You might recognize the face: Michael Malarkey is well known for playing the brooding vampire Enzo on The Vampire Diaries. But for Malarkey, writing has always been one of his favorite outlets, and thats made evident through his debut LP, Mongrels,which we’re exclusively debuting before it’s official release tomorrow, Sept. 8. And although it’s his first full-length, Mongrelsis far from the start of Malarkeys music career.
I dont want people to think that Im just an actor who records shit albums on the side. This is very much my life and my heart in this album, Malarkey explains. Its scary too because youre revealing a lot about yourself. If people who are poetically-minded are paying attention, theyre going to be reading a bit of an autobiography.
His first emotional connection to music stemmed from his love of the Beatles as a child. From punk band frontman to poetic lyricist,Malarkey had crafted five albums worth of songs before releasing his debut EP, Feed The Flames, back in 2014. With a sophomore EP, Knots,released in 2015, Malarkey was prepared to craft his formal full-length debut, telling the story of restlessnessa theme ever so apparent for Malarkey. Whittling through 50 demos and creating a tracklisting that just felt right, Mongrelswas formed.
Thematically, what I settled on was this idea of the mongrelthe restlessness. This sense of longing and hope, but sadness. This sense of looking out and feeling that emptiness and need to move. I think these have been running themes in my life, and that’s what I wanted to portray with Mongrels, Malarkey explains. But, in a way, Mongrels is a dark place. I had a bit of a darkness come over me when I was writing a lot of these songs. Its about pressing through that. The photo on the cover is in the woods, and the video for Mongrels, you see me going into those woods. Basically its this idea of pressing on, going through and coming out the other side.
For Malarkey, this entire process has been one of self-discovery. A series of happy accidents. And, most importantly, a full-length release he’s excited to share with the world.
It [songwriting] was a form of poetic journalism for me, Malarkey explains. Mongrels is all over the place. Its a dark little terrain. People say, Why do you make such sad music? Youre such an upbeat, positive dude, and Im like, Well, its because I do that that Im able to be like that.
Stream Mongrels below, and read a Q&A with Malarkey on his history in the scene, transition from screaming to indie-laden Americana and his love for live shows below.
You might be most known as an actor, but you have quite a history with music. What are some of your earliest memories involving musicand what made you want to become a musician?I found an old Beatles cassette tape; I think it was called something like Beatles love songs. The first song was Michelle, and I actually had a crush on this girl named Michelle at the time. I remember listening to that whole tape and being all young and dumb, and that was my first relationship with musicfrom an emotional perspective. How it made me feel and going through the journey of those songs. That lead me to listen to music that way ever since.
When I went to high school, my first real obsession with wanting to make music came from the punk/ska/hardcore scene. I was skateboarding, doing graffiti, and going to shows and crowd surfing. It was the unity of the sceneit was aggressive with love and support for everybody, but it was mostly just having a great time. At that point I really had the idea that I wanted to sing in a band.
Now, of course, your music doesnt involve screaming anymore. So where did you notice the transition into the more blues-y folk that you produce now?It was just a progressive thing, for a few different reasons. I remember once, sitting at my buddys house and looking through his dads old records, and he had a lot of Neil Young, James Taylor, that kind of stuff. One of the records I picked was Tom Waits Rain Dogs. I remember putting that on and being completely floored by the sound. It was such a clash of different influences, but it all held together with his poetry and crazy theatrical delivery. And I remember responding to that idea of theatricality, that you dont actually only have to sing from a place of truth. You can tell stories. Writing is one of my favorite things to do. Ive written ten songs since Ive been in Puerto Rico. I have a whole other album ready. [laughs]
And for someone who maybe hasnt listened to your music before, how would you describe your sound? Who has influenced you?Id say if Bright Eyes and Nick Cave were playing checkers. [laughs] Elliott Smith and Tom Waits have been big influences of mine. Leonard Cohen has been a huge influence to meI love that man. The National, theyre from near where I grew up in Ohio. Oh, and dont forget Sparklehorse. And theres this country-ish vibe, too. I dont know who did that to me.
Prior to Mongrels, you released two EPs. What was your mindset heading into those first two releases?I had three full-length albums even before those that I never released. When I started, I just wanted to make music for my friends and my family. I never really thought about going out and doing something with it. With Feed The Flames and Knots, I was just at a point where I knew the direction I was pushing this.
Going into this first full-length can be daunting, and because youre constantly writing, how did you decide what you wanted the records story to be and pick out the few songs to do just that?Its difficult because these songs are like a litter of kittens. You dont want to give them the axeyou love them all, individually, for their own little character and qualities. Specifically for Mongrels, I was going through 50 demos with Tom [Tapley] in the studio, and we were whittling it down. It was a three-tier cut system because it was so hard. Once we had whittled down all the songs that we were thinking of, I went through and listened to them with the mindset of synergizing the project. What story am I telling here, putting them in different orders.
Since it’s a somewhat spontaneous process, were there any happy accidents that made it on the albumsomething you werent planning that kind of just fell into place while you were working on it?Plenty of them. This whole project has been subtitled Happy Accidents. [laughs] I met the cellist who plays on the record at the airport, right after I got off the phone with my manager saying, We couldnt fly your cellist in. So I was like, Fuck, I need a cellist. I go grab a smoothie, and theres a girl in front of me with a cello. I ask, What are you doing at the end of the month? She listened to my stuff, she wanted to play on the record and she did a great job.
Also, Girl On The Moon, the second track on the record, was initially more of a bummer. It was more like Lua, from Bright Eyes, but we ended up turning it into this 60s pop-country, driving down the Pacific highway kind of vibe. It turned into more of a hopeful song, and we need some more of those Malarkey songs, to be honest. [laughs]In the studio, I really want musicians to fuck around first. Sometimes Ill give them a moodlike just make it more drunken, you know? Take the edge off it and see what we get. I like the spontaneity and the collaborative nature of making music.
Youre taking this album on the road. How excited are you for people to hear it come to life?Im very much looking forward to getting these songs on the road. Music for me is about sharing. Its about having an experience with people. It started back from being a punk kid and going to those shows, and theres nothing I love more than being there in that room with people and that whole world falls away and youre just having that moment. Its a beautiful thing.
Catch Malarkey on tour this fall, and preorder his album here.
Mongrelswill be released Friday, Sept. 8.
Tour dates:10/23 – Cardiff, Clwb Ifor Bach10/24 – Norwich, Epic Studios10/25 – Manchester, Star & Garter10/26 – Liverpool, Studio 210/27 – Leeds, Brudenell Social Club10/28 – London, Thousand Island10/29 – London, Thousand Island11/24 – Barcelona, Sala Bikini11/26 – Warsaw, BARdzo Bardzo11/27 – Prague, NoD11/28 – Berlin, Privatclub11/29 – Cologne, Studio 67211/30 – Amsterdam, Melkweg12/1 – Hasselt, Cafe Cafe12/2 – Paris, Point phmre
What are your thoughts on Mongrels? Let us know in the comments below!
- Vampire - Monsters - D&D Beyond - January 9th, 2019
- Vampire | Vampire Knight Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 13th, 2018
- Vampire | Warhammer Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
- The Sun for the Vampire - Play it now at Coolmath-Games.com - November 10th, 2018
- The Vampire (1957) - IMDb - November 2nd, 2018
- The 50 Best Vampire Movies of All Time - CRAVE - October 31st, 2018
- Vampire - MTG Wiki - October 5th, 2018
- Vampire Rave is for Real Vampires - September 24th, 2018
- Caroline Forbes | The Vampire Diaries Wiki | FANDOM ... - September 18th, 2018
- Spike | Buffyverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 18th, 2018
- Welcome - Camping Vampire Bran - September 7th, 2018
- Vampire (WOD) | White Wolf | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 13th, 2018
- Vampire films - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2018
- Clan | Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Wiki | FANDOM ... - July 30th, 2018
- Vampire | Charmed | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 5th, 2018
- Vampire Facelift | Reviews - June 29th, 2018
- Vampire | D&D 5th Edition on Roll20 Compendium - June 18th, 2018
- Real / Living Vampire Glossary of Terminology - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Twilight vampire sheds his heartthrob image - Helena Independent Record - September 7th, 2017
- Are vampires real, do they really drink human blood and how many ... - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- New Genetic Discovery Explains The Skin-Blistering 'Vampire' Disease - ScienceAlert - September 7th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig is apparently making an anime for ... - AV Club - September 6th, 2017
- Ex-Vampire Weekender Rostam Batmanglij Finds Fresh Ways to Subvert Pop - L.A. Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Rostam Finds His Own Voice On The Tender New Single 'Half-Light' - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig announces an anime series for Netflix - The Daily Dot - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire - Manga - MyAnimeList.net - September 6th, 2017
- Joe Arpaio is a vampire that feeds on Mexicans (AKA Tlahuelpuchi) - Oaklandpostonline - September 6th, 2017
- A homeless wannabe vampire ripped off a pigeon's head and chugged its blood - Rare.us - September 2nd, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Spreads Positive Messages About Beauty On Social ... - moviepilot.com - September 2nd, 2017
- A break from the usual bloodsuckers - Harvard Gazette - September 2nd, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries' Penelope Mitchell Joins Hellboy Reboot - Dread Central - September 1st, 2017
- Harvard Film Archive to host vampire movie marathon over Labor Day weekend - The Boston Globe - September 1st, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the mullets of The Lost Boys - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Homeless man claiming to be vampire rips pigeon's head off, drinks blood in Bryant Park - New York Daily News - August 31st, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Former Mastermind Rostam Batmanglij is Flying Solo - Out Magazine - August 31st, 2017
- Maniac beheads pigeons, drinks their blood in crowded park - New York Post - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy Reboot Casts Vampire Diaries Alum Penelope Mitchell - CBR (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy adds The Vampire Diaries actress Penelope Mitchell - Yahoo Movies UK - August 31st, 2017
- Como jugar blackjack en casa - Vampire weekend casino de paris - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire Diaries' star Nina Dobrev gets candid on going makeup-free, current politic climate: 'It scares me' - Fox News - August 28th, 2017
- Is Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' a Vampire Movie? - Bloody Disgusting - August 26th, 2017
- Star Trek Writers to Adapt A People's History of the Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek US - August 24th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the many, many pants of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Just Had A Low-Key "Vampire Diaries" Reunion - TeenVogue.com - August 24th, 2017
- This New Podcast About Melbourne's Vampire Gigolo Murder Will Make You Question Everything - Triple M - August 24th, 2017
- My Pretty Vampire's Cartoonish Violence - The Portland Mercury - August 24th, 2017
- "Vampire Princess Miyu" Character Designer's Lithograph Exhibition Coming This Fall - Crunchyroll News - August 24th, 2017
- Matthew Goode to Play Lead Vampire in 'A Discovery of Witches' - Anglophenia - August 24th, 2017
- JD Payne & Patrick McKay Bite Into Fox & 21 Laps' 'A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising' - Deadline - August 22nd, 2017
- Suck city: Movie brings old vampire to New York Brooklyn Daily - Brooklyn Daily - August 22nd, 2017
- Vampire Diaries Ian Somerhalder gushes over wife Nikki after giving birth - Her.ie - August 22nd, 2017
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Creator Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife Blasts Him For Cheating Throughout Their 16-Year Marriage - Bravo (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Marshfield 'vampire killer' loses suit against Parole Board - The Patriot Ledger - August 20th, 2017
- University's vampire expert faces employment tribunal after 'he tasted a female student's blood' - The Sun - August 20th, 2017
- New 'Firefly,' 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Collectible Box Sets Announced - Geeks of Doom - August 19th, 2017
- Nina Dobrev explains why she left 'Vampire Diaries' - ABC News - August 17th, 2017
- 'Carmilla' Takes a Bite Out of Period Vampire Lore - Bloody Disgusting - August 17th, 2017
- Kate Beckinsale not a vampire this time (but, oh, those leather pants) - Sentinel & Enterprise - August 17th, 2017
- Vampire Vs. Climate Change Deniers Dark Fang - Comics Beat - August 17th, 2017
- 'The Vampire Diaries' new spinoff series now in talks, The CW president reveals - Blasting News - August 17th, 2017
- [Review Repost] Michael O'Shea's 'The Transfiguration' is a Refreshing and Moving Vampire Tale - Bloody Disgusting - August 16th, 2017
- A Vampire's Fight Against Global Warming & Oil Industry In IMAGE's DARK FANG - Newsarama - August 16th, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries boss to direct episode of Riverdale - EW.com (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Vampire Comedy 'Bite Me': A Love Song to the Weirdos - IndieWire - August 13th, 2017
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon and brunch happening in Glasgow tomorrow - Glasgow Live - August 13th, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries actor Ian Somerhalder and wife Nikki Reed blessed with a baby girl - India Today - August 11th, 2017
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder & Nikki Reed enjoy new daughter privately - Blasting News - August 11th, 2017
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer at 25: Where Is the Cast Now? - Parade - August 11th, 2017
- FREE VAMPIRE XXX VIDEOS & VAMP SEX TUBE MOVIES - August 11th, 2017
- James Marsters explains why 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is this generation's 'Star Trek' - Metro US - August 10th, 2017
- Demon Hunter Sounds Like Vampire Hunter DWith Some Caveats - Dread Central - August 10th, 2017
- Katie Skelly Combines Cute Art with Sexy Horror in My Pretty Vampire - CBR (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Fox retooling high-concept vampire pilot The Passage for Fall 2018 - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Sorry Fellas, But 'Vampire Diaries' Star Nina Dobrev Is Dating Someone and He's Super Cute! - Life & Style Weekly - August 8th, 2017
- Rostam Talks 'Launching a Whole Universe' With New Solo LP - RollingStone.com - August 8th, 2017
- Broken hand and dislocated elbow puts paid to The Vampire's MMA Bantamweight title bid - New Straits Times Online - August 6th, 2017
- First Look at Vampire Comedy Vidar the Vampire - Dread Central - August 4th, 2017
- Vampire Diaries Fans Are Getting ANOTHER Spin-Off - Hit 107 - August 4th, 2017
- 5 things to know, and when you can visit Vampire Penguin in Granite Bay - Sacramento Business Journal - August 4th, 2017
- 'The Lost Boys,' Found: How a Teen Vampire Movie Rose From the Dead To Become a Cult Classic - Decider - August 3rd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero