Vampires are evil mythological beings who roam the world at night searching for people whose blood they feed upon. They may be the best-known classic monsters of all. Most people associate vampires with Count Dracula, the legendary, blood-sucking subject of Bram Stokers epic novel, Dracula, which was published in 1897. But the history of vampires began long before Stoker was born.
There are almost as many different characteristics of vampires as there are vampire legends. But the main characteristic of vampires (or vampyres) is they drink human blood. They typically drain their victims blood using their sharp fangs, killing them and turning them into vampires.
In general, vampires hunt at night since sunlight weakens their powers. Some may have the ability to morph into a bat or a wolf. Vampires have super strength and often have a hypnotic, sensual effect on their victims. They cant see their image in a mirror and cast no shadows.
Its thought Bram Stoker named Count Dracula after Vlad Dracula, also known as Vlad the Impaler. Vlad Dracula was born in Transylvania, Romania. He ruled Walachia, Romania, off and on from 1456-1462.
Some historians describe him as a justyet brutally cruelruler who valiantly fought off the Ottoman Empire. He earned his nickname because his favorite way to kill his enemies was to impale them on a wooden stake.
According to legend, Vlad Dracula enjoyed dining amidst his dying victims and dipping his bread in their blood. Whether those gory tales are true is unknown. Many people believe these stories sparked Stokers imagination to create Count Dracula, who was also from Transylvania, sucked his victims blood and could be killed by impaling a stake through his heart.
But, according to Dracula expert Elizabeth Miller, Stoker didnt base Count Draculas life on Vlad Dracula. Nonetheless, the similarities between the two Draculas are intriguing.
Vampire superstition thrived in the Middle Ages, especially as the plague decimated entire towns. The disease often left behind bleeding mouth lesions on its victims, which to the uneducated was a sure sign of vampirism.
It wasnt uncommon for anyone with an unfamiliar physical or emotional illness to be labeled a vampire. Many researchers have pointed to porphyria, a blood disorder that can cause severe blisters on skin thats exposed to sunlight, as a disease that may have been linked to the vampire legend.
Some symptoms of porphyria can be temporarily relieved by ingesting blood. Other diseases blamed for promoting the vampire myth include rabies or goiter.
When a suspected vampire died, their bodies were often disinterred to search for signs of vampirism. In some cases, a stake was thrust through the corpses heart to make sure they stayed dead. Other accounts describe the decapitation and burning of the corpses of suspected vampires well into the nineteenth century.
Mercy Brown may rival Count Dracula as the most notorious vampire. Unlike Count Dracula, however, Mercy was a real person. She lived in Exeter, Rhode Island and was the daughter of George Brown, a farmer.
After George lost many family members, including Mercy, in the late 1800s to tuberculosis, his community used Mercy as a scapegoat to explain their deaths. It was common at that time to blame several deaths in one family on the undead. The bodies of each dead family member were often exhumed and searched for signs of vampirism.
When Mercys body was exhumed and didnt display severe decay (not surprising, since her body was placed in an above-ground vault during a New England winter), the townspeople accused her of being a vampire and making her family sick from her icy grave. They cut out her heart, burned it, then fed the ashes to her sick brother. Perhaps not surprisingly, he died shortly thereafter.
Although modern science has silenced the vampire fears of the past, people who call themselves vampires do exist. Theyre normal-seeming people who drink small amounts of blood in a (perhaps misguided) effort to stay healthy.
Communities of self-identified vampires can be found on the Internet and in cities and towns around the world.To avoid rekindling vampire superstitions, most modern vampires keep to themselves and typically conduct their feeding ritualswhich include drinking the blood of willing donorsin private.
Some vampires dont ingest human blood but claim to feed off the energy of others. Many state that if they dont feed regularly, they become agitated or depressed.
Vampires became mainstream after Dracula was published. Since then, Count Draculas legendary persona has been the topic of many films, books and television shows. Given the fascination people have with all things horror, vampiresreal or imaginedare likely to continue to inhabit the earth for years to come.
A Brief History of the Immortals of Non-Hindu Civilizations. Shri Bhagavatananda Guru.A Natural History of Vampires. Scientific American.Draculas Homepage. Elizabeth Miller.Meet the Real-Life Vampires of New England and Beyond. Smithsonian.com.Real-Life Vampires Exist and Researchers Are Studying Them. Discover.Where Do Vampires Come From? National Geographic.The real-life diseases that spread the vampire myth. BBC Future.Born to the Purple: the Story of Porphyria. Scientific American.
See more here:
Vampire History – HISTORY
- Hollywood Vampires Unveil New Song The Boogieman Surprise ... - May 23rd, 2019
- The Vampires of Venice - Wikipedia - May 5th, 2019
- Vintage Shelf: Theres More to The Hunger Than Just Sex ... - April 30th, 2019
- 10 Memorable TV Vampires: From Angel to The X-Files - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Preview Rise LP With New Song ... - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Plot Spring Tour - rollingstone.com - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Releases New Single "Who's Laughing Now ... - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires | About - March 26th, 2019
- Vampires - Pottermore - March 15th, 2019
- Vampires(?) | Slay the spire Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 15th, 2019
- Vampires - Supernatural Beings Wiki - March 13th, 2019
- Vampires | Vamp! Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 13th, 2019
- Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! - Wikipedia - March 12th, 2019
- Vampires | Supernatural Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 14th, 2019
- The Hollywood Vampires - Wikipedia - January 30th, 2019
- Vampires, Witches, and Aliens: Televisions ... - reason.com - January 17th, 2019
- Vampires | Adventure Time Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 25th, 2018
- Vampire Facts - Top 10 Facts about Vampires | Facts.net - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires The Official John Carpenter - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires | The Shadowhunters' Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 16th, 2018
- Vampire | Vampedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 12th, 2018
- Edward Cullen | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 28th, 2018
- Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires): Chloe Neill ... - September 28th, 2018
- Vampires | Legacy of Kain Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 5th, 2018
- Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry ... - August 19th, 2018
- Vampire | Monster Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 8th, 2018
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories (Vintage ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Lesbian Vampires - Gothic Vampires Biting During Sex ... - July 18th, 2018
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Best Sellers in Vampire Romances - amazon.com - June 28th, 2018
- 5 Real Signs That Vampires Actually Exist - YouTube - June 27th, 2018
- Vampires may have been REAL people suffering this blood disorder, experts reveal - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires May Have Been Real People - kgw.com - September 7th, 2017
- Metro Science: How itching works, the real vampires, and sound smart with neuroscience - MetroNews Canada - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires Are Sex Gods - TV Tropes - September 6th, 2017
- JUST HUMOR ME: Babysitting for vampires - Montgomery Newspapers - September 6th, 2017
- Stay energized: Be aware of the energy vampires that are out there ... - The Southern - September 3rd, 2017
- Rip-Off Alert: 'Financial vampires' target elderly for home renovation scams - News3LV - September 1st, 2017
- Eat Locals review Jason Flemyng's bickering vampires feast on absurdity - The Guardian - August 31st, 2017
- What's New on Hulu: September 2017 - Vulture - August 31st, 2017
- Watch Jason Isbell's 'If We Were Vampires' Music Video - The Boot - The Boot (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper continues to push boundaries of creativity - Tribune-Review - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire' victim is crazy and a devil worshipper, says accused - Independent Online - August 29th, 2017
- Psychology professor who researchers "vampires" reportedly caught licking student's blood in class - Boing Boing - August 28th, 2017
- Star Trek writers to adapt A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek UK - August 25th, 2017
- LETTER: Universities acting like vampires on Bath housing market - Bath Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- SLAYERS AND VAMPIRES the untold, unauthorised, uncensored history of the making of BUFFY and ANGEL ... - The Fan Carpet - August 24th, 2017
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Writers Penning 'A People's History of the ... - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2017
- Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode to play a vampire in TV adaptation of A Discovery of Witches - Radio Times - August 24th, 2017
- Fable Cry's Upcoming Album is a Concept Album About Bootlegging Blood For Vampires - Dread Central - August 22nd, 2017
- Review: Dracula: Vampires vs. Zombies - VRFocus - August 19th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: The Lost Boys' glitter blood - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- What's on TV Tuesday: Iranian Vampires and Scientologists - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Puzzle Piece: Vampires and Prostitutes Gone Wild in 'Preacher' - Film School Rejects - August 16th, 2017
- Johnny Depp Quitting Hollywood Vampires Rock Band? - Gossip Cop - August 16th, 2017
- Once bitten, twice shy Vampires: Lucas Rising lacks a little bite - Out In Jersey - August 14th, 2017
- Ian Somerhalder talks fangs and vampires at Boston Comic Con ... - The Boston Globe - August 14th, 2017
- Book review: Chasing Norwegian vampires in 'The Thirst' - Florida Times-Union - August 13th, 2017
- Visit Highgate Cemetery: Home to magicians, vampires & George Michael - The National Student - August 13th, 2017
- 'If We Were Vampires': Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit Debut Music Video - Wide Open Country - August 12th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's Gorgeous, Animated 'If We Were Vampires' Video - RollingStone.com - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrity Big Brother's Trisha Paytas is convinced that vampires are real - and that they have their own secret society - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's moving, animated new 'If We Were Vampires' video - EW.com (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Season 1, Episode 3 Recap: Magic & Science - Refinery29 - August 8th, 2017
- Trump Watch: Vampires, Yusopov and The Zeitgeist - The London Economic - August 7th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas: The Vampire Lemuel - FlickDirect - August 7th, 2017
- The important lessons: Why Hitler considered himself a wolf and his enemies vampires - National Post - August 6th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Townies Give Manfred a Chilling Vampire Education Watch - TVLine - August 4th, 2017
- Microbial Vampires Shrink from Light - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Owner denies vampires dwell in Baroque-style mansion in Taoyuan - Taiwan News - August 2nd, 2017
- The Lost Boys Turns 30: 80s Punk Rock Vampires Need A Comeback - Monkeys Fighting Robots (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Grunge/Glam Queens Sharkmuffin Turn Into Vampires; Announce US Tour Dates - Broadway World - August 2nd, 2017
- Editorial: These woodland vampires can host scary diseases | OUR ... - Richmond.com - July 31st, 2017
- Flavio Fianello Named New Guitarist For Theatres Des Vampires - Metal Underground - July 31st, 2017
- The disturbing world of real life vampires - Metro - July 30th, 2017
- The Lost Boys at 30: sexy vampires, onset raving, and the making of the most Eighties movie ever - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- How To Tame Your Home's Energy Vampires - Texas Monthly - July 30th, 2017
- Narayani Shastri: Those who find naagin concept regressive, watch shows on vampires - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- The Strain was supposed to be FX's Walking Dead. What happened? - Vox - July 30th, 2017
- 'Midnight, Texas': How the Author Behind 'True Blood' Rewrote Her Own Vampire Rules to Create a More Tolerant World - IndieWire - July 30th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero