampire | Warhammer Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
- The Sun for the Vampire - Play it now at Coolmath-Games.com - November 10th, 2018
- The Vampire (1957) - IMDb - November 2nd, 2018
- The 50 Best Vampire Movies of All Time - CRAVE - October 31st, 2018
- Vampire - MTG Wiki - October 5th, 2018
- Vampire Rave is for Real Vampires - September 24th, 2018
- Caroline Forbes | The Vampire Diaries Wiki | FANDOM ... - September 18th, 2018
- Spike | Buffyverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 18th, 2018
- Welcome - Camping Vampire Bran - September 7th, 2018
- Vampire (WOD) | White Wolf | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 13th, 2018
- Vampire films - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2018
- Clan | Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Wiki | FANDOM ... - July 30th, 2018
- Vampire | Charmed | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 5th, 2018
- Vampire Facelift | Reviews - June 29th, 2018
- Vampire | D&D 5th Edition on Roll20 Compendium - June 18th, 2018
- Real / Living Vampire Glossary of Terminology - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Twilight vampire sheds his heartthrob image - Helena Independent Record - September 7th, 2017
- 'Vampire Diaries' actor Michael Malarkey debuts haunting new album, 'Mongrels'exclusive - Alternative Press - September 7th, 2017
- Are vampires real, do they really drink human blood and how many ... - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig is apparently making an anime for ... - AV Club - September 6th, 2017
- Ex-Vampire Weekender Rostam Batmanglij Finds Fresh Ways to Subvert Pop - L.A. Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Rostam Finds His Own Voice On The Tender New Single 'Half-Light' - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig announces an anime series for Netflix - The Daily Dot - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire - Manga - MyAnimeList.net - September 6th, 2017
- Joe Arpaio is a vampire that feeds on Mexicans (AKA Tlahuelpuchi) - Oaklandpostonline - September 6th, 2017
- A homeless wannabe vampire ripped off a pigeon's head and chugged its blood - Rare.us - September 2nd, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Spreads Positive Messages About Beauty On Social ... - moviepilot.com - September 2nd, 2017
- A break from the usual bloodsuckers - Harvard Gazette - September 2nd, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries' Penelope Mitchell Joins Hellboy Reboot - Dread Central - September 1st, 2017
- Harvard Film Archive to host vampire movie marathon over Labor Day weekend - The Boston Globe - September 1st, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the mullets of The Lost Boys - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Homeless man claiming to be vampire rips pigeon's head off, drinks blood in Bryant Park - New York Daily News - August 31st, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Former Mastermind Rostam Batmanglij is Flying Solo - Out Magazine - August 31st, 2017
- Maniac beheads pigeons, drinks their blood in crowded park - New York Post - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy Reboot Casts Vampire Diaries Alum Penelope Mitchell - CBR (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy adds The Vampire Diaries actress Penelope Mitchell - Yahoo Movies UK - August 31st, 2017
- Como jugar blackjack en casa - Vampire weekend casino de paris - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire Diaries' star Nina Dobrev gets candid on going makeup-free, current politic climate: 'It scares me' - Fox News - August 28th, 2017
- Is Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' a Vampire Movie? - Bloody Disgusting - August 26th, 2017
- Star Trek Writers to Adapt A People's History of the Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek US - August 24th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the many, many pants of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Just Had A Low-Key "Vampire Diaries" Reunion - TeenVogue.com - August 24th, 2017
- This New Podcast About Melbourne's Vampire Gigolo Murder Will Make You Question Everything - Triple M - August 24th, 2017
- My Pretty Vampire's Cartoonish Violence - The Portland Mercury - August 24th, 2017
- "Vampire Princess Miyu" Character Designer's Lithograph Exhibition Coming This Fall - Crunchyroll News - August 24th, 2017
- Matthew Goode to Play Lead Vampire in 'A Discovery of Witches' - Anglophenia - August 24th, 2017
- JD Payne & Patrick McKay Bite Into Fox & 21 Laps' 'A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising' - Deadline - August 22nd, 2017
- Suck city: Movie brings old vampire to New York Brooklyn Daily - Brooklyn Daily - August 22nd, 2017
- Vampire Diaries Ian Somerhalder gushes over wife Nikki after giving birth - Her.ie - August 22nd, 2017
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Creator Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife Blasts Him For Cheating Throughout Their 16-Year Marriage - Bravo (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Marshfield 'vampire killer' loses suit against Parole Board - The Patriot Ledger - August 20th, 2017
- University's vampire expert faces employment tribunal after 'he tasted a female student's blood' - The Sun - August 20th, 2017
- New 'Firefly,' 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Collectible Box Sets Announced - Geeks of Doom - August 19th, 2017
- Nina Dobrev explains why she left 'Vampire Diaries' - ABC News - August 17th, 2017
- 'Carmilla' Takes a Bite Out of Period Vampire Lore - Bloody Disgusting - August 17th, 2017
- Kate Beckinsale not a vampire this time (but, oh, those leather pants) - Sentinel & Enterprise - August 17th, 2017
- Vampire Vs. Climate Change Deniers Dark Fang - Comics Beat - August 17th, 2017
- 'The Vampire Diaries' new spinoff series now in talks, The CW president reveals - Blasting News - August 17th, 2017
- [Review Repost] Michael O'Shea's 'The Transfiguration' is a Refreshing and Moving Vampire Tale - Bloody Disgusting - August 16th, 2017
- A Vampire's Fight Against Global Warming & Oil Industry In IMAGE's DARK FANG - Newsarama - August 16th, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries boss to direct episode of Riverdale - EW.com (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Vampire Comedy 'Bite Me': A Love Song to the Weirdos - IndieWire - August 13th, 2017
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon and brunch happening in Glasgow tomorrow - Glasgow Live - August 13th, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries actor Ian Somerhalder and wife Nikki Reed blessed with a baby girl - India Today - August 11th, 2017
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder & Nikki Reed enjoy new daughter privately - Blasting News - August 11th, 2017
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer at 25: Where Is the Cast Now? - Parade - August 11th, 2017
- FREE VAMPIRE XXX VIDEOS & VAMP SEX TUBE MOVIES - August 11th, 2017
- James Marsters explains why 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is this generation's 'Star Trek' - Metro US - August 10th, 2017
- Demon Hunter Sounds Like Vampire Hunter DWith Some Caveats - Dread Central - August 10th, 2017
- Katie Skelly Combines Cute Art with Sexy Horror in My Pretty Vampire - CBR (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Fox retooling high-concept vampire pilot The Passage for Fall 2018 - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Sorry Fellas, But 'Vampire Diaries' Star Nina Dobrev Is Dating Someone and He's Super Cute! - Life & Style Weekly - August 8th, 2017
- Rostam Talks 'Launching a Whole Universe' With New Solo LP - RollingStone.com - August 8th, 2017
- Broken hand and dislocated elbow puts paid to The Vampire's MMA Bantamweight title bid - New Straits Times Online - August 6th, 2017
- First Look at Vampire Comedy Vidar the Vampire - Dread Central - August 4th, 2017
- Vampire Diaries Fans Are Getting ANOTHER Spin-Off - Hit 107 - August 4th, 2017
- 5 things to know, and when you can visit Vampire Penguin in Granite Bay - Sacramento Business Journal - August 4th, 2017
- 'The Lost Boys,' Found: How a Teen Vampire Movie Rose From the Dead To Become a Cult Classic - Decider - August 3rd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero