Horror films are notoriously hard to crack. A genre saturated with cliches, from isolated cabins to flesh-eating zombies, many movies were better not to have seen the light of day.
Rotten Tomatoes is a convenient tool to check which films were received particularly poorly. The aggregation review site encourages fans to rate every movie on their "Tomatometer" scale. A consistent score of 75 percent or above warrants a "certified fresh" seal of approval, while total turkeys are rated "rotten".
Below, is a roundup of the worst remakes, low-budget flicks, and cheesy thrills, as rated on Rotten Tomatoes.
A mysterious toxin sweeps America that causes people to attempt suicide. According to Rotten Tomatoes, this thrilling premise didn't quite deliver, with critics branding the movie "incoherent and unconvincing trifle."
A British horror film that's most memorable for starring Paris Hilton. Nine friends who attended an upper-class university together are trapped in a blizzard at a manor-house in Scotland. They open a haunted book and their lives are suddenly in jeopardy.
Joshua (Michael Stephenson) and his family must ward off evil goblins on vacation in the small town on Nilbog. The film holds an approval rating of 5 percent based on 21 reviews on Rotton Tomatoes.
With no real storyline, this erotic horror sees half-naked ghouls dance without any dialogue. For a whole 70 minutes.
Also known as "Jaws 4", this gory horror does not have the same prestige as Steven Spielberg's 1975 original. The community of Amity is terrorised again by a shark that wants to avenge her predecessor.
A grand total of zero percent on Rotten Tomatoes, this sequel in the horror anthology Creep Show is a certified flop.
A family relocate from bustling Brooklyn to a creaky manor in the countryside. It's not long before the dark history of the previous 19th century owners comes back to haunt them.
A rave turns sour when a group of college students are hunted by bloodthirsty zombies.
Inspired by a Stephen King story, a laundry machine is possessed by a homicidal demon from Hell. Take a look at these 15 better movies based on King's work.
This remake of the 1999 hit film was not received generously. Directed by Joe Berlinger, the supernatural won the Golden Raspberry Award for "Worst Remake or Sequel".
An older entry on the list, a former Soviet scientist is the victim of a nuclear explosion and roams the Nevada desert as a beast.
After astronaut Frank Douglas (Henry Hite) disappears in his spacecraft, it is believed he has transformed into a murderous monster.
Laine tries to console herself following the death of her best friend, Debbie. She unearths an ouija board and attempts to make contact, but instead starts a dialogue with a spirit called DZ.
Just as it sounds, a town in Wisconsin gets overrun with deadly spiders. It's up to NASA scientists Dr. Vance (Steve Brodie) and Dr. Jenny Langer (Barbara Hale) to rescue humanity.
An independent horror about a jealous woman who discovers her ex-boyfriend is dating someone new. Another 0 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, this film was panned by critics.
Despite an all-star cast involving Emily Mortimer and Gary Oldman this film's plot was slated by critics. A family looking to start a new life set sail on a boat that holds dark and mysterious secrets.
Imagine if you could receive voicemails from your future self that detailed the exact date, time and details of your death. Chilling in theory, this horror only received 0 percent on the Tomatometer.
Despite there being eight films in this horror franchise, all share similarly dire reviews. Every St. Patrick's Day all Leprechaun movies are streamed on SYFY.
As if the title wasn't catchy enough, this film has a similarly complicated plot involving a stripper, a fortune teller and an evil zombie.
Five medical students push the boundaries of science by stopping their hearts for short bursts of time, in order to provoke a near-death experience.
The clue's in the title here. A four-poster bed consumes lovers after a failed seduction attempt many years prior.
Victims die in horrific and mysterious ways, all exactly 48 hours after logging on to feardot.com. Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus brands the film: "As frustrating as a 404 error."
The third installment in the Halloween film series follows a madman who's planning a Celtic-inspired mass murder.
On the eve of her 18th birthday, a girl learns the harrowing truth about her devilish heritage.
A zombie epidemic takes hold in a strip club in Nebraska in this horror-comedy.
Five friends staying in a cabin are invaded by a flesh-eating virus, in a rehash of this well-worn horror trope.
A couple attempt to play God when they make a clone of their deceased son. But their lives start to go downhill when their new child reaches his 8th birthday.
Women rise from the dead to take revenge on a murderous cop in director Ulli Lommel's independent horror.
Another take on the haunted house trope, Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus concludes: "Darkness is an illogical, portentous mess."
The Hound of Hell (Snoop Dogg) guides audiences through four politically charged tales of Black horror. The hip-hop horror was not received well, amassing only 11 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
An unpalatable addition, a pair of cannibalistic brothers murder young women to use their body parts in food at their dilapidated restaurant.
The burden falls on a young security guard to track down escaped minuscule creatures in this low-budget horror.
A road trip goes horribly wrong when a family takes a wrong turn in Texas. They find themselves at the heart of a polygamous pagan cult that is searching for human sacrifices.
In this slasher film starring Larry Drake, a psychopath who believes he's a doctor becomes obsessed with a teenager with a heart condition.
The story of a supernatural detective gets a grand total of 1 percent on the Tomatometer, and is branded "inept on almost every level," by the critics consensus.
A Satanic cult abducts a young girl in the hopes of exploiting her supernatural powers.
A flock of mutated birds swarms a small town in California in this horror romance.
Set in a post-Armageddon future, this science-fiction slasher features a cryogenically frozen man who is revived on a boat with deadly consequences.
The ghosts of a shipwrecked crew of sailors come back a century later to haunt a town in coastal Oregan.
A gang of teens are stranded in a wax museum and risk becoming the next exhibit if they do not escape.
Whilst on a vacation in the Grand Canyon a family accidentally disturbs a supernatural entity.
An amorphous alien arrives in Lake Tahoe and is intent on feasting on unfortunate locals.
This American black-and-white 3D science-fiction film was made on an estimated budget of $16,000. It features a "Ro-Man" that attempts to annihilate the human race, but instead falls in love with a beautiful woman.
Three college students accidentally summon a supernatural entity in a parapsychology experiment. The American-German supernatural horror film features Harry Potter star Tom Felton.
Donna (Brittany Snow) is at senior prom when a psychopathic killer from her past storms in.
Three kids pick up a container that emits a deadly green vapor that happens to attract murderous Zombies.
Another failed remake, Rotten Tomatoes critic consensus reads: "Martyrs flays off everything that gave the original its icy horrific beauty, leaving us an empty, pointless remake."
A forensic psychiatrist has to think quickly when she discovers that almost all of her patient's multiple personalities are murder victims.
Isabella (Fernanda Andrade) enlists the help of two exorcists to establish whether her mother is possessed or mentally insane.
According to Rotten Tomatoes, the supernatural horror features "one of the worst endings in recent memory."
Here is the original post:
50 Horror Movies With the Worst Ratings on Rotten Tomatoes - Newsweek
- How to Watch a Horror Movie: 13 Steps (with Pictures ... - July 26th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Stream Now - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Box Office: Old Proves That M. Night Shyamalan Remains A Bankable Horror Director - Forbes - July 26th, 2021
- Netflixs new nerve-shredding horror movie has viewers jumping out of their seats - BGR - July 26th, 2021
- Netflix's New Horror Movie Has Users On The Edge Of Their Seats - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- The Action Horror Movie That Has Netflix Subscribers Gripping Their Seats - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Horror Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Hybrid horror-LGBTQ film shot in Danbury accepted to 20 festivals - Danbury News Times - July 26th, 2021
- 13 Psychological Horror Movies That Will Destroy Your Brain For All The Wrong Reasons - GameSpot - July 26th, 2021
- 'Director's Cut' Ends the Season with Horror Film 'The Field' July 23 - PBS Wisconsin - July 26th, 2021
- How the horror genre is dying in India sans innovation and imagination - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- 1960s to today: Popular movies filmed in the Las Cruces area - Las Cruces Sun-News - July 26th, 2021
- Streaming Horror Movies About the Elderly /Film - /FILM - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 5 Thai Horror Films on Netflix That Will Absolutely Terrify You - Tatler Singapore - July 11th, 2021
- The Vigil movie review: Amazon scores one of the most underrated horror films in years, sleepless nights await - Hindustan Times - July 11th, 2021
- The Schlock-Horror Drive-In That Rose From the Grave - The New York Times - July 11th, 2021
- Son review creepy slice of southern gothic that is the mother of all horror movies - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- Film 'The Medium' director says film is 'new type of horror' - The Korea Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Michelle Williams to Play King Henry VIIIs Last Wife in Horror Film Firebrand - Hollywood Reporter - July 11th, 2021
- 'The Swarm' Trailer: It's Invasion of the Killer Locusts in Netflix's New Horror Movie - /FILM - July 11th, 2021
- The Haunted House Restaurant nears opening sneak peek (photos) - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Animated Horror Movie 'The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf' Coming to Netflix in August [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Twists That Changed EVERYTHING - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- The Best Horror Movies of 2021 So Far, According to Critics - Best Life - June 14th, 2021
- Sanford native brings horror movie production to hometown - WNEM Saginaw - June 14th, 2021
- Four horror movies based on real stories - Deccan Herald - June 14th, 2021
- Sanford native to produce, act in horror movie in hometown - Midland Daily News - June 14th, 2021
- The Night House: Horror film that breaks the rules of jump scares gets release date - The Independent - June 14th, 2021
- The Witchers Freya Allan To Star In Horror Thriller Baghead - Deadline - June 14th, 2021
- [Herald Interview] Director of animated horror film Climbing hopes to share plight of pregnant women - The Korea Herald - June 14th, 2021
- Reviving a 24,000-Year-Old Animal Is Exactly How a Horror Movie Would Start - The Mary Sue - June 14th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Netflix Horror Movie: What We Know So Far - What's on Netflix - June 14th, 2021
- From 'Werewolves Within' to 'False Positive,' your guide to the sci-fi & horror films at Tribeca Film Festival 2021 - SYFY WIRE - June 14th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Watch After 'The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It' - /FILM - June 14th, 2021
- Edmonton weather: Foggy mornings remind me of eerie horror movies and I love it! - Edmonton Journal - June 14th, 2021
- 13 Movie and TV Adaptations of Horror Books and Where to Stream Them - Book Riot - May 21st, 2021
- Creepy New Horror Movie Is Terrifying Amazon Prime Users - We Got This Covered - May 21st, 2021
- Charlie Clouser on scoring horror films, the early days of industrial rock, and his love of the unusual - MusicTech - May 21st, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: Five 2021 Horror Movies You Can Stream This Week That You Might've Missed - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Tony-winning actress to debut horror film at Hamilton festival - TheSpec.com - May 21st, 2021
- Seance movie review a smart and twisty horror movie - Assignment X - May 21st, 2021
- What to Know About Spiral and the Saw Franchise - The New York Times - May 21st, 2021
- As Movie Theaters Reopen, a Sense of Relief - Hollywood Reporter - May 21st, 2021
- Game Of Thrones Alum Nathalie Emmanuel And Garrett Hedlund To Star In Screen Gems Horror Pic The Bride - Deadline - May 21st, 2021
- Review: Same-sex slasher The Retreat is a horror film several cuts above - The Globe and Mail - May 21st, 2021
- Initiation review campus horror is more bore than gore - The Guardian - May 21st, 2021
- Tony Todd and Tobin Bell Face an Alien Invasion in Sci-fi/Horror Movie 'The Bunker' - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Check Out Images From All the Horror Films Playing This Year's Virtual Fest - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- 'Chain Saw Confidential' Movie Will Be a Dark Comedy About the Making of 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' - /FILM - May 21st, 2021
- 'Army of the Dead' and more of the all-time greatest zombie movies - Wonderwall - May 21st, 2021
- The 30 Best Horror Movies on Netflix, According to Critics - Newsweek - May 8th, 2021
- Best Shudder movies: the essential horror films to watch on the streamer - Gamesradar - May 8th, 2021
- Review: 'Initiation' into this horror movie isn't worth the effort - The Detroit News - May 8th, 2021
- Over 20 New Horror Movies and Shows Releasing in May 2021! - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Pastor and Wife's Eyes Gouged, Ears Bitten in 'Out of Horror Movie' Attack - Newsweek - May 8th, 2021
- The 17 Best Horror Movies To Watch On Hulu Right Now (May 2021) - GameSpot - May 8th, 2021
- Ben Wheatleys In The Earth finds horror in fungi - The Verge - May 8th, 2021
- You'll Die Laughing at the Hilarious New Trailer For UNTITLED HORROR MOVIE - Available on iTunes and Amazon June 15th - We Are Movie Geeks - May 8th, 2021
- Exclusive: DC's 'The Conjuring' comic writers on what it takes to bring the horror world from screen to page - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2021
- The Horror Movie You Didn't Know Was Based On A Greek Tragedy - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Heavy Metal Horror Movies to Stream This Week! - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Netflixs Horror Movie Things Heard And Seen Is Dividing The Internet - ScreenGeek - May 8th, 2021
- The Tom Cruise Lovecraftian Horror Movie We Never Got To See - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- A Filipino cinematographer is behind the powerful images in this thrilling and timely American horror - ANCX - May 8th, 2021
- WARMINGTON: In this real-life horror movie, there's no sports or fun legally allowed - Toronto Sun - May 8th, 2021
- The Movie Like The Invitation That Horror Fans Need To Watch - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- 10 Most Terrifying Vacation Horror Movies - WhatCulture - May 8th, 2021
- 9 Eco-Horror Movies That Will Remind You to Be Nicer to the Earth - Vulture - April 23rd, 2021
- The Best Horror Movies of 2021 (So Far) - Thrillist - April 23rd, 2021
- Take a hike into terror with the Pittsburgh-shot horror film The Boonies - PGH City Paper - April 23rd, 2021
- 'In the Earth' Is the First Must-See COVID Horror Movie - The Daily Beast - April 23rd, 2021
- The Father is the Greatest Horror Movie that I've Ever Seen - Prescott eNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Movie review: Pandemic adds extra layer of threat to folk horror film 'In the Earth' - theday.com - April 23rd, 2021
- The Cher Post-Apocalyptic Horror Movie We Never Got To See - Looper - April 23rd, 2021
- Scream 3 is a brilliant horror movie that warned us about Harvey Weinstein - Polygon - April 23rd, 2021
- Netflix Producing Horror Movie The Last Will and Testament of Charles Abernathy - What's on Netflix - April 23rd, 2021
- There Are 12 Near-Perfect Horror Movies According To Metacritic - Looper - April 23rd, 2021
- Mortal Kombat Reboot Writer Wants To Make A Scary BioShock Horror Movie - We Got This Covered - April 23rd, 2021
- Fear of Rain review lurid horror film takes aim at mental illness stereotypes - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Movie Review: The Unholy | Lewiston Sun Journal - Lewiston Sun Journal - April 23rd, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero