Will you stick with the classics or dare to try something else?By Josie Klakstrm
The week leading up to Halloween is that turning point of autumn into the darker depths of welcoming winter. During those seven days, adults and children across the country try to fit in as many Halloween and horror films as possible. However, going down the well-beaten track of classics likeHalloween,Friday the 13th,and the Hammer boxsets can get a little repetitive. So, here are five films you should consider streaming this year for spooky Halloween.
This Japanese masterpiece will be found on my underrated horror film lists, but it truly is superb. Shot in less than a month, this small cast movie follows a man looking for love in all the wrong places.
When Shigeharus son suggests he find himself a new wife, the widower and his film producer friend embark on a fake audition process to find someone new. When Asami arrives, she captivates Shigeharu, and despite none of her references checking out, the pair begin to spend more time together.
Cue a severe case of the jealous girlfriend, and you have a superb but disturbing horror film.
Some forewarning needs to be given with this film, as it includes child murder. In fact, when the film was shown at Cannes Film Festival in 2017, over 100 audience members left the viewing. However, the film, directed by Lars Von Trier, was met with a ten-minute standing ovation when the credits rolled.
Jack, played by Matt Dillon, is a serial killer whose life the audience follows for over a decade throughout his crimes. With bit-parts from the lives of Uma Thurman and Riley Keough, The House That Jack Built is a masterpiece in the mundane-horror genre.
This film is not for the fainthearted, but its definitely worth a watch.
Widely believed to be John Cusacks last good film, 1408 is based on Stephen Kings short story. Starring Samuel L. Jackson, Cusacks Michael Enslin, an author who spends his nights at haunted hotels to gauge their supernatural events, gets invited to The Dolphin in New York city.
Room 1408 serves as a real-life Alice in Wonderland horror story with paintings of the sea flooding the hotel room and inexplicable dealings withsomething.
Cusacks performance as a sceptical auteur turned terrified adult isnt bad, and this film is a good one to watch with the lights out.
Whether youre watching the Austrian or American version of this film, it doesnt matter theyre a shot for shot remake by the same director.
The Farber family, consisting of Naomi Watts and Tim Roth in the US version, drive to their vacation house on a lake when they end up embroiled in a day of sadistic games with two strangers in the form of Michael Pitt and Brady Corbet. Theres an instance of a fourth-wall break and some truly horrible scenes of absolute desperation, but its a cracking film, whether you go for the subtitled version or not.
This British horror film has a Big Brother feel to it. Five people spend six months in a large house in the middle of nowhere while cameras film them. However, that isnt the only game going on in the empty mansion.
The film has a surprisingly good cast with Kris Lemche, Jennifer Sky and an early appearance from Bradley Cooper. Its suspenseful, and with prize money of $1million, the characters will do anything to get their hands on the money.
With a budget of just $3million, this is a cracking movie thats sorely underrated.
So, which films will you be watching this coming weekend? Will you be stepping into line and watching the classic jump-scare horror films, or will you try something a little different?
Josie Klakstrm is a British freelance writer who writes about true crime, culture and marketing. Known for her in-depth research into articles, she can be found atwww.truecrimeedition.com, where the rest of her work lives.
- From 'Halloween Ends' to Jordan Peele's 'Nope,' here's every horror movie you need to see in 2022 - USA TODAY - January 23rd, 2022
- The Bizarre Horror Movie You Never Knew Starred Meat Loaf - /Film - January 23rd, 2022
- Nanny Review: In This Atmospheric Horror Film, the American Dream Is the Real Monster - IndieWire - January 23rd, 2022
- Matt Reeves Says 'The Batman' Is "Almost a Horror Movie" - Bloody Disgusting - January 23rd, 2022
- Rebecca Sonnenshine Names The Horror Movies That Influenced Archive 81 - Exclusive - Looper - January 23rd, 2022
- Netflix Is Adding a Legendary Horror Movie in February - PopCulture.com - January 23rd, 2022
- 'Scream' tops the box office, becoming the latest horror movie hit - Business Insider - January 23rd, 2022
- Have Horror Films Become Too Smart for Their Own Good? - AnOther Magazine - January 23rd, 2022
- Jesse Eisenberg returns with a "Sundance movie," while two horror films shift the definition of one - Yahoo Entertainment - January 23rd, 2022
- 10 Best Horror Movies With Creepy Toys To Watch With 'The Jack in the Box: Awakening' - Bloody Disgusting - January 23rd, 2022
- Stan Helsing (2009) - IMDb - January 9th, 2022
- Five New Horror Movies Releasing This Week and 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' Comes Home! - Bloody Disgusting - January 9th, 2022
- Will This New Spanish Horror Movie Take Over Netflix's Top Spot? - Looper - January 9th, 2022
- The Wasteland cast: Whos in the Netflix horror movie? - Netflix Life - January 9th, 2022
- 5 Horror Movies That Deserve Their Own TV Show Spin-Off - Cinema Blend - January 9th, 2022
- An Apartment Becomes a Tomb in Paranoia Horror Movie 'Alone With You' This February [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - January 9th, 2022
- Betty White Was Wickedly Funny in This Cult Horror Movie - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 9th, 2022
- Where to stream winter horror that will chill you to the bone - 1428 Elm - January 9th, 2022
- Dear David: Justin Long Joins Horror Movie Based on Viral Tweet Thread - ComicBook.com - January 9th, 2022
- 'The Stairs' - Horror Movie About a Mysterious Set of Stairs in the Middle of the Woods Now Streaming Exclusively on Screambox! - Bloody Disgusting - January 9th, 2022
- The Major Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror Anniversaries of Winter 2022 - Gizmodo - January 9th, 2022
- In the Mouth of Madness (1994) Revisited Horror Movie Review - JoBlo.com - January 9th, 2022
- Apartment 7A: New Horror Film From The Director Of Relic Will Star Ozark's Julia Garner - /Film - January 9th, 2022
- They Screamed, We Screamed. Now Theyre in Scream Again. - The New York Times - January 9th, 2022
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) WTF Happened to This Horror Movie? - JoBlo.com - January 9th, 2022
- Entertainment company reveals plans for 'zombie experience' and drive-in horror cinema at former Camelot Theme Park - Lancashire Evening Post - January 9th, 2022
- Your Favorite Scary Movie: The Oral History of Scream - The Ringer - December 27th, 2021
- The Best Sci-Fi, Horror, Action and International Movies of 2021 - The New York Times - December 27th, 2021
- Disney's Creepy '80s Horror Movie You Have To See To Believe - /Film - December 27th, 2021
- The Frighteners (1996) WTF Happened to This Horror Movie? - JoBlo.com - December 27th, 2021
- One of the scariest Christmas horror movies of all time was filmed in Toronto - Curiocity - December 27th, 2021
- 'Stranger Things': Every Horror Movie Referenced in the Hit Netflix Series So Far - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 27th, 2021
- A Painfully Generic Horror Movie Conjures up Streaming Success - We Got This Covered - December 27th, 2021
- Spider-Man: No Way Home box office vs. the 10 biggest movies of all time - Polygon - December 27th, 2021
- First Look at Sam Raimi's 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' Brings Horror to the MCU! [Teaser] - Bloody Disgusting - December 27th, 2021
- William Shatner once starred in one of the weirdest Christmas movies ever - Redshirts Always Die - December 27th, 2021
- 19 Child Actors Who Were So Amazing In Their Debut Roles, It's A Little Scary - BuzzFeed - December 27th, 2021
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife Star Explains The 'Disgusting' Ectoplasm He Had To Eat And It Didn't Even Make The Movie - CinemaBlend - December 27th, 2021
- Way before Ramsay Brothers, this was the Hindi film that started Bollywoods romance with purani havelis - The Indian Express - December 27th, 2021
- What's the future of the film industry in the River Valley? - Times Record - December 27th, 2021
- Tom Hanks' First Movie Was a Slasher Film Inspired by 'Halloween' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 27th, 2021
- MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL And The Horror Of Disney - FANGORIA - December 27th, 2021
- NECA Will Be Bringing a 'Krampus' Action Figure Down the Chimney Next Year! - Bloody Disgusting - December 27th, 2021
- The boy whose real-life story inspired classic horror movie The Exorcist - ARY NEWS - December 27th, 2021
- Let It Come Down: Joel Coens The Tragedy of Macbeth may well be the best horror movie of 2021 - East Bay Express - December 27th, 2021
- The Humans Director Breaks Down the Films Creepy New York Apartment Thats Straight Out of a Horror Movie - IndieWire - November 29th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 29th, 2021
- He Made a Horror Movie About Pizzagate, then the Death Threats Started - VICE - November 29th, 2021
- Eli Roths Thanksgiving The Horror Movie That Almost Was - JoBlo.com - November 29th, 2021
- The Power of the Dog Review: If A24 Made A Western - Bleeding Cool News - November 29th, 2021
- Horror on Sea film festival returns to Southend following two year covid hiatus - Echo - November 29th, 2021
- What Jason Voorhees From The Original Friday The 13th Looks Like Today - Looper - November 29th, 2021
- Enjoy Christmas in Kamloops on the silver screen - Kamloops This Week - November 29th, 2021
- Daily Distraction: Watch the trailer for a Columbus-filmed horror movie out today - Columbus Alive - November 13th, 2021
- The Horror Movie That Caused People To Faint In Theaters - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- Whoa, Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters made a horror movie - Vanyaland - November 13th, 2021
- Paris Hilton Reveals What Scared Her While Filming 'House of Wax': 'I Couldn't See It Alone' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 13th, 2021
- In space, no one can hear your opinion: How 'Alien' is still the perfect blueprint for horror - The Observer - November 13th, 2021
- 'Scream' - Looking Back at the '90s Horror Landscape Before Wes Craven Changed the Game - Bloody Disgusting - November 13th, 2021
- 13 New Movies You Can Watch on Netflix This Weekend Best Life - Best Life - November 13th, 2021
- Karthik Sasidharan bags the lead role in a horror movie - Times of India - November 13th, 2021
- Paranormal Horror Movie 'They Live in the Grey' Will Haunt Shudder in Early 2022 - Bloody Disgusting - November 2nd, 2021
- 15 Banned Horror Movies That Are Too Disturbing to Watch - Newsweek - November 2nd, 2021
- Here's What Horror Movie Icons Look Like Then Vs. Now - BuzzFeed - November 2nd, 2021
- The best slasher horror movies rely on these 6 masks - Polygon - November 2nd, 2021
- Do you like horror movies? Expert says there's a scientific reason why people love to be scared - CBS News - November 2nd, 2021
- Halloween viewing: the search for the scariest horror movie ever made - Big Think - November 2nd, 2021
- Netflix Released Its First-Ever Horror Movie Written Entirely by Bots - PopCulture.com - November 2nd, 2021
- These horror movie foods are supposed to be gross... but look delicious! - Salon - November 2nd, 2021
- Why James Wan's 'Malignant' is the cult horror film of 2021 - Los Angeles Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Society, the Cult Horror Film Where the Monster Is Class Conflict - Jacobin magazine - November 2nd, 2021
- 'Antlers' blunts its creepy horror by branching off in too many directions - CNN - November 2nd, 2021
- The tricks that make horror movies look real - Vox.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Say hello to our Collective Nightmares in horror films - CU Boulder Today - November 2nd, 2021
- The 20 Horror Movies With the Most Jump Scares - Mental Floss - November 2nd, 2021
- Where horror movie sound effects and ghosts boo come from - Polygon - November 2nd, 2021
- Five Horror Films to Stream Now - The New York Times - October 20th, 2021
- 15 best horror movies to watch on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and Hulu - Polygon - October 20th, 2021
- Review: Scandinavian horror movie has tremendous banalities - Ithaca College The Ithacan - October 20th, 2021
- 21 Films That Fans Chose As The Most Perfect Horror Movies To Ever Exist In Cinematic History - BuzzFeed - October 20th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero