Vampires”Vorador’s pantry! A vampire’s feast! Like cattle awaiting slaughter, men and women dangled from the rusted hooks upon the dungeon walls, blood and viscera frosted the dirt and stone. The abundance nearly overwhelmed me. For blood is the life…”Kain Listen (file info)[src]
Vampires were, alongside the humans and the Hylden, one of the three sapient races dominant in Nosgoth. Though the original, Ancient Vampires were a species in their own right, the term “vampire” eventually came to refer to any individual afflicted with the blood curse, irrespective of birth. Vampirism comprised an extremely eclectic heritage which spanned many generations and sub-races across history, but with common traits: usually, vampires needed to consume blood regularly to survive, were immortal and sterile, were vulnerable to water and sunlight, developed individual abilities and dark gifts, and would drastically evolve over time.
Under this definition, the first vampires emerged as a consequence of the Vampire-Hylden war, when the Hylden unleashed the blood curse against their adversaries as retribution for their banishment. Before their extinction, these ancient vampires passed the curse on to humans, who carried on their lineage. Over the eras, under the leadership of ancient patriarchs such as Janos Audron, Vorador, and Kain, vampire culture alternated from that of feared and widely-hunted outcasts to that of Nosgoth’s apex predators. Ranking among the series’ defining and most recognizable components, vampires have appeared in all Legacy of Kain media to date.
Vampirism causes the subject to become “immortal”. They can still be killed, but they will not age like a mortal or die of natural causes. They need not eat, sleep or drink, though their natural human needs are replaced almost solely by a blood-lust/thirst which they were required to do in order to maintain their strength (if anything they were carnivores or plasmavores; where blood only for food; though blood was required for a vampire to be able to do anything, it was also used to heal wounds). Vampires are also sterile, though there are ways that one can create a vampire from another creature. They also have other abilities including superhuman strength, speed, agility, heightened senses, durability, and healing-factor. Vampires become more powerful as they age. When evolving from fledglings to adults they will enter a period of hibernation and undergo a state of physical/physiological metamorphosis, receiving new abilities, new physical features, and usually becoming tougher; able to withstand more punishment before succumbing to death, or needing to consume blood.
Janos turning Vorador
The Ancients would pass their dark gift onto humans in order to prepare them for life serving the Pillars. One of the first turned vampires was Vorador, turned by Janos Audron for crafting the Reaver blade, not for guardianship.
It is safe to assume Vampires turned humans en masse into vampires in order to preserve their species, as opposed to only humans who would serve vampires. This lead to an uprising by the humans who overthrew the Vampires, rejected their gift, and took control of the pillars.
A Vampire Guardian
The Pillars of Nosgoth now began to choose human guardians due to the Ancients’ inability to produce children (as Guardians are chosen at birth). They adopted as well as abducted the human successors and when they came of age they were transformed into vampires, and deemed it a necessary evil. when the Pillars of Nosgoth were erected to bind the Hylden to the demon dimension as only Vampire Guardians could adequately serve the pillars and their governing forces.
Humans inevitably rejected the curse, fighting off their Vampire oppressors (led by Moebius and Mortanius) and claiming the Pillars as their own. Unable to properly tend to them, the Pillars’ power slowly dwindled and the Binding weakened, allowing Hylden to slowly infiltrate back into Nosgoth. As history became forgotten, the human’s eventually lost sight of the point of their work, unaware of the evil the Pillars were holding back.
more to be added
The background materials for the multiplayer spin-off Nosgoth elaborate on the history of the Soul Reaver era and vampires of that age, showing that in the wake of Raziel’s execution Kain disappeared, abandoning his empire and using the Chronoplast to search for a way to restore the pillars.[NOS][NOS-Official]
The resulting power vacuum sparked infighting and mistrust among among the lieutenants and their clans -which devolved into open conflict, the near extermination of the Razielim and ultimately led to a bloody civil war.[NOS][NOS-Official]
With the vampires distracted by their own affairs the formerly subjugated humans were allowed the chance to rebuild and rise to present a credible threat to the vampires.A particularly devastating attack awakened the vampires to the renewed threat posed by humanity and the clans reunited in an uneasy alliance aiming to put down the resistance of humanity once and for all in the War for Nosgoth.[NOS][NOS-Official]
A Blue skinned, winged race which in ancient times participated in the war with the Hylden. As the ancients raised the pillars, banishing the Hylden to the Demon Realm, the Hylden retaliated, casting the initial Blood curse on the ancients (whose effects included blood thirst, sterility and most significantly immortality; which caused the ancients ‘oracle’, the Elder God to fall silent). In despair, the ancients managed to find a way to maintain their control of the pillars by passing the curse onto humans, turning them into Nosgoth’s second generation of vampires. Janos was the last of the Ancient vampires and the only one seen in the series (though others have featured in Murals).
As the ancients found a way to turn humans into vampires, Vorador was the first Human to whom ‘the Dark Gift’ was passed, setting of a new generation of vampires and the first not born of that race. Many of the initial Human Guardians born after deaths in the circle were turned by the Ancient Vampires to maintain the pillars (a policy which gave rise to the human rebellion and vampires abandoning the pillars to human guardianship). As the ancients faltered the turned vampires flourished and began to turn others. After many centuries had passed and the ancients all but forgotten. A rise in vampire numbers led to the initiation of Sarafan crusades against them, though it was Moebius’ Mercenary Army which virtually caused the demise of this generation of vampires. Vorador was the last (and also the first) of this generation of Vampires and he, his brides and the vampire killed in the Sarafan era at the start of Blood Omen are the only examples shown in the series (though others have been cut and feature in art).
A generation of vampires which existed only in the fourth Paradox timeline . This generation was raised by Vorador following the Collapse of the the pillars and filled the ranks of Kain’s Vampire Army . When the army was defeated by the Sarafan, the Sarafan conquered and hunted down Nosgoth’s Vampires to a small group in Meridian,the Cabal. The fate of this generation (and their sire) remains ultimately unknown, though many believe Kain may have hunted them down. Umah, Faustus, Marcus, Sebastian, Magnus and the unnamed members of the Cabal were all part of this generation of vampires.
A generation of Vampires that was raised by Kain five centuries after the collapse of the the pillars. Using a new method based on his own unique vampire rebirth, Kain snared the souls of six former Sarafan commanders and used them to re-animate their corpses. They in turn raised the vampire clans which would dominate Nosgoth for over a millennium. As Nosgoth detoriated into a wasteland, the vampires themselves devolved into various beasts. The fate of this generation of vampires remains ultimately unknown, though Wraith Raziel may have inflicted heavy losses. Raziel, Turel, Dumah, Rahab, Zephon, Melchiah, the Tomb Guardian and the Vampires of the Razielim, the Turelim, Dumahim, Rahabim, Zephonim and Melchahim were all part of this generation of vampires.
The method used by Mortanius to resurrect Kain as a Vampire (trapping his soul beyond death and using the Heart of Darkness to rasie him as a vampire) makes Kain a unique case amongst Vampires and because of this Kain is arguably not part of any of the established Vampire Subraces.
The curse bestowed a number of natural ‘powers’ to vampires, making them superior to humans in many ways:
For the specifically described individual Abilities used in game, seeAbilities
For a full list of Abilities seen in the Legacy of Kain series, see Category:Abilities
Aside from their ‘natural’ advantages over humans, Vampires can also develop their own Abilities or ‘Dark Gifts’ which mimic and in some cases exceed Sorcery and Glyphs (which they can also collect for extra abilities). Vampires can develop multiple abilities on their own or they can consume and emulate the dark gifts of other vampires (a living vampire like Kain must kill and consume the blood/veins of an expired vampire in order to receive the vampires’ dark gift.)
Kain’s first generation of descendants inherited most of their abilities from Kain. He would go into periods of evolution, after which he would emerge with a new ‘gift’. Since Kain’s progeny were made using a portion of his soul each, they would later inherit his evolutions via the same method. The vampires sired by Kain’s ‘sons’ inherited most of the vampiric gifts from their patriarch but overall do not develop their own abilities (only slightly alter Kain’s own). Unfortunately, when the corruption of Kain’s soul, caused by Nupraptor, started taking effect, the abilities his lieutenants received (who inherited the corruption themselves) began to devolve. These ‘gifts’ were in turn passed on to their respective armies in a similar manner to their masters. For example, Melchiah ‘s inability to sustain his physical skin was past to his children who became very zombie-like. Though it can also work to an advantage, such as Rahab’s ability to swim being passed to his offspring who thereafter dominated the waters of Nosgoth.
Despite being stronger and hardier than humans, there were a variety of ways to kill a vampire: Water burned a vampire’s skin like strong acid did to humans and immersion was fatal; Fire ‘inflamed’ and burnt vampire flesh and Fledglings were vulnerable to sunlight.
Otherwise, a vampire would have to be impaled through a vital organ or have their head or heart removed in order to kill them, any other damage they took would be healed almost instantly as their flesh would simply knit itself back together (an ability sustained by adequate blood supplies).
Additionally, vampires are vulnerable to certain sound frequencies: Marcus was incapacitated with pain upon hearing the bells of Meridian’s cathedral, while the humans within Kain’s Empire created the Silenced Cathedral, a stronghold created to generate destructive soundwaves, to combat the vampires.
A Vampire Wraith
After death, a vampires soul is drawn into the Spectral Realm where, after some time, it may adapt and become a Vampire Wraith. It would contend for souls with other native species of the realm such as the Sluagh. Vampire Wraiths are very agile and quite powerful compared to most other Spectral species.
If the means through which a vampire is killed is reversed, a Vampire Wraith may be able to re-enter their body, with the added ability to cast an energy-siphoning band to their enemies and draw upon their energies from afar. For example, if a vampire was killed through impaling, the vampire could be revived by simply removing the implement with which they were impaled, allowing the skin to heal and reanimating the body. Death through immolation, beheading and other more permanent means that natural vampirism cannot adapt to were irreversible.
The Hylden utilized a special kind of magic, known as Glyph magic, which was deadly to vampires as well. Glyph barriers could be used to repel, injure, and imprison vampires.
to be added
The rest is here:
Vampires | Legacy of Kain Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
- Vampires | Adventure Time Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 25th, 2018
- Vampire Facts - Top 10 Facts about Vampires | Facts.net - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires The Official John Carpenter - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires | The Shadowhunters' Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 16th, 2018
- Vampire | Vampedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 12th, 2018
- Edward Cullen | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 28th, 2018
- Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires): Chloe Neill ... - September 28th, 2018
- Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry ... - August 19th, 2018
- Vampire | Monster Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 8th, 2018
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories (Vintage ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Lesbian Vampires - Gothic Vampires Biting During Sex ... - July 18th, 2018
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Best Sellers in Vampire Romances - amazon.com - June 28th, 2018
- 5 Real Signs That Vampires Actually Exist - YouTube - June 27th, 2018
- Vampires may have been REAL people suffering this blood disorder, experts reveal - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires May Have Been Real People - kgw.com - September 7th, 2017
- Metro Science: How itching works, the real vampires, and sound smart with neuroscience - MetroNews Canada - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires Are Sex Gods - TV Tropes - September 6th, 2017
- JUST HUMOR ME: Babysitting for vampires - Montgomery Newspapers - September 6th, 2017
- Stay energized: Be aware of the energy vampires that are out there ... - The Southern - September 3rd, 2017
- Rip-Off Alert: 'Financial vampires' target elderly for home renovation scams - News3LV - September 1st, 2017
- Eat Locals review Jason Flemyng's bickering vampires feast on absurdity - The Guardian - August 31st, 2017
- What's New on Hulu: September 2017 - Vulture - August 31st, 2017
- Watch Jason Isbell's 'If We Were Vampires' Music Video - The Boot - The Boot (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper continues to push boundaries of creativity - Tribune-Review - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire' victim is crazy and a devil worshipper, says accused - Independent Online - August 29th, 2017
- Psychology professor who researchers "vampires" reportedly caught licking student's blood in class - Boing Boing - August 28th, 2017
- Star Trek writers to adapt A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek UK - August 25th, 2017
- LETTER: Universities acting like vampires on Bath housing market - Bath Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- SLAYERS AND VAMPIRES the untold, unauthorised, uncensored history of the making of BUFFY and ANGEL ... - The Fan Carpet - August 24th, 2017
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Writers Penning 'A People's History of the ... - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2017
- Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode to play a vampire in TV adaptation of A Discovery of Witches - Radio Times - August 24th, 2017
- Fable Cry's Upcoming Album is a Concept Album About Bootlegging Blood For Vampires - Dread Central - August 22nd, 2017
- Review: Dracula: Vampires vs. Zombies - VRFocus - August 19th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: The Lost Boys' glitter blood - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- What's on TV Tuesday: Iranian Vampires and Scientologists - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Puzzle Piece: Vampires and Prostitutes Gone Wild in 'Preacher' - Film School Rejects - August 16th, 2017
- Johnny Depp Quitting Hollywood Vampires Rock Band? - Gossip Cop - August 16th, 2017
- Once bitten, twice shy Vampires: Lucas Rising lacks a little bite - Out In Jersey - August 14th, 2017
- Ian Somerhalder talks fangs and vampires at Boston Comic Con ... - The Boston Globe - August 14th, 2017
- Book review: Chasing Norwegian vampires in 'The Thirst' - Florida Times-Union - August 13th, 2017
- Visit Highgate Cemetery: Home to magicians, vampires & George Michael - The National Student - August 13th, 2017
- 'If We Were Vampires': Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit Debut Music Video - Wide Open Country - August 12th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's Gorgeous, Animated 'If We Were Vampires' Video - RollingStone.com - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrity Big Brother's Trisha Paytas is convinced that vampires are real - and that they have their own secret society - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's moving, animated new 'If We Were Vampires' video - EW.com (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Season 1, Episode 3 Recap: Magic & Science - Refinery29 - August 8th, 2017
- Trump Watch: Vampires, Yusopov and The Zeitgeist - The London Economic - August 7th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas: The Vampire Lemuel - FlickDirect - August 7th, 2017
- The important lessons: Why Hitler considered himself a wolf and his enemies vampires - National Post - August 6th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Townies Give Manfred a Chilling Vampire Education Watch - TVLine - August 4th, 2017
- Microbial Vampires Shrink from Light - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Owner denies vampires dwell in Baroque-style mansion in Taoyuan - Taiwan News - August 2nd, 2017
- The Lost Boys Turns 30: 80s Punk Rock Vampires Need A Comeback - Monkeys Fighting Robots (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Grunge/Glam Queens Sharkmuffin Turn Into Vampires; Announce US Tour Dates - Broadway World - August 2nd, 2017
- Editorial: These woodland vampires can host scary diseases | OUR ... - Richmond.com - July 31st, 2017
- Flavio Fianello Named New Guitarist For Theatres Des Vampires - Metal Underground - July 31st, 2017
- The disturbing world of real life vampires - Metro - July 30th, 2017
- The Lost Boys at 30: sexy vampires, onset raving, and the making of the most Eighties movie ever - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- How To Tame Your Home's Energy Vampires - Texas Monthly - July 30th, 2017
- Narayani Shastri: Those who find naagin concept regressive, watch shows on vampires - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- The Strain was supposed to be FX's Walking Dead. What happened? - Vox - July 30th, 2017
- 'Midnight, Texas': How the Author Behind 'True Blood' Rewrote Her Own Vampire Rules to Create a More Tolerant World - IndieWire - July 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper Talks What's Next for Hollywood Vampires - WROR - WROR - July 30th, 2017
- Guest Post: Author Lee Markham on Why The Truants Isn't 'Just' a Vampire Story - Dread Central - July 11th, 2017
- Vampires aren't always bad in Vampyr - Gamereactor UK - Gamereactor UK - July 11th, 2017
- Seton Hill faculty co-curate academic conference for International Vampire Film and Arts Festival in Romania - Tribune-Review - July 8th, 2017
- Watch Vampires Stalk Their Prey in SG Lewis and Toulouse's "Times We Had" Video - PigeonsAndPlanes - July 6th, 2017
- Glastonbury: Johnny Depp could yet return to the festival with his ... - Somerset Live - July 2nd, 2017
- Alice Cooper 'Would Never Even Think of Retiring,' Already Writing New Hollywood Vampires Album - Loudwire - July 1st, 2017
- Hitler Used Werewolves, Vampires, and Astrology to Brainwash Germany - VICE - June 30th, 2017
- Novelist Sara Dobie Bauer makes vampire angst a laughing matter - Toledo City Paper - June 30th, 2017
- Sexual vampires? Tale of jinxed devastatingly beautiful Kikuyu women whose husbands die mysteriously - The Standard - June 30th, 2017
- Vampires and Raven sign up for high-flying Clacton Airshow - Gazette - June 29th, 2017
- These Three Movies Will Help You Understand the Republican Health Care Bill - Slate Magazine (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Vampires' lure donors in 'Transylvania-themed' blood donation drive - Coconuts - June 29th, 2017
- Santa Cruz's vampire past - The Mercury News - June 27th, 2017
- Vampires and Gnats: When Airplanes Do (or Don't) Fit Their Names - Air & Space Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- Zuma calls for calm as Lusikisiki residents gun for 'vampires' - Daily dispatch - June 26th, 2017
- 'Vampires' lead bloodletting in Pangasinan town - Inquirer.net - June 24th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero