Diana, Princess of Wales, was a good person. And look what happened to her.
She was a wonderful parent, and beautiful, and athletic, with an esthetic sense that changed the look of an era and a talent for ambassadorship that served Great Britain well. Everything she touched she made better.
Twenty years ago, she died horribly at age 36. Wednesday will be the anniversary of her burial.
Diana was something of a disappointment when she was born. Since girls couldnt inherit the estate, her parents needed a boy. Prince Charles didnt want her after she gave birth to his male heirs. Her in-laws removed her full royal title after her divorce.
And then there was nowhere to bury her. Her body couldnt be placed in St. Georges Chapel at Windsor Castle with the rest of the royals because she had been cast out. It was a blessing. It seemed too grisly to imagine her among those who had mistreated her.
As for her birth family, the Spencer vault in a church near Althorp was too open and vulnerable for someone of her fame. So out of love and a duty of care, they put her body on a tiny island in a lake on the Althorp estate so no one could ever violate her privacy again.
And there this dear good loving person lies, in a lead-lined coffin in an unmarked grave, never to see her children grow up, never to know her laughing grandchildren, George and Charlotte.
Women who stick their head above the parapet should expect to lose it. Its as true today as it was in 1997.
Dianas life was beautiful in some ways, nightmarish in others. Despite doing so much good campaigning against land mines, helping change attitudes toward people with HIV she was trapped in a horror movie.
The 2017 American drama Get Out, about a young Black man invited for a weekend with his white girlfriends parents, is about a young person picking up clues, bit by bit, that he is in terrible danger. The servants are haunted and semi-frozen. Its an echo of Dianas experience with the royal family, full of unexplained tears, blank stares, strange tastes, imponderables.
Did anyone whisper get out to Diana? Her marriage had become a trap. Her children were hostages. She feared that leaving the powerful, secretive and massively funded royal corporation would mean losing her boys.
Monarchy seems unnatural to Canadians, and it is, post-Diana. But look at whats on offer. Prince Charles is an awkward, stilted man whose country gave him almost unimaginable luxury but who sacrificed nothing in exchange, nothing. How did Mrs. Parker Bowles, whose virtues elude everyone but him, create this mess?
Diana said in a filmed conversation that the Queen had been unsparing when she went to her for help after Charles returned to his mistress. Charles is hopeless, the Queen had told her.
If we must have a monarchy, lets make way for Prince William. Great Britain might get back what it lost with Diana. Never underestimate soft power. Canada has it. We have landscape to spare, a reputation for fairness, a habit of apologizing, and then the magic personal bit, which is basically Hadrien Trudeau, 3, cheerfully hopping around with his hands in his pockets.
People matter. Temperament matters. Human warmth matters. Consider Trump. There, Ive made my case.
Great Britain, clumsily Brexiting, is a shadow of its former self, by which I mean the nation that saved the planet from tyranny in the Second World War.
The core institutions, the NHS and the BBC, are starved of funds. Universities degrade and journalism withers as the EU tries to contain its laughter. Towers burn. Prime Minister Theresa May looks foolish and Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn lives in a distant era.
It is a nation in rapid decline. Britain is the United States writ small. There is no central figure in British life once the Queen reaches her end. Diana could have been that person but she was destroyed.
Rewatching her funeral brings the same shock I felt in 1997, with the singing of Libera me (Deliver me) from Verdis Requiem sounding eerily like a young woman screaming in pain.
Im trying to choose which particular aspect of Dianas nature sent her to her bloody end in a Paris tunnel, almost pre-buried, with paparazzi touching her and photographing her as her torn heart flooded her with blood.
It was her relentless hopefulness, her belief that the people who surrounded her were good. They were not.
Her last words were, My God, what has happened?
- 5 TV Shows That Could Be Turned into Great Horror Movies - Bloody Disgusting - November 21st, 2019
- 2019: The Year of Horror Movies - Manitou Messenger - November 21st, 2019
- iconic horror movie posters are reimagined using fuzzy felt and buttons - Designboom - November 21st, 2019
- White House horror film in the works from Dont Breathes Fede Alvarez - Yahoo Entertainment - November 21st, 2019
- Top 25 Horror Movies of the 2010s - Consequence of Sound - November 21st, 2019
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Movie Facts That Will Make Your Head Roll - CBS Sports Radio 910 - November 21st, 2019
- The best and worst movies of the past decade: The 2010s - Business Insider - November 21st, 2019
- 'Joker,' 'Lighthouse': Past dark films may have paved the way to Oscars - Los Angeles Times - November 19th, 2019
- White House Horror Movie in the Works From 'Don't Breathe' Filmmaker - Hollywood Reporter - November 19th, 2019
- Peer Inside the Otherworldly Studio of Andra Ursua, a Sculptor Who Transforms Horror-Movie Props Into Eerie Totems - artnet News - November 19th, 2019
- Heads Will Roll: Looking Back at Tim Burton's Gothic Horror Film 'Sleepy Hollow' 20 Years Later - Bloody Disgusting - November 19th, 2019
- Bong Joon Ho's Next Movie Will Mix Action and Horror - Bloody Disgusting - November 19th, 2019
- The Past, Present, and Future of Horror Movies - KCRW - November 19th, 2019
- The Hard Truth of Growing Up: Coming of Age Horror - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 19th, 2019
- 10 Horror Movies That Are Only Scary The First Time | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2019
- The Conjuring 3, The Grudge, and the 18 most anticipated horror films of 2020 - 1428 Elm - November 18th, 2019
- 'The Georgetown Project': Kevin Williamson Horror Film Adds Sam Worthington and David Hyde Pierce! - Bloody Disgusting - November 18th, 2019
- The Streaming Era Has Finally Arrived. Everything Is About to Change. - The New York Times - November 18th, 2019
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Ought to Make You Roll Your Eyes, and Yet - Vulture - November 18th, 2019
- Blumhouse and Hulu's 'Pilgrim' is the Crazy Thanksgiving Horror Movie We've Been Waiting For - Bloody Disgusting - November 18th, 2019
- The Best Horror Movie On Disney Plus Is the Original Sleeping Beauty - Fatherly - November 18th, 2019
- The Most Bizarre Thanksgiving Horror Films Ever Made - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 18th, 2019
- Oregon Actress Who Portrays Killer in Upcoming Horror Movie Charged with Killing Uncle in Real Life - Inside Edition - November 18th, 2019
- The Co-Writer of Black Christmas Sets the Record Straight Over the Horror Movie's PG-13 Rating - Gizmodo - November 18th, 2019
- Child's Play: What It Gets Right That Other Horror Movies Don't - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2019
- Five horror movies that influenced the ghost tale The Remaking - Entertainment Weekly News - November 18th, 2019
- From 'Doctor Sleep' to 'It Chapter 2': why horror film directors need to do better - The National - November 18th, 2019
- Now Scream This: The Best Streaming Horror Movies Based on Books - /FILM - November 18th, 2019
- Wes Cravens 10 Best Movies (According to IMDb) | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2019
- 13 fantastic movies you probably didn't watch this year, but should - INSIDER - November 18th, 2019
- Get Out the Book: Read Jordan Peeles Notes On His Iconic Film - Film School Rejects - November 18th, 2019
- Top 100 Horror Movies - Rotten Tomatoes - Movie Trailers - November 9th, 2019
- 10 Deadliest Horror Movie Monsters, Ranked | ScreenRant - June 1st, 2019
- Netflix horror movie 'The Perfection' is making people sick - May 29th, 2019
- Them (2006 film) - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2019
- Must-see horror movies this summer, from 'Brightburn' to ... - May 23rd, 2019
- 20 Funniest Things About Horror Movies That Make No Sense - May 21st, 2019
- Horror Movie Podcast | Reviewing the Hell Out of Horror Movies - April 29th, 2019
- 'The Curse of La Llorona' horror movie is a box-office hit ... - April 25th, 2019
- Body at Brighton Rock Review: A Survival Movie with a ... - April 25th, 2019
- Terror TV: 5 horror films that would make great television - April 17th, 2019
- Why People Read Wikipedia Pages for Horror Movies - April 2nd, 2019
- 'Us': Jordan Peele switches horror spotlight to a black family - March 22nd, 2019
- 1980s horror movie poster logos and typography. - March 13th, 2019
- Aquaman Spinoff Horror Movie The Trench Is In Development - March 9th, 2019
- The Best Scary Horror Movies On Netflix Now In 2019 - February 26th, 2019
- The Ape Man - Wikipedia - January 29th, 2019
- Top 15 Horror Movies to See in 2019! | Arrow in the Head - January 10th, 2019
- The 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018 - vulture.com - December 26th, 2018
- Best horror movies: scary films to stream or buy in 2018 ... - August 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com Horror Movies & Films on DVD and Blu-Ray - July 26th, 2018
- Box Office: 'It' Is Now The Highest-Grossing R-Rated ... - July 22nd, 2018
- | Reviewing the Hell Out of Horror Movies. - July 16th, 2018
- Arachnophobia (film) - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2018
- The Last Horror Movie - Wikipedia - June 19th, 2018
- Horror Domain | Horror Movie News, Trailers, Reviews ... - June 18th, 2018
- 100 Best Horror Movies of All Time - September 20th, 2017
- Sorensen: Horror movies don't deserve bad reputation - The Daily Iowan - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' is a waking nightmare, curated from a catalogue of horror-movie tropes - Washington Post - September 7th, 2017
- 'It was like something you see in a horror movie': Irma survivors tell of devastation - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Rough flight 'like a horror movie': Etihad Airways passenger - The West Australian - September 7th, 2017
- /Answers: Our Favorite Horror Movie Villains - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Review: 'It' doesn't clown around with horror-movie clichs - Seattle Times - September 6th, 2017
- Horror Movie Magic: The CGI that has made films even scarier - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Letter: Don't star in a (traffic) horror movie - Mountain Xpress - September 6th, 2017
- Thelma Trailer: Norway's Oscar Submission is a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Stephen King's 'It' Arrives at a Terrifying Time for the Movie Business - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' Early Buzz: A Delirious, Divisive Horror Movie Designed to Attack Its Audience - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Can 'It' Reverse the Trend of Terrible September Horror Films? - Film School Rejects - September 6th, 2017
- Annabelle 2 Beats Get Out as 2017's Biggest Horror Movie - MovieWeb - September 5th, 2017
- Police warning over 'killer clown' craze set to return after horror movie IT released - Coventry Telegraph - September 5th, 2017
- Sequels and Lies: What Hollywood's Disastrous Summer Really Means for the Future of Movies - The Ringer (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Killer clown' craze set to return as remake of horror movie IT is released in UK - Metro - September 3rd, 2017
- It movie early reviews: This clown horror film is frighteningly good - The Indian Express - September 3rd, 2017
- 'The bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie' - Mum speaks about terrifying condition that almost killed her ... - Independent.ie - September 3rd, 2017
- Horror News Network's Fall 2017 Horror Movie Preview - Horror News Network - September 3rd, 2017
- 'Friend Request' Trailer: Witches and Social Media Team Up for a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 3rd, 2017
- 'The bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie' - Mum speaks about terrifying incident that almost killed her ... - Independent.ie - September 2nd, 2017
- Netflix's Little Evil puts a new comic spin on the evil-kid trope - The Verge - September 2nd, 2017
- Horror on Netflix: September 2017 Additions - 1428 Elm - September 2nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero