We get it. Things arent looking great for Rick Grimes.
The last we saw him, Andrew Lincolns character was riding around on his white horse, a la Khaleesi, trying to lead the zombie herds away from the super sick camp theyve all built, where everyone happily gets along during the times when theres not a mutiny.
But Ricks horse got spooked when another large zombie herd showed up, throwing him off so violently he gets impaled by some metal sticking out of concrete rubble. Rick passed out as the two large herds closed in.
It sure seemed like a cliffhanger. Were heading into Ricks last episode after all. However, Walking Dead mightve already spoiled how Rick survives the latest chaos.
In a trailer that aired at San Diego Comic-Con over summer, a few different shots might have given away Ricks fate.Ive scoured footage from the previous Season 9 episodes and cant find the scenes anywhere, which leads me to believe theyve yet to air.
One of the moments is a quick clip in which Rick appears to be waking up as a zombie approaches, gaining consciousness just in time to possibly thwart an attack. (Hey, it could just be Norman Reedus stirring him up in the morning to say hello. But Id lean toward the former.)
Another shot shows someone in boots, leaking blood out all willy nilly, seemingly walking on that bridge Rick cared so much about building all season. If those are Ricks boots, it means he somehow picked himself off the metal bar that impaled him. As long as hes had his tetanus shot, our boys got a chance!
It also plays into the next shot from the trailer.
OK, the coup de grce. Theres no question who were looking at in this one. Its Mr. Grimes favoring the side of his body thats been spouting blood everywhere. Hes just chillin on the bridge while his friends run to the rescue. Yay!
But wait. They cant come to the rescue. Weve been told over and over again in AMC marketing that Rick is off the show and next Sundays episode is his last.
Lincoln recently wrote a long goodbye letter to the media, in which he waxed poetic on his wild ride. So what gives?
AMC/HuffPost photoAndrew Lincoln’s goodbye letter.
There are a few potential answers.
If these trailer shots do spoil whats happening in Episode 5, its possible they are all just Ricks hallucination as hes dying. The promo for Ricks final episode showed him revisiting some past Walking Dead locations, which could be part of a fever dream. We also know a lot of past characters are appearing on the show in Season 9, including Jon Bernthals Shane and Scott Wilsons Hershel. Characters on Walking Dead have hallucinated on deaths doorstep before, and itd make sense to include some of those returning ones in Ricks sendoff.
To top it off, everything about these shots seems a lot like An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. Just as the Confederate plantation owner in that late 19th-century short story falsely imagines escaping the noose, perhaps Rick is imagining escaping the zombies when hes actually set to become a buffet. Oh, and theres a bridge.
If the shots dont amount to a hallucination, Ricks story could be left open-ended.
At San Diego Comic-Con, Lincoln said his relationship with Rick is far from over. Meanwhile, his letter to the press ends with the phrase, Until our paths cross again.
If Ricks story is left open, perhaps he slips into a coma from the blood loss, leaving the show the same way his character came in.
My personal theory is that the group of people whove been operating the mysterious helicopter tasked Jadis (Pollyanna McIntosh) with capturing victims as an experiment. The captives are deliberately infected with the zombie virus, and then used as test animals for a cure. As part of the experiment, the group needs the victims they label A (Alphas?), because they are assumed to be strong enough to survive a bite. Rick is certainly an A, so it would make sense that the helicopter people would attempt to save him,were he bitten by a zombie, in an effort to further their experiment.
Or theres also this bizarre yet amazing theory from a Reddituser claiming the helicopter people are actual helicopters, like the cars in Pixar movies:
Five helicopters will surround Ricks dying body, and theyll explain they can save him, but theyll need to change him. Holding back tears, Michonne agrees, and the surgery begins.
Later, Rick wakes up, and hes okay, but now hes a helicopter too. He and the other helicopters fly away from Alexandria and into the sunset. As he flies away, Maggie says I believe in Copter Grimes.
Is it a hallucination? Is it literal helicopter people? Will he roll under a dumpster at the last minute? Well find out next Sunday. Until then, Copter Grimes.
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season Will Return In January ... - December 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 8 Recap: Jesus Dies as ... - November 28th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 7 Review: 'Stradivarius' - November 25th, 2018
- Maggie's Exit From 'The Walking Dead' Is Weird, Much ... - November 21st, 2018
- The Walking Dead (Video Game) - November 20th, 2018
- The Walking Dead - Wrath: Season 8, Episode 16 - AMC - November 16th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9, Episode 6 Review: A Brave New Show - November 15th, 2018
- Daryl Now Has A Dog On 'The Walking Dead' So ... - forbes.com - November 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Recap Season 9 Episode 5: Does Rick Die? - November 10th, 2018
- 'Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln ('Rick Grimes') Fate ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Trailer for Next Episodes Teases Whisperers ... - November 10th, 2018
- Walking Dead Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln to return for Rick Grimes ... - November 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Bids Farewell to Lauren Cohans Maggie ... - November 8th, 2018
- Body Bag, Walker Or Helicopter: How Will Rick Grimes Leave ... - November 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Says Goodbye to Andrew Lincoln. Sort Of ... - November 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Shocker: Future of Franchise Revealed ... - November 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead spoilers: Rick Grimes' final episode, death ... - November 3rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 4, Recap: Negan and ... - November 2nd, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead': Producers, start figuring out how to ... - November 2nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 4 "The Obliged" Recap ... - November 1st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Made Another Bizarre Mistake After Last ... - October 31st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead': Will Rick and Michonne Have a Child ... - October 26th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 3 Recap: [Spoiler ... - October 23rd, 2018
- Scott Wilson of The Walking Dead Remembered at Memorial - October 23rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season on Steam - October 23rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9: Andrew Lincoln exit in episode 6 ... - October 20th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Takes A Killer Hit As Ratings Fall To ... - October 20th, 2018
- This Was The Most Shocking Thing About 'The Walking Dead ... - October 17th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Falling Ratings Are About To Get A Whole ... - October 15th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Recap: Season 9 Premiere [Spoiler ... - October 11th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 Premiere Addresses One Of Its ... - October 9th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Premiere's Big Death Is Finally The Right ... - October 9th, 2018
- "The Walking Dead" actor Scott Wilson dies at 76 - CBS News - October 8th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Actor Scott Wilson Dies at 76 | TMZ.com - October 7th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Norman Reedus says big deaths are coming ... - October 5th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Spoilers: Rick and Maggie Exit ... - October 2nd, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Confirms Maggie Will Leave, But Not Die ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Andrew Lincoln could be returning to The Walking Dead to ... - September 29th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Spoilers: Scott Gimple Talks ... - September 29th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Our World - September 27th, 2018
- The Walking Dead - Cast - AMC - September 25th, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead - Wikipedia - September 23rd, 2018
- A New The Walking Dead Trailer Teases The Resurrection ... - September 17th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Teaser Promises New Beginnings - September 16th, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9 spoilers: Rick Grimes exit to begin ... - September 12th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Premiere Is Getting Extended | TV Guide - September 8th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Is Adding a New Pet | TV Guide - September 6th, 2018
- [PHOTOS] The Walking Dead: No Negan in Season 9 ... - September 6th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Boss Talks Maggie As a Working Mother - September 1st, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Teaser: There's Dissension in Rick ... - August 30th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Casts Sons of Anarchy's Ryan Hurst as the ... - August 30th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Casts 'Remember the Titans' Star Ryan ... - August 28th, 2018
- The Walking Dead (season 8) - Wikipedia - August 26th, 2018
- Check Out These New Photos From 'The Walking Dead' Season 9 - August 24th, 2018
- 'Fear The Walking Dead' Season 4, Episode 9 Review: Flying ... - August 18th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan Talks Leaving Maggie Behind ... - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Negan Joining Tekken 7 as Playable ... - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: 10 big spoilers for season 9 - August 11th, 2018
- The Walking Dead season 9: Rick Grimes exit will be ... - August 4th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln reveals why he is leaving ... - August 1st, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead Season, Episode and Cast Information ... - August 1st, 2018
- Comic-Con 2018: The Walking Dead Season 9 -- Andrew Lincoln ... - July 25th, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Casts Nadia Hilker as Magna for Season 9 ... - July 25th, 2018
- Walking Dead Creator Addresses Andrew Lincoln Series ... - July 22nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Are Carol and Ezekiel About to Romance ... - July 22nd, 2018
- New Walking Dead season 9 trailer, release date drop at ... - July 22nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Will Rick and Maggie Fight in Season 9 ... - July 21st, 2018
- Comic-Con 2018: The Walking Dead Season 9 -- What We Know ... - July 21st, 2018
- 'The Walking Dead' Unveils Season 9 Trailer, Premiere Date ... - July 21st, 2018
- Andrew Lincoln opens up about leaving "The Walking Dead ... - July 21st, 2018
- 7 Lingering The Walking Dead Mysteries We Need Solved ... - July 21st, 2018
- The Walking Dead: See Norman Reedus in season 9 first look ... - July 15th, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Season 8, Episode 1 - AMC - July 13th, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season, Episode and Cast Information - AMC - July 9th, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead: How to Watch - Today's News: Our ... - July 9th, 2018
- The Walking Dead spoilers: Rick faces new threats in Season 9 - July 3rd, 2018
- The Walking Dead's Chandler Riggs Reacts To Andrew Lincoln ... - July 3rd, 2018
- Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Vol. 18 (8601200668568 ... - July 2nd, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Is Shane Returning for Season 9? - Today ... - June 22nd, 2018
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero