Director Kim Hye-mi (Ours)
I wanted to show that pregnancy not only has bright sides to it but a dark side to it as well. And I wanted to show is that we dont have to always view it only positively, Kim said during a recent interview with The Korea Herald. I wanted to focus on the internal changes that pregnant women go through.
Climbing introduces Choi Se-hyeon, a professional climber who has lost her baby due to an accident. As she is preparing for the Climbing World Championship, she receives a mysterious call on her old mobile phone that had been damaged during the accident. She ends up connecting to herself in a parallel universe, where she is still pregnant. After the call, Se-hyeon starts to notice some strange physical changes.
It was the negative and obsessive emotions Kim felt during her own pregnancy that inspired the director to create the story.
When I was pregnant I had a dream in which I was not aware that I was pregnant and was hanging out with my friends, drinking. Then all of a sudden I realized that I was pregnant and was not supposed to drink, she said.
After waking up from that dream, the director said she felt a bit guilty because it seemed to show that she was not fully ready to be a mother.
When I became pregnant, I could not immediately switch on a motherhood mode and change myself. I went through a time of anguish and anxiety. I wanted to show that in the movie, the director said.
During the interview, she also addressed some of the criticisms about the animation that were raised online after it was screened at film festivals. The posts say that the film portrays pregnancy too negatively.
I think there can be different opinions, she said. I am not trying to say lets not have babies through my film. I just wanted to share my experience.
Kim felt that her experience eventually helped her become a stronger mother, after she admitted to herself that there were not only always positive sides to pregnancy.
A scene from Korean animated horror film Climbing (KAFA)
Created in 1960, the animated film fest is considered one of the big four international animated film festivals along with the Ottawa International Animated Film Festival in Canada, the Hiroshima International Animation Festival in Japan, and the Zagreb World Festival of Animated Films in Croatia.
I thought that maybe the obsession that mothers can have over babies was something that only Koreans could relate to. When I heard that it was invited to be screened at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival, I was glad because it meant the festival organizers were interested in a story on emotions of a pregnant woman, she said.
Kim also discussed how she created the dark, haunting mood of the animated film.
The tone of the movie was inspired by HBOs Fantasmagorias series. I liked the tone in the series so I used it as my reference, she said.
Since Climbing is a limited-budget indie film produced by the Korean Academy of Film Arts, Kim said she also had to make strategic choices when it came to artistic style.
I intentionally avoided making it look similar to Disney or Pixar characters. Because if it is similar (to them) the audiences would expect the quality of my film to also be high like them.
Climbing will hit local theaters on Wednesday.
By Song Seung-hyun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Five Horror Films to Stream Now - The New York Times - October 20th, 2021
- 15 best horror movies to watch on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and Hulu - Polygon - October 20th, 2021
- Review: Scandinavian horror movie has tremendous banalities - Ithaca College The Ithacan - October 20th, 2021
- 21 Films That Fans Chose As The Most Perfect Horror Movies To Ever Exist In Cinematic History - BuzzFeed - October 20th, 2021
- The Original Halloween Will Never Be Matched - The Atlantic - October 20th, 2021
- This twisted psychological horror movie is #1 on Netflix today - BGR - October 20th, 2021
- Horror Icon Jason Blum Reveals The Scariest Movies Hes Seen - CinemaBlend - October 20th, 2021
- 13 Scariest Horror Movie Monsters Of The 2010s, Ranked - GameSpot - October 20th, 2021
- Indie Film: The history of these Maine locales are fit for horror films - Press Herald - October 20th, 2021
- Insidious Cast: What The Stars Of The James Wan Horror Movie Are Up To Now - Cinema Blend - October 20th, 2021
- Death is Good: The Horror Films of Val Lewton | Features - Roger Ebert - October 20th, 2021
- These 7 Horror Movies Are So Outstanding, They Should Have Received Oscars - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- The greatest '80s horror movie of all time was shot in the Bay Area - SFGate - October 20th, 2021
- Tell Us About The Most Beautifully Breathtaking Shot You've Ever Seen In A Horror Movie - BuzzFeed - October 20th, 2021
- This nerve-shredding Netflix horror movie is finding new life ahead of Halloween - BGR - October 20th, 2021
- Lamb, Reviewed: A Horror Film Where Cleverness Is the Problem - The New Yorker - October 9th, 2021
- This is the Best Horror Movie Set in Wyoming and Here's Why - Kgab - October 9th, 2021
- Watch the First Horror Movie Written Exclusively by Bots - Nerdist - October 9th, 2021
- 'Titane' is automotive body horror and the most shockingly wholesome movie of the year - USA TODAY - October 9th, 2021
- The '70s Horror Movie That Is So Confusing It Needs A Second Watch - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Ted Lasso is reimagined as a horror movie in creepy spoof trailer - Gamesradar - October 9th, 2021
- 15 Scary Woodland Horror Movies Set To Terrify You This Halloween - GameSpot - October 9th, 2021
- An Old Horror Film Is Dominating Streaming Today - We Got This Covered - October 9th, 2021
- The Relentless, Transgressive Horror of Titane - The Atlantic - October 9th, 2021
- Ted Lasso fan edit turns the show into a horror movie - CNET - October 9th, 2021
- 18 New Horror Movies and Shows Releasing This Week, Including 'V/H/S/94'! - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- This Horror Movie "Needs More Love" According To The Internet - We Got This Covered - October 9th, 2021
- This 70s Horror Film Doesn't Get Enough Love According To The Internet - We Got This Covered - October 9th, 2021
- The 15 Best '70s Horror Movies Ranked - /Film - October 9th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Unbelievably Cut What We Wanted To See - WhatCulture - October 9th, 2021
- Give Female Directors Some Love! Here Are the Best Horror Movies Directed by Women - Distractify - October 9th, 2021
- The Batman Test Audience Reactions: "A Horror Movie," "Very Scary" - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- 5 horror movies have topped the box office this year and it shows why the genre is well-suited for the current market - Yahoo News - September 5th, 2021
- 20 Best Horror Movies on HBO Max for Halloween 2021 - Scary Movies to Stream on HBO Max - TownandCountrymag.com - August 24th, 2021
- The Horror Film That Was Made in Union County, KY - wbkr.com - August 24th, 2021
- 'The Last Matinee,' 'Censor,' and the power of retro horror done right - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'The Sadness' Goes for the Jugular With Transgressive, Extreme Horror - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2021
- Rebecca Hall on The Night House, the Most Expertly Made Horror Movie of the Year - Vogue - August 24th, 2021
- 'District 9' Director Neill Blomkamp on His Chilling Foray into VR Horror and America-Inspired 'District 10' - The Daily Beast - August 24th, 2021
- Halloween: Every Movie In The Horror Series, Ranked - CinemaBlend - August 24th, 2021
- 14 Best Horror Movies to Stream on Amazon Prime - Your Money Geek - August 24th, 2021
- The Singing Ringing Tree Is Right Out of a Horror Movie - Nerdist - August 24th, 2021
- The Night House review: A haunted-house horror with cosmic secrets - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Endings That Get Worse The More You Think About It - WhatCulture - August 24th, 2021
- Boomika movie review: Aishwarya Rajeshs film is a visually pleasing thriller with convoluted messaging - Hindustan Times - August 24th, 2021
- Whats on TV This Week: Lorde on Late Night and American Horror Story - The New York Times - August 24th, 2021
- You Might've Missed This Iconic Horror Reference In Blood Red Sky - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Candyman - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Superhero Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Best horror movies on Netflix: These titles will scare you half to death - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Aishwarya Rajeshs Boomika promises to be a gripping horror movie - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2021
- CANDYMAN and 10 Other Horror Trailers That Give Us Nightmares - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Teddy review wince-inducing French werewolf horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The 10 Best Horror Movies Of The 80s - We Got This Covered - August 10th, 2021
- Bleed With Me review threes a crowd in taut bloodsucking horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The Best German Movies to Stream on Netflix Now - TownandCountrymag.com - August 10th, 2021
- How to Watch a Horror Movie: 13 Steps (with Pictures ... - July 26th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Stream Now - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Box Office: Old Proves That M. Night Shyamalan Remains A Bankable Horror Director - Forbes - July 26th, 2021
- Netflixs new nerve-shredding horror movie has viewers jumping out of their seats - BGR - July 26th, 2021
- Netflix's New Horror Movie Has Users On The Edge Of Their Seats - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- The Action Horror Movie That Has Netflix Subscribers Gripping Their Seats - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Horror Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Hybrid horror-LGBTQ film shot in Danbury accepted to 20 festivals - Danbury News Times - July 26th, 2021
- 13 Psychological Horror Movies That Will Destroy Your Brain For All The Wrong Reasons - GameSpot - July 26th, 2021
- 'Director's Cut' Ends the Season with Horror Film 'The Field' July 23 - PBS Wisconsin - July 26th, 2021
- How the horror genre is dying in India sans innovation and imagination - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- 1960s to today: Popular movies filmed in the Las Cruces area - Las Cruces Sun-News - July 26th, 2021
- Streaming Horror Movies About the Elderly /Film - /FILM - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 5 Thai Horror Films on Netflix That Will Absolutely Terrify You - Tatler Singapore - July 11th, 2021
- The Vigil movie review: Amazon scores one of the most underrated horror films in years, sleepless nights await - Hindustan Times - July 11th, 2021
- The Schlock-Horror Drive-In That Rose From the Grave - The New York Times - July 11th, 2021
- Son review creepy slice of southern gothic that is the mother of all horror movies - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- Film 'The Medium' director says film is 'new type of horror' - The Korea Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Michelle Williams to Play King Henry VIIIs Last Wife in Horror Film Firebrand - Hollywood Reporter - July 11th, 2021
- 'The Swarm' Trailer: It's Invasion of the Killer Locusts in Netflix's New Horror Movie - /FILM - July 11th, 2021
- The Haunted House Restaurant nears opening sneak peek (photos) - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Animated Horror Movie 'The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf' Coming to Netflix in August [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Twists That Changed EVERYTHING - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- The Best Horror Movies of 2021 So Far, According to Critics - Best Life - June 14th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero