Reported sightings in the suburbs of sick-looking canines could be so-called zombie coyotes.
The wild animals are believed to be suffering from a contagious disease called sarcoptic mange, and the ghoulish nickname comes from the condition’s effects on behavior and appearance, including fur loss and skin problems.
Sightings have popped up in northwest and southwest portions of Cook County, said Chris Anchor, senior wildlife biologist for the Forest Preserves of Cook County, who studies coyotes as part of the Urban Coyote Research program and whose team has come across ailing coyotes.
And the Hanover Park Police Department issued an alert last week, advising people and pets to stay away from the animals.
The department said on its Facebook page that it received several reports from citizens “concerned about what appear to be malnourished or neglected stray dogs. These are NOT lost pets, but are in fact coyotes.”
The alert reported that sarcoptic mange is on the rise in urban coyote populations, and the condition is what can eventually have the animals “looking like some sort of ‘zombie’ dog.”
Despite the mange’s macabre effects, the condition is rarely life-threatening, including in unusual cases where it spreads to household pets through direct contact with a coyote, Anchor said. Pets can be treated with medication from a veterinarian and typically make a full recovery, he said.
One risk for infected wildlife is that the hair loss can prevent animals from generating enough body heat, Anchor said. But even when coyotes are infected in colder months, many are “smart enough” to seek shelter in places like backyard compost heaps or find other ways to stay warm, he said.
Rebecca Dmytryk of Wildlife Emergency Services, a volunteer service in central California that has tracked coyotes sick with sarcoptic mange in that region, said the condition is probably spreading through coyote populations because they’re social animals with family units.
Rebecca Dmytryk/Wildlife Emergency Services
The infection can also affect the animals’ vision, prompting them to look for food in daylight hours, according to the Hanover Park police post.
The disease does not make the animal more violent, or otherwise affect its behavior, Anchor said.
Still, while coyotes aren’t normally aggressive and typically avoid humans, experts discourage residents from trying to attract the animals and advise people not to leave food out and to secure outdoor garbage cans.
Otherwise, Anchor said, “that barrier (between the animals and people) will break down.”
Stephanie Touzalin, a naturalist with the DuPage County Forest Preserve District’s Willowbrook Wildlife Center in Glen Ellyn, said pets must come into physical contact to be infected with mange from a wild animal. A pet won’t be infected simply because of a diseased animal passing through a yard.
She also said fall is a time of year when many young animals are leaving their home territories, which makes sightings more common.
The disease typically shows up every few years and spreads across coyote populations, Anchor said.
Mark Romano, a wildlife control specialist, said he has seen more mange this summer than he has in the last four or five years.
The culprit is overpopulation, he said. Although there are strategies to combat this, they are expensive, and most municipal agencies don’t have the money for it.
Instead, Romano advised residents to call authorities or a private trapper to deal with problem wildlife encounters.
“Don’t try to handle a problem yourself, because you don’t know what the animal is going to do,” Romano said. “You never know how a wild animal will interact with a human being. You can never predict it.”
Go here to see the original:
‘Zombie’ coyotes reportedly seen in suburbs, and residents warned to keep away – Chicago Tribune
- Zombie | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie | fictional creature | Britannica.com - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Monster Girl Encyclopedia Wiki - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie royale.io - Play Zombieroyale io battle, unblocked - December 12th, 2018
- Zombie - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | RuneScape Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombies - Investopedia - December 11th, 2018
- Zombi 2 (1980) - Rotten Tomatoes - December 11th, 2018
- The Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz - December 11th, 2018
- Zombie | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 9th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Zombie: Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Al Cliver ... - August 9th, 2018
- Zombie Games - Free Online Zombie Games - July 18th, 2018
- Zombie Official Minecraft Wiki - July 3rd, 2018
- Zombie Chase Parkour POV - YouTube - June 21st, 2018
- Sightings of 'zombie' dogs prompt warnings in Chicago - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 7th, 2017
- YWCA prepares for 2nd annual zombie run - KFYR-TV - September 7th, 2017
- Langhorne Slim Releases "Zombie" off Forthcoming New Album Lost at Last Vol. 1 - Paste Magazine - September 7th, 2017
- ARZombi Is A Zombie Shooter Made Using ARKit - UploadVR - September 6th, 2017
- Should You Forgive Your Zombie Relative? Ellen Page In 'The Cured' Watch TIFF Clip - Deadline - September 6th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' are roaming the suburbs of Chicago - The Week Magazine - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Walk to benefit local charity - Bowling Green Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- Zombie Run will benefit Muskogee Animal Shelter - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 6th, 2017
- New 'The Walking Dead' AR app tests your zombie battle plan - CNET - CNET - September 6th, 2017
- Watch an extreme scene from TIFF zombie film Les Affams - EW.com - September 6th, 2017
- 9th Circuit Revives Class Action Over 'Zombie' Smartphone Cookies - Courthouse News Service - September 6th, 2017
- SecureView: Assemblyman James Skoufis Hosts Demonstration to Clean Up Zombie Property Blight - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Chicago's Newest Problem Is An Invasion Of ZOMBIE DOGS - The Daily Caller - September 5th, 2017
- Daily Deal: Zombie Army Trilogy Is 80% Off On Steam - Gameranx (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie' dogs are actually infected coyotes, police warn - Atlanta Journal Constitution - September 5th, 2017
- Your daily 6: A third child for William and Kate; zombie dogs in Chicago - STLtoday.com - September 5th, 2017
- 'Zombie dogs' roaming near Chicago are infected coyotes, police ... - Fox News - September 3rd, 2017
- Railey: Confronting 'zombie mindsets' and a Charlottesville martyr - Winston-Salem Journal - September 3rd, 2017
- Trump Pardons Zombie Apocalypse - Indian Country Today Media Network - September 3rd, 2017
- Police warn of infected 'zombie' coyotes confused for stray dogs - KCRA Sacramento - September 2nd, 2017
- Survive An Augmented Zombie Reality In Walking Dead: Our World - Shacknews - September 2nd, 2017
- The Bentley You Need For The Zombie Apocalypse Is Finally For Sale - Jalopnik - September 1st, 2017
- Cops warn residents to avoid mange-infected coyotes labeled 'zombie dogs' - New York Daily News - September 1st, 2017
- Cops Warn of Infected 'Zombie' Coyotes Confused for Stray Dogs in ... - NBC Chicago - September 1st, 2017
- 'Zombie' drug Spice addict grabbed terrified girl, 5, outside Primark and gave her a 'bear hug' - Mirror.co.uk - September 1st, 2017
- Rome on cutting edge for dealing with zombie properties - Utica Observer Dispatch - August 31st, 2017
- The Mask Hides My Ugliness: Violence and Trauma in Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' - The Film Stage (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Syllabus: Zombie Charlotte Law (updated) - Greensboro News & Record (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- The Night King and Zombie Viserion are comingin Funko Pop! form - Winter Is Coming - August 31st, 2017
- Death of Spain's Zombie Lenders Sends Bank Jobs to Decade Low - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Rob Zombie's Halloween 10th anniversary: How Tyler Mane ... - EW.com - August 30th, 2017
- Call of Duty Black Ops III and Zombie Chronicles Officially Bundled Together - Twinfinite - August 30th, 2017
- Here a few of Lil Uzi Vert's favorite things: Rob Zombie, Rugrats and more - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- Zombie shooter Dead Alliance now available - Flickering Myth (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Brooklyn Decker Compares Herself to 'Zombie Taylor Swift' in 'Look What You Made Me Do' Music Video - Us Weekly - August 29th, 2017
- Call of Duty: WWII's Zombies Is Changing its Tone and That's Exactly What it Needs - Twinfinite - August 29th, 2017
- Rob Zombie on Tobe Hooper: 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' Changed My Life - RollingStone.com - August 28th, 2017
- 'Zombie' translation book authored by Ashland professor - Richland Source - August 28th, 2017
- City set to file first court action against 'zombie property' - Rome Sentinel - August 28th, 2017
- Zombies, romance and revenge drive record 'Game of Thrones' ratings - Reuters - August 28th, 2017
- Video: President Trump's zombie claim of widespread voter fraud in the 2016 election - Washington Post - August 28th, 2017
- Hudson Confidential: 'Zombie' utility poles outlawed in Cornwall-on-Hudson - Times Herald-Record - August 28th, 2017
- Falls steps up its fight against 'zombie homes' - Niagara Gazette - August 28th, 2017
- City seeks help in identifying 'zombie properties' - The Recorder (subscription) - August 28th, 2017
- Zombie homes shame campaign spreads to Niagara Falls - Spectrum News - August 26th, 2017
- Zombie run scheduled at Castle of Muskogee - Tulsa World - August 26th, 2017
- 19 Years Ago: Rob Zombie Debuts His Solo Album "Hellbilly Deluxe" - WAAF.com (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- What can the Zombie Apocalypse teach us about ourselves? [Video] - OUPblog (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Like A Movie Zombie, Tax Reform Refuses To Die - Investor's Business Daily - August 25th, 2017
- Buy Your Tickets Now For 'Z is for...Zombie!' - Patch.com - August 25th, 2017
- West Milford plans law to slay 'zombie' homes - NorthJersey.com - August 24th, 2017
- 'Game of Thrones': Why the White Walkers and Wights Represent the Best and Worst Zombie Tropes - IndieWire - August 24th, 2017
- Starbucks' new sushi burrito sounds like how zombie outbreaks start ... - GolfDigest.com - August 24th, 2017
- Heavy weekend rains likely when zombie storm Harvey comes to Texas - MyStatesman.com - August 24th, 2017
- Louisville Zombie Walk Attack Funeral! - Louisville Eccentric Observer - August 24th, 2017
- 'State of Decay 2' forces you to pick who becomes zombie food - Engadget - August 22nd, 2017
- The Zombie Polar Bear on Game of Thrones Was Just a Dude in a Green Suit - Esquire.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Zombie Hitler reanimates in Dead Snow 3 - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- That Zombie Polar Bear on 'Game of Thrones' Was Four Seasons in the Making - Thrillist - August 22nd, 2017
- HESCO Sponsor Zombie Invitational Shooting Competition (Multi-Video) - 18.104.22.168 (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Dead Snow 3 will feature 'Zombie-Hitler,' says director - EW.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Game of Thrones: Why Everyone on the Set Hated that Zombie Polar Bear - Vanity Fair - August 22nd, 2017
- China's Debt Swaps Surpass $100 Billion - Bloomberg - August 20th, 2017
- Community Download: Are You Tired Of Zombie VR Games? - UploadVR - August 20th, 2017
- Rob Zombie to host '13 Nights of Halloween' on HDNET MOVIES - EW.com - August 19th, 2017
- "The Art of Response: Zombie Preparedness" event coming to Abilene in October - Big Country Homepage - August 19th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero