The moment has arrived. The Walking Dead is not waiting for a season or even midseason finale to send Rick Grimes off here in season 9, with tonight, episode 5, being Andrew Lincolns last on the show.
This is no secret or spoiler. AMC has been advertising the hell out of Ricks departure since the season began, even spelling out that yes, this is his very last episode ever, so you better tune in. But how Rick leaves the show is still a mystery to fans, and I thought Id go through the various options that are on the table for tonight. I havent watched my screener yet (Im about to), but here are some of the main theories about how Rick leaves The Walking Dead for good.
In A Body Bag
The most common thought is that Rick Grimes is, of course, going to die. We have more or less never seen a character leave The Walking Dead without dying to this point, the exceptions being Heath who simply disappeared several seasons ago, or Morgan who went over to Fear the Walking Dead. So its kind of expected that Rick will die in some fashion.
My hope that is if we are going down this path, one that gives some sense of finality to his arc, that Rick at least gets a few moments of badassery to go out on. This would require him getting off the rebar, fighting his way through a horde and saving his friends before he dies in some epic way that is hopefully better and more memorable than what we saw with Madison on Fear the Walking Dead.
This feels like it would be the most fitting end for his character, a heroic sacrifice, but possibly also the most predictable, so perhaps this wont happen and well get some sort of a curveball.
As A Walker
This is definitely the most bleak theory, but its possible and could be a part of The Walking Deads newfound artistic vision. We know that in this episode Rick is going to be hallucinating bits and pieces of his old life, including some past, now-dead characters who show up to say hello.
What all this could be leading to is that whatever journey Rick is on, in the end, he never gets off the rebar and it was all in his head. And the last we see of Rick is him turned into a walker on the rebar, or a walker wandering around the area having pulled himself off post-mortem. A walker version of Rick would be the most haunting, harrowing image in the shows history, and would be a bit of a bookend with Shane. And all these hallucinations could also imply that zombies are reliving parts of their old lives in their minds as they stagger around as monsters.
Thisseems a little heavy for The Walking Dead if you ask me, and Id be pretty surprised if we see Walker Rick before the night is out, where Daryl or Michonne is forced to kill him. If Rick dies it may be bleak, but Im not sure it needs to be that bleak.
In A Helicopter
This has been a long, long running fan theory, that this entire Jadis/helicopter plotline could be leading up to Ricks non-lethal exit from the show. We have learned in recent episode that this mystery group is trading Jadis supplies for As and Bs, different types of people that are right now by best guess, leaders and followers.
Rick is clearly a leader, and has previously been listed as an A by Jadis when he was captured. The idea here is that Jadis and her helicopter friends manage to find Rick either on the rebar or stumbling around after getting off the rebar and abduct him. This would be a way for Rick to leave with the potential to return, but it does create some problems.
You have to think about how this would affect the rest of the cast. If the group A) saw Rick taken, the rest of the series would almost have to be about them trying to find and rescue him, but we know they cant if hes leaving the show. If B) no one saw Rick taken, then he would simply disappear like Glenn was going to during his fake death, which doesnt make much narrative sense, and everyone would still be looking for him. Would we really have a time jump and just have everyone be like well, I wonder whatever happened to that old Rick Grimes? as that would be weird. But perhaps theres a way to make this all work somehow.
All of these theories end with Rick leaving the show, if not permanently, at least for an extremely long time if he shows up in the finale in some dream or flashback or final appearance or whatever. Its a sad day for the show, but the best we can hope for now is that they manage to get this hugely important send-off right.
Follow meon Twitter,FacebookandInstagram.Read my new sci-fi thriller novelHerokiller, available now in print and online. I also wroteThe Earthborn Trilogy.
Read the rest here:
Body Bag, Walker Or Helicopter: How Will Rick Grimes Leave …
- Daryl Now Has A Dog On 'The Walking Dead' So ... - forbes.com - November 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Recap Season 9 Episode 5: Does Rick Die? - November 10th, 2018
- 'Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln ('Rick Grimes') Fate ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Trailer for Next Episodes Teases Whisperers ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln to return for Rick Grimes ... - November 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Bids Farewell to Lauren Cohans Maggie ... - November 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Says Goodbye to Andrew Lincoln. Sort Of ... - November 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Shocker: Future of Franchise Revealed ... - November 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead spoilers: Rick Grimes' final episode, death ... - November 3rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 4, Recap: Negan and ... - November 2nd, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead': Producers, start figuring out how to ... - November 2nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 4 "The Obliged" Recap ... - November 1st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Made Another Bizarre Mistake After Last ... - October 31st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Might've Spoiled A Twist About Rick ... - October 29th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead': Will Rick and Michonne Have a Child ... - October 26th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 3 Recap: [Spoiler ... - October 23rd, 2018
- Scott Wilson of The Walking Dead Remembered at Memorial - October 23rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season on Steam - October 23rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9: Andrew Lincoln exit in episode 6 ... - October 20th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Takes A Killer Hit As Ratings Fall To ... - October 20th, 2018
- This Was The Most Shocking Thing About 'The Walking Dead ... - October 17th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Falling Ratings Are About To Get A Whole ... - October 15th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Recap: Season 9 Premiere [Spoiler ... - October 11th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 Premiere Addresses One Of Its ... - October 9th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Premiere's Big Death Is Finally The Right ... - October 9th, 2018
- "The Walking Dead" actor Scott Wilson dies at 76 - CBS News - October 8th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Actor Scott Wilson Dies at 76 | TMZ.com - October 7th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Norman Reedus says big deaths are coming ... - October 5th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Spoilers: Rick and Maggie Exit ... - October 2nd, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Confirms Maggie Will Leave, But Not Die ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Andrew Lincoln could be returning to The Walking Dead to ... - September 29th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Spoilers: Scott Gimple Talks ... - September 29th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Our World - September 27th, 2018
- The Walking Dead - Cast - AMC - September 25th, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead - Wikipedia - September 23rd, 2018
- A New The Walking Dead Trailer Teases The Resurrection ... - September 17th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Teaser Promises New Beginnings - September 16th, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9 spoilers: Rick Grimes exit to begin ... - September 12th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Premiere Is Getting Extended | TV Guide - September 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Is Adding a New Pet | TV Guide - September 6th, 2018
- [PHOTOS] The Walking Dead: No Negan in Season 9 ... - September 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Boss Talks Maggie As a Working Mother - September 1st, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Teaser: There's Dissension in Rick ... - August 30th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Casts Sons of Anarchy's Ryan Hurst as the ... - August 30th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Casts 'Remember the Titans' Star Ryan ... - August 28th, 2018
- The Walking Dead (season 8) - Wikipedia - August 26th, 2018
- Check Out These New Photos From 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 - August 24th, 2018
- 'Fear The Walking Dead' Season 4, Episode 9 Review: Flying ... - August 18th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan Talks Leaving Maggie Behind ... - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Negan Joining Tekken 7 as Playable ... - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: 10 big spoilers for season 9 - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9: Rick Grimes exit will be ... - August 4th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln reveals why he is leaving ... - August 1st, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead Season, Episode and Cast Information ... - August 1st, 2018
- Comic-Con 2018: The Walking Dead Season 9 -- Andrew Lincoln ... - July 25th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Casts Nadia Hilker as Magna for Season 9 ... - July 25th, 2018
- Walking Dead Creator Addresses Andrew Lincoln Series ... - July 22nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Are Carol and Ezekiel About to Romance ... - July 22nd, 2018
- New Walking Dead season 9 trailer, release date drop at ... - July 22nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Will Rick and Maggie Fight in Season 9 ... - July 21st, 2018
- Comic-Con 2018: The Walking Dead Season 9 -- What We Know ... - July 21st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Unveils Season 9 Trailer, Premiere Date ... - July 21st, 2018
- Andrew Lincoln opens up about leaving "The Walking Dead ... - July 21st, 2018
- 7 Lingering The Walking Dead Mysteries We Need Solved ... - July 21st, 2018
- The Walking Dead: See Norman Reedus in season 9 first look ... - July 15th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Season 8, Episode 1 - AMC - July 13th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season, Episode and Cast Information - AMC - July 9th, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead: How to Watch - Today's News: Our ... - July 9th, 2018
- The Walking Dead spoilers: Rick faces new threats in Season 9 - July 3rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Chandler Riggs Reacts To Andrew Lincoln ... - July 3rd, 2018
- Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Vol. 18 (8601200668568 ... - July 2nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Is Shane Returning for Season 9? - Today ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Jon Bernthal Returns to The Walking Dead in Season 9 as ... - June 22nd, 2018
- Jon Bernthal returning to The Walking Dead | EW.com - June 22nd, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead (season 4) - Wikipedia - June 22nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season, Episode and Cast ... - amc.com - June 18th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Plans Crossover With Fear The Walking ... - October 14th, 2017
- 'The Walking Dead' will finally cross over with 'Fear,' says ... - October 9th, 2017
- The Walking Dead season 8 will feature "some big deaths" that ... - September 26th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero