Chinese companies battling to cope with the government-induced tightening in funding markets are bracing themselves for the next shoe to fall: a wave of early bond redemptions.
The nations businesses sold about 65 percent of all corporate bonds with put options worldwide, at 3.9 trillion yuan, ($580 billion). Creditors holding some 2 trillion yuan of mainland notes will be able to exercise those options in the next two years, forcing issuers to either increase interest payments or redeem the debt early. Bonds sold by property companies are most affected, accounting for about a quarter of the 2 trillion yuan pile.
Chinese authorities efforts tocut excessive and speculative borrowing have helped drive up costs across the corporate bond market, the worlds largest outside the U.S., with yields on top-rated notes rising 139 basis points in the past year. Its also meant the overwhelming majority of puttable bonds are now ripe for the exercising, adding to concerns expressed by ratings companies that the strain on cash flows will lead to more missed payments.
Right now liquidity conditions are relatively tight and financing costs have been high,said Christopher Lee, managing director of corporate ratings at S&P Global Ratings, in an interview. The financing environment is not very conducive for issuers and they may face refinancing pressure, even defaults.
Some 82 percent of Chinese bonds with these options are now in the money, after yields climbed since late 2016, according to a Fitch Ratings Inc. report from June 28. That means investors have an incentive to put the bonds back to the company or ask for higher coupons to match the changed interest-rate environment.
From mid-2018, many companies will face the problem of puts becoming exercisable, said Huang Weiping, senior analyst at Industrial Securities Co. in Shanghai. About 80 percent of investors will likely want to put the bonds back to the company and get cash back into their pockets.
Companies sold bonds at much lower rates in 2015 and 2016 than the current rates, so they will be forced to honor the put options, according to Deng Rui, chief investment officer for fixed income at Changjiang Securities Co. in Beijing.
His fund exercised the put option on one bond in April and Deng plans to do the same on several other bonds in the near future. All of those debentures were sold in 2015.
Liquidity pressure from put clauses has already spurred some casualties in China. Xinyang City Hongchang Pipe and Gas Project couldnt fully repay investors when theyexercised options on June 20. It was deemed a default by China International Capital Corp. State-owned Sinosteel Corp. had asked investorsnot to put the bonds after the option became exercisable on Oct. 20, 2015.
We do not expect puttable bonds to cause systemic stress, but some companies could face difficulties if liquidity tightens further, Fitch said in the June report.
For issuers, one way to pre-empt liquidity pressures is to offer higher interest rates. China Evergrande Group hiked the coupon rate by 100 basis points on 6.8 billion yuan of notes sold in 2015, starting on the date when the put option on the securities becameexercisable. As a result, creditors decided to demand redemption on less than 1 percent of the bonds.
The most important business stories of the day.
Get Bloomberg’s daily newsletter.
Investors will be keeping a keen eye on conditions in China for the coming year, with data compiled by Bloomberg showing the peak in property bond put dates coming in 2018 and 2019.Investors may respond to any easing in liquidity stress by deciding against putting back their bonds, S&Ps Lee said. Conditions have improved recently, with 10-year government bond yields falling nine basis points from a two-year high reached in May to stand at3.6 percent.
Some holders are seeking opportunities to get rid of property bonds amid regulatory tightening in the sector, so developers face particularly high pressure for early redemptions, according to Deng at Changjiang Securities.
Isolated problems cannot be ruled out, with companies that are heavily reliant on puttable bonds being likely to face pressure in the event of a significant tightening of liquidity conditions, Fitch said in the June report.
With assistance by Jing Zhao, and Lianting Tu
Continue reading here:
China Inc.’s Next Debt Headache Is $580 Billion of Put Options Coming Due – Bloomberg
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- Prosecutors request more mental testing in Fayetteville murder case - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Lake Charles man accused of choking pregnant woman in front of child - KATC Lafayette News - July 31st, 2017
- Lake Charles man charged after hitting pregnant woman in face, choking her until she passes out - 12newsnow.com - July 31st, 2017
- Tampa man arrested in fatal motel shooting | Tampa Bay Times - Tampabay.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Leslie Potts - Murfreesboro Post - July 31st, 2017
- LOVELL,, Harvey Lee - Roanoke Times - July 30th, 2017
- China Bond Buyers Quiz Taxi Drivers to See If a Credit Is Good - Bloomberg - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Celebrating the designer's extraordinary costumes for Bram Stoker's Dracula - The Independent - July 12th, 2017
- Home Movies/Out on Digital: July 13, 2017 - Shepherd Express - July 11th, 2017
- Leptospirosis rears its ugly head - The Star Online - July 11th, 2017
- Arrests, July 11, 2017 - News-Press Now - July 11th, 2017
- Lubbock Police Arrest 16-Year-Old Boy Wanted in Murder - KFYO.com - News/Talk 790 KFYO - July 8th, 2017
- Teen arrested for Selma shooting that left star athlete dead - Idaho Statesman - July 8th, 2017
- Hip and shoulder ends police chase - Perth Now - July 6th, 2017
- Man in Mercedes who 'rammed' Fremantle parking inspector arrested after chase - WAtoday - July 6th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero