What we are watching unfold in Washington is the continuing attempt by the Republican Senate to produce the grandfather of all Dracula bills.
Mitch McConnell, the majority leader of the Senate, has guided a process and policy alternatives designed to gut at best or do away with at worst the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare).
Remember, this act has been in effect for seven years; people depending upon its foundation programs for their everyday health needs. Tens of millions have been added to health care roles as a result of this act and they are in danger of losing their health insurance or cost out of it.
The repeal and/or replace acts produced by the Republican leadership were fashioned and written in the dark confines of the inner sanctums of the Senate. There was no light into the specifics of the bill because, like the legendary Dracula, it would die in the sunshine.
Hand picked Republican male members of the Senate sat down with special interest lobbyists from key industries wanting a more favorable bill.For example the hugely profitable pharmaceutical industry. One imagines the room was darkened to let in as little light as possible.
They wanted to get rid of the ACA that was formed over several months in the early Obama administration. The ACA had several committee hearings and grinding processes of debate and amending. Indeed, the Republicans were able to place over 180 amendments in the bill.
The ACA was put together in the light of the political system established to pass major legislation. Sure, it was a partisan process, but even though the Democrats had the votes to pass what they wanted, Republicans were able to affect portions of the ACA. All was done in the light of day.
Not so for the Republicans. All was left to the leadership of Mitch McConnell, the powerful majority leader of the Senate. And he went dark.
Once the bill was ready the bloodless group snuck onto the floor of the Senate late at night, there was no moon, and pressured the Republicans to vote to take the bill to the floor for votes.
Few knew what was in the bill; that would be too enlightening. Indeed, there seemed to be several iterations of the process. First, take up the House passed bill, then vote a substitute (the Senate inner sanctum bill) to be debated. Then amend that bill to try and get a majority vote.
This is a bill (though it keeps changing in the fog of debate) that will not dienot unlike you know who. Although it would take health insurance away from 23 million people (non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimates), take monies from Medicaid, and allow states to fiddle with requirements, among other dark consequences.
Central in the plan is to end the requirement of all to have health insurance.Without this there will not be enough money for any plan to keep insurance companies engaged.
Republicans are attempting to drain the lifes blood out of the ACA and in the process literally drain the life blood out of countless people who depend on this programs provisions.
This is written mid-week so who knows what has happened by the time you read this. Incidentally, our senator, Roy Blunt, is part of the GOP leadership and bears the marks of the dark legislation.
Ever notice how Mitch McConnells mouth hardly opens at all when he speaks? Those large eye teeth dont show. And I wonder where he keeps his black cape. Just saying
Richard Fulton is an emeritus professor of political science.
See the original post:
The Dracula process – Maryville Daily Forum
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - I Never Drink Wine (2/8) | Movieclips - December 1st, 2018
- Whitby Dracula, Connections Between Dracula, Whitby & Bram ... - November 30th, 2018
- Dracula | The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Wiki ... - November 30th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Watch Bram Stoker's Dracula | Prime Video - November 1st, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram ... - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Milwaukee Ballet - October 31st, 2018
- Dracula - Shmoop - October 31st, 2018
- Netflix & BBC One Board Dracula Series From Sherlock ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula TV Series Ordered at Netflix From Steven Moffat ... - October 17th, 2018
- Dracula Series from the Sherlock Team to Launch on BBC ... - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection [Blu-ray ... - September 27th, 2018
- Dracula (9/10) Movie CLIP - Dracula and Van Helsing (1931) HD ... - August 24th, 2018
- Dracula (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Bram Stoker ... - August 22nd, 2018
- Dracula Powers, Villains, History, & More | Marvel - August 22nd, 2018
- DraculaA Summary | Britannica.com - August 13th, 2018
- Dracula Part 3 | C-S-S-A.com Celebrity Sex Stories Archive - July 22nd, 2018
- Dracula (Signet Classics): Bram Stoker, Leonard Wolf ... - July 6th, 2018
- Dracula | Monster High Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - June 28th, 2018
- Book Summary - Written by Teachers - June 28th, 2018
- Dracula | Marvel's Avengers Assemble Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - June 24th, 2018
- Dracula | Count Dracula | Dracula - scribd.com - October 19th, 2017
- Dracula - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source ... - September 27th, 2017
- Dracula by Bram Stoker - September 26th, 2017
- Gene Causing Dracula-Like Appearance Points to Vampire Origins ... - Inverse - September 7th, 2017
- Wolfeboro dancers to participate in Northeastern Ballet Theatre's 'Dracula' Sept. 16 - Conway Daily Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to ... - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula in Vegas - DVD Talk - September 7th, 2017
- Dracula prequel in development with It director Andy Muschietti - Looper - September 6th, 2017
- Late Night Likens Trump to Dracula, Hitler; Invokes 'White Supremacy' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Dracula Prequel in Development at Paramount With 'It' Director Andy Muschietti - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Rakul Preet Singh visits the birthplace of Dracula - BizAsia - September 6th, 2017
- Resurrecting Dracula with a Shake and Stir - The Adelaide Review - September 5th, 2017
- Rakul Preet shoots at the birthplace of Dracula | Tamil Movie News ... - Times of India - September 5th, 2017
- The dark side of books - Isle of Man Today - September 3rd, 2017
- PFAA production of Dracula to begin - Waynesville Daily Guide - September 1st, 2017
- Water handicaps restoration work on 'Dracula' castle ... - Hurriyet Daily News - August 28th, 2017
- Breon Arzell to Star in The Hypocrites' DRACULA at Mercury Theater Chicago - Broadway World - August 26th, 2017
- Dracula Uses One Guitar and Two Voices to Haunt With Intensity - Miami New Times - August 24th, 2017
- Theatre Review: Sink your teeth into shake & stir's bloody brilliant adaption of Dracula (At Brisbane's QPAC to ... - the AU review (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Holland theater group performs musical version of Dracula - HollandSentinel.com - August 19th, 2017
- Strand Theatre to have Dracula in October - MDJOnline.com - August 19th, 2017
- Imagine Dracula in Charge of the Blood Bank - Daily Mirror - August 17th, 2017
- Report of Body Leads CA Firefighters to Dracula - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Rescuers discover body in Modesto creek is Dracula - SFGate - August 14th, 2017
- Gaslighters set 'Dracula, the Musical?' tryouts - TheReporter.Com - August 13th, 2017
- Firefighters responded to report of possible body in creek. They found Dracula. - Modesto Bee - August 11th, 2017
- A trip to Dracula's birthplace won't bleed you dry | Spectator Life - Spectator.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula - A Century of Film - Yorkton This Week - August 10th, 2017
- Dracula to appear at blood donor clinic in Peterborough on Sept. 9 - Peterborough Examiner - August 9th, 2017
- Peterborough Theatre Guild New Play Dracula Upcoming, Invites You To Visit Canadian Blood Services - PTBOCanada (press release) (blog) - August 8th, 2017
- Artist Uses Dracula To Make A Point About The NYC Immigrant Experience - Newsy - August 5th, 2017
- Marvel Unearthing The Tomb of Dracula - Dread Central - August 3rd, 2017
- Dracula entertains, but seems focused on playing into own hype: review - Toronto Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Win a double pass to Dracula in Brisbane - Daily Review - July 31st, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania takes aim at religion - Polygon - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Google Doodle salutes Oscar winner who conquered both 'Dracula' and male-dominated advertising - Washington Post - July 12th, 2017
- Netflix's 'Castlevania' Is 'Beauty and the Beast' If Belle Died - Inverse - July 11th, 2017
- Religion is just as dangerous as Dracula in Netflix's promising Castlevania - A.V. Club - July 11th, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania isn't a perfect video game adaptation, but it's on the right track - The Verge - July 8th, 2017
- Coming to a Small Screen Near You (Maybe) - Variety - July 6th, 2017
- Land of wonders, home of Dracula - Coast Reporter - July 6th, 2017
- Throwback Thursday: Dracula Resurrection DVS Gaming - DVS Gaming (registration) (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- The Shaw Festival to Sink Its Teeth Into Liz Lochhead's Seductive Adaptation of DRACULA - Broadway World - July 6th, 2017
- In Retrospect: Dracula (1931) - The Egalitarian - July 6th, 2017
- Gothic classic Dracula descends on Mount Isa - The North West Star - July 5th, 2017
- Netflix's Castlevania Cast Includes Preacher's Saint of Killers as Dracula! - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2017
- BBC 'Sherlock' Writers Drop The Detective Series For 'Dracula ... - moviepilot.com - June 29th, 2017
- Netflix Castlevania series reveals voice cast - Polygon - Polygon - June 29th, 2017
- A budget road trip through Dracula country - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2017
- Ever Wanted Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, or Dracula on Your ... - Dread Central - June 29th, 2017
- Syfy - Dracula Who? The Lessons Moffat should learn from his days ... - SYFY WIRE (blog) - June 27th, 2017
- Will Universal Bring Back Luke Evans's Dracula In The Dark ... - moviepilot.com - June 27th, 2017
- No, the new Dracula series from Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss is NOT "Dracula solves crimes" - DigitalSpy.com - June 26th, 2017
- Sherlock Team to Reunite for a Dracula TV Series - TownandCountrymag.com (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- Dracula TV Series On The Way From Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat ... - Box Office Buz (press release) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- Sherlock's Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat to write Dracula TV show - The Guardian - June 24th, 2017
- Rendezvous with Dracula promises laughs, screams - The West Australian - June 23rd, 2017
- Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss to give Dracula the Sherlock treatment - SYFY WIRE (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Sherlock team reuniting for new Dracula series - The Hindu - June 22nd, 2017
- Sherlock team reuniting for new Dracula series - The Hindu - The Hindu - June 22nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero