Diana, Princess of Wales, was a good person. And look what happened to her.
She was a wonderful parent, and beautiful, and athletic, with an esthetic sense that changed the look of an era and a talent for ambassadorship that served Great Britain well. Everything she touched she made better.
Twenty years ago, she died horribly at age 36. Wednesday will be the anniversary of her burial.
Diana was something of a disappointment when she was born. Since girls couldnt inherit the estate, her parents needed a boy. Prince Charles didnt want her after she gave birth to his male heirs. Her in-laws removed her full royal title after her divorce.
And then there was nowhere to bury her. Her body couldnt be placed in St. Georges Chapel at Windsor Castle with the rest of the royals because she had been cast out. It was a blessing. It seemed too grisly to imagine her among those who had mistreated her.
As for her birth family, the Spencer vault in a church near Althorp was too open and vulnerable for someone of her fame. So out of love and a duty of care, they put her body on a tiny island in a lake on the Althorp estate so no one could ever violate her privacy again.
And there this dear good loving person lies, in a lead-lined coffin in an unmarked grave, never to see her children grow up, never to know her laughing grandchildren, George and Charlotte.
Women who stick their head above the parapet should expect to lose it. Its as true today as it was in 1997.
Dianas life was beautiful in some ways, nightmarish in others. Despite doing so much good campaigning against land mines, helping change attitudes toward people with HIV she was trapped in a horror movie.
The 2017 American drama Get Out, about a young Black man invited for a weekend with his white girlfriends parents, is about a young person picking up clues, bit by bit, that he is in terrible danger. The servants are haunted and semi-frozen. Its an echo of Dianas experience with the royal family, full of unexplained tears, blank stares, strange tastes, imponderables.
Did anyone whisper get out to Diana? Her marriage had become a trap. Her children were hostages. She feared that leaving the powerful, secretive and massively funded royal corporation would mean losing her boys.
Monarchy seems unnatural to Canadians, and it is, post-Diana. But look at whats on offer. Prince Charles is an awkward, stilted man whose country gave him almost unimaginable luxury but who sacrificed nothing in exchange, nothing. How did Mrs. Parker Bowles, whose virtues elude everyone but him, create this mess?
Diana said in a filmed conversation that the Queen had been unsparing when she went to her for help after Charles returned to his mistress. Charles is hopeless, the Queen had told her.
If we must have a monarchy, lets make way for Prince William. Great Britain might get back what it lost with Diana. Never underestimate soft power. Canada has it. We have landscape to spare, a reputation for fairness, a habit of apologizing, and then the magic personal bit, which is basically Hadrien Trudeau, 3, cheerfully hopping around with his hands in his pockets.
People matter. Temperament matters. Human warmth matters. Consider Trump. There, Ive made my case.
Great Britain, clumsily Brexiting, is a shadow of its former self, by which I mean the nation that saved the planet from tyranny in the Second World War.
The core institutions, the NHS and the BBC, are starved of funds. Universities degrade and journalism withers as the EU tries to contain its laughter. Towers burn. Prime Minister Theresa May looks foolish and Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn lives in a distant era.
It is a nation in rapid decline. Britain is the United States writ small. There is no central figure in British life once the Queen reaches her end. Diana could have been that person but she was destroyed.
Rewatching her funeral brings the same shock I felt in 1997, with the singing of Libera me (Deliver me) from Verdis Requiem sounding eerily like a young woman screaming in pain.
Im trying to choose which particular aspect of Dianas nature sent her to her bloody end in a Paris tunnel, almost pre-buried, with paparazzi touching her and photographing her as her torn heart flooded her with blood.
It was her relentless hopefulness, her belief that the people who surrounded her were good. They were not.
Her last words were, My God, what has happened?
- Top 15 Horror Movies to See in 2019! | Arrow in the Head - January 10th, 2019
- The 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018 - vulture.com - December 26th, 2018
- Best horror movies: scary films to stream or buy in 2018 ... - August 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com Horror Movies & Films on DVD and Blu-Ray - July 26th, 2018
- Box Office: 'It' Is Now The Highest-Grossing R-Rated ... - July 22nd, 2018
- | Reviewing the Hell Out of Horror Movies. - July 16th, 2018
- Arachnophobia (film) - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2018
- The Last Horror Movie - Wikipedia - June 19th, 2018
- Horror Domain | Horror Movie News, Trailers, Reviews ... - June 18th, 2018
- 100 Best Horror Movies of All Time - September 20th, 2017
- Sorensen: Horror movies don't deserve bad reputation - The Daily Iowan - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' is a waking nightmare, curated from a catalogue of horror-movie tropes - Washington Post - September 7th, 2017
- 'It was like something you see in a horror movie': Irma survivors tell of devastation - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Rough flight 'like a horror movie': Etihad Airways passenger - The West Australian - September 7th, 2017
- /Answers: Our Favorite Horror Movie Villains - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Review: 'It' doesn't clown around with horror-movie clichs - Seattle Times - September 6th, 2017
- Horror Movie Magic: The CGI that has made films even scarier - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Letter: Don't star in a (traffic) horror movie - Mountain Xpress - September 6th, 2017
- Thelma Trailer: Norway's Oscar Submission is a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Stephen King's 'It' Arrives at a Terrifying Time for the Movie Business - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' Early Buzz: A Delirious, Divisive Horror Movie Designed to Attack Its Audience - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Can 'It' Reverse the Trend of Terrible September Horror Films? - Film School Rejects - September 6th, 2017
- Annabelle 2 Beats Get Out as 2017's Biggest Horror Movie - MovieWeb - September 5th, 2017
- Police warning over 'killer clown' craze set to return after horror movie IT released - Coventry Telegraph - September 5th, 2017
- Sequels and Lies: What Hollywood's Disastrous Summer Really Means for the Future of Movies - The Ringer (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Killer clown' craze set to return as remake of horror movie IT is released in UK - Metro - September 3rd, 2017
- It movie early reviews: This clown horror film is frighteningly good - The Indian Express - September 3rd, 2017
- 'The bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie' - Mum speaks about terrifying condition that almost killed her ... - Independent.ie - September 3rd, 2017
- Horror News Network's Fall 2017 Horror Movie Preview - Horror News Network - September 3rd, 2017
- 'Friend Request' Trailer: Witches and Social Media Team Up for a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 3rd, 2017
- 'The bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie' - Mum speaks about terrifying incident that almost killed her ... - Independent.ie - September 2nd, 2017
- Netflix's Little Evil puts a new comic spin on the evil-kid trope - The Verge - September 2nd, 2017
- Horror on Netflix: September 2017 Additions - 1428 Elm - September 2nd, 2017
- Horror Movies and Video Games Get the Goosebumps Cover Treatment - Dread Central - September 2nd, 2017
- How They Did It: Shooting a Flashlit Prison Horror Movie, Against the Night, on the Sony a7S - MovieMaker Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Why Are Horror Movie Characters So Dumb? | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - September 1st, 2017
- Couple produces horror film for festival - Newnan Times-Herald - September 1st, 2017
- Reading Stephen King's It is an exhausting way to spend a summer - The Verge - September 1st, 2017
- Run-of-the-mill horror film 'Temple' delivers the same old evil spirits - Los Angeles Times - August 31st, 2017
- 'It' horror movie can't scare real-life clowns - Fox News - August 31st, 2017
- Brooklyn Horror Film Festival screening Kane Hodder documentary, Steven Yeun-starring Mayhem - EW.com - August 31st, 2017
- With 'The Shape of Water,' Guillermo del Toro Realizes a Lifelong Monster Dream - Variety - August 31st, 2017
- It's like something out of a horror movie - Crowborough Life - August 31st, 2017
- It took four years to restore horror classic Suspiria watch an exclusive clip - EW.com (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Fall Movie Guide: 35 Superhero, Scifi, and Fantasy Movies to Look Out For - Gizmodo - August 31st, 2017
- The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988) - IMDb - August 30th, 2017
- 7 scary Irish horror movies - IrishCentral - August 30th, 2017
- 'mother!' TV Spots & Viral Site Offer New Clues to Darren Aronofsky's Mysterious Horror Movie - Collider.com - August 30th, 2017
- Stephen King 'Bans' Trump from Seeing His New Horror Flick - Fox News Insider - August 29th, 2017
- 10 Feminist Horror Movies That Will Make You Appreciate the Genre in a Whole New Way - MarieClaire.com - August 28th, 2017
- Hudson Valley Won't Be 'Quiet Place' During Horror Movie Production - Greenburgh Daily Voice - August 28th, 2017
- A Tribute to Tobe Hooper, Whose 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre' Was, and Is, the Horror Film of Its Time - Variety - August 28th, 2017
- Purga, the new Mexican Netflix for horror movie lovers - Vallarta Daily - August 28th, 2017
- It remake tipped to make 38million in biggest September opening weekend of all time after critics hail the horror ... - The Sun - August 28th, 2017
- All of the Clues that 'AHS: Cult' Features Your Favorite Horror Movie Villains - HarpersBAZAAR.com - August 28th, 2017
- Only Clowns Can Attend This Special Screening Of Horror Film 'It' - HuffPost - August 26th, 2017
- 'Red Christmas' Review: Australia's Latest Horror Export Isn't Much of a Present - IndieWire - August 26th, 2017
- This Is a Golden Age of Low-Budget Horror - WIRED - August 26th, 2017
- IT movie: BIG NEWS on Stephen King horror's box office - how many people will it terrify? - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Mother!: everything we know about Jennifer Lawrence's insane, top secret horror movie - Telegraph.co.uk - August 24th, 2017
- Exclusive: Spooky 'Temple' Clip Teases a Paranormal Predicament - Collider.com - August 24th, 2017
- Thai-set horror film 'Ghost House' adroitly keeps the audience on edge - Los Angeles Times - August 24th, 2017
- Todd Tucker: The Terror of Hallow's Eve is a horror movie with a message - 1428 Elm - August 24th, 2017
- Horror movie fans connect at Peter Vullo's 'Thursday Night Terrors' - Buffalo News - August 24th, 2017
- Brutal Beauty: 10 Visually Stunning Horror Movies You Can't Unsee - Collider.com - August 24th, 2017
- 'One of the best horror films of recent years' is showing on TV on Wednesday night - JOE - August 24th, 2017
- How to Become a Horror Movie-Worthy Exorcist IRL - Inverse - August 22nd, 2017
- 10 sci-fi, fantasy and horror films featuring a total eclipse - SYFY WIRE (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- 17 films to catch at Horror Channel FrightFest 2017 - Den of Geek UK - August 22nd, 2017
- FearFest are hosting FREE horror films at a spooky drive in - Gloucestershire Live - August 22nd, 2017
- The 'Stranger Things' Kids Meet Famous Horror Movie Villains In 'Slasher Things' - UPROXX - August 22nd, 2017
- Here's How Real the Exorcisms and Demons Are in Horror Movies ... - Inverse - August 22nd, 2017
- The truth behind horror movie Annabelle: Creation, a real-life tale of demonic doll's reign of terror ending in 'man ... - Birmingham Mail - August 22nd, 2017
- Stranger Things Meets 1980s Horror in the Excellent Mash-Up Slasher Things - Gizmodo - August 22nd, 2017
- This horror movie is 20 years old this week, and proves that sometimes film critics get it very wrong - JOE - August 20th, 2017
- Annabelle Creation Movie Released: Top 5 Upcoming Horror Movies of 2017 That You Need to Watch - India.com - August 19th, 2017
- How Netflix saved Death Note from an early grave - EW.com - August 19th, 2017
- Cambrils shoot out ' was like a horror movie' - Telegraph.co.uk - August 19th, 2017
- Five Horror Movies That Actually Became Real - TVOvermind - August 19th, 2017
- These Ghastly Posters Reimagine Harry Potter As A Horror Movie - Konbini US - August 19th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero