The Fantasia International Film Festival has just pulled back the curtain on the first wave of programming for its upcoming 25th edition, set again to take place as a virtual event accessible to audiences across Canada from August 5 25, 2021.
Following the earlier news of the festivals opening film, the world premiere of Julien Knafos Quebec-set zomcom Brain Freeze starring Roy Dupuis and Iani Bdard, details on the first wave of feature films are revealed today, with the full lineup to be announced in late July.
Heres the press release with a ton of first-look images!
STEADY YOUR GAZE FOR THE LAST THING MARY SAW
Brace yourself for THE LAST THING MARY SAW, a breathtaking period occult drama setin an isolated farmhouse in the winter of 1843, where a young woman is under investigation following the mysterious death of her familys matriarch. It soon becomes apparent that ageless forces are at play, from within and without. An eerie and hypnotic nightmare vision from debuting writer/director Edoardo Vitaletti, starring Stefanie Scott (INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3), Isabelle Fuhrman (ORPHAN), Judith Roberts (YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE), and Rory Culkin (LORDS OF CHAOS). WORLD PREMIERE.
GO ALL-IN WITH KAKEGURUI 2: ULTIMATE RUSSIAN ROULETTE
Welcome back to Hyakkaoh Academy, where the students engage in compulsive gambling to climb the social ladder, but this time around the return of a demented alumni will wreak a new kind of havoc on the school. KAKEGURUI 2: ULTIMATE RUSSIAN ROULETTE, written and directed by Tsutomu Hanabusa (PROJECT DREAMS), raises the stakes beyond money and clout to a game of life and death. This highly creative, colorful, and thrilling manga adaptation makes a reinvented poker game as engaging as a championship match. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
RICHARD BATES JR. INVITES YOU ON A GONZO SPIRITUAL QUEST
Richard Bates Jr. has been a longstanding member of the Fantasia Family with fest favourites EXCISION, TRASH FIRE, TONE-DEAF, and SUBURBAN GOTHIC. Were thrilled to announce his return with the outlandish KING KNIGHT, an outsiders outsider comedy starring Matthew Gray Gubler and Angela Sarafyan as Thorn and Willow, husband-and-wife high priest and priestess of a coven of witches in a small California community. When Willow unearths a secret from Thorns past, their lives are thrown into turmoil in this kooky, clever treat, decked with a wild cast that includes Nelson Franklin, Johnny Pemberton, Barbara Crampton, Ray Wise, Andy Milonakis, and the voices of Aubrey Plaza and AnnaLynne McCord. WORLD PREMIERE.
DAIGO MATSUI REACHES INTO THE AFTERLIFE FOR REMAIN IN TWILIGHT
Six high school friends reunite for a wedding ceremony in the newest feature from Fantasia favourite Daigo Matsui. They reconnect as if no time has passed, but theres an unspoken question lingering in the air, as one of them should not be there. Adapted from a stage play inspired by the death of a real-life friend, REMAIN IN TWILIGHT takes audiences on a bittersweet, grief-stricken journey at the crossroads between a buddy comedy and supernatural drama. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
SOUTH AFRICAN GENRE CINEMA EXCELS IN INDEMNITY
The new wave of South African genre cinema continues to astonish in INDEMNITY, the feature directorial debut of Gambit Films Travis Taute, co-writer and executive producer of Nosipho Dumisas Fantasia-award-winner NUMBER 37 (and director of the originating short) and a writer and director on the hit Netflix series BLOOD & WATER. A subversive, high-tension action thriller that follows a fireman (Jarrid Geduld) with an anguished past who finds himself on the run for a crime he has no memory of, the knockout feature speaks to the horrors of the international arms trade and the use of trauma itself as a weapon. Co-starring Gail Mabalane (BLOOD & WATER), Andre Jacobs (BLACK VENUS), Nicole Fortuin (FLATLAND), and Tshamano Sebe (8, a Fantasia 2019 breakout premiere). WORLD PREMIERE.
MASASHI YAMAMOTO THROWS THE PARTY OF THE SUMMER IN WONDERFUL PARADISE
Punk iconoclast Masashi Yamamoto is back with WONDERFUL PARADISE, a demented spin on the unwanted-guest scenario that builds and builds until all notions of cinematic realism are thrown out the window and social constructs of family, class, and Japanese decorum are skewered by mayhem. Moving out of their house in the wealthy suburbs of Tokyo, the Sasayas find the transition made all the more complicated after their daughter posts an open party invite online for anyone to join, inviting a parade of estranged family, jilted lovers, and supernatural surprises into their lives. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
A SPANISH-BASQUE MASTERPIECE TAKES VAMPIRE CINEMA TO POIGNANT NEW HEIGHTS STARE INTO ALL THE MOONS
Spain. 1876. A young girl (Haizea Carneros) is severely injured when a religious orphanage is bombed during the third Carlist war. On the verge of death, she is healed by a mysterious woman (Itziar Ituo) whom she perceives to be an angel. They are soon separated, the child left to fend for herself for decades upon decades. With ALL THE MOONS, director Igor Legarreta masterfully employs the tenets of vampire lore as the basis for an intimate epic dealing with themes of life and death, love and loneliness, devotion and intolerance. Impeccably crafted, it ranks among the best of vampire cinema. INTERNATIONAL PREMIERE.
APPEARANCES CAN BE MISLEADING IN THE ACTION-PACKED CAUTION, HAZARDOUS WIFE
Based on the beloved TV series by the same name, Toya Satos CAUTION, HAZARDOUS WIFE stars Haruka Ayase (REAL) as an amnesiac housewife living a quiet life with her perfect husband (Hidetoshi Nishijima, CREEPY). As her memories begin to return, she discovers an unexpected and dangerous side to herself she never predicted. Combining first-rate fight choreography with a winning comedic charisma from Ayase, CAUTION, HAZARDOUS WIFE is an absolute must-see for any action fan. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
A NEW CANADIAN HORROR CLASSIC IS BORN THE RIGHTEOUS
Actor turned director Mark OBrien (READY OR NOT, ARRIVAL) makes his feature debut with the slow-burn, character-driven occult chiller THE RIGHTEOUS, one of the years most thrilling genre discoveries that takes full advantage of Newfoundlands maritime otherworldliness while blending timeless themes with an inventive and exciting filmmaking approach. A former priest who left the church to start a family is gripped by tragedy after his childs death, and the life of him and his wife are thrown into further chaos upon the arrival of a mysterious young stranger. The film is written and directed by OBrien, who also co-stars in the film alongside his READY OR NOT castmate Henry Czerny and a terrific Mimi Kuzyk (LOST AND DELIRIOUS). WORLD PREMIERE.
NOT QUITE DEAD YET BRINGS A WHOLE NEW LOOK AT THE AFTERLIFE
A death metal singer must team up with the ghost of her recently deceased father to uncover a scheme underway at the company he left behind and miraculously save his life! A punchy, playful, and pleasingly morbid comedy romp, NOT QUITE DEAD YET mixes up a quick-paced concoction of corporate intrigue, family melodrama, and supernatural silliness. With deft timing, first-time director Shinji Hamasaki orchestrates an outstanding cast of sympathetic characters interpreted by stars Suzu Hirose (CHIHAYAFURU), Ryo Yoshizawa (BLEACH), and Shinichi Tsutsumi (THE MOLE SONG). NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
BABY MONEY WILL MURDER YOU WITH TENSION
After a botched burglary, a pair of criminals take refuge in the house of a single mother as they wait on their getaway driver to hash an escape plan in Mikhael Bassilli and Luc Walpoths phenomenal BABY MONEY. Mounting suspense, textured characters, and jolting storytelling come together in this powerhouse, pulse-racing crime thriller. Led by a remarkable cast that includes Danay Garcia (FEAR THE WALKING DEAD), Taja V. Simpson (THE OVAL), Michael Drayer (MR. ROBOT), and Joey Kern (GOOD BEHAVIOR) alongside newcomer Vernon Taylor III, an exceptional special-needs talent. WORLD PREMIERE.
A DOSE OF ART KABUKI TO HEAL OUR SOULS
While theatres were shut down due to COVID-19, young Kabuki-actor Kazutaro Nakamura decided to unite with many unique artists to create ART KABUKI, a compelling filmed performance under the subject of Play, Beauty and Life. A visually stunning modern take on a centuries-old, traditional art form, Nakamura succeeds exceptionally at inspiring hope and joy through creativity in these difficult times. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
HELLBENDER IS AN OCCULT INSPIRATION
An occult, coming-of-age film unlike any youve seen, HELLBENDER is the extraordinary new creation from the Adams Family (John Adams, Toby Poser, Zelda Adams), the gifted filmmaking family behind 2019s indie sensation THE DEEPER YOU DIG. It further affirms their stature as singular poets of the genre, making soulful and wholly original works with a one-of-a-kind look and feel, this time in the dreamy story of a lonely teenage girl (Zelda Adams) who finds guidance in her familys suppressed supernatural lineage. HELLBENDER imaginatively explores questions of identity, instinct, and power roles in youth and parenthood alike. An uncanny film thats all at once haunting, heartfelt, freakish, and fun. WORLD PREMIERE.
ESTONIA BRINGS THE STRANGENESS KRATT IS HERE!
12 years after BURATINO, SON OF PINOCCHIO, Rasmus Merivoo has returned to filmmaking with KRATT. In a small Estonian village, two kids (Nora and Harri Merivoo, the directors own children), hoping to get out of farm work, bring the local legend of The Kratt a Terminator-like demonic spirit that must always be fed work, or else to life so they can escape their chores, but in doing so they may bring about the destruction of all human life on earth! Its pretty safe to say that no other movie at Fantasia 2021 will reach KRATTs delightful preposterousness unless another Estonian dry comedy/fantasy/political commentary comes along to outplace it. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
A TWISTING AND TRANSFIXING JOURNEY INTO ULTRASOUND
After his car breaks down, Glen (Vincent Kartheiser, MAD MEN) spends one hell of an odd night with a married couple, setting into motion a chain of events that alter their lives plus those of several random strangers. Thats the official synopsis of Rob Schroeders ingenious ULTRASOUND and its best we dont say a word more without running the risk of ruining the films endlessly twisty surprises that easily make it one of the most engrossing and unexpected genre creations of the year. Co-starring Breeda Wool (MR. MERCEDES), Chelsea Lopez (ARE WE NOT CATS), Tunde Adebimpe (RACHEL GETTING MARRIED), Rainey Qualley (OCEANS 8), and Bob Stephenson (LADY BIRD). INTERNATIONAL PREMIERE.
FANTASIA UNDERGROUND UNLEASHES AN AWARD-WINNING, iPHONE-SHOT SCI-FI COMEDY
First title revealed for the 2021 Fantasia Underground section
Born out of an acting workshop and shot on an iPhone, the charmingly inventive BEYOND THE INFINITE TWO MINUTES focuses on a small group of friends trying to make sense of a time loop that gives them a two-minute insight into the immediate future. A directorial debut from newcomer Junta Yamaguchi, the film plays like ONE CUT FROM THE DEAD meets TENET and uses meager resources to create a hilarious and crowd-pleasing film thats already wowed audiences and won awards at BIFFF and Fantaspoa. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
FIRST TITLE REVEALED FOR THE FANTASIAS DOCS FROM THE EDGE SECTION
INLAND EMPIRE meets EVIL DEAD in bizarre VHS documentary
The 80s were the most fruitful years for direct-to-video oddities and in Uruguay, ACT OF VIOLENCE IN A YOUNG JOURNALIST, by Manuel Lamas, is the strangest of them all. Never seen outside of its country of origin, the film has been celebrated as a cult film (a la THE ROOM) by homegrown cinephiles and camp aficionados, while its origins have remained shrouded in mystery for decades Until now! The behind-the-scenes mystery thickens in Emilio Silva Torres feature debut STRAIGHT TO VHS as we tag along on a quest with eccentric characters and through creepy locations to find the man behind one the oddest VHSes ever made. INTERNATIONAL PREMIERE.
FANTASIAS CAMERA LUCIDA SECTION UNVEILS FIRST TITLES
Isolation, global crises, and shifting belief systems are at the heart of the Camera Lucida section this year, Fantasias sidebar dedicated to showcasing boundary-pushing, auteur-driven works at the intersection of genre and arthouse cinema
Like so many actors, Takumi Saitoh (playing a version of himself) is out of work due to COVID-19. He sits at home, and wonders what to do. Until kaiju expert Shinji Higuchi (ATTACK ON TITAN, SHIN GODZILLA) smartly suggests he buy capsule monsters online to defeat the virus. As film productions shut down across Japan, maestro Shunji Iwai turned to Zoom, the online lingua franca of these pandemic times, for THE 12 DAY TALE OF THE MONSTER THAT DIED IN 8. An ambitious slice of lockdown-life where fact, fiction, and inner worlds blend together. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
Since birth, Uno (Luciano Pedro Jr.) son of a taxi man has had the peculiar ability of talking to cars. Together with his unhinged uncle he sets out to modernize his fathers fleet for a new conscientious age. Enter Carro Rei, the sentient car of the future. and an apt emblem for its undoing. Casting a critical light on Brazils ongoing populist nightmare and the limits of progressivism in a machine-driven, late-capitalist framework, Renata Pinheiros KING CAR takes place in an ominous junkyard universe. A film of the moment, wherein our machine fetish becomes a self-fulfilling tragedy. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
Canadian genre experimentalist Seth A. Smith (LOWLIFE, THE CRESCENT) returns to the section with TIN CAN, a timely, yet thoroughly unpredictable science-fiction-cum-survival-thriller and a marvel of Sci-Fi design. In a world being ravaged by a mysterious fungal infection, Fret is the leading parasitologist studying to control it until shes kidnapped and wakes up in a human-sized tin can. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
In AGNES, the latest from prolific filmmaker Mickey Reece (CLIMATE OF THE HUNTER), a dissident priest and a bright-eyed neophyte are sent to investigate rumours of demonic possession at a convent. Both will be met with temptation as the strange goings-on test their faith, as well as that of one specific nun in residence. This structurally daring film tests the narrow-minded restrictions of (self) narrative and memory, as well as those of institutional religion. Starring Hayley McFarland (THE CONJURING), Jake Horowitz (THE VAST OF NIGHT), and Ben Hall (MINARI), and featuring Sean Gunn, Rachel True, Chris Browning, and Molly C. Quinn. INTERNATIONAL PREMIERE.
All titles will compete for the AQCC-Camera Lucida prize, awarded by a jury of critics from the Qubecs Critics Association (AQCC), member of the FIPRESCI.
AXIS REVEALS A DUO OF ANIMATED DELIGHTS!
Axis, Fantasias animation section, announces first two titles hailing from opposite ends of the globe that prove animation is for the young and the old
Beastly behaviour abounds in Avid Liongorens HAYOP KA! THE NIMFA DIMAANO STORY, a steamy soap opera satire from the Philippines. The decidedly adult-oriented animation, which boasts a fully Filipino cast and crew, follows Nimfa the cat as she searches for true love and happiness and must decide between the two dogs in her life. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
Midnight mischief is afoot in LITTLE VAMPIRE, the latest film adaptation from Frances Joann Sfar (THE RABBIS CAT), who both created the original childrens comic and helms the magically monstrous and endearingly morbid feature about the unlikely friendship between a never-aging vampire and a human boy. NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE.
- Five Horror Films to Stream Now - The New York Times - October 20th, 2021
- 15 best horror movies to watch on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and Hulu - Polygon - October 20th, 2021
- Review: Scandinavian horror movie has tremendous banalities - Ithaca College The Ithacan - October 20th, 2021
- 21 Films That Fans Chose As The Most Perfect Horror Movies To Ever Exist In Cinematic History - BuzzFeed - October 20th, 2021
- The Original Halloween Will Never Be Matched - The Atlantic - October 20th, 2021
- This twisted psychological horror movie is #1 on Netflix today - BGR - October 20th, 2021
- Horror Icon Jason Blum Reveals The Scariest Movies Hes Seen - CinemaBlend - October 20th, 2021
- 13 Scariest Horror Movie Monsters Of The 2010s, Ranked - GameSpot - October 20th, 2021
- Indie Film: The history of these Maine locales are fit for horror films - Press Herald - October 20th, 2021
- Insidious Cast: What The Stars Of The James Wan Horror Movie Are Up To Now - Cinema Blend - October 20th, 2021
- Death is Good: The Horror Films of Val Lewton | Features - Roger Ebert - October 20th, 2021
- These 7 Horror Movies Are So Outstanding, They Should Have Received Oscars - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- The greatest '80s horror movie of all time was shot in the Bay Area - SFGate - October 20th, 2021
- Tell Us About The Most Beautifully Breathtaking Shot You've Ever Seen In A Horror Movie - BuzzFeed - October 20th, 2021
- This nerve-shredding Netflix horror movie is finding new life ahead of Halloween - BGR - October 20th, 2021
- Lamb, Reviewed: A Horror Film Where Cleverness Is the Problem - The New Yorker - October 9th, 2021
- This is the Best Horror Movie Set in Wyoming and Here's Why - Kgab - October 9th, 2021
- Watch the First Horror Movie Written Exclusively by Bots - Nerdist - October 9th, 2021
- 'Titane' is automotive body horror and the most shockingly wholesome movie of the year - USA TODAY - October 9th, 2021
- The '70s Horror Movie That Is So Confusing It Needs A Second Watch - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Ted Lasso is reimagined as a horror movie in creepy spoof trailer - Gamesradar - October 9th, 2021
- 15 Scary Woodland Horror Movies Set To Terrify You This Halloween - GameSpot - October 9th, 2021
- An Old Horror Film Is Dominating Streaming Today - We Got This Covered - October 9th, 2021
- The Relentless, Transgressive Horror of Titane - The Atlantic - October 9th, 2021
- Ted Lasso fan edit turns the show into a horror movie - CNET - October 9th, 2021
- 18 New Horror Movies and Shows Releasing This Week, Including 'V/H/S/94'! - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- This Horror Movie "Needs More Love" According To The Internet - We Got This Covered - October 9th, 2021
- This 70s Horror Film Doesn't Get Enough Love According To The Internet - We Got This Covered - October 9th, 2021
- The 15 Best '70s Horror Movies Ranked - /Film - October 9th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Unbelievably Cut What We Wanted To See - WhatCulture - October 9th, 2021
- Give Female Directors Some Love! Here Are the Best Horror Movies Directed by Women - Distractify - October 9th, 2021
- The Batman Test Audience Reactions: "A Horror Movie," "Very Scary" - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- 5 horror movies have topped the box office this year and it shows why the genre is well-suited for the current market - Yahoo News - September 5th, 2021
- 20 Best Horror Movies on HBO Max for Halloween 2021 - Scary Movies to Stream on HBO Max - TownandCountrymag.com - August 24th, 2021
- The Horror Film That Was Made in Union County, KY - wbkr.com - August 24th, 2021
- 'The Last Matinee,' 'Censor,' and the power of retro horror done right - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'The Sadness' Goes for the Jugular With Transgressive, Extreme Horror - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2021
- Rebecca Hall on The Night House, the Most Expertly Made Horror Movie of the Year - Vogue - August 24th, 2021
- 'District 9' Director Neill Blomkamp on His Chilling Foray into VR Horror and America-Inspired 'District 10' - The Daily Beast - August 24th, 2021
- Halloween: Every Movie In The Horror Series, Ranked - CinemaBlend - August 24th, 2021
- 14 Best Horror Movies to Stream on Amazon Prime - Your Money Geek - August 24th, 2021
- The Singing Ringing Tree Is Right Out of a Horror Movie - Nerdist - August 24th, 2021
- The Night House review: A haunted-house horror with cosmic secrets - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Endings That Get Worse The More You Think About It - WhatCulture - August 24th, 2021
- Boomika movie review: Aishwarya Rajeshs film is a visually pleasing thriller with convoluted messaging - Hindustan Times - August 24th, 2021
- Whats on TV This Week: Lorde on Late Night and American Horror Story - The New York Times - August 24th, 2021
- You Might've Missed This Iconic Horror Reference In Blood Red Sky - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Candyman - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Superhero Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Best horror movies on Netflix: These titles will scare you half to death - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Aishwarya Rajeshs Boomika promises to be a gripping horror movie - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2021
- CANDYMAN and 10 Other Horror Trailers That Give Us Nightmares - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Teddy review wince-inducing French werewolf horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The 10 Best Horror Movies Of The 80s - We Got This Covered - August 10th, 2021
- Bleed With Me review threes a crowd in taut bloodsucking horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The Best German Movies to Stream on Netflix Now - TownandCountrymag.com - August 10th, 2021
- How to Watch a Horror Movie: 13 Steps (with Pictures ... - July 26th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Stream Now - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Box Office: Old Proves That M. Night Shyamalan Remains A Bankable Horror Director - Forbes - July 26th, 2021
- Netflixs new nerve-shredding horror movie has viewers jumping out of their seats - BGR - July 26th, 2021
- Netflix's New Horror Movie Has Users On The Edge Of Their Seats - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- The Action Horror Movie That Has Netflix Subscribers Gripping Their Seats - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Horror Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Hybrid horror-LGBTQ film shot in Danbury accepted to 20 festivals - Danbury News Times - July 26th, 2021
- 13 Psychological Horror Movies That Will Destroy Your Brain For All The Wrong Reasons - GameSpot - July 26th, 2021
- 'Director's Cut' Ends the Season with Horror Film 'The Field' July 23 - PBS Wisconsin - July 26th, 2021
- How the horror genre is dying in India sans innovation and imagination - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- 1960s to today: Popular movies filmed in the Las Cruces area - Las Cruces Sun-News - July 26th, 2021
- Streaming Horror Movies About the Elderly /Film - /FILM - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 5 Thai Horror Films on Netflix That Will Absolutely Terrify You - Tatler Singapore - July 11th, 2021
- The Vigil movie review: Amazon scores one of the most underrated horror films in years, sleepless nights await - Hindustan Times - July 11th, 2021
- The Schlock-Horror Drive-In That Rose From the Grave - The New York Times - July 11th, 2021
- Son review creepy slice of southern gothic that is the mother of all horror movies - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- Film 'The Medium' director says film is 'new type of horror' - The Korea Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Michelle Williams to Play King Henry VIIIs Last Wife in Horror Film Firebrand - Hollywood Reporter - July 11th, 2021
- 'The Swarm' Trailer: It's Invasion of the Killer Locusts in Netflix's New Horror Movie - /FILM - July 11th, 2021
- The Haunted House Restaurant nears opening sneak peek (photos) - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Animated Horror Movie 'The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf' Coming to Netflix in August [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Twists That Changed EVERYTHING - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- The Best Horror Movies of 2021 So Far, According to Critics - Best Life - June 14th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero