From Bela Lugosi’s eerie, early movie portrayal, to authors Anne Rice’s and Stephenie Meyer’s creations with tortured souls, to Count Von Count instructing toddlers on “Sesame Street,” vampires have long played a role in pop culture.
For those fascinated by vampire lore, films and games, where better to gather and learn than in Sighisoara, Transylvania, the 1431 citadel birthplace of Vlad (the Impaler) Dracula, believed namesake/inspiration for Bram Stoker’s “Dracula”?
Seton Hill University faculty members Michael Arnzen and Nicole Peeler co-curated the academic conference for the second International Vampire Film and Arts Festival, held in May in Romania.
Seton Hill sponsored that portion of the festival, billed as a forum to discuss classic works, learn from established authors and give emerging talent a platform. Workshops, seminars and parties embraced all things vampire.
Arnzen, 50, of Greensburg, is an English professor and Bram Stoker award-winning novelist.
Peeler, 38, of East Liberty, is an associate professor of English and program director of the university’s master of fine arts in writing popular fiction program.
A descendant of Stoker’s reached out to Arnzen, who was excited to receive an invitation to Transylvania.
“I talked to Nicole right away,” he says.
Peeler was immediately intrigued.
“As a young kid, I loved (early Dracula historians) Radu Florescu and Raymond McNally books. I have a double obsession with ‘Dracula’ the book and Vlad the Impaler,” she says.
“My dad gave me ‘Dracula’ when I was young and said, ‘You must read this,’ ” Arnzen says.
It’s a book that stands the test of time, he says.
Both view the university’s participation as recognition of its pre-eminence in teaching popular fiction writing. They teach all genres in their program, and vampires show up in science fiction, young adult, thrillers, romances and westerns, Peeler says.
Dracula both Vlad and the fictionalized version remains a character that incites passion.
There is romance in a character who slips away by day, only to re-appear in the dark, amidst themes of repression, guilt and desire, Arnzen says.
“There is something about vampires that speaks to you,” Peeler says.
Along with the horror and terror, there are the seductive pulls of immortality and power, she says. Popular fiction allows people safe zones to explore those fascinations, Arnzen says.
While Vlad Dracula did not bite necks and drink his victim’s blood instead impaling thousands he considered enemies his own people saw his harsh rule as a form of protection against Ottoman rule, published research shows.
“He was still very much a hero to the people of Romania,” Peeler says.
The two reviewed submissions for “Children of the Night: The Vampire Across Popular Culture,” considering papers exploring the various appearances of vampires in pop culture and addressing the character’s ongoing global significance in different media.
Among their selections were works by three alumnae (and authors) from Seton Hill’s program Elsa Carruthers, Leadie Joe Flower and Rhonda Jackson Joseph who presented during a panel discussion.
Submissions came from France, Brazil, Finland and Russia.
“The papers were fascinating,” Arnzen says.
Joseph injected some humorous outrage about the absence of African-American women in vampire fiction in her presentation, entitled, “Where My Girls At?”
Alumna Claudia M. Kovach, Neumann University English and French professor, participated in another panel with her Delaware County university’s colleagues.
Conference topics ranged from “Vampire Suicide” to “Vampires in Brazilian Popular Culture,” “The Vampire and Cultural Crisis” and “(En)Gendering the Vampire.”
The colleagues’ first visit to Romania inspired a desire to return.
“It was stunning, visually,” Peeler says.
What it lacks in polish, they say, it makes up for in quirkiness and drive-by castle sightings.
“I walked away with a novel idea,” Arnzen says.
“I walked away with five extra pounds,” Peeler says, laughing.
Along with enjoying such Eastern European dishes as goulash and papanasi, a cheesy pastry topped with jam, those attending the conference also visited Bran Castle.
Although never the home of Vlad Dracula, the 1382 structure on Transylvania’s border is the only one that actually fits Bram Stoker’s description of Dracula’s Castle, according to its website.
Seeing former students travel abroad and make academic presentations also was satisfying for the instructors, as was the level of interest in the subject matter.
“I think we helped advance scholarship about something in a meaningful way that people (think of as) a Halloween costume,” Arnzen says.
Mary Pickels is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach her at 724-836-5401 or email@example.com or via Twitter @MaryPickels.
- Vampire History - HISTORY - May 23rd, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Unveil New Song The Boogieman Surprise ... - May 23rd, 2019
- The Vampires of Venice - Wikipedia - May 5th, 2019
- Vintage Shelf: Theres More to The Hunger Than Just Sex ... - April 30th, 2019
- 10 Memorable TV Vampires: From Angel to The X-Files - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Preview Rise LP With New Song ... - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Plot Spring Tour - rollingstone.com - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Releases New Single "Who's Laughing Now ... - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires | About - March 26th, 2019
- Vampires - Pottermore - March 15th, 2019
- Vampires(?) | Slay the spire Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 15th, 2019
- Vampires - Supernatural Beings Wiki - March 13th, 2019
- Vampires | Vamp! Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 13th, 2019
- Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! - Wikipedia - March 12th, 2019
- Vampires | Supernatural Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 14th, 2019
- The Hollywood Vampires - Wikipedia - January 30th, 2019
- Vampires, Witches, and Aliens: Televisions ... - reason.com - January 17th, 2019
- Vampires | Adventure Time Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 25th, 2018
- Vampire Facts - Top 10 Facts about Vampires | Facts.net - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires The Official John Carpenter - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires | The Shadowhunters' Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 16th, 2018
- Vampire | Vampedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 12th, 2018
- Edward Cullen | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 28th, 2018
- Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires): Chloe Neill ... - September 28th, 2018
- Vampires | Legacy of Kain Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 5th, 2018
- Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry ... - August 19th, 2018
- Vampire | Monster Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 8th, 2018
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories (Vintage ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Lesbian Vampires - Gothic Vampires Biting During Sex ... - July 18th, 2018
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Best Sellers in Vampire Romances - amazon.com - June 28th, 2018
- 5 Real Signs That Vampires Actually Exist - YouTube - June 27th, 2018
- Vampires may have been REAL people suffering this blood disorder, experts reveal - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires May Have Been Real People - kgw.com - September 7th, 2017
- Metro Science: How itching works, the real vampires, and sound smart with neuroscience - MetroNews Canada - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires Are Sex Gods - TV Tropes - September 6th, 2017
- JUST HUMOR ME: Babysitting for vampires - Montgomery Newspapers - September 6th, 2017
- Stay energized: Be aware of the energy vampires that are out there ... - The Southern - September 3rd, 2017
- Rip-Off Alert: 'Financial vampires' target elderly for home renovation scams - News3LV - September 1st, 2017
- Eat Locals review Jason Flemyng's bickering vampires feast on absurdity - The Guardian - August 31st, 2017
- What's New on Hulu: September 2017 - Vulture - August 31st, 2017
- Watch Jason Isbell's 'If We Were Vampires' Music Video - The Boot - The Boot (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper continues to push boundaries of creativity - Tribune-Review - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire' victim is crazy and a devil worshipper, says accused - Independent Online - August 29th, 2017
- Psychology professor who researchers "vampires" reportedly caught licking student's blood in class - Boing Boing - August 28th, 2017
- Star Trek writers to adapt A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek UK - August 25th, 2017
- LETTER: Universities acting like vampires on Bath housing market - Bath Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- SLAYERS AND VAMPIRES the untold, unauthorised, uncensored history of the making of BUFFY and ANGEL ... - The Fan Carpet - August 24th, 2017
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Writers Penning 'A People's History of the ... - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2017
- Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode to play a vampire in TV adaptation of A Discovery of Witches - Radio Times - August 24th, 2017
- Fable Cry's Upcoming Album is a Concept Album About Bootlegging Blood For Vampires - Dread Central - August 22nd, 2017
- Review: Dracula: Vampires vs. Zombies - VRFocus - August 19th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: The Lost Boys' glitter blood - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- What's on TV Tuesday: Iranian Vampires and Scientologists - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Puzzle Piece: Vampires and Prostitutes Gone Wild in 'Preacher' - Film School Rejects - August 16th, 2017
- Johnny Depp Quitting Hollywood Vampires Rock Band? - Gossip Cop - August 16th, 2017
- Once bitten, twice shy Vampires: Lucas Rising lacks a little bite - Out In Jersey - August 14th, 2017
- Ian Somerhalder talks fangs and vampires at Boston Comic Con ... - The Boston Globe - August 14th, 2017
- Book review: Chasing Norwegian vampires in 'The Thirst' - Florida Times-Union - August 13th, 2017
- Visit Highgate Cemetery: Home to magicians, vampires & George Michael - The National Student - August 13th, 2017
- 'If We Were Vampires': Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit Debut Music Video - Wide Open Country - August 12th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's Gorgeous, Animated 'If We Were Vampires' Video - RollingStone.com - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrity Big Brother's Trisha Paytas is convinced that vampires are real - and that they have their own secret society - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's moving, animated new 'If We Were Vampires' video - EW.com (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Season 1, Episode 3 Recap: Magic & Science - Refinery29 - August 8th, 2017
- Trump Watch: Vampires, Yusopov and The Zeitgeist - The London Economic - August 7th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas: The Vampire Lemuel - FlickDirect - August 7th, 2017
- The important lessons: Why Hitler considered himself a wolf and his enemies vampires - National Post - August 6th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Townies Give Manfred a Chilling Vampire Education Watch - TVLine - August 4th, 2017
- Microbial Vampires Shrink from Light - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Owner denies vampires dwell in Baroque-style mansion in Taoyuan - Taiwan News - August 2nd, 2017
- The Lost Boys Turns 30: 80s Punk Rock Vampires Need A Comeback - Monkeys Fighting Robots (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Grunge/Glam Queens Sharkmuffin Turn Into Vampires; Announce US Tour Dates - Broadway World - August 2nd, 2017
- Editorial: These woodland vampires can host scary diseases | OUR ... - Richmond.com - July 31st, 2017
- Flavio Fianello Named New Guitarist For Theatres Des Vampires - Metal Underground - July 31st, 2017
- The disturbing world of real life vampires - Metro - July 30th, 2017
- The Lost Boys at 30: sexy vampires, onset raving, and the making of the most Eighties movie ever - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- How To Tame Your Home's Energy Vampires - Texas Monthly - July 30th, 2017
- Narayani Shastri: Those who find naagin concept regressive, watch shows on vampires - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- The Strain was supposed to be FX's Walking Dead. What happened? - Vox - July 30th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero