WILMINGTON The relaunch of the legendary horror movie franchise "Scream" has found a home in the Port City.
The fifth "Scream" film will shoot in Wilmington this fall once COVID-19 safety protocols are in place, according to a release from Spyglass Media Group, which is producing the film.
"We have been in discussions with Spyglass about Scream since last fall," Bill Vassar, executive vice president of EUE/Screen Gems Studios in Wilmington, said Monday.
"It is their intention for the film to come here and it is our intention to make sure we can accommodate them. We are both looking forward to being partners in this project and we are want to see it happen ASAP. But we are still defining the safety procedures for film production, and thats not just us but the whole industry."
Additionally, Spyglass announced that David Arquette, who played Officer Dewey Riley in the franchises first four films, will return for the fifth installment. Neve Campbell, who played Sydney Prescott, has also said she has spoken with creators about returning.
Spyglass said it is in discussions with other franchise cast members to be part of the film.
The franchise follows Prescott, Riley and others as they fight to survive a slew of serial killers who have terrorized the residents of Woodsboro while wearing the famous Ghostface mask. The 1996 original is considered a masterpiece of the slasher film genre.
Plot details for the film, which is being called "Scream" and not "Scream 5," are being kept under wraps, but the film is considered a "relaunch" of the story. However, Arquette is expected to reprise his role.
"I am thrilled to be playing Dewey again and to reunite with my Scream family, old and new," Arquette said in a statement. "Scream has been such a big part of my life, and for both the fans and myself, I look forward to honoring Wes Cravens legacy."
The new "Scream" will be the first without original director Wes Craven, who died in 2015. But it will have some of its original blood in executive producer Kevin Williamson, who wrote the first, second and fourth installments in the franchise.
This new film will be co-written by James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick. Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett of the filmmaking group Radio Silence will direct the project.
"Scream" marks yet another major horror franchise going into business with the local film industry. Last fall, "Halloween Kills," the latest in the Michael Myers films starring Jamie Lee Curtis, filmed in Wilmington.
It is due in theaters this October.
Williamson also produced the Russell Crowe-starring horror film "The Georgetown Project" in Wilmington last December. It does not yet have a release date.
Reporter Hunter Ingram can be reached at 910-343-2327 or Hunter.Ingram@StarNewsOnline.com.
Read the original here:
BREAKING: Scream relaunch to film in Wilmington this fall - StarNewsOnline.com
- 10 Critically Acclaimed Horror Movies That Were Box Office Bombs - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- Netflix fans are scared to close their eyes after watching this new horror movie - BGR - July 8th, 2020
- Saws Tobin Bell Talks Mexican Horror Belzebuth And Jigsaw - Forbes - July 8th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movie Creature Features That Broke All The Rules - WhatCulture - July 8th, 2020
- In Bulbbul, moment of dread is not about female demon, but husband inflicting violence - The Indian Express - July 8th, 2020
- Best Shark Horror Movies (& Where To Watch) | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- Video: Are These REALLY the 20 Scaries Horror Movie Endings of All Time? - Dread Central - July 8th, 2020
- Bollywood Horror Movie Quiz: Can you guess these films based on their plot? - Republic World - Republic World - July 8th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movie Directors That Quit The Genre - WhatCulture - July 8th, 2020
- Phase IV: How The Indie Horror Movie Created The 1980s Crop Circle Craze - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- SPL!NG Movie Review: 8 2oceansvibe News | South African and international news - 2oceansvibe News - July 8th, 2020
- Tobin Bell Talks New Horror Thriller Belzebuth, His Saw Legacy and More [Exclusive] - MovieWeb - July 8th, 2020
- 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Scream Franchise - Screen Rant - July 8th, 2020
- Rotten Outlook: 5 Rotten Horror Movies Released After 2010 That Are Actually Good - Dread Central - July 7th, 2020
- What to stream this week: Relic, The Old Guard, Greyhound, Rosehaven and more - NEWS.com.au - July 7th, 2020
- 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer' Is a Slice of Silly Slasher Cheese [We Love '90s Horror] - Bloody Disgusting - July 7th, 2020
- Freddy vs. Jason: How Kane Hodder Subtly Made It Into The Movie - Screen Rant - July 7th, 2020
- Best horror movies on Netflix (July 2020) - Monsters and Critics - July 6th, 2020
- A Very Underrated Horror Movie Has Been Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 5th, 2020
- The mating of monkfish will leave you speechless: its almost a horror movie - InTallaght - July 5th, 2020
- 6 Of The Most Stylish Thrillers Of All Time - British Vogue - July 5th, 2020
- 'Relic' Is the First Terrifying, Must-See Horror Movie of 2020 - The Daily Beast - July 4th, 2020
- 10 Great 4th of July Horror Movies Streaming Now - /FILM - July 4th, 2020
- Explained: Why fans of horror movies may be better equipped to deal with Covid-19 - The Indian Express - July 4th, 2020
- Splice: Why The Sci-Fi Horror Movie Took So Long To Make - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The director, writer and star of horror film I Am Lisa on how the film came together ahead of Thursday's Boulevard Drive-In premiere - Kansas City... - July 4th, 2020
- Emily Mortimer, Bella Heathcote and Robyn Nevin star in Relic, but dementia is the real ghoul - Sydney Morning Herald - July 4th, 2020
- 4th of July Movies on Netflix to Watch and Feel Patriotic Today - Decider - July 4th, 2020
- Every George Romero Zombie Movie, Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Vivek Oberoi announces second film as producer, a horror-thriller titled Rosie - The Saffron Chapter - Cinema Express - July 4th, 2020
- 'Drive-in' horror shows in Tokyo are providing respite amid COVID-19 scare - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Researchers say fans of apocalyptic movies better prepared for coronavirus pandemic - Republic World - Republic World - July 4th, 2020
- We Are What We Are: How A Modern Twist Changed The Cannibal Sub-Genre - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The House That Jack Built: Why The Movie Was So Controversial - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Parody Done Right: 20 Years of 'Scary Movie' (2000) - PopHorror - July 4th, 2020
- Fantasy Island: Delivering dreams and nightmares - The Phuket News - July 4th, 2020
- Why The Poltergeist Movies Were Defined By Cutting-Edge Practical Effects - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- A Horror Movie Shot During the Pandemic Is on the Way /Film - /FILM - July 2nd, 2020
- Netflix Added Some Big Horror Movies Today To Kick Off July - We Got This Covered - July 2nd, 2020
- We are the virus: body horror films reflect humanity at its most grotesque - Document Journal - July 2nd, 2020
- 'Churuli' Trailer: 'Jallikattu' Director Is Here With Another Atmospheric Horror Film - Mashable India - July 2nd, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in July - The New York Times - July 2nd, 2020
- Dan Stevens Talks the Thoughtful Horror of THE RENTAL - Nerdist - July 2nd, 2020
- What you can watch at the drive-ins, and 4 reopened movie theaters, in Milwaukee on Fourth of July weekend - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - July 2nd, 2020
- Film review: The Wretched - InDaily - July 2nd, 2020
- Shudder's Horror-Comedy 'DeadTectives' Brings Ghost-Busting to DVD This Month [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 2nd, 2020
- Horror movie filmed in KC area premieres Thursday - KMBC Kansas City - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Scariest Movies to Watch on Netflix Right Now - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Terrifying Horror Movies to Watch While at Home This Summer - Yes! Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- Summer of Fear: 24 New Horror Movies, TV Shows and Games Releasing in July 2020 - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Best Halloween Movies of All Time - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Body Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- An Unexpected Horror Movie Is Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 1st, 2020
- Grant Summerland Explores the Creepy Side of Mountain Life - Good Times Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- There's A New Horror Movie Called "You Should Have Left," So I Watched It For Everyone Who Can't Handle Scary Movies - BuzzFeed - July 1st, 2020
- Coming To Shudder In July 2020: Plenty Of New And Disturbing Horror Movies To Binge In The Dark - GameSpot - July 1st, 2020
- How The Fall of the House of Usher Changed Horror Movies - Den of Geek US - July 1st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Hear Tracks From The Score of the Horror Film Followed - Bleeding Cool News - July 1st, 2020
- A Nice Vacation Turns Into a Complete Nightmare in Trailer for the Horror Film THE BEACH HOUSE - GeekTyrant - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Toothsome Predators - Gizmodo Australia - July 1st, 2020
- 'Amulet' Trailer: You Might Want to Think Twice Before Moving Into This House - /FILM - July 1st, 2020
- If you liked Bulbbul, here are 7 gripping horror movies and shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video - GQ India - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Pernicious Predators - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Splice: The Real Inspiration For The Film (& What It Got Right) - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- New 'bone-chilling' horror Relic looks set to be the scariest film of the year - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Horror movie drive-in tour to stop in CT - CT Post - June 25th, 2020
- Most Anticipated Horror Movies Of 2021 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Best Black Horror Movies from Blacula to The Girl with All the Gifts - Collider.com - June 25th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movies You Only Ever Watch Once - WhatCulture - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Is Adding Some Great New Horror Movies In July - We Got This Covered - June 25th, 2020
- When Horror Dishes Out Comeuppance: Did They Deserve It? - Horror Geek Life - June 25th, 2020
- The Moviegoer: Scary Cinema - Bay Weekly - June 25th, 2020
- The Horror is Really Inside of You: Josephine Decker and the Powerful Ambiguity of 'Shirley' [Interview] - Bloody Disgusting - June 25th, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 is a horror game and that's why it hurts - The Guardian - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Horror Rom-Com The Hills Have Eyes for You Gets Tucker and Dale Director - MovieWeb - June 25th, 2020
- Scream's Halloween Reference Gets The 1978 Movie Totally Wrong - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Paranormal Activity 7: When Will The Horror Movie Going To Return For The Next Part - The Digital Wise - June 25th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE Was Released in 1983 - Dread Central - June 25th, 2020
- Why Candyman Is The Most Important Horror Movie Of 2020 - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Kevin Bacon is here to tell you the correct way to watch a horror movie - KING5.com - June 24th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero