Ever since Call of Duty: World at War, weve been staving off seas of zombies, both Nazi and otherwise. Call of Duty and Zombies have gone together like peanut butter and jelly ever since the first map, Nacht der Untoten, debuted.
Originally featuring Nazi zombies that players could pick off while flying solo or grouping up with buddies, the popular game mode has evolved in significant ways over the years, from an extra gameplay mode clearly created just for kicks to a full-fledged part of the Call of Duty franchise with its own lore and universe. Its shifted from a dark and gritty atmosphere to pulpy, silly adventures featuring celebrity appearances and an almost parodical tone.
The Zombies tradition is continuing with Call of Duty: WWII, where the popular game mode is returning once more, but the veneer of B-movie schlock is being liftedfor a much more serious affair. While it may be a blow to anyone whos gotten used to Call of Dutys recent brand of zombie-related silliness, pivoting back to the nightmarish undead situation could be one of the best moves its ever made.
Its been a long time since any of the Call of Duty Zombies modes could actually get your pulse racing, but it looks like the shambling undead Nazis of Call of Duty: WWII are here to send shivers down our spines once more. Its a decision that lends a serious edge to a mode that could have been wasted on camp, and one that Sledgehammer Games should be applauded for. Theres finally a mode that takes the atrocities of war and doubles down with human experimentation, the undead, and a crusade players will actually care aboutrather than a mishmash of pop culture references, ray guns, and celebrity voiceovers.
Sledgehammer co-studio head Glen Schofield previouslydescribed Call of Duty: WWIIs vision of Nazi Zombies as the Third Reichs desperate attempt to create an army in the final stages of the war. This tidbit alone paints a harrowing picture of the half-rotten corpses of fallen soldiers of the Third Reich scrambling to hold their position in a war they know theyve already lost.
Youre meant to be shocked by what you see, by the unfortunate living nightmares spawned by primary villainDr. Peter Glcksbringer Straub.Though much is still unknown about Dr. Straub, hes the creator of the undead army youll be forced to contend with. Dr. Straub has been taking dead soldiers and splicing them together piece by piece to make a pitiable army of the undead with a claw here, or a weapon-for-an-arm there.
The abhorrent experiments conducted by Straub to spawn super soldiers are similar to situations seen in horror movies already, with one of the most recent brought to mind beingFrankensteins Army. This isnt a new trope by any means, but its bound to make players much more uncomfortable than any plain Jane, run-of-the-mill zombies that look like ravenous, monstrous human beings.
The brute-like zombie that appeared in the Nazi Zombies trailer, or the Wstling (Libertine in English), is one of Dr. Straubs creations, reminiscent of some type of berserker that wreaks havoc wherever it goes. It wears a painful-looking contraption on its head that seems like something akin to Saws bear trap helmet, and who knows what its even for? It could be keeping the zombie held together, for all we know.
There are also zombies with their jaws half-melted off, those with missing limbs and metal contraptions bolted on, and a bevy of other heart-stopping creatures that youd want to put out of their misery even if they werent trying to gnaw on your flesh.
Its bone-chilling enough to be facing off against the undead, but the wretched results of failed experiments (and even the successful ones) are downright terrifying. Thats part of what makes this Nazi Zombies mode even more attuned with horror than the campy antics of the previous maps and storylines.
If it doesnt get to you with the insane amounts of body horror, itll get to you by reminding you that these are the remnants of deplorable human beings, Nazis who treated other human beings like cattle. In that, its more in tune with the main campaign and World War II vibe for the game overall. Its meant to challenge you by forcing you to face off against what could quite possibly be the most despised group of people on Earth, twisted into even more dangerous forms.
Its not asking you to laugh at a movie set or pick out a celebrity cameo. It wants to force you into a disgusting, depraved world of human experiments, Nazis, and war. For that, it may very well be the scariest vision of Call of Duty Zombies yet. I cant wait to give it a try.
- Zombie - MTG Wiki - May 13th, 2019
- ZOMBIE GAMES Online - Play Free Zombie Games at Poki.com! - April 20th, 2019
- Bad Wolves - Zombie (Official Video) - April 13th, 2019
- Zombie | Yu-Gi-Oh! | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 19th, 2019
- Zombie Trailer Park | Addicting Games - March 8th, 2019
- Zombie Cocktail Recipe - Liquor.com - February 26th, 2019
- Zombie deer disease: Why deer with CWD are nothing like ... - February 19th, 2019
- Nazi Horror Zombie Movie Review - Zombie Picture - February 16th, 2019
- Zombie Fest Northwest Normandy Park Washington ... - February 16th, 2019
- Zombie | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie | fictional creature | Britannica.com - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Monster Girl Encyclopedia Wiki - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie royale.io - Play Zombieroyale io battle, unblocked - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | RuneScape Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombies - Investopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombi 2 (1980) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 11th, 2018
- The Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 9th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Zombie: Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Al Cliver ... - August 9th, 2018
- Zombie Games - Free Online Zombie Games - July 18th, 2018
- Zombie Official Minecraft Wiki - July 3rd, 2018
- Zombie Chase Parkour POV - YouTube - June 21st, 2018
- Sightings of 'zombie' dogs prompt warnings in Chicago - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 7th, 2017
- YWCA prepares for 2nd annual zombie run - KFYR-TV - September 7th, 2017
- Langhorne Slim Releases "Zombie" off Forthcoming New Album Lost at Last Vol. 1 - Paste Magazine - September 7th, 2017
- 'Zombie' coyotes reportedly seen in suburbs, and residents warned to keep away - Chicago Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- ARZombi Is A Zombie Shooter Made Using ARKit - UploadVR - September 6th, 2017
- Should You Forgive Your Zombie Relative? Ellen Page In 'The Cured' Watch TIFF Clip - Deadline - September 6th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' are roaming the suburbs of Chicago - The Week Magazine - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Walk to benefit local charity - Bowling Green Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Run will benefit Muskogee Animal Shelter - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 6th, 2017
- New 'The Walking Dead' AR app tests your zombie battle plan - CNET - CNET - September 6th, 2017
- Watch an extreme scene from TIFF zombie film Les Affams - EW.com - September 6th, 2017
- 9th Circuit Revives Class Action Over 'Zombie' Smartphone Cookies - Courthouse News Service - September 6th, 2017
- SecureView: Assemblyman James Skoufis Hosts Demonstration to Clean Up Zombie Property Blight - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Chicago's Newest Problem Is An Invasion Of ZOMBIE DOGS - The Daily Caller - September 5th, 2017
- Daily Deal: Zombie Army Trilogy Is 80% Off On Steam - Gameranx (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie' dogs are actually infected coyotes, police warn - Atlanta Journal Constitution - September 5th, 2017
- Your daily 6: A third child for William and Kate; zombie dogs in Chicago - STLtoday.com - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' roaming near Chicago are infected coyotes, police ... - Fox News - September 3rd, 2017
- Railey: Confronting 'zombie mindsets' and a Charlottesville martyr - Winston-Salem Journal - September 3rd, 2017
- Trump Pardons Zombie Apocalypse - Indian Country Today Media Network - September 3rd, 2017
- Police warn of infected 'zombie' coyotes confused for stray dogs - KCRA Sacramento - September 2nd, 2017
- Survive An Augmented Zombie Reality In Walking Dead: Our World - Shacknews - September 2nd, 2017
- The Bentley You Need For The Zombie Apocalypse Is Finally For Sale - Jalopnik - September 1st, 2017
- Cops warn residents to avoid mange-infected coyotes labeled 'zombie dogs' - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Cops Warn of Infected 'Zombie' Coyotes Confused for Stray Dogs in ... - NBC Chicago - September 1st, 2017
- 'Zombie' drug Spice addict grabbed terrified girl, 5, outside Primark and gave her a 'bear hug' - Mirror.co.uk - September 1st, 2017
- Rome on cutting edge for dealing with zombie properties - Utica Observer Dispatch - August 31st, 2017
- The Mask Hides My Ugliness: Violence and Trauma in Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' - The Film Stage (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Syllabus: Zombie Charlotte Law (updated) - Greensboro News & Record (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Night King and Zombie Viserion are comingin Funko Pop! form - Winter Is Coming - August 31st, 2017
- Death of Spain's Zombie Lenders Sends Bank Jobs to Decade Low - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Rob Zombie's Halloween 10th anniversary: How Tyler Mane ... - EW.com - August 30th, 2017
- Call of Duty Black Ops III and Zombie Chronicles Officially Bundled Together - Twinfinite - August 30th, 2017
- Here a few of Lil Uzi Vert's favorite things: Rob Zombie, Rugrats and more - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- Zombie shooter Dead Alliance now available - Flickering Myth (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Brooklyn Decker Compares Herself to 'Zombie Taylor Swift' in 'Look What You Made Me Do' Music Video - Us Weekly - August 29th, 2017
- Rob Zombie on Tobe Hooper: 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' Changed My Life - RollingStone.com - August 28th, 2017
- 'Zombie' translation book authored by Ashland professor - Richland Source - August 28th, 2017
- City set to file first court action against 'zombie property' - Rome Sentinel - August 28th, 2017
- Zombies, romance and revenge drive record 'Game of Thrones' ratings - Reuters - August 28th, 2017
- Video: President Trump's zombie claim of widespread voter fraud in the 2016 election - Washington Post - August 28th, 2017
- Hudson Confidential: 'Zombie' utility poles outlawed in Cornwall-on-Hudson - Times Herald-Record - August 28th, 2017
- Falls steps up its fight against 'zombie homes' - Niagara Gazette - August 28th, 2017
- City seeks help in identifying 'zombie properties' - The Recorder (subscription) - August 28th, 2017
- Zombie homes shame campaign spreads to Niagara Falls - Spectrum News - August 26th, 2017
- Zombie run scheduled at Castle of Muskogee - Tulsa World - August 26th, 2017
- 19 Years Ago: Rob Zombie Debuts His Solo Album "Hellbilly Deluxe" - WAAF.com (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- What can the Zombie Apocalypse teach us about ourselves? [Video] - OUPblog (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Like A Movie Zombie, Tax Reform Refuses To Die - Investor's Business Daily - August 25th, 2017
- Buy Your Tickets Now For 'Z is for...Zombie!' - Patch.com - August 25th, 2017
- West Milford plans law to slay 'zombie' homes - NorthJersey.com - August 24th, 2017
- 'Game of Thrones': Why the White Walkers and Wights Represent the Best and Worst Zombie Tropes - IndieWire - August 24th, 2017
- Starbucks' new sushi burrito sounds like how zombie outbreaks start ... - GolfDigest.com - August 24th, 2017
- Heavy weekend rains likely when zombie storm Harvey comes to Texas - MyStatesman.com - August 24th, 2017
- Louisville Zombie Walk Attack Funeral! - Louisville Eccentric Observer - August 24th, 2017
- 'State of Decay 2' forces you to pick who becomes zombie food - Engadget - August 22nd, 2017
- The Zombie Polar Bear on Game of Thrones Was Just a Dude in a Green Suit - Esquire.com - August 22nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero