By TMPromotionsJuly 28, 2017
Okay, maybe not. But higher bills can sneak up on you, so below are some tips on identifying, and neutralizing, your energy vampires.
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration:
So, good news is that more of our energy is coming from renewable sources. Not-so-great news, the average U.S. citizen uses a LOT more energy than do people in the rest of the world. To do our part to counter that, we can start by looking for several large and small ways to use less energy in our homes.
The biggest bill busters are HVAC, water heaters, lighting and washer/dryer. Things like smart thermometers, shorter not-quite-so-hot showers, LED bulbs and washing in cold water can help with those.
However, the real vampires here are what we need to curtail, because approximately 75% of the electricity used in most American homes happens while the product is not being used.
The top energy vampires in your home are:
Look at that list, and how many of those things in your house stay plugged in 24/7. Experts calculate that, with all the appliances and electronics that are plugged in and not in use, the average household adds an extra 10 percent to their monthly utility bill.
While it takes a stake in the heart to get rid of real vampires (or so they say), knocking down expensive energy bills is a lot easier than you might think. Below are some tips and tricks to help.
Of course, you cant unplug everything every day. Your cable box is most likely used every day, morning and night, and if youre like the typical household, your wireless router is in constant use. That DVR you rarely use, however, could be unplugged, as well as that guest room TV. A quick look around the house with a discerning eye will probably turn up several other opportunities to cut back.
Plug several devices into one power strip, then turn them all off and on with a simple flip of one switch. If youre going on vacation, or even just away for the weekend, toggle those strips off and the vampires melt away. There are even advanced power strips that prevent whats plugged into them from drawing power when off or not being used.These would be a great investment in a home office. Plug in the computer, the printer, the fax machine (if you still have one). Then when you power down, your electronics arent still fired up and using energy.
But after youre through blow drying and flat-ironing, unplug those gadgets before leaving the bathroom.
Ask them about the newer, much more efficient cable boxes that the industry has developed that can save you from one of the biggest vampires in your house your old set-top cable box.
Look around your kitchen. While it doesnt make sense to unplug your oven or disconnect your dishwasher, you can find plenty of other electronics and devices that once the plug is pulled can help save you money. Coffee makers, smoothie blenders, big, fat bagel toasters, hot pots and more. Or put some of those along with your energy-sucking microwave on a power strip. When breakfast is over, flip the switch and save the money.
If you dont have Energy Star appliances yet, think about switching soon. They use less when plugged in and not in use heck, they use less energy, period.
Yes, these sound like small things, but take a walk around your house and youll likely notice how many small things you have that could be adding big bucks to your annual energy bill.
After you tour your home and unplug the appliances that you use less frequently, it may be time for you to consider switching to an electricity plan will more hours of free electricity! Yes, you read that right Direct Energy offers Free Power Weekends to all Texas customers. This plan does exactly what it says, you wont be charged for the electricity supply you use from Friday at 6pm to 11:59pm on Sunday. Thats more than 100 days of free electricity, making it the energy plan with the most FREE weekend hours in Texas*! With Direct Energys Free Power Weekends plan, customers who have high energy usage activities have the greatest potential to see real savings if they simply shift their activity to the weekend.
To find even more savings, use this calculatorfrom energy.gov to estimate how much energy it takes to power your electronics and appliances throughout the year.
View original post here:
How To Tame Your Home’s Energy Vampires – Texas Monthly
- Vampires | Supernatural Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 14th, 2019
- The Hollywood Vampires - Wikipedia - January 30th, 2019
- Vampires, Witches, and Aliens: Televisions ... - reason.com - January 17th, 2019
- Vampires | Adventure Time Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 25th, 2018
- Vampire Facts - Top 10 Facts about Vampires | Facts.net - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires The Official John Carpenter - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires | The Shadowhunters' Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 16th, 2018
- Vampire | Vampedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 12th, 2018
- Edward Cullen | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 28th, 2018
- Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires): Chloe Neill ... - September 28th, 2018
- Vampires | Legacy of Kain Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 5th, 2018
- Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry ... - August 19th, 2018
- Vampire | Monster Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 8th, 2018
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories (Vintage ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Lesbian Vampires - Gothic Vampires Biting During Sex ... - July 18th, 2018
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Best Sellers in Vampire Romances - amazon.com - June 28th, 2018
- 5 Real Signs That Vampires Actually Exist - YouTube - June 27th, 2018
- Vampires may have been REAL people suffering this blood disorder, experts reveal - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires May Have Been Real People - kgw.com - September 7th, 2017
- Metro Science: How itching works, the real vampires, and sound smart with neuroscience - MetroNews Canada - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires Are Sex Gods - TV Tropes - September 6th, 2017
- JUST HUMOR ME: Babysitting for vampires - Montgomery Newspapers - September 6th, 2017
- Stay energized: Be aware of the energy vampires that are out there ... - The Southern - September 3rd, 2017
- Rip-Off Alert: 'Financial vampires' target elderly for home renovation scams - News3LV - September 1st, 2017
- Eat Locals review Jason Flemyng's bickering vampires feast on absurdity - The Guardian - August 31st, 2017
- What's New on Hulu: September 2017 - Vulture - August 31st, 2017
- Watch Jason Isbell's 'If We Were Vampires' Music Video - The Boot - The Boot (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper continues to push boundaries of creativity - Tribune-Review - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire' victim is crazy and a devil worshipper, says accused - Independent Online - August 29th, 2017
- Psychology professor who researchers "vampires" reportedly caught licking student's blood in class - Boing Boing - August 28th, 2017
- Star Trek writers to adapt A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek UK - August 25th, 2017
- LETTER: Universities acting like vampires on Bath housing market - Bath Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- SLAYERS AND VAMPIRES the untold, unauthorised, uncensored history of the making of BUFFY and ANGEL ... - The Fan Carpet - August 24th, 2017
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Writers Penning 'A People's History of the ... - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2017
- Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode to play a vampire in TV adaptation of A Discovery of Witches - Radio Times - August 24th, 2017
- Fable Cry's Upcoming Album is a Concept Album About Bootlegging Blood For Vampires - Dread Central - August 22nd, 2017
- Review: Dracula: Vampires vs. Zombies - VRFocus - August 19th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: The Lost Boys' glitter blood - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- What's on TV Tuesday: Iranian Vampires and Scientologists - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Puzzle Piece: Vampires and Prostitutes Gone Wild in 'Preacher' - Film School Rejects - August 16th, 2017
- Johnny Depp Quitting Hollywood Vampires Rock Band? - Gossip Cop - August 16th, 2017
- Once bitten, twice shy Vampires: Lucas Rising lacks a little bite - Out In Jersey - August 14th, 2017
- Ian Somerhalder talks fangs and vampires at Boston Comic Con ... - The Boston Globe - August 14th, 2017
- Book review: Chasing Norwegian vampires in 'The Thirst' - Florida Times-Union - August 13th, 2017
- Visit Highgate Cemetery: Home to magicians, vampires & George Michael - The National Student - August 13th, 2017
- 'If We Were Vampires': Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit Debut Music Video - Wide Open Country - August 12th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's Gorgeous, Animated 'If We Were Vampires' Video - RollingStone.com - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrity Big Brother's Trisha Paytas is convinced that vampires are real - and that they have their own secret society - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's moving, animated new 'If We Were Vampires' video - EW.com (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Season 1, Episode 3 Recap: Magic & Science - Refinery29 - August 8th, 2017
- Trump Watch: Vampires, Yusopov and The Zeitgeist - The London Economic - August 7th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas: The Vampire Lemuel - FlickDirect - August 7th, 2017
- The important lessons: Why Hitler considered himself a wolf and his enemies vampires - National Post - August 6th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Townies Give Manfred a Chilling Vampire Education Watch - TVLine - August 4th, 2017
- Microbial Vampires Shrink from Light - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Owner denies vampires dwell in Baroque-style mansion in Taoyuan - Taiwan News - August 2nd, 2017
- The Lost Boys Turns 30: 80s Punk Rock Vampires Need A Comeback - Monkeys Fighting Robots (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Grunge/Glam Queens Sharkmuffin Turn Into Vampires; Announce US Tour Dates - Broadway World - August 2nd, 2017
- Editorial: These woodland vampires can host scary diseases | OUR ... - Richmond.com - July 31st, 2017
- Flavio Fianello Named New Guitarist For Theatres Des Vampires - Metal Underground - July 31st, 2017
- The disturbing world of real life vampires - Metro - July 30th, 2017
- The Lost Boys at 30: sexy vampires, onset raving, and the making of the most Eighties movie ever - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Narayani Shastri: Those who find naagin concept regressive, watch shows on vampires - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- The Strain was supposed to be FX's Walking Dead. What happened? - Vox - July 30th, 2017
- 'Midnight, Texas': How the Author Behind 'True Blood' Rewrote Her Own Vampire Rules to Create a More Tolerant World - IndieWire - July 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper Talks What's Next for Hollywood Vampires - WROR - WROR - July 30th, 2017
- Guest Post: Author Lee Markham on Why The Truants Isn't 'Just' a Vampire Story - Dread Central - July 11th, 2017
- Vampires aren't always bad in Vampyr - Gamereactor UK - Gamereactor UK - July 11th, 2017
- Seton Hill faculty co-curate academic conference for International Vampire Film and Arts Festival in Romania - Tribune-Review - July 8th, 2017
- Watch Vampires Stalk Their Prey in SG Lewis and Toulouse's "Times We Had" Video - PigeonsAndPlanes - July 6th, 2017
- Glastonbury: Johnny Depp could yet return to the festival with his ... - Somerset Live - July 2nd, 2017
- Alice Cooper 'Would Never Even Think of Retiring,' Already Writing New Hollywood Vampires Album - Loudwire - July 1st, 2017
- Hitler Used Werewolves, Vampires, and Astrology to Brainwash Germany - VICE - June 30th, 2017
- Novelist Sara Dobie Bauer makes vampire angst a laughing matter - Toledo City Paper - June 30th, 2017
- Sexual vampires? Tale of jinxed devastatingly beautiful Kikuyu women whose husbands die mysteriously - The Standard - June 30th, 2017
- Vampires and Raven sign up for high-flying Clacton Airshow - Gazette - June 29th, 2017
- These Three Movies Will Help You Understand the Republican Health Care Bill - Slate Magazine (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Vampires' lure donors in 'Transylvania-themed' blood donation drive - Coconuts - June 29th, 2017
- Santa Cruz's vampire past - The Mercury News - June 27th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero