The horror genrehas seen phases of ups and downs, and it seems like the 2010s were a fairly bad decade for the genre. Audiences were consistently bombarded with cheap, unimaginative, and unnecessarily horror flicks.
RELATED:The 10 Best Horror Movies Of All Time (According To Rotten Tomatoes)
Be it the misuse of the found footage genre, countlessSaw franchiseripoffs, or absolutely pointless and creatively bankrupt sequels, the genre has tested the patience of its fan. The list depicts what the bottom of the barrel looked like throughout the decade.
In this movie, seven teens are stalked by a murderous serial killer whoreturned to his home town 16 years after his disappearance.These teens were born on the same day as the killer allegedly died.
It is preposterous to believe that the movie is written and directed by the same man who gave the audience the legendary Freddy Krueger. The horror master made a dull and banal movie which had a sloppy storyline and a cheap 3-D gimmick. It didn't quite succeed at being a slasher flick, and it was far froman immersive character piece.
11/11/11 is a movie involving prophecies, religion, and looming apocalypses. The hero travels to Barcelona after the death of his wife and child to meet his estranged religious brother and terminally ill father. There, he finds out about the impending events that will plague his life and will take place onNovember 11th, 2011.
RELATED:The Weirdest Horror Films Now Streaming
The central character obsesses over the number... and thats pretty much about it. Jump scares are ineffective, and the scares through plot also dont work very well due to the dull, ludicrous, and done-to-death plot.
In a sequel to Piranha 3D, the piranhas attack a newly opened water park.
RELATED:Underwater: The 10 Most Underrated Aquatic Horror Movies, Ranked
The major issue with the movie was its never-ending build-up for the ultimate blood bath. The premise was over-explained, and the pay off ends up being way too short. Eventually, when the action does start, the filmmakers fail to show any carnage which gore geeks have not seen several times before.
Inthe final installment in the oft-celebrated Scary Moviefranchise, a couple moves into a haunted house along with their newly adopted nieces and nephew who are possessed by demons.
With a facile plot and outlandish execution, the movie failed to deliver in terms of either horror or comedy. Neither Charlie Sheen nor Lindsay Lohan could rescue this flick from its own shoddy writing. The movie has no rhyme or reason, and it totally bombed, as the few laughs it generated were not enough.
A couple mysteriously goes missing one night on their honeymoon, and later find out about an earlier-than-planned pregnancy. The pregnant wife starts exhibiting a dark change in her mind and body which are recorded by her husband for posterity, and they later find out the sinister origin of these changes.
RELATED:10 Of The Most Underrated Horror Movies Of 2019
The movies biggest flaw lies in its lack of originality. It progresses by using the uninspired acts of the horror genre like nosebleeds, a distressed priest, and pregnant women craving for raw meat. Further, the director failed to create an occult atmosphere, which resulted in anunconvincing and unimaginative final product.
This found-footage flick begins when drama students gather at their school 20 years after a horrific tragedy during a school play. They make an imprudent attempt to resurrect the failed show to pay tribute to the anniversary of the accident. However, they soon realize that some things are better left alone.
An unambitious film that adds nothing to the found-footage horror genre,The Gallows relies on all-too-familiar techniques of this horror sub-genre, and it didn'timpress audiences.
To make this movie, the same script from the previous Cabin Fever (2002) was utilized in which five friends went to a remote cabin for their vacation and ended up falling victim to a flesh-eating disease.
The movie is a pointless remake that has a lot of graphic horror and absolutely no sense of levity to balance it out. The repugnance yielded by the skin-rotting, screaming characters and grungy dogs only got worse as it went on, and it was a missed opportunity to correct the original film's failures.
Next in the list is a comedy-horror sequel in which Madea and the gang embark on a trip to a haunted campground. They must run for their lives when monsters, goblins, and the boogeyman are released.
RELATED:10 Times Horror Movie Franchise Jumped the Shark
The movie is full of cringey performances, tired jokes, and nonsensical plot-points. With a laugh here and a few punchlines there, the film surpassed its predecessor in terms of ridiculousness.
Fascinated by the lore of Slender Man on the internet, a group of friends tries to prove that Slender Man is a myth... and then one of them goes missing.
RELATED:The Invisible Man: 10 Other Movies That Give A Classic Monster A Wild Update
There was a total lack of character personality, and not just for the heroes, but the slender man itself. Relatively solid performances from the actors couldnt help much in lifting the weak story and the lack of genuine scares.
The movie is based on Hollywoods chilling murder cases from 1969, with Sharon Tate being the central character, who suffered premonitions of her killing by Charles Manson's followers.
The movie was one of the worst films of 2019, with claims of it being offensively exploitative of the real-life tragedies. A poor attempt at yielding unnecessary shock value which was worsened by badperformances.
NEXT:10 Underrated Found Footage Horror Movies You Can Stream Today On Amazon Prime
Next10 Films Starring Game Of Thrones Actors You Probably Haven't Heard Of
- 10 Critically Acclaimed Horror Movies That Were Box Office Bombs - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- Netflix fans are scared to close their eyes after watching this new horror movie - BGR - July 8th, 2020
- Saws Tobin Bell Talks Mexican Horror Belzebuth And Jigsaw - Forbes - July 8th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movie Creature Features That Broke All The Rules - WhatCulture - July 8th, 2020
- In Bulbbul, moment of dread is not about female demon, but husband inflicting violence - The Indian Express - July 8th, 2020
- Best Shark Horror Movies (& Where To Watch) | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- Video: Are These REALLY the 20 Scaries Horror Movie Endings of All Time? - Dread Central - July 8th, 2020
- Bollywood Horror Movie Quiz: Can you guess these films based on their plot? - Republic World - Republic World - July 8th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movie Directors That Quit The Genre - WhatCulture - July 8th, 2020
- Phase IV: How The Indie Horror Movie Created The 1980s Crop Circle Craze - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- SPL!NG Movie Review: 8 2oceansvibe News | South African and international news - 2oceansvibe News - July 8th, 2020
- Tobin Bell Talks New Horror Thriller Belzebuth, His Saw Legacy and More [Exclusive] - MovieWeb - July 8th, 2020
- 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Scream Franchise - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- Rotten Outlook: 5 Rotten Horror Movies Released After 2010 That Are Actually Good - Dread Central - July 7th, 2020
- What to stream this week: Relic, The Old Guard, Greyhound, Rosehaven and more - NEWS.com.au - July 7th, 2020
- 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer' Is a Slice of Silly Slasher Cheese [We Love '90s Horror] - Bloody Disgusting - July 7th, 2020
- Freddy vs. Jason: How Kane Hodder Subtly Made It Into The Movie - Screen Rant - July 7th, 2020
- Best horror movies on Netflix (July 2020) - Monsters and Critics - July 6th, 2020
- A Very Underrated Horror Movie Has Been Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 5th, 2020
- The mating of monkfish will leave you speechless: its almost a horror movie - InTallaght - July 5th, 2020
- 6 Of The Most Stylish Thrillers Of All Time - British Vogue - July 5th, 2020
- 'Relic' Is the First Terrifying, Must-See Horror Movie of 2020 - The Daily Beast - July 4th, 2020
- 10 Great 4th of July Horror Movies Streaming Now - /FILM - July 4th, 2020
- Explained: Why fans of horror movies may be better equipped to deal with Covid-19 - The Indian Express - July 4th, 2020
- Splice: Why The Sci-Fi Horror Movie Took So Long To Make - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The director, writer and star of horror film I Am Lisa on how the film came together ahead of Thursday's Boulevard Drive-In premiere - Kansas City... - July 4th, 2020
- Emily Mortimer, Bella Heathcote and Robyn Nevin star in Relic, but dementia is the real ghoul - Sydney Morning Herald - July 4th, 2020
- 4th of July Movies on Netflix to Watch and Feel Patriotic Today - Decider - July 4th, 2020
- Every George Romero Zombie Movie, Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Vivek Oberoi announces second film as producer, a horror-thriller titled Rosie - The Saffron Chapter - Cinema Express - July 4th, 2020
- 'Drive-in' horror shows in Tokyo are providing respite amid COVID-19 scare - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Researchers say fans of apocalyptic movies better prepared for coronavirus pandemic - Republic World - Republic World - July 4th, 2020
- We Are What We Are: How A Modern Twist Changed The Cannibal Sub-Genre - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The House That Jack Built: Why The Movie Was So Controversial - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Parody Done Right: 20 Years of 'Scary Movie' (2000) - PopHorror - July 4th, 2020
- Fantasy Island: Delivering dreams and nightmares - The Phuket News - July 4th, 2020
- Why The Poltergeist Movies Were Defined By Cutting-Edge Practical Effects - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- A Horror Movie Shot During the Pandemic Is on the Way /Film - /FILM - July 2nd, 2020
- Netflix Added Some Big Horror Movies Today To Kick Off July - We Got This Covered - July 2nd, 2020
- We are the virus: body horror films reflect humanity at its most grotesque - Document Journal - July 2nd, 2020
- 'Churuli' Trailer: 'Jallikattu' Director Is Here With Another Atmospheric Horror Film - Mashable India - July 2nd, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in July - The New York Times - July 2nd, 2020
- Dan Stevens Talks the Thoughtful Horror of THE RENTAL - Nerdist - July 2nd, 2020
- What you can watch at the drive-ins, and 4 reopened movie theaters, in Milwaukee on Fourth of July weekend - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - July 2nd, 2020
- Film review: The Wretched - InDaily - July 2nd, 2020
- Shudder's Horror-Comedy 'DeadTectives' Brings Ghost-Busting to DVD This Month [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 2nd, 2020
- Horror movie filmed in KC area premieres Thursday - KMBC Kansas City - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Scariest Movies to Watch on Netflix Right Now - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Terrifying Horror Movies to Watch While at Home This Summer - Yes! Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- Summer of Fear: 24 New Horror Movies, TV Shows and Games Releasing in July 2020 - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Best Halloween Movies of All Time - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Body Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- An Unexpected Horror Movie Is Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 1st, 2020
- Grant Summerland Explores the Creepy Side of Mountain Life - Good Times Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- There's A New Horror Movie Called "You Should Have Left," So I Watched It For Everyone Who Can't Handle Scary Movies - BuzzFeed - July 1st, 2020
- Coming To Shudder In July 2020: Plenty Of New And Disturbing Horror Movies To Binge In The Dark - GameSpot - July 1st, 2020
- How The Fall of the House of Usher Changed Horror Movies - Den of Geek US - July 1st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Hear Tracks From The Score of the Horror Film Followed - Bleeding Cool News - July 1st, 2020
- A Nice Vacation Turns Into a Complete Nightmare in Trailer for the Horror Film THE BEACH HOUSE - GeekTyrant - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Toothsome Predators - Gizmodo Australia - July 1st, 2020
- 'Amulet' Trailer: You Might Want to Think Twice Before Moving Into This House - /FILM - July 1st, 2020
- If you liked Bulbbul, here are 7 gripping horror movies and shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video - GQ India - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Pernicious Predators - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Splice: The Real Inspiration For The Film (& What It Got Right) - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- New 'bone-chilling' horror Relic looks set to be the scariest film of the year - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Horror movie drive-in tour to stop in CT - CT Post - June 25th, 2020
- Most Anticipated Horror Movies Of 2021 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Best Black Horror Movies from Blacula to The Girl with All the Gifts - Collider.com - June 25th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movies You Only Ever Watch Once - WhatCulture - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Is Adding Some Great New Horror Movies In July - We Got This Covered - June 25th, 2020
- When Horror Dishes Out Comeuppance: Did They Deserve It? - Horror Geek Life - June 25th, 2020
- The Moviegoer: Scary Cinema - Bay Weekly - June 25th, 2020
- The Horror is Really Inside of You: Josephine Decker and the Powerful Ambiguity of 'Shirley' [Interview] - Bloody Disgusting - June 25th, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 is a horror game and that's why it hurts - The Guardian - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Horror Rom-Com The Hills Have Eyes for You Gets Tucker and Dale Director - MovieWeb - June 25th, 2020
- Scream's Halloween Reference Gets The 1978 Movie Totally Wrong - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Paranormal Activity 7: When Will The Horror Movie Going To Return For The Next Part - The Digital Wise - June 25th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE Was Released in 1983 - Dread Central - June 25th, 2020
- Why Candyman Is The Most Important Horror Movie Of 2020 - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Kevin Bacon is here to tell you the correct way to watch a horror movie - KING5.com - June 24th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero