SAN FRANCISCO (CN) Verizon customers who accused an online ad company of using zombie cookies to collect personal data through their smartphones will have a second chance to sue the company as a class, the Ninth Circuit ruled Tuesday.
A three-judge appeals panel granted the subscribers petition to overturn a federal judges order staying theirproposedclass action and compelling arbitration between the lead plaintiff and Verizon over Turn Inc.s alleged conduct, ruling that the lower court had committed clear error.
We are left with a definite and firm conviction that a mistake has been committed, the per curiam opinion said.
A class of Verizon customers from New York sued Turn in the Northern District of California in 2015, claiming the company used zombie cookies to monitor their online behavior through their mobile devices.
Advertisers use bits of data called cookies to gather web information about users that can be used in targeted advertising. A user can delete a cookie, but lead plaintiff Anthony Henson said Turns zombie cookies evaded detection and could not be deleted. When a person deleted Turns cookies, the company recreated them, he claimed.
Last year, U.S. District Judge Jeffery White granted Turns motion to stay the class action and compel arbitration, finding the claims against Turn were inextricably intertwined with a Verizon customer agreement that includes an arbitration clause.
The plaintiffs had argued Turns motion to compel arbitration should be denied because Turn was not a party to the agreement. But White found arbitration must becompelled when claims arise directly from a provision of a contract that requires arbitration to settle disputes.
The Ninth Circuit disagreed with White Tuesday, findingthe plaintiffs claims arent based on the customer agreement. Instead, their complaint was replete with allegations of wrongdoing against Turn that have nothing to do with the customer agreement, the court wrote, including that Turn collected data about Verizon users without their knowledge and bypassed their phones privacy controls in order to transmit their information to Turn.
None of these allegations rely on the customer agreement or attempt to seek any benefit from its terms, the panel wrote in its 16-page opinion.
Nimish Desai, a partner withLieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein in San Francisco who represents the plaintiffs, said Tuesday that he and his clients were pleased with the decision.
We are looking forward to litigating these claims on behalf of the plaintiffs and the proposed class, he said in an email.
To arrive at its conclusion, the panel relied on the third factor inBauman v. U.S. Dist. Court, decided by the Ninth Circuit in 1977. The factor considers whether a trial courts order is wrong as a matter of law.
The panel found that White had erred by granting Turns motion to compel arbitration under New Yorks equitable estoppel doctrine. Instead, White should have applied the equitable estoppel doctrine of California where Turn was sued to determine whether Turn, as a nonsignatory to the customer agreement, can compel arbitration.
Under California law, Henson would have to arbitrate if his claims relied on the customer agreement, or if the claims were founded in or intertwined with the agreement, according to the Ninth Circuits opinion.
The district court committed clear error by applying New Yorks equitable estoppel doctrine, rather than Californias, and by failing to apply California law correctly, the panel wrote.
The panel found that three of the fiveBaumanfactors weighed in favor of granting the petition.
Michael Rubin of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in San Franciscorepresents Turn. He could notbe reached for comment Tuesday.
Digital marketing tech company Amobee acquired Turn this past April, according to an announcement on Amobees website. Representatives for Amobee and Verizon did not return requests for comment.
Circuit Judges William Fletcher and Richard Tallman and U.S. District Judge Roslyn Silver, sitting by designation from the District of Arizona, made up the Ninth Circuit panel.
- Zombie | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie | fictional creature | Britannica.com - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Monster Girl Encyclopedia Wiki - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie royale.io - Play Zombieroyale io battle, unblocked - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | RuneScape Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombies - Investopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombi 2 (1980) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 11th, 2018
- The Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 9th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Zombie: Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Al Cliver ... - August 9th, 2018
- Zombie Games - Free Online Zombie Games - July 18th, 2018
- Zombie Official Minecraft Wiki - July 3rd, 2018
- Zombie Chase Parkour POV - YouTube - June 21st, 2018
- Sightings of 'zombie' dogs prompt warnings in Chicago - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 7th, 2017
- YWCA prepares for 2nd annual zombie run - KFYR-TV - September 7th, 2017
- Langhorne Slim Releases "Zombie" off Forthcoming New Album Lost at Last Vol. 1 - Paste Magazine - September 7th, 2017
- 'Zombie' coyotes reportedly seen in suburbs, and residents warned to keep away - Chicago Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- ARZombi Is A Zombie Shooter Made Using ARKit - UploadVR - September 6th, 2017
- Should You Forgive Your Zombie Relative? Ellen Page In 'The Cured' Watch TIFF Clip - Deadline - September 6th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' are roaming the suburbs of Chicago - The Week Magazine - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Walk to benefit local charity - Bowling Green Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Run will benefit Muskogee Animal Shelter - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 6th, 2017
- New 'The Walking Dead' AR app tests your zombie battle plan - CNET - CNET - September 6th, 2017
- Watch an extreme scene from TIFF zombie film Les Affams - EW.com - September 6th, 2017
- SecureView: Assemblyman James Skoufis Hosts Demonstration to Clean Up Zombie Property Blight - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Chicago's Newest Problem Is An Invasion Of ZOMBIE DOGS - The Daily Caller - September 5th, 2017
- Daily Deal: Zombie Army Trilogy Is 80% Off On Steam - Gameranx (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie' dogs are actually infected coyotes, police warn - Atlanta Journal Constitution - September 5th, 2017
- Your daily 6: A third child for William and Kate; zombie dogs in Chicago - STLtoday.com - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' roaming near Chicago are infected coyotes, police ... - Fox News - September 3rd, 2017
- Railey: Confronting 'zombie mindsets' and a Charlottesville martyr - Winston-Salem Journal - September 3rd, 2017
- Trump Pardons Zombie Apocalypse - Indian Country Today Media Network - September 3rd, 2017
- Police warn of infected 'zombie' coyotes confused for stray dogs - KCRA Sacramento - September 2nd, 2017
- Survive An Augmented Zombie Reality In Walking Dead: Our World - Shacknews - September 2nd, 2017
- The Bentley You Need For The Zombie Apocalypse Is Finally For Sale - Jalopnik - September 1st, 2017
- Cops warn residents to avoid mange-infected coyotes labeled 'zombie dogs' - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Cops Warn of Infected 'Zombie' Coyotes Confused for Stray Dogs in ... - NBC Chicago - September 1st, 2017
- 'Zombie' drug Spice addict grabbed terrified girl, 5, outside Primark and gave her a 'bear hug' - Mirror.co.uk - September 1st, 2017
- Rome on cutting edge for dealing with zombie properties - Utica Observer Dispatch - August 31st, 2017
- The Mask Hides My Ugliness: Violence and Trauma in Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' - The Film Stage (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Syllabus: Zombie Charlotte Law (updated) - Greensboro News & Record (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Night King and Zombie Viserion are comingin Funko Pop! form - Winter Is Coming - August 31st, 2017
- Death of Spain's Zombie Lenders Sends Bank Jobs to Decade Low - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Rob Zombie's Halloween 10th anniversary: How Tyler Mane ... - EW.com - August 30th, 2017
- Call of Duty Black Ops III and Zombie Chronicles Officially Bundled Together - Twinfinite - August 30th, 2017
- Here a few of Lil Uzi Vert's favorite things: Rob Zombie, Rugrats and more - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- Zombie shooter Dead Alliance now available - Flickering Myth (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Brooklyn Decker Compares Herself to 'Zombie Taylor Swift' in 'Look What You Made Me Do' Music Video - Us Weekly - August 29th, 2017
- Call of Duty: WWII's Zombies Is Changing its Tone and That's Exactly What it Needs - Twinfinite - August 29th, 2017
- Rob Zombie on Tobe Hooper: 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' Changed My Life - RollingStone.com - August 28th, 2017
- 'Zombie' translation book authored by Ashland professor - Richland Source - August 28th, 2017
- City set to file first court action against 'zombie property' - Rome Sentinel - August 28th, 2017
- Zombies, romance and revenge drive record 'Game of Thrones' ratings - Reuters - August 28th, 2017
- Video: President Trump's zombie claim of widespread voter fraud in the 2016 election - Washington Post - August 28th, 2017
- Hudson Confidential: 'Zombie' utility poles outlawed in Cornwall-on-Hudson - Times Herald-Record - August 28th, 2017
- Falls steps up its fight against 'zombie homes' - Niagara Gazette - August 28th, 2017
- City seeks help in identifying 'zombie properties' - The Recorder (subscription) - August 28th, 2017
- Zombie homes shame campaign spreads to Niagara Falls - Spectrum News - August 26th, 2017
- Zombie run scheduled at Castle of Muskogee - Tulsa World - August 26th, 2017
- 19 Years Ago: Rob Zombie Debuts His Solo Album "Hellbilly Deluxe" - WAAF.com (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- What can the Zombie Apocalypse teach us about ourselves? [Video] - OUPblog (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Like A Movie Zombie, Tax Reform Refuses To Die - Investor's Business Daily - August 25th, 2017
- Buy Your Tickets Now For 'Z is for...Zombie!' - Patch.com - August 25th, 2017
- West Milford plans law to slay 'zombie' homes - NorthJersey.com - August 24th, 2017
- 'Game of Thrones': Why the White Walkers and Wights Represent the Best and Worst Zombie Tropes - IndieWire - August 24th, 2017
- Starbucks' new sushi burrito sounds like how zombie outbreaks start ... - GolfDigest.com - August 24th, 2017
- Heavy weekend rains likely when zombie storm Harvey comes to Texas - MyStatesman.com - August 24th, 2017
- Louisville Zombie Walk Attack Funeral! - Louisville Eccentric Observer - August 24th, 2017
- 'State of Decay 2' forces you to pick who becomes zombie food - Engadget - August 22nd, 2017
- The Zombie Polar Bear on Game of Thrones Was Just a Dude in a Green Suit - Esquire.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Zombie Hitler reanimates in Dead Snow 3 - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- That Zombie Polar Bear on 'Game of Thrones' Was Four Seasons in the Making - Thrillist - August 22nd, 2017
- HESCO Sponsor Zombie Invitational Shooting Competition (Multi-Video) - 220.127.116.11 (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Dead Snow 3 will feature 'Zombie-Hitler,' says director - EW.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Game of Thrones: Why Everyone on the Set Hated that Zombie Polar Bear - Vanity Fair - August 22nd, 2017
- China's Debt Swaps Surpass $100 Billion - Bloomberg - August 20th, 2017
- Community Download: Are You Tired Of Zombie VR Games? - UploadVR - August 20th, 2017
- Rob Zombie to host '13 Nights of Halloween' on HDNET MOVIES - EW.com - August 19th, 2017
- "The Art of Response: Zombie Preparedness" event coming to Abilene in October - Big Country Homepage - August 19th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero