WITH their sharp fangs and predilection for blood, vampires have become the stuff of legends.
But are they really a myth – or is there truth behind the pale skin and tortured souls?
Could an individual, cursed to eternal life while having to feed on human blood and not being able to see their own reflection or be caught on camera (what, no selfies?!) exist?
Could these predators, who are able to travel faster than the speed of light but not enter a home without being invited in, really walk this earth?
We’ll let you make your own mind up about that one.
However, there certainly are individuals who do believe they have the dangerous traits of a vampire.
“Vampire killer” Mathew Hardman murdered an elderly woman and drank her blood in North Wales in 2001.
The tragic widow, 90, was found with 22 stab wounds and her heart had been removed and placed in a saucepan on a silver platter.
And in one recent case, a teenager let her drunk boyfriend cut her arm and drink her blood while discussing vampires, before stabbinghim during an argument.
Victoria Vanatter, a 19-year-old from Missouri, has pleaded not guilty to domestic assault after the attack with police revealing they had found “I’m sorry” scrawled in blood in the room.
The teen allegedly confessed to investigators that she regularly cut herself to drink her own blood.
But the teen is not the only one to claim to enjoy drinking blood.
In another case, a paedophilevampire had sex with a 14-year-old girl in a Catholic church before drinking her blood in a twisted sex game.
The paedophile Jonathan Davis slit young girl’s wrists, licking their blood in deranged games.
The man often shared photographs of himself on social media, posing with swords and knives appearing to be covered in blood.
Other cases include that of Tracey Wigginton with the woman jailed for nearly 23 years for the brutal murder of a man in Queensland, Australia.
The woman became known as the lesbian vampire killer after she and three other women lured a man into a car before stabbing him 27 times and drinking his bloood.
Recently released from prison, the woman is said to be remorseful for her crimes.
Not all people claiming to be vampires, or being fascinated with the idea of drinking blood, have violent tendencies.
Georgina Condon, 39, from Brisbane, Australia,has drunk the blood of willing donors for more than 20 years.
The woman started drinking blood when she was just 12-years-old, slowly becoming more vampire-like by lightening her skin with talcum powder.
While claiming she drank the blood of her loving boyfriend, she admitted he didn’t like it.
People have claimed to enjoy drinking human blood with hundreds of forums springing up online to help people locate “donors”.
“Vampires” have shared their stories of how they realised they shared more in common with the mythical creatures than humans, with many trading tips on how to feed and how to find people willing to have their blood drunk.
Joseph Laycock, an assistant professor of religion at Texas State University, has said there were many types of vampire.
He said: “Most vampires say that feeding helps them to sustain their health.
“Sanguinarians consume blood while psychic vampires believe they absorb the ‘subtle energy’ or life force from other living things. There are also ‘hybrid’ vampires who engage in both types of feeding.
DrEmyr Williams, a psychology lecturer from Glyndwr University, has claimed there could be up to 15,000 vampires living in the UK.
Speaking to the Daily Star, he said: “Some books say there are between 10,000 and 15,000 people in the UK who call themselves vampires, with maybe another 30,000 being donors.”
Let’s hope they’re all as good-looking as Edward Cullen.
Folklore has portrayed vampires as undead beings who feast on the blood of innocent people.
But the legends of blood-sucking vampires could have been based on real people, experts have revealed.
A team of scientists at Boston Children’s Hospitalbelieve a rare genetic mutation could have caused some people to display traits of “vampires”, leading to the fictitious characters we know about today.
The condition erythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP), is a blood disorder that affects kids, causing their skin to become very sensitive to light.
The condition affects the body’s ability to make heme, which helps make haemoglobin – part of our blood that helps carry oxygen.
It means their iron levels are too low.
Dr Barry Paw of the Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center explained: “It makes them feel very tired and look very pale with increased photosensitivity because they can’t come out in the daylight.”
EYE OF THE STORM Richard Branson reveals Hurricane Imra has completely and utterly devastated Necker Island
ATTRACTING A CROWD Naked woman parades through city to prove she would be left alone – only to be hounded by a sleazy group of men
RED HOT WILLY PEPPA Dad notices something very rude on Peppa Pig ice lollies
THAT’S MY BOY! Proud Wills says Prince George’s first day at school went ‘well’ and jokes he was lucky to avoid a tantrum – as schoolbag reveals his surname will be Cambridge
PENPOINTING CANCER New ‘pen’ allows surgeons to detect cancer in 10 SECONDS
HOCUS POTUS Tens of thousands of witches join forces every month to cast a spell on Donald Trump to ‘protect the world’
- 'Vampire facial': 2 infected with HIV after New Mexico spa ... - May 1st, 2019
- Nina Dobrev Is Tired of Vampire Scripts, and Is Trying ... - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | Buffyverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | Forgotten Realms Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | TibiaWiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Play Immortal Night for Free Vampire Games - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | JoJo's Bizarre Encyclopedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire: The Masquerade | White Wolf | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire - AQW - April 9th, 2019
- 15 years later, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 is ... - March 27th, 2019
- Vampire | True Blood Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 17th, 2019
- Luke Perry, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer ... - indiewire.com - March 5th, 2019
- Vampire | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 3rd, 2019
- Vampire (Skyrim) | Elder Scrolls | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 3rd, 2019
- Vampire Queen Series | Storywitch.com - March 1st, 2019
- Vampirism - Become a vampire! - Minecraft CurseForge - March 1st, 2019
- Omega Vampire - The Visual Novel Database - March 1st, 2019
- What We Do In the Shadows To Premiere At SXSW With Pop ... - March 1st, 2019
- Vampiric Breeds | Constructed Mythology | FANDOM powered ... - March 1st, 2019
- Am I a vampire for real? | Yahoo Answers - March 1st, 2019
- Vampire clubs Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 1st, 2019
- Vampire | Yu-Gi-Oh! | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 22nd, 2019
- Vampire | The Vampire Diaries Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 8th, 2019
- Vampire Slayer | Old School RuneScape Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Underworld Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | High School DxD Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire Facial Procedure | Official Website | Reviews | Find ... - January 29th, 2019
- Immortal Day Vampire Games Play 4 Free at ImmortalDay.com - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Overlord Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Blade Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Priest Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Castlevania Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire - Monsters - D&D Beyond - January 9th, 2019
- Vampire | Vampire Knight Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 13th, 2018
- Vampire | Warhammer Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
- The Sun for the Vampire - Play it now at Coolmath-Games.com - November 10th, 2018
- The Vampire (1957) - IMDb - November 2nd, 2018
- The 50 Best Vampire Movies of All Time - CRAVE - October 31st, 2018
- Vampire - MTG Wiki - October 5th, 2018
- Vampire Rave is for Real Vampires - September 24th, 2018
- Caroline Forbes | The Vampire Diaries Wiki | FANDOM ... - September 18th, 2018
- Spike | Buffyverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 18th, 2018
- Welcome - Camping Vampire Bran - September 7th, 2018
- Vampire (WOD) | White Wolf | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 13th, 2018
- Vampire films - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2018
- Clan | Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Wiki | FANDOM ... - July 30th, 2018
- Vampire | Charmed | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 5th, 2018
- Vampire Facelift | Reviews - June 29th, 2018
- Vampire | D&D 5th Edition on Roll20 Compendium - June 18th, 2018
- Real / Living Vampire Glossary of Terminology - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Twilight vampire sheds his heartthrob image - Helena Independent Record - September 7th, 2017
- 'Vampire Diaries' actor Michael Malarkey debuts haunting new album, 'Mongrels'exclusive - Alternative Press - September 7th, 2017
- New Genetic Discovery Explains The Skin-Blistering 'Vampire' Disease - ScienceAlert - September 7th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig is apparently making an anime for ... - AV Club - September 6th, 2017
- Ex-Vampire Weekender Rostam Batmanglij Finds Fresh Ways to Subvert Pop - L.A. Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Rostam Finds His Own Voice On The Tender New Single 'Half-Light' - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig announces an anime series for Netflix - The Daily Dot - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire - Manga - MyAnimeList.net - September 6th, 2017
- Joe Arpaio is a vampire that feeds on Mexicans (AKA Tlahuelpuchi) - Oaklandpostonline - September 6th, 2017
- A homeless wannabe vampire ripped off a pigeon's head and chugged its blood - Rare.us - September 2nd, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Spreads Positive Messages About Beauty On Social ... - moviepilot.com - September 2nd, 2017
- A break from the usual bloodsuckers - Harvard Gazette - September 2nd, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries' Penelope Mitchell Joins Hellboy Reboot - Dread Central - September 1st, 2017
- Harvard Film Archive to host vampire movie marathon over Labor Day weekend - The Boston Globe - September 1st, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the mullets of The Lost Boys - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Homeless man claiming to be vampire rips pigeon's head off, drinks blood in Bryant Park - New York Daily News - August 31st, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Former Mastermind Rostam Batmanglij is Flying Solo - Out Magazine - August 31st, 2017
- Maniac beheads pigeons, drinks their blood in crowded park - New York Post - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy Reboot Casts Vampire Diaries Alum Penelope Mitchell - CBR (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy adds The Vampire Diaries actress Penelope Mitchell - Yahoo Movies UK - August 31st, 2017
- Como jugar blackjack en casa - Vampire weekend casino de paris - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire Diaries' star Nina Dobrev gets candid on going makeup-free, current politic climate: 'It scares me' - Fox News - August 28th, 2017
- Is Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' a Vampire Movie? - Bloody Disgusting - August 26th, 2017
- Star Trek Writers to Adapt A People's History of the Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek US - August 24th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the many, many pants of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Just Had A Low-Key "Vampire Diaries" Reunion - TeenVogue.com - August 24th, 2017
- This New Podcast About Melbourne's Vampire Gigolo Murder Will Make You Question Everything - Triple M - August 24th, 2017
- My Pretty Vampire's Cartoonish Violence - The Portland Mercury - August 24th, 2017
- "Vampire Princess Miyu" Character Designer's Lithograph Exhibition Coming This Fall - Crunchyroll News - August 24th, 2017
- Matthew Goode to Play Lead Vampire in 'A Discovery of Witches' - Anglophenia - August 24th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero