The Overlook Press is releasing Lee Markhams debut horror novel, The Truants, on July 25th; and the author is in the process of a blog tour in support of the book. When Dread Central was included in the virtual tour, we asked him to expand a bit on why he chose vampires and how he makes them unique in this novel read on for Lees response!
Phil Burrowes, Avant Photographic
The Truants was an accident. Thats the brutal truth of it. Its also probably why its so dripping with brutal truth that its catching readers off guard. Id say that for every four or five readers that come out the other side of The Truants with a profound kind of traumatised love for the experience, theres a reader that comes out angry genuinely upset, offended, hurt even for having been put through it. No-one escapes with indifference. And as its author, Im pleased by that. Because, I guess, when I wrote it, what was more important to me wasnt that I entertained you, it was that I hurt you. And maybe even myself. But hurt was at its core. As is the case with most prayers.
And The Truants is a prayer. (Dont believe me? Read the last couple of lines of the book. Dont worry no spoilers there but see? Told you. Its a prayer.) Desperate, futile, hopeless hopeful. All of these things. But it is also a witness to monstrosity. To the beast that devours our children. And that beast isnt a vampire.
The beast is us.
But while were here, lets deal briefly with those pesky vampires. Another all-too-common response to The Truants is this reassurance that its not really about vampires; its about [insert topic here]. And lots of people are inserting lots of different topics in there: social neglect, child abuse, drug addiction the death of romantic love in long-term relationships flamboyant fatalism! (And, just for the record, I really rather like that one). But its never just about vampires, doing their vampire thing. Which is fine, because its true; its not but there is sometimes a hint of sniffiness about that reassurance that Im not entirely comfortable with. That if it were just a vampire story, it would be low art. That theyre only in there as a device. A metaphor. Thats not really true. The Truants is a vampire story. Its stuffed to the gills with them. Theyre nasty, ruthless, bloodthirsty, dangerous, vicious, predatory bastards.
But theyre different too. Not like all the other vampires. Theres a twist. Its one that worked out really well, and looking ahead could go to all sorts of fascinating places. But like pretty much everything else in The Truants, it roared out of the tale that appeared before me more than I could lay claim to some genius light bulb moment.
The light bulb moment I did have, way back at the beginning, was the knife. The knife with vampire blood on it. Knife crime in the UK, particularly youth-related knife crime, was, and still is, a hot button topic. I think at the time I was probably chugging through the tail end of True Blood (surely the finest form of fast-food TV there is: delicious, moreish, precision-engineered, dirty, and probably not all that good for you) when I just thought, What if someone stabbed a vampire, and then stabbed someone else? Would that someone else become a vampire? And what would that be like for them, turning into a vampire, but not knowing what was happening to them? That confusion and horror of something being very wrong with you. Of change. Probably accompanied by a degree of rage. Especially if youd been stabbed. Murdered even? It was an interesting train of thought.
The twist only actually came in the telling of the first chapter. Of that vampire being stabbed as he burns in the dawn light on a bench. Of a young child subsequently cutting his finger on the knife. The only way I could truthfully articulate that very young childs fear and confusion was to have a mature observer experience it with him the child simply wouldnt have had the vocabulary to express it. And the only candidate for that job was the old vampire himself. We needed that old bastard to wake up trapped in the poor child. Didnt seem like a huge leap at the time, but it quickly unlocked a whole world of new possibilities for the story. First and foremost, this old-ones own confusion and horror of change provided a perfect counterbalance to the human one it provided a shadow that gave the whole thing substance. And with that substance it meant the story could indeed go to all those [insert topic here] places. And by fuck, when I realised that, there was no way I wouldnt go to as many of them as I could.
And from there, it all just exploded out from where it came. Pretty much fully formed. The first draft took maybe six weeks. The sequencing was all over the place, but the chapters, and the little sub-sections, pretty much all in one take. To my mind its actually closer to a work of journalism documentary horror, if you will than fiction.
The Truants is, to all intents and purposes, a live punk album. It doesnt want to be your friend. It doesnt want you to like it. It wants you to love it. Or hate it. It wants to attack you, to make you feel its rage, and maybe, for some of you, to feel dangerously alive. To paraphrase J.G Ballard, it wants to rub your face in it. To see it and feel it. It is not escapism its the opposite of that its barely even fiction, and I make no apologies for that.
One analogy for the experience of reading The Truants that has always sat well with me is that of receiving CPR. No-one enjoys, or even wants, to receive CPR it probably feels like being mugged whilst someone smashes the living shit out of your chest and forces you to breathe, but at the end of it you get to keep on living. Its bruising. Punishing. And whilst for some it can be a kind of epiphanic experience, for other its simply horrible. Unforgivable. But it might just save your life.
But thats all cool too. The Truants is what it is. I just found it and dug the fucker up told the story as it played out before me that was my only job, and I reckon I did okay. I know at least that I didnt look away where plenty of folk would (and seem even to think I should) have but that would have been dishonest reporting. It would have let us all off the hook, and fuck that. This shit is for real. This our world. This is the truth. If its make-believe youre after, theres plenty of other stuff out there that does that off you trot.
So there you have it. The Truants isnt about vampires. What its really about is simply us. What we have become. About how young and lost we all are, how alone, no matter how old and sure, how together, we think we might be. If there is a monster in The Truants, its probably actually fear, but not of death god no, death is actually an aspiration in the book (Riiiiiise!!!) but the fear of purposelessness, the big old whats-it-all-for?
And thats a fear thats common to us all, however many millennia we may have lived. But yes, it does have vampires too. A new breed. A whole hive of them.
And were coming to get you.
Synopsis: The Truants tells the story of the last of the old-onescreatures afflicted with a condition not unlike vampirism: ancient, bloodthirsty, and unable to withstand sunlight. The last old-one has decided to end his life, but before he can act, he is held up at knifepoint. His assailant disappears, the knife in his pocket, the blood of the old-one seared into its sharpened edge. The knife trades hands, drawing blood again, and the old-one is resurrected through his victims consciousness and divided, spreading through the infected. With his horde of infected youth, the old-one must reclaim the knife to regain control of his soul. But someone is out to stop him
Author Bio: Lee Markham is the founder of the childrens publishing house Chestnut Tree Tales and No Man, an independent publishing house. He has previously worked as a brand content developer, and he has written articles for magazines including Admap and Brand Strategy.The Truants is his debut novel and will be published by The Overlook Press on July 25, 2017.
Get this site 100% Ad Free Support Us on Patreon!
- Vampires | Adventure Time Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 25th, 2018
- Vampire Facts - Top 10 Facts about Vampires | Facts.net - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires The Official John Carpenter - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires | The Shadowhunters' Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 16th, 2018
- Vampire | Vampedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 12th, 2018
- Edward Cullen | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 28th, 2018
- Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires): Chloe Neill ... - September 28th, 2018
- Vampires | Legacy of Kain Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 5th, 2018
- Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry ... - August 19th, 2018
- Vampire | Monster Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 8th, 2018
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories (Vintage ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Lesbian Vampires - Gothic Vampires Biting During Sex ... - July 18th, 2018
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Best Sellers in Vampire Romances - amazon.com - June 28th, 2018
- 5 Real Signs That Vampires Actually Exist - YouTube - June 27th, 2018
- Vampires may have been REAL people suffering this blood disorder, experts reveal - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires May Have Been Real People - kgw.com - September 7th, 2017
- Metro Science: How itching works, the real vampires, and sound smart with neuroscience - MetroNews Canada - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires Are Sex Gods - TV Tropes - September 6th, 2017
- JUST HUMOR ME: Babysitting for vampires - Montgomery Newspapers - September 6th, 2017
- Stay energized: Be aware of the energy vampires that are out there ... - The Southern - September 3rd, 2017
- Rip-Off Alert: 'Financial vampires' target elderly for home renovation scams - News3LV - September 1st, 2017
- Eat Locals review Jason Flemyng's bickering vampires feast on absurdity - The Guardian - August 31st, 2017
- What's New on Hulu: September 2017 - Vulture - August 31st, 2017
- Watch Jason Isbell's 'If We Were Vampires' Music Video - The Boot - The Boot (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper continues to push boundaries of creativity - Tribune-Review - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire' victim is crazy and a devil worshipper, says accused - Independent Online - August 29th, 2017
- Psychology professor who researchers "vampires" reportedly caught licking student's blood in class - Boing Boing - August 28th, 2017
- Star Trek writers to adapt A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek UK - August 25th, 2017
- LETTER: Universities acting like vampires on Bath housing market - Bath Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- SLAYERS AND VAMPIRES the untold, unauthorised, uncensored history of the making of BUFFY and ANGEL ... - The Fan Carpet - August 24th, 2017
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Writers Penning 'A People's History of the ... - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2017
- Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode to play a vampire in TV adaptation of A Discovery of Witches - Radio Times - August 24th, 2017
- Fable Cry's Upcoming Album is a Concept Album About Bootlegging Blood For Vampires - Dread Central - August 22nd, 2017
- Review: Dracula: Vampires vs. Zombies - VRFocus - August 19th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: The Lost Boys' glitter blood - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- What's on TV Tuesday: Iranian Vampires and Scientologists - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Puzzle Piece: Vampires and Prostitutes Gone Wild in 'Preacher' - Film School Rejects - August 16th, 2017
- Johnny Depp Quitting Hollywood Vampires Rock Band? - Gossip Cop - August 16th, 2017
- Once bitten, twice shy Vampires: Lucas Rising lacks a little bite - Out In Jersey - August 14th, 2017
- Ian Somerhalder talks fangs and vampires at Boston Comic Con ... - The Boston Globe - August 14th, 2017
- Book review: Chasing Norwegian vampires in 'The Thirst' - Florida Times-Union - August 13th, 2017
- Visit Highgate Cemetery: Home to magicians, vampires & George Michael - The National Student - August 13th, 2017
- 'If We Were Vampires': Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit Debut Music Video - Wide Open Country - August 12th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's Gorgeous, Animated 'If We Were Vampires' Video - RollingStone.com - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrity Big Brother's Trisha Paytas is convinced that vampires are real - and that they have their own secret society - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's moving, animated new 'If We Were Vampires' video - EW.com (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Season 1, Episode 3 Recap: Magic & Science - Refinery29 - August 8th, 2017
- Trump Watch: Vampires, Yusopov and The Zeitgeist - The London Economic - August 7th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas: The Vampire Lemuel - FlickDirect - August 7th, 2017
- The important lessons: Why Hitler considered himself a wolf and his enemies vampires - National Post - August 6th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Townies Give Manfred a Chilling Vampire Education Watch - TVLine - August 4th, 2017
- Microbial Vampires Shrink from Light - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Owner denies vampires dwell in Baroque-style mansion in Taoyuan - Taiwan News - August 2nd, 2017
- The Lost Boys Turns 30: 80s Punk Rock Vampires Need A Comeback - Monkeys Fighting Robots (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Grunge/Glam Queens Sharkmuffin Turn Into Vampires; Announce US Tour Dates - Broadway World - August 2nd, 2017
- Editorial: These woodland vampires can host scary diseases | OUR ... - Richmond.com - July 31st, 2017
- Flavio Fianello Named New Guitarist For Theatres Des Vampires - Metal Underground - July 31st, 2017
- The disturbing world of real life vampires - Metro - July 30th, 2017
- The Lost Boys at 30: sexy vampires, onset raving, and the making of the most Eighties movie ever - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- How To Tame Your Home's Energy Vampires - Texas Monthly - July 30th, 2017
- Narayani Shastri: Those who find naagin concept regressive, watch shows on vampires - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- The Strain was supposed to be FX's Walking Dead. What happened? - Vox - July 30th, 2017
- 'Midnight, Texas': How the Author Behind 'True Blood' Rewrote Her Own Vampire Rules to Create a More Tolerant World - IndieWire - July 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper Talks What's Next for Hollywood Vampires - WROR - WROR - July 30th, 2017
- Vampires aren't always bad in Vampyr - Gamereactor UK - Gamereactor UK - July 11th, 2017
- Seton Hill faculty co-curate academic conference for International Vampire Film and Arts Festival in Romania - Tribune-Review - July 8th, 2017
- Watch Vampires Stalk Their Prey in SG Lewis and Toulouse's "Times We Had" Video - PigeonsAndPlanes - July 6th, 2017
- Glastonbury: Johnny Depp could yet return to the festival with his ... - Somerset Live - July 2nd, 2017
- Alice Cooper 'Would Never Even Think of Retiring,' Already Writing New Hollywood Vampires Album - Loudwire - July 1st, 2017
- Hitler Used Werewolves, Vampires, and Astrology to Brainwash Germany - VICE - June 30th, 2017
- Novelist Sara Dobie Bauer makes vampire angst a laughing matter - Toledo City Paper - June 30th, 2017
- Sexual vampires? Tale of jinxed devastatingly beautiful Kikuyu women whose husbands die mysteriously - The Standard - June 30th, 2017
- Vampires and Raven sign up for high-flying Clacton Airshow - Gazette - June 29th, 2017
- These Three Movies Will Help You Understand the Republican Health Care Bill - Slate Magazine (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Vampires' lure donors in 'Transylvania-themed' blood donation drive - Coconuts - June 29th, 2017
- Santa Cruz's vampire past - The Mercury News - June 27th, 2017
- Vampires and Gnats: When Airplanes Do (or Don't) Fit Their Names - Air & Space Magazine - June 26th, 2017
- Zuma calls for calm as Lusikisiki residents gun for 'vampires' - Daily dispatch - June 26th, 2017
- 'Vampires' lead bloodletting in Pangasinan town - Inquirer.net - June 24th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero