It is a new type. The new type of horror film is different because it makes people feel fear gradually, the Thai filmmaker told reporters during an interview via Zoom on Thursday.
Banjong explained that this was possible due to the original script which was written by Korean director Na Hong-jin.
As a director making horror films, I think it is becoming more difficult to create scary movies. I, myself, have not felt scared while watching horror films for a while. But it was different when I watched Na Hong-jins film, Banjong said.
Na has created multiple South Korean hit thrillers such as The Wailing, also known as Goksung. Last September, Banjong teamed up with Na to make The Medium, a horror film set in rural Thailand. Na was responsible for the original script and production of the new film.
At first I could not believe that I got to work with director Na Hong-jin. As a fan, I could not believe that this was actually happening and was nervous, he said. After we began working together I had some pressure because I had to work with a genius director who I am a big fan of and also Na Hong-jin could not come to Thailand due to COVID-19. I had to make sure I understood Nas intentions about the movie.
In the film, a documentary team follows Nim (played by Sawanee Utoomma), a shaman living in a mountain village in Thailand. After Nims sister Noi (played by Sirani Yankittikan) refused to become the designated shaman years ago, she succeeded in the role instead. One day, Nim finds out that her niece Mink (played by Narilya Gulmongkolpech) develops some strange symptoms and suspects that it might be a sign that she is the next chosen shaman.
Banjong added that The Medium is special because it also is thought-provoking.
Director Na and I agreed to make a movie that does not only scares people but make the audiences look back at what they are believing in, he said.
During the interview, Banjong also mentioned that he tried to localize Nas original script.
Through the research process, I found out that Korean and Thai shamanism have a lot in common. I could keep the main storyline of the original script and localized it to fit Thailands situation, he said.
The Thai director also talked about choosing a humbler route in the casting process.
When casting, we made sure not to pick actors that are widely known. But they still had to be professionals since it is not easy to perform this script. So, director Na Hong-jin and I agree to pick theater actors that are not famous, he said. After we selected the actors, we held workshops with the actors and discussed how we are going to make the movie realistic.
The Medium will hit local theaters on July 14 as originally scheduled despite the fourth wave of COVID-19 hitting Korea, according to film distributor Showbox.
By Song Seung-hyun (email@example.com)
See the original post:
Film 'The Medium' director says film is 'new type of horror' - The Korea Herald
- The Batman Test Audience Reactions: "A Horror Movie," "Very Scary" - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- 5 horror movies have topped the box office this year and it shows why the genre is well-suited for the current market - Yahoo News - September 5th, 2021
- 20 Best Horror Movies on HBO Max for Halloween 2021 - Scary Movies to Stream on HBO Max - TownandCountrymag.com - August 24th, 2021
- The Horror Film That Was Made in Union County, KY - wbkr.com - August 24th, 2021
- 'The Last Matinee,' 'Censor,' and the power of retro horror done right - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'The Sadness' Goes for the Jugular With Transgressive, Extreme Horror - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2021
- Rebecca Hall on The Night House, the Most Expertly Made Horror Movie of the Year - Vogue - August 24th, 2021
- 'District 9' Director Neill Blomkamp on His Chilling Foray into VR Horror and America-Inspired 'District 10' - The Daily Beast - August 24th, 2021
- Halloween: Every Movie In The Horror Series, Ranked - CinemaBlend - August 24th, 2021
- 14 Best Horror Movies to Stream on Amazon Prime - Your Money Geek - August 24th, 2021
- The Singing Ringing Tree Is Right Out of a Horror Movie - Nerdist - August 24th, 2021
- The Night House review: A haunted-house horror with cosmic secrets - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Endings That Get Worse The More You Think About It - WhatCulture - August 24th, 2021
- Boomika movie review: Aishwarya Rajeshs film is a visually pleasing thriller with convoluted messaging - Hindustan Times - August 24th, 2021
- Whats on TV This Week: Lorde on Late Night and American Horror Story - The New York Times - August 24th, 2021
- You Might've Missed This Iconic Horror Reference In Blood Red Sky - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Candyman - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Superhero Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Best horror movies on Netflix: These titles will scare you half to death - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Aishwarya Rajeshs Boomika promises to be a gripping horror movie - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2021
- CANDYMAN and 10 Other Horror Trailers That Give Us Nightmares - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Teddy review wince-inducing French werewolf horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The 10 Best Horror Movies Of The 80s - We Got This Covered - August 10th, 2021
- Bleed With Me review threes a crowd in taut bloodsucking horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The Best German Movies to Stream on Netflix Now - TownandCountrymag.com - August 10th, 2021
- How to Watch a Horror Movie: 13 Steps (with Pictures ... - July 26th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Stream Now - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Box Office: Old Proves That M. Night Shyamalan Remains A Bankable Horror Director - Forbes - July 26th, 2021
- Netflixs new nerve-shredding horror movie has viewers jumping out of their seats - BGR - July 26th, 2021
- Netflix's New Horror Movie Has Users On The Edge Of Their Seats - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- The Action Horror Movie That Has Netflix Subscribers Gripping Their Seats - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Horror Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Hybrid horror-LGBTQ film shot in Danbury accepted to 20 festivals - Danbury News Times - July 26th, 2021
- 13 Psychological Horror Movies That Will Destroy Your Brain For All The Wrong Reasons - GameSpot - July 26th, 2021
- 'Director's Cut' Ends the Season with Horror Film 'The Field' July 23 - PBS Wisconsin - July 26th, 2021
- How the horror genre is dying in India sans innovation and imagination - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- 1960s to today: Popular movies filmed in the Las Cruces area - Las Cruces Sun-News - July 26th, 2021
- Streaming Horror Movies About the Elderly /Film - /FILM - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 5 Thai Horror Films on Netflix That Will Absolutely Terrify You - Tatler Singapore - July 11th, 2021
- The Vigil movie review: Amazon scores one of the most underrated horror films in years, sleepless nights await - Hindustan Times - July 11th, 2021
- The Schlock-Horror Drive-In That Rose From the Grave - The New York Times - July 11th, 2021
- Son review creepy slice of southern gothic that is the mother of all horror movies - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- Michelle Williams to Play King Henry VIIIs Last Wife in Horror Film Firebrand - Hollywood Reporter - July 11th, 2021
- 'The Swarm' Trailer: It's Invasion of the Killer Locusts in Netflix's New Horror Movie - /FILM - July 11th, 2021
- The Haunted House Restaurant nears opening sneak peek (photos) - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Animated Horror Movie 'The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf' Coming to Netflix in August [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Twists That Changed EVERYTHING - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- The Best Horror Movies of 2021 So Far, According to Critics - Best Life - June 14th, 2021
- Sanford native brings horror movie production to hometown - WNEM Saginaw - June 14th, 2021
- Four horror movies based on real stories - Deccan Herald - June 14th, 2021
- Sanford native to produce, act in horror movie in hometown - Midland Daily News - June 14th, 2021
- The Night House: Horror film that breaks the rules of jump scares gets release date - The Independent - June 14th, 2021
- The Witchers Freya Allan To Star In Horror Thriller Baghead - Deadline - June 14th, 2021
- [Herald Interview] Director of animated horror film Climbing hopes to share plight of pregnant women - The Korea Herald - June 14th, 2021
- Reviving a 24,000-Year-Old Animal Is Exactly How a Horror Movie Would Start - The Mary Sue - June 14th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Netflix Horror Movie: What We Know So Far - What's on Netflix - June 14th, 2021
- From 'Werewolves Within' to 'False Positive,' your guide to the sci-fi & horror films at Tribeca Film Festival 2021 - SYFY WIRE - June 14th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Watch After 'The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It' - /FILM - June 14th, 2021
- Edmonton weather: Foggy mornings remind me of eerie horror movies and I love it! - Edmonton Journal - June 14th, 2021
- 13 Movie and TV Adaptations of Horror Books and Where to Stream Them - Book Riot - May 21st, 2021
- Creepy New Horror Movie Is Terrifying Amazon Prime Users - We Got This Covered - May 21st, 2021
- Charlie Clouser on scoring horror films, the early days of industrial rock, and his love of the unusual - MusicTech - May 21st, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: Five 2021 Horror Movies You Can Stream This Week That You Might've Missed - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Tony-winning actress to debut horror film at Hamilton festival - TheSpec.com - May 21st, 2021
- 50 Horror Movies With the Worst Ratings on Rotten Tomatoes - Newsweek - May 21st, 2021
- Seance movie review a smart and twisty horror movie - Assignment X - May 21st, 2021
- What to Know About Spiral and the Saw Franchise - The New York Times - May 21st, 2021
- As Movie Theaters Reopen, a Sense of Relief - Hollywood Reporter - May 21st, 2021
- Game Of Thrones Alum Nathalie Emmanuel And Garrett Hedlund To Star In Screen Gems Horror Pic The Bride - Deadline - May 21st, 2021
- Review: Same-sex slasher The Retreat is a horror film several cuts above - The Globe and Mail - May 21st, 2021
- Initiation review campus horror is more bore than gore - The Guardian - May 21st, 2021
- Tony Todd and Tobin Bell Face an Alien Invasion in Sci-fi/Horror Movie 'The Bunker' - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Check Out Images From All the Horror Films Playing This Year's Virtual Fest - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- 'Chain Saw Confidential' Movie Will Be a Dark Comedy About the Making of 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' - /FILM - May 21st, 2021
- 'Army of the Dead' and more of the all-time greatest zombie movies - Wonderwall - May 21st, 2021
- The 30 Best Horror Movies on Netflix, According to Critics - Newsweek - May 8th, 2021
- Best Shudder movies: the essential horror films to watch on the streamer - Gamesradar - May 8th, 2021
- Review: 'Initiation' into this horror movie isn't worth the effort - The Detroit News - May 8th, 2021
- Over 20 New Horror Movies and Shows Releasing in May 2021! - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Pastor and Wife's Eyes Gouged, Ears Bitten in 'Out of Horror Movie' Attack - Newsweek - May 8th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero