Updated 12 hours ago
Alice Cooper’s major heyday may have been back in the 1970s, when tours behind albums like “Billion Dollar Babies” were breaking Rolling Stones concert attendance records, but the man born Vincent Damon Furnier is still creatively vibrant four decades later.
July saw the release of the Bob Ezrin-produced “Paranormal,” the duo’s first collaboration since 2011’s “Welcome 2 My Nightmare.” Like its predecessor, the new project is a star-studded affair that features cameos by the likes of U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr., ZZ Top guitarist Billy Gibbons and Deep Purple bassist Roger Glover.
For Cooper, the odd array of unlikely guests played into the notion he and Ezrin had about not wanting these songs to be united by a singular concept.
“Bob and I decided we were going to make an album that didn’t necessarily have a story line this time, but an album that got us off,” he says. “Every song is a song that we would go, ‘Yes, that’s a great song.’ And they don’t necessarily conform to any style. Alice Cooper is always going to do guitar rock. That’s always what I do. But, the styles kind of go all over the place, which is great.
“Using Larry Mullen Jr. from U2 on drums was a great idea,” Cooper says. “When we got to the studio, he asked to see the lyrics. I’ve never ever had a drummer ask me about the lyrics, and he said he plays to the lyrics, and I said that I loved that. It turned it into something totally different and totally not what I was expecting, yet it works all the way. You hear the whole album and it gives it a different punch to it.”
Most interesting was a reunion of the surviving members of the original Alice Cooper lineup of bassist Dennis Dunaway, drummer Neal Smith and guitarist Michael Bruce (guitarist Glen Buxton died in 1997).
Those four musicians played on the albums that made Cooper one of the biggest stars of the 1970s and are widely considered artistic high points of his career “Killer,” released in 1971, followed by 1972’s “School’s Out” and 1973’s “Billion Dollar Babies.”
By the time Cooper decided that he wanted to make what became 1975’s “Welcome To My Nightmare,” bandmates Buxton, Dunaway, Smith and Bruce had decided the wear and tear from multiple platinum albums, relentless touring and being together nonstop all through high school and college added up to massive burnout.
But while the breakup was mutually agreed upon, Cooper pointed out that the friendship the former bandmates maintained over the years helped facilitate this mini-reunion. Three of 20 songs the reunited bandmates worked on made the cut, which Cooper was elated about.
“We never broke up with any bad blood. Dennis, Neal, Mike, Glen and I were all best of friends. There were no lawsuits. Nobody ever threatened anybody,” Cooper says. “I stayed in touch with everybody. That band never got back together. Glen passed away. He was our Keith Richards. That was a huge part of the personality of that band. When that happened, that weakened the base even further. But, we always stayed together.
“We worked together (on the new material), and there was never one minute where I asked who was going to play on it,” he says. “We had Neal, Mike and Dennis to play on these songs and Bob absolutely agreed. They came in and nailed it. We’re very objective about it and these three songs were the ones that were good enough to make this album. I was really happy about it.”
With all this under his belt, the 69-year-old rocker continues to enjoy performing live, and he’s looking forward to a late-summer run with fellow Rock & Roll Hall of Fame act Deep Purple. It’s a bill he’s convinced will leave attendees satisfied.
“I kind of like the idea of two classic rock bands playing together. I think it’s really cool for the fans,” he says. “Every single song that you hear on that stage is something that you heard on the radio. And that’s really a plus for the audience. We did that with Motley Crue (which was in Pittsburgh in 2014), and when we did that with them, it was really successful. We sold out every venue.”
Once his own touring commitments are fulfilled, there’s also a chance Cooper may pop up as part of his celebrated side band, the Hollywood Vampires, a group that also features Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry and actor/guitarist/recording artist Johnny Depp.
The group released its first album in 2015. Along with a pair of originals, it includes songs from musicians who have since passed away.
Covers on the guest-filled Hollywood Vampires album included “My Generation” (by the Who), “Jump Into The Fire” (by Nilsson), as well as tunes by Jimi Hendrix (“Manic Depression”), Spirit (“I Got A Line On You”) and the Doors (“Five To One/Break On Through”). Several guest musicians pop up as well, most notably Paul McCartney, who is featured on a version of “Come and Get It” (a song he wrote for Badfinger).
Cooper says despite having a name like Hollywood Vampires, that group’s shows will be nothing like his own highly theatrical, horror-themed concerts.
“The cool thing about the Vampires is it’s a totally opposite thing than my show, than the Alice Cooper show,” he says. “I don’t think about theatrics when I think about the Vampires. It’s basically, when we put it together, all of us started out as bar bands. We all started out learning the Kinks, the Rolling Stones, the Who and Chuck Berry and Paul Butterfield, all the stuff we learned from, the Beatles. We said that’s basically what we are.”
Dave Gil de Rubio is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.
- Vampires | Supernatural Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 14th, 2019
- The Hollywood Vampires - Wikipedia - January 30th, 2019
- Vampires, Witches, and Aliens: Televisions ... - reason.com - January 17th, 2019
- Vampires | Adventure Time Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 25th, 2018
- Vampire Facts - Top 10 Facts about Vampires | Facts.net - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires The Official John Carpenter - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires | The Shadowhunters' Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 16th, 2018
- Vampire | Vampedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 12th, 2018
- Edward Cullen | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 28th, 2018
- Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires): Chloe Neill ... - September 28th, 2018
- Vampires | Legacy of Kain Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 5th, 2018
- Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry ... - August 19th, 2018
- Vampire | Monster Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 8th, 2018
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories (Vintage ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Lesbian Vampires - Gothic Vampires Biting During Sex ... - July 18th, 2018
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Best Sellers in Vampire Romances - amazon.com - June 28th, 2018
- 5 Real Signs That Vampires Actually Exist - YouTube - June 27th, 2018
- Vampires may have been REAL people suffering this blood disorder, experts reveal - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires May Have Been Real People - kgw.com - September 7th, 2017
- Metro Science: How itching works, the real vampires, and sound smart with neuroscience - MetroNews Canada - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires Are Sex Gods - TV Tropes - September 6th, 2017
- JUST HUMOR ME: Babysitting for vampires - Montgomery Newspapers - September 6th, 2017
- Stay energized: Be aware of the energy vampires that are out there ... - The Southern - September 3rd, 2017
- Rip-Off Alert: 'Financial vampires' target elderly for home renovation scams - News3LV - September 1st, 2017
- Eat Locals review Jason Flemyng's bickering vampires feast on absurdity - The Guardian - August 31st, 2017
- What's New on Hulu: September 2017 - Vulture - August 31st, 2017
- Watch Jason Isbell's 'If We Were Vampires' Music Video - The Boot - The Boot (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire' victim is crazy and a devil worshipper, says accused - Independent Online - August 29th, 2017
- Psychology professor who researchers "vampires" reportedly caught licking student's blood in class - Boing Boing - August 28th, 2017
- Star Trek writers to adapt A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek UK - August 25th, 2017
- LETTER: Universities acting like vampires on Bath housing market - Bath Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- SLAYERS AND VAMPIRES the untold, unauthorised, uncensored history of the making of BUFFY and ANGEL ... - The Fan Carpet - August 24th, 2017
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Writers Penning 'A People's History of the ... - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2017
- Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode to play a vampire in TV adaptation of A Discovery of Witches - Radio Times - August 24th, 2017
- Fable Cry's Upcoming Album is a Concept Album About Bootlegging Blood For Vampires - Dread Central - August 22nd, 2017
- Review: Dracula: Vampires vs. Zombies - VRFocus - August 19th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: The Lost Boys' glitter blood - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- What's on TV Tuesday: Iranian Vampires and Scientologists - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Puzzle Piece: Vampires and Prostitutes Gone Wild in 'Preacher' - Film School Rejects - August 16th, 2017
- Johnny Depp Quitting Hollywood Vampires Rock Band? - Gossip Cop - August 16th, 2017
- Once bitten, twice shy Vampires: Lucas Rising lacks a little bite - Out In Jersey - August 14th, 2017
- Ian Somerhalder talks fangs and vampires at Boston Comic Con ... - The Boston Globe - August 14th, 2017
- Book review: Chasing Norwegian vampires in 'The Thirst' - Florida Times-Union - August 13th, 2017
- Visit Highgate Cemetery: Home to magicians, vampires & George Michael - The National Student - August 13th, 2017
- 'If We Were Vampires': Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit Debut Music Video - Wide Open Country - August 12th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's Gorgeous, Animated 'If We Were Vampires' Video - RollingStone.com - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrity Big Brother's Trisha Paytas is convinced that vampires are real - and that they have their own secret society - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's moving, animated new 'If We Were Vampires' video - EW.com (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Season 1, Episode 3 Recap: Magic & Science - Refinery29 - August 8th, 2017
- Trump Watch: Vampires, Yusopov and The Zeitgeist - The London Economic - August 7th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas: The Vampire Lemuel - FlickDirect - August 7th, 2017
- The important lessons: Why Hitler considered himself a wolf and his enemies vampires - National Post - August 6th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Townies Give Manfred a Chilling Vampire Education Watch - TVLine - August 4th, 2017
- Microbial Vampires Shrink from Light - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Owner denies vampires dwell in Baroque-style mansion in Taoyuan - Taiwan News - August 2nd, 2017
- The Lost Boys Turns 30: 80s Punk Rock Vampires Need A Comeback - Monkeys Fighting Robots (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Grunge/Glam Queens Sharkmuffin Turn Into Vampires; Announce US Tour Dates - Broadway World - August 2nd, 2017
- Editorial: These woodland vampires can host scary diseases | OUR ... - Richmond.com - July 31st, 2017
- Flavio Fianello Named New Guitarist For Theatres Des Vampires - Metal Underground - July 31st, 2017
- The disturbing world of real life vampires - Metro - July 30th, 2017
- The Lost Boys at 30: sexy vampires, onset raving, and the making of the most Eighties movie ever - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- How To Tame Your Home's Energy Vampires - Texas Monthly - July 30th, 2017
- Narayani Shastri: Those who find naagin concept regressive, watch shows on vampires - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- The Strain was supposed to be FX's Walking Dead. What happened? - Vox - July 30th, 2017
- 'Midnight, Texas': How the Author Behind 'True Blood' Rewrote Her Own Vampire Rules to Create a More Tolerant World - IndieWire - July 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper Talks What's Next for Hollywood Vampires - WROR - WROR - July 30th, 2017
- Guest Post: Author Lee Markham on Why The Truants Isn't 'Just' a Vampire Story - Dread Central - July 11th, 2017
- Vampires aren't always bad in Vampyr - Gamereactor UK - Gamereactor UK - July 11th, 2017
- Seton Hill faculty co-curate academic conference for International Vampire Film and Arts Festival in Romania - Tribune-Review - July 8th, 2017
- Watch Vampires Stalk Their Prey in SG Lewis and Toulouse's "Times We Had" Video - PigeonsAndPlanes - July 6th, 2017
- Glastonbury: Johnny Depp could yet return to the festival with his ... - Somerset Live - July 2nd, 2017
- Alice Cooper 'Would Never Even Think of Retiring,' Already Writing New Hollywood Vampires Album - Loudwire - July 1st, 2017
- Hitler Used Werewolves, Vampires, and Astrology to Brainwash Germany - VICE - June 30th, 2017
- Novelist Sara Dobie Bauer makes vampire angst a laughing matter - Toledo City Paper - June 30th, 2017
- Sexual vampires? Tale of jinxed devastatingly beautiful Kikuyu women whose husbands die mysteriously - The Standard - June 30th, 2017
- Vampires and Raven sign up for high-flying Clacton Airshow - Gazette - June 29th, 2017
- These Three Movies Will Help You Understand the Republican Health Care Bill - Slate Magazine (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Vampires' lure donors in 'Transylvania-themed' blood donation drive - Coconuts - June 29th, 2017
- Santa Cruz's vampire past - The Mercury News - June 27th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero