[ A vampire is a creature whose soul is entirely separate from his body, but is able to control his empty shell. In other words, a vampire is a creature who can do what he pleases with his own soul. ]
Gerhardt von Waldstein to Shizune Kijima, Vamp!
There are approximately fifty thousand vampires currently living on Earth.
For a list of important vampires turned, pureblood, or otherwise please consult the vampires category. Other, less important named vampires may be found at the Organization and Clans pages.
As Gerhardt von Waldstein explains it, one might say that a vampire’s soul “uses telekinesis to animate his own corpse.” He clarifies that “this is the ability to control the matter that composes one’s body, on a molecular or even atomic level.” This principle explains (for example) why some vampires can turn their bodies into a flock of bats, or turn into a patch of fog. With the former, there is one consciousness that controls several individual beings which is possible because of telekinesis. With the latter, a vampire is able to move in fog form because it is their soul controlling the matter’s movements.
A vampire’s blood “is the catalyst that circulates the soul’s energy through his body.” This might explain why the heart is a weakness for many vampires; as Melhilm Herzog theorized, if one considers the soul a remote control, the heart might be a receiver for the signals sent from the soul. If a vampire’s heart is not one of their weaknesses, then they must use different parts of their bodies as receivers instead.
If a vampire perceives the world through their soul, they automatically see past illusions. In Gerhardt’s case, his physical form (liquid blood) does not have eyes, so he perceives the world through his soul. This is why he can only perceive Valdred Ivanhoe in his true form (a watermelon), and cannot see Val’s illusions.
The act of drinking someone’s blood is more than simple consumption; by drinking someone’s blood, a vampire is sharing their very soul with them. The soul is also why vampires are unable to transfer power when bloodsharing as the souls of two vampires are on ‘different wavelengths’, their souls reject each other rather than cleave together. This is why vampires must drink the blood of Eaters if they wish to gain the power of other vampires: a human’s blood acts like an adhesive to which a vampire’s soul and powers stick.
Vampires can ‘evolve’ or metamorphose from humans, animals, insects and plants – though one may also say that their souls evolved, rather than their bodies. Some animal and plant-based vampires can assume humanoid form, though some do not. There are cases of highly unique vampires who do not fall under any of the aforementioned species for instance, Hawking is a black hole vampire, and RX777 is a robot vampire.
Plant-based vampires occur when a plant absorbs the blood and soul of one or many vampires. In the case of the alraune Selim Vergs, she was originally a flower who gained sentience after she was showered with the blood of an executed vampire.
Vampires have an incredibly high mutation rate in some cases, there have been reports of mutations happening over a single generation due to individual will or effects of religion.
Through selective breeding, certain vampiric traits can be preserved and enhanced through bloodlines such as vampires of the Sunford Clan line, who are all immune to sunlight. On a more artificial level: in Melhilm’s pursuit of thoroughbreds and for the coelacanth, he supervised generations of breeding between powerful vampires in the hopes of eventually creating an all-powerful vampire with no weaknesses.
Contrary to some human myths, vampires typically do have heartbeats since the heart supplies nutrients to one’s body. This does not apply to vampires who require other means of sustenance to live, such as plant-based vampires who depend on photosynthesis. However, most vampires do not need to breathe.
It has been theorized that vampires turn to ash upon death because their bodies were “originally formed of mutated substances of similar composition.”
Vampires who have few weaknesses tend to have fewer abilities and lower reproductive capability. The same lowered reproductive capability is also found in vampires with many strengths and few weaknesses – after all, if a vampire cannot die it has no reason to leave behind progeny.
A vampire has three options when they bite a human: they can drink the human’s blood, subjugate them, or turn them. To turn a human, a vampire bites them and infuses the human with the vampire’s own soul. It has been rumored that the Kumanobe Clan knows of a way to revert a turned vampire back into a human. A turned vampire stops aging once they have been turned, whereas a born vampire stops aging in their youth.
Humans have feared vampires since time immemorial, as seen in the common portrayal of vampires as predators and monsters in their mythologies. In modern times most humans do not believe in vampires and other supernatural beings, save for those who worship the occult or have had encounters with vampires in the past.
Though most vampires do tend to be more powerful than humans, the average vampire avoids them and fears detection. After all, the entirety of Earth’s vampire population (fifty thousand or so) make up less than .001 percent of the human population. For every vampire, there are a hundred thousand humans who will likely be hostile to them. Many vampires thus choose to live on the outskirts of settlements, alone and away from prying eyes.
The most unusual and prominent example of humans coexisting with vampires is the island Growerth, which is home to an unusually large concentration of vampires and other supernatural beings.
The act of eating another vampire’s flesh is on the same level as human cannibalism and considered a taboo by some, though it is unclear how widespread this opinion is. Drinking another vampire’s blood is considered a sacred ritual of bloodmixing by the Clans, and Clan members will only share blood with other Clan members. Whether non-Clan vampires hold different beliefs, and what those beliefs might be, are yet to be made clear.
There are three main groupings of vampires:
The first are vampires who either act alone, or in small groups. ‘Small groups’ can broadly range from bands to entire villages.
The second are ‘families’ who form Clans. These are usually pureblooded vampires, old-fashioned aristocrat types who tend to view humans as inferior creatures prey, slaves, and worthy of disdain.
The third is The Organization, a large-scale ‘social gathering’ of twenty-thousand or so vampires of all types. It was formed centuries prior to the 2000s, and serves as an information exchange network and aims to protect vampires from human persecution.
The amount of abilities and weaknesses one has, as well as how effectual or debilitating they are, ranges wildly from vampire to vampire (or bloodline to bloodline). This is why the depictions of vampires vary in different human mythologies – each depiction is true.
This means that even the most basic assumptions one might have about a vampire do not necessarily apply to all. The idea that vampires need blood to live is one of the most pervasive ones in human mythologies – however, in Vamp! – while some vampires do need blood to live, others do not at all. Some might require human blood, while others can survive on animal blood. Hunger cycles vary as well: some vampires need blood often and regularly while others might only need it once per month.
(Note: These lists only include the powers and abilities that have been mentioned in Vamp!. However, given the series’ premise that all human mythological depictions are true, one should assume that any ability or weakness that vampires display in actual mythologies are valid traits a Vamp! vampire might have. For example, in some mythologies a vampire must be formally invited in before they can step over a threshold. This has not been mentioned specifically in the series, but it is almost certain it exists)
Many vampires in Vamp! have abilities traditionally associated with vampires in human myths, and more untraditional abilities. These include:
Follow this link:
Vampires | Vamp! Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia
- The Vampires of Venice - Wikipedia - May 5th, 2019
- Vintage Shelf: Theres More to The Hunger Than Just Sex ... - April 30th, 2019
- 10 Memorable TV Vampires: From Angel to The X-Files - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Preview Rise LP With New Song ... - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Plot Spring Tour - rollingstone.com - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires Releases New Single "Who's Laughing Now ... - April 21st, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires | About - March 26th, 2019
- Vampires - Pottermore - March 15th, 2019
- Vampires(?) | Slay the spire Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 15th, 2019
- Vampires - Supernatural Beings Wiki - March 13th, 2019
- Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! - Wikipedia - March 12th, 2019
- Vampires | Supernatural Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 14th, 2019
- The Hollywood Vampires - Wikipedia - January 30th, 2019
- Vampires, Witches, and Aliens: Televisions ... - reason.com - January 17th, 2019
- Vampires | Adventure Time Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 25th, 2018
- Vampire Facts - Top 10 Facts about Vampires | Facts.net - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires The Official John Carpenter - November 16th, 2018
- Vampires | The Shadowhunters' Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - November 16th, 2018
- Vampire | Vampedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 12th, 2018
- Edward Cullen | Twilight Saga Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 28th, 2018
- Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires): Chloe Neill ... - September 28th, 2018
- Vampires | Legacy of Kain Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - September 5th, 2018
- Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry ... - August 19th, 2018
- Vampire | Monster Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - August 8th, 2018
- Vampires in the Lemon Grove: And Other Stories (Vintage ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Lesbian Vampires - Gothic Vampires Biting During Sex ... - July 18th, 2018
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) - IMDb - July 11th, 2018
- Best Sellers in Vampire Romances - amazon.com - June 28th, 2018
- 5 Real Signs That Vampires Actually Exist - YouTube - June 27th, 2018
- Vampires may have been REAL people suffering this blood disorder, experts reveal - The Sun - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires May Have Been Real People - kgw.com - September 7th, 2017
- Metro Science: How itching works, the real vampires, and sound smart with neuroscience - MetroNews Canada - September 7th, 2017
- Vampires Are Sex Gods - TV Tropes - September 6th, 2017
- JUST HUMOR ME: Babysitting for vampires - Montgomery Newspapers - September 6th, 2017
- Stay energized: Be aware of the energy vampires that are out there ... - The Southern - September 3rd, 2017
- Rip-Off Alert: 'Financial vampires' target elderly for home renovation scams - News3LV - September 1st, 2017
- Eat Locals review Jason Flemyng's bickering vampires feast on absurdity - The Guardian - August 31st, 2017
- What's New on Hulu: September 2017 - Vulture - August 31st, 2017
- Watch Jason Isbell's 'If We Were Vampires' Music Video - The Boot - The Boot (blog) - August 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper continues to push boundaries of creativity - Tribune-Review - August 30th, 2017
- 'Vampire' victim is crazy and a devil worshipper, says accused - Independent Online - August 29th, 2017
- Psychology professor who researchers "vampires" reportedly caught licking student's blood in class - Boing Boing - August 28th, 2017
- Star Trek writers to adapt A People's History Of The Vampire Uprising - Den of Geek UK - August 25th, 2017
- LETTER: Universities acting like vampires on Bath housing market - Bath Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- SLAYERS AND VAMPIRES the untold, unauthorised, uncensored history of the making of BUFFY and ANGEL ... - The Fan Carpet - August 24th, 2017
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Writers Penning 'A People's History of the ... - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2017
- Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode to play a vampire in TV adaptation of A Discovery of Witches - Radio Times - August 24th, 2017
- Fable Cry's Upcoming Album is a Concept Album About Bootlegging Blood For Vampires - Dread Central - August 22nd, 2017
- Review: Dracula: Vampires vs. Zombies - VRFocus - August 19th, 2017
- Chosen One of the Day: The Lost Boys' glitter blood - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 17th, 2017
- What's on TV Tuesday: Iranian Vampires and Scientologists - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Puzzle Piece: Vampires and Prostitutes Gone Wild in 'Preacher' - Film School Rejects - August 16th, 2017
- Johnny Depp Quitting Hollywood Vampires Rock Band? - Gossip Cop - August 16th, 2017
- Once bitten, twice shy Vampires: Lucas Rising lacks a little bite - Out In Jersey - August 14th, 2017
- Ian Somerhalder talks fangs and vampires at Boston Comic Con ... - The Boston Globe - August 14th, 2017
- Book review: Chasing Norwegian vampires in 'The Thirst' - Florida Times-Union - August 13th, 2017
- Visit Highgate Cemetery: Home to magicians, vampires & George Michael - The National Student - August 13th, 2017
- 'If We Were Vampires': Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit Debut Music Video - Wide Open Country - August 12th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's Gorgeous, Animated 'If We Were Vampires' Video - RollingStone.com - August 10th, 2017
- Celebrity Big Brother's Trisha Paytas is convinced that vampires are real - and that they have their own secret society - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2017
- See Jason Isbell's moving, animated new 'If We Were Vampires' video - EW.com (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Season 1, Episode 3 Recap: Magic & Science - Refinery29 - August 8th, 2017
- Trump Watch: Vampires, Yusopov and The Zeitgeist - The London Economic - August 7th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas: The Vampire Lemuel - FlickDirect - August 7th, 2017
- The important lessons: Why Hitler considered himself a wolf and his enemies vampires - National Post - August 6th, 2017
- Midnight, Texas Townies Give Manfred a Chilling Vampire Education Watch - TVLine - August 4th, 2017
- Microbial Vampires Shrink from Light - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Owner denies vampires dwell in Baroque-style mansion in Taoyuan - Taiwan News - August 2nd, 2017
- The Lost Boys Turns 30: 80s Punk Rock Vampires Need A Comeback - Monkeys Fighting Robots (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Grunge/Glam Queens Sharkmuffin Turn Into Vampires; Announce US Tour Dates - Broadway World - August 2nd, 2017
- Editorial: These woodland vampires can host scary diseases | OUR ... - Richmond.com - July 31st, 2017
- Flavio Fianello Named New Guitarist For Theatres Des Vampires - Metal Underground - July 31st, 2017
- The disturbing world of real life vampires - Metro - July 30th, 2017
- The Lost Boys at 30: sexy vampires, onset raving, and the making of the most Eighties movie ever - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- How To Tame Your Home's Energy Vampires - Texas Monthly - July 30th, 2017
- Narayani Shastri: Those who find naagin concept regressive, watch shows on vampires - Hindustan Times - July 30th, 2017
- The Strain was supposed to be FX's Walking Dead. What happened? - Vox - July 30th, 2017
- 'Midnight, Texas': How the Author Behind 'True Blood' Rewrote Her Own Vampire Rules to Create a More Tolerant World - IndieWire - July 30th, 2017
- Alice Cooper Talks What's Next for Hollywood Vampires - WROR - WROR - July 30th, 2017
- Guest Post: Author Lee Markham on Why The Truants Isn't 'Just' a Vampire Story - Dread Central - July 11th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero