A vampire’s glowing eye.
Vampires ( or , Banpaia) are the supernatural creatures of the Vampire Knight universe. As in traditional folklore, they are sensitive to the sun and are active during the night; however, in reality, sunlight onlyhurts their eyesand doesnot actually cause them any physical damage.
When killed, vampires will turn into sand. However Purebloods are an exception, as when they die, they instead shatter into shards of glass. The most effective way to kill any vampire is to cut off their head or stab their heart using an anti-vampire weapon. Blood tablets had been developed to take the place of actual blood feeding, despite having a bad taste. Vampires also have a blood-lust that can only be quenched by the blood of their beloved.
The Pyramid of Numbers for Vampires
Vampires have existed for well over 10,000 years, first appearing when mankind’s civilizations began to crumble. At one point, they waged a war against humans, during which Purebloods began turning humans into vampires. When the number of vampires began to increase, a monarchy was established to rule the vampire race, with the Kurans as the royal family.
However, two generations ago in current times, the former king and head of the Kuran family (Rido, Haruka and Juri’s father) abolished the monarchy in order to avoid authoritarianism. The Senate was established to govern the vampire realm, with high-ranking vampire aristocrats in the seats. Despite their demoted status, however, the Kuran family still holds the title as the highest standing family, and it is well known that there are many vampire families who would support Kaname Kuran if he chose to take back the kingship.
There are 5 types of vampires, ranked according to the purity of their blood. The more diluted by human blood, the lower their ranking is.
Level A (A, A Kurasu, lit. “A Class”) are the Purebloods; the rarest, most elite, and most powerful class, whose blood lines have never mixed with any humans. They are the monarchy of the vampire race, meaning that they are very powerful and demonstrate many abilities such as being the only vampires able to turn humans into their own kind. However, these former human vampires are not powerful and will eventually lose their sanity and falling into Level E.
Level B (B, B Kurasu, lit. “B Class”) are known as the Aristocrats. Every Aristocrat has a special ability (e.g. Hanabusa’s ability to freeze vampires, humans and objects etc.) and the power to heal faster, have more strength and move more quickly. They have a small amount of human blood in their ancestry.
Level C (C, C Kurasu, lit. “C Class”) are general or regular vampires.
Level D (D, D Kurasu, lit. “D Class”) are humans who have been turned into a vampire by a Pureblood rather than being born as a vampire. These ex-humans would eventually go mad with blood-lust and become a “Level E” (E, Rebere E) if they are not stabilized by drinking the blood of the one who originally bit them. Stabilized ex-humans are known as “Level C” or “regular vampires”, and humans that have been bitten, but have not gone mad are “Level D”.
Purebloods (, Junketsushu) are level A vampires. The heritage of these vampires haven’t been diluted by human blood. They are the strongest type of vampires and have the most significant powers, and can destroy any lower vampire with ease. However, despite the fact Purebloods are very powerful, they only make up only a very small portion of the vampire population. The Senate holds Purebloods in extremely high regard, to the point where it is taboo to kill or even harm a Pureblood vampire. As a result, they are treated like royalty. The powers a Pureblood vampire possesses are dangerous to both their fellow vampires and humans. Purebloods have the ability to compel lesser vampires to do their bidding. In recent chapters, Kaname Kuran demonstrated why Purebloods are feared and respected by single-handedly killing the members of the Vampire Council. If a human is bitten by a Pureblood, that human will either die of blood loss or turn into an ex-human vampire, slowly falling into a Level E. The Pureblood and ex-human in question would become bonded as Master and Servant. The master is able to completely control their servant, while the servant becomes incapable of ever killing their master, even if they wish to. When a Pureblood vampire dies, their bodies slowly disperse into small sparkles (as shown by Shizuka Hio’s death in the anime) before shattering into shards of glass.
Aristocrats (, kizoku kaikyuu) are level B vampires. They are elite vampires with specialized abilities beyond normal vampires. These are also very powerful vampires, but not as powerful as Purebloods, due to having a small amount of human blood in their ancestry. They have super strength and speed, as well as specialized powers such as mind control or freezing matter. When an aristocrat is killed, they turn to dust like all other vampires, excluding Purebloods. These vampires are still able to be compelled by Purebloods, but enjoy a much more independent lifestyle in general. The Vampire Council is usually made up from their ranks.
Commons (, ippan kaikyuu, lit. “general rank”) are level C vampires. These are average vampires with no significant powers. Level C vampires are not usually seen in the anime but have several different appearances throughout the manga. They only have super speed, strength and they heal faster than a normal human.
Ex-humans (, moto-ningen) are level D and level E vampires. They are the lowest form of vampires, humans who have been turned into vampires by being bitten by a Pureblood vampire. The E in Level E represents the word “end” because after falling to level E, it’s usually the end of their life after losing control. If they don’t want to die, they’ll have to drink the blood of the Pureblood that bit them. The consequence is that the Pureblood would have complete control over the person and that person would truly become a vampire.
Elite vampires, such as Level B and Purebloods are known to have special powers. The following powers have been demonstrated:
- 'Vampire facial': 2 infected with HIV after New Mexico spa ... - May 1st, 2019
- Nina Dobrev Is Tired of Vampire Scripts, and Is Trying ... - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | Buffyverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | Forgotten Realms Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | TibiaWiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Play Immortal Night for Free Vampire Games - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire | JoJo's Bizarre Encyclopedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire: The Masquerade | White Wolf | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 10th, 2019
- Vampire - AQW - April 9th, 2019
- 15 years later, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 is ... - March 27th, 2019
- Vampire | True Blood Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 17th, 2019
- Luke Perry, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer ... - indiewire.com - March 5th, 2019
- Vampire | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 3rd, 2019
- Vampire (Skyrim) | Elder Scrolls | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 3rd, 2019
- Vampire Queen Series | Storywitch.com - March 1st, 2019
- Vampirism - Become a vampire! - Minecraft CurseForge - March 1st, 2019
- Omega Vampire - The Visual Novel Database - March 1st, 2019
- What We Do In the Shadows To Premiere At SXSW With Pop ... - March 1st, 2019
- Vampiric Breeds | Constructed Mythology | FANDOM powered ... - March 1st, 2019
- Am I a vampire for real? | Yahoo Answers - March 1st, 2019
- Vampire clubs Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 1st, 2019
- Vampire | Yu-Gi-Oh! | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 22nd, 2019
- Vampire | The Vampire Diaries Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 8th, 2019
- Vampire Slayer | Old School RuneScape Wiki | FANDOM powered ... - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Underworld Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | High School DxD Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire Facial Procedure | Official Website | Reviews | Find ... - January 29th, 2019
- Immortal Day Vampire Games Play 4 Free at ImmortalDay.com - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Overlord Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Blade Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Priest Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire | Castlevania Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 29th, 2019
- Vampire - Monsters - D&D Beyond - January 9th, 2019
- Vampire | Warhammer Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 10th, 2018
- The Sun for the Vampire - Play it now at Coolmath-Games.com - November 10th, 2018
- The Vampire (1957) - IMDb - November 2nd, 2018
- The 50 Best Vampire Movies of All Time - CRAVE - October 31st, 2018
- Vampire - MTG Wiki - October 5th, 2018
- Vampire Rave is for Real Vampires - September 24th, 2018
- Caroline Forbes | The Vampire Diaries Wiki | FANDOM ... - September 18th, 2018
- Spike | Buffyverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 18th, 2018
- Welcome - Camping Vampire Bran - September 7th, 2018
- Vampire (WOD) | White Wolf | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 13th, 2018
- Vampire films - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2018
- Clan | Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Wiki | FANDOM ... - July 30th, 2018
- Vampire | Charmed | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 5th, 2018
- Vampire Facelift | Reviews - June 29th, 2018
- Vampire | D&D 5th Edition on Roll20 Compendium - June 18th, 2018
- Real / Living Vampire Glossary of Terminology - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Twilight vampire sheds his heartthrob image - Helena Independent Record - September 7th, 2017
- 'Vampire Diaries' actor Michael Malarkey debuts haunting new album, 'Mongrels'exclusive - Alternative Press - September 7th, 2017
- Are vampires real, do they really drink human blood and how many ... - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- New Genetic Discovery Explains The Skin-Blistering 'Vampire' Disease - ScienceAlert - September 7th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig is apparently making an anime for ... - AV Club - September 6th, 2017
- Ex-Vampire Weekender Rostam Batmanglij Finds Fresh Ways to Subvert Pop - L.A. Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Rostam Finds His Own Voice On The Tender New Single 'Half-Light' - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig announces an anime series for Netflix - The Daily Dot - September 6th, 2017
- Vampire - Manga - MyAnimeList.net - September 6th, 2017
- Joe Arpaio is a vampire that feeds on Mexicans (AKA Tlahuelpuchi) - Oaklandpostonline - September 6th, 2017
- A homeless wannabe vampire ripped off a pigeon's head and chugged its blood - Rare.us - September 2nd, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Spreads Positive Messages About Beauty On Social ... - moviepilot.com - September 2nd, 2017
- A break from the usual bloodsuckers - Harvard Gazette - September 2nd, 2017
- The Vampire Diaries' Penelope Mitchell Joins Hellboy Reboot - Dread Central - September 1st, 2017
- Harvard Film Archive to host vampire movie marathon over Labor Day weekend - The Boston Globe - September 1st, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the mullets of The Lost Boys - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Homeless man claiming to be vampire rips pigeon's head off, drinks blood in Bryant Park - New York Daily News - August 31st, 2017
- Vampire Weekend's Former Mastermind Rostam Batmanglij is Flying Solo - Out Magazine - August 31st, 2017
- Maniac beheads pigeons, drinks their blood in crowded park - New York Post - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy Reboot Casts Vampire Diaries Alum Penelope Mitchell - CBR (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Hellboy adds The Vampire Diaries actress Penelope Mitchell - Yahoo Movies UK - August 31st, 2017
- Como jugar blackjack en casa - Vampire weekend casino de paris - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire Diaries' star Nina Dobrev gets candid on going makeup-free, current politic climate: 'It scares me' - Fox News - August 28th, 2017
- Is Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' a Vampire Movie? - Bloody Disgusting - August 26th, 2017
- Star Trek Writers to Adapt A People's History of the Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek US - August 24th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: the many, many pants of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Nina Dobrev Just Had A Low-Key "Vampire Diaries" Reunion - TeenVogue.com - August 24th, 2017
- This New Podcast About Melbourne's Vampire Gigolo Murder Will Make You Question Everything - Triple M - August 24th, 2017
- My Pretty Vampire's Cartoonish Violence - The Portland Mercury - August 24th, 2017
- "Vampire Princess Miyu" Character Designer's Lithograph Exhibition Coming This Fall - Crunchyroll News - August 24th, 2017
- Matthew Goode to Play Lead Vampire in 'A Discovery of Witches' - Anglophenia - August 24th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero