Offering vampires, zombies and ghosts galore, horror movies are certainly not for the faint-hearted.
But if you are ready to be freaked out, Newsweek has compiled the top-rated in the horror genre on Netflix, according to MetaCritic review aggregates.
After a woman's building is struck by a missile during the Iran-Iraq War, a superstitious neighbor becomes convinced the missile was cursed and carrying evil Middle-Eastern spirits.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Under the Shadow deftly blends seemingly disparate genres to deliver an effective chiller with timely themes and thought-provoking social subtext."
Three filmmakers venture into Maryland's forest to shoot a documentary on a local legend, The Blair Witch. They are never heard from again and their footage is discovered one year later.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Full of creepy campfire scares, mock-doc The Blair Witch Project keeps audiences in the dark about its titular villain, proving once more that imagination can be as scary as anything onscreen."
A family man (played by Joel Edgerton) discovers the evil pervading his home is only the precursor to the horrors originating from within.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "It Comes at Night makes lethally effective use of its bare-bones trappings while proving once again that what's left unseen can be just as horrifying as anything on the screen."
A woman takes a road trip with her new boyfriend to his family farm, where they are trapped during a winter storm.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Aided by stellar performances from Jessie Buckley and Jesse Plemons, I'm Thinking of Ending Things finds writer-director Charlie Kaufman grappling with the human condition as only he can."
A woman battles to survive when her husband dies unexpectedly, leaving her handcuffed to their bed frame in a remote country house.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Carla Gugino carries Gerald's Game's small-scale suspense with a career-defining performance."
Young friends from the Bronx battle to save their neighborhood from a pack of vampires.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "In the sharp, socially conscious battle of Vampires vs. the Bronx, comedy and horror blend brilliantly and the audience is the winner."
A filmmaker looking for work visits a remote house in the forest to meet someone claiming to be a serial killer.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Creep 2 has everything that made the original work and moremore laughs, more awkwardness, more unsettling terror."
Tension builds when a man arrives at a dinner party hosted by his ex-wife and her new husband.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "The Invitation makes brilliant use of its tension-rich premise to deliver a uniquely effectiveand surprisingly cleverslow-building thriller."
A filmmaker answers a Craigslist ad for a one-day job in a remote mountain house.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "A smart, oddball take on found-footage horror, Creep is clever and well-acted enough to keep viewers on the edges of their seats."
Prisoners living in vertically stacked cells watch hungrily as food descends from above.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "While it may feel muddled at times, The Platform is an inventive and captivating dystopian thriller."
A charismatic surgeon (played by Colin Farrell) has no choice but to make an unthinkable sacrifice after his life begins to disintegrate.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "The Killing of a Sacred Deer continues director Yorgos Lanthimos' stubbornly idiosyncratic streakand demonstrates again that he is a talent not to be ignored."
Four eccentric strangers group together to survive the zombie apocalypse and travel through the southwestern U.S.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Wickedly funny and featuring plenty of gore, Zombieland is proof that the zombie subgenre is far from dead."
A refugee couple struggles to settle into their new life in a provincial English town with an evil lurking beneath the surface.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Featuring genuine scares through every corridor, His House is a terrifying look at the specters of the refugee experience and a stunning feature debut for Remi Weekes."
A local boy attempts to save his rural town when it is is held under siege by zombies.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Beautifully animated and solidly scripted, ParaNorman will entertain (and frighten) older children while providing surprisingly thoughtful fare for their parents."
A social outcast begins on a bloody quest to save his long-lost daughter from criminals.
Noel Murray of the Los Angeles Times wrote: "He Never Died isn't as fleshed out as it could be, but what the film lacks in vivid supporting characters and rich plotting it gets back from [Henry] Rollins, whose innate charisma carries the film."
A camgirl wakes to learn she has been replaced on her show with an exact replica of herself.
Jeannette Catsoulis of The New York Times writes: "An online sex worker has her identity hijacked in this unusual techno-thriller with an oddly feminist twist."
This horror based on a Stephen King short story finds a rancher conspiring to murder his wife.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Thanks to director Zak Hilditch's patient storytelling and strong work from lead Thomas Jane, 1922 ranks among the more satisfying Stephen King adaptations."
If you enjoy it, check out these other movies based on King's work.
A passionate holiday romance results in a sinister and obsessive relationship.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Berlin Syndrome offers thriller fans an uncommonly well-written descent into dangerous obsession, enlivened by taut direction and a committed performance from Teresa Palmer."
A troubled woman on the edge of divorce moves in with her sister and embarks on a vicious crusade of revenge.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Violation presents a powerful depiction of one woman's traumaand its uncomfortably gripping aftermath."
Two paranormal investigators attempt to save a family terrorized by a dark presence in their remote home.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Well-crafted and gleefully creepy, The Conjuring ratchets up dread through a series of effective old-school scares."
Two girls left alone at their isolated prep school during winter recess encounter some terrifying events.
Michael O'Sullivan of The Washington Post wrote: "Although very little happens in the way of traditional horror-movie jump-scares, Blackcoat builds and builds toward a profoundly disquieting sense that something really bad is coming."
A couple adopts a sweet eight-year-old boy who is terrified of falling asleep.
Jeffrey Anderson of Common Sense Media writes: "This long-delayed fantasy-horror movie comes from a very talented director, Mike Flanagan, and has some interesting aspects."
A deaf woman enjoying life alone in the woods encounters a masked killer at her window.
Reviewer Chris Stuckmann writes: "An intelligent thriller that finds almost constant ways to introduce blood-curdling tension."
The relationship of a couple celebrating their first anniversary at a secluded cabin unravels.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Smart, stylish, and well-acted, What Keeps You Alive proves it's still possible to spin an engrossing horror yarn without fundamentally altering established formula."
A young woman moves to a remote mountain mansion lled with secrets threatening to engulf her.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Crimson Peak offers an engaging albeit somewhat slight diversion driven by a delightfully creepy atmosphere and director Guillermo del Toro's brilliant knack for unforgettable visuals."
A man attempting to renovate his dilapidated home for his family discovers the building has a terrifying secret.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Girl on the Third Floor proves a good old-fashioned haunted house story can still be entertainingand put a fresh spin on established genre formula."
A single mother enlists occult investigators when she and her children encounter paranormal events in their home.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "The Conjuring 2 can't help but lose a bit of its predecessor's chilly sting through familiarity, but what remains is still a superior ghost story told with spine-tingling skill."
A teenage girl and the robot she is raised by are tested by a stranger's unexpected arrival.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Suspenseful, well-acted, and intelligent, I Am Mother is an ambitious sci-fi story that largely achieves its impressive aims."
A pair of New Orleans paramedics encounter a series of mysterious and horrifying accidents.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Synchronic sets off on an intriguingly idiosyncratic journey that should satisfy fans of Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson's earlier work."
A man searching for the wolves that killed three children unravels a harrowing mystery.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Hold the Dark's unsettling aesthetic offers more of what filmgoers expect from director Jeremy Saulnierand is often enough to prop up shaky narrative underpinnings."
- The Batman Test Audience Reactions: "A Horror Movie," "Very Scary" - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- 5 horror movies have topped the box office this year and it shows why the genre is well-suited for the current market - Yahoo News - September 5th, 2021
- 20 Best Horror Movies on HBO Max for Halloween 2021 - Scary Movies to Stream on HBO Max - TownandCountrymag.com - August 24th, 2021
- The Horror Film That Was Made in Union County, KY - wbkr.com - August 24th, 2021
- 'The Last Matinee,' 'Censor,' and the power of retro horror done right - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'The Sadness' Goes for the Jugular With Transgressive, Extreme Horror - Bloody Disgusting - August 24th, 2021
- Rebecca Hall on The Night House, the Most Expertly Made Horror Movie of the Year - Vogue - August 24th, 2021
- 'District 9' Director Neill Blomkamp on His Chilling Foray into VR Horror and America-Inspired 'District 10' - The Daily Beast - August 24th, 2021
- Halloween: Every Movie In The Horror Series, Ranked - CinemaBlend - August 24th, 2021
- 14 Best Horror Movies to Stream on Amazon Prime - Your Money Geek - August 24th, 2021
- The Singing Ringing Tree Is Right Out of a Horror Movie - Nerdist - August 24th, 2021
- The Night House review: A haunted-house horror with cosmic secrets - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Endings That Get Worse The More You Think About It - WhatCulture - August 24th, 2021
- Boomika movie review: Aishwarya Rajeshs film is a visually pleasing thriller with convoluted messaging - Hindustan Times - August 24th, 2021
- Whats on TV This Week: Lorde on Late Night and American Horror Story - The New York Times - August 24th, 2021
- You Might've Missed This Iconic Horror Reference In Blood Red Sky - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Candyman - Looper - August 24th, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Superhero Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Best horror movies on Netflix: These titles will scare you half to death - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Aishwarya Rajeshs Boomika promises to be a gripping horror movie - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2021
- CANDYMAN and 10 Other Horror Trailers That Give Us Nightmares - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Teddy review wince-inducing French werewolf horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The 10 Best Horror Movies Of The 80s - We Got This Covered - August 10th, 2021
- Bleed With Me review threes a crowd in taut bloodsucking horror - The Guardian - August 10th, 2021
- The Best German Movies to Stream on Netflix Now - TownandCountrymag.com - August 10th, 2021
- How to Watch a Horror Movie: 13 Steps (with Pictures ... - July 26th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Stream Now - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Box Office: Old Proves That M. Night Shyamalan Remains A Bankable Horror Director - Forbes - July 26th, 2021
- Netflixs new nerve-shredding horror movie has viewers jumping out of their seats - BGR - July 26th, 2021
- Netflix's New Horror Movie Has Users On The Edge Of Their Seats - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- The Action Horror Movie That Has Netflix Subscribers Gripping Their Seats - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Horror Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Hybrid horror-LGBTQ film shot in Danbury accepted to 20 festivals - Danbury News Times - July 26th, 2021
- 13 Psychological Horror Movies That Will Destroy Your Brain For All The Wrong Reasons - GameSpot - July 26th, 2021
- 'Director's Cut' Ends the Season with Horror Film 'The Field' July 23 - PBS Wisconsin - July 26th, 2021
- How the horror genre is dying in India sans innovation and imagination - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- 1960s to today: Popular movies filmed in the Las Cruces area - Las Cruces Sun-News - July 26th, 2021
- Streaming Horror Movies About the Elderly /Film - /FILM - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 5 Thai Horror Films on Netflix That Will Absolutely Terrify You - Tatler Singapore - July 11th, 2021
- The Vigil movie review: Amazon scores one of the most underrated horror films in years, sleepless nights await - Hindustan Times - July 11th, 2021
- The Schlock-Horror Drive-In That Rose From the Grave - The New York Times - July 11th, 2021
- Son review creepy slice of southern gothic that is the mother of all horror movies - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- Film 'The Medium' director says film is 'new type of horror' - The Korea Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Michelle Williams to Play King Henry VIIIs Last Wife in Horror Film Firebrand - Hollywood Reporter - July 11th, 2021
- 'The Swarm' Trailer: It's Invasion of the Killer Locusts in Netflix's New Horror Movie - /FILM - July 11th, 2021
- The Haunted House Restaurant nears opening sneak peek (photos) - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Animated Horror Movie 'The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf' Coming to Netflix in August [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Twists That Changed EVERYTHING - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- The Best Horror Movies of 2021 So Far, According to Critics - Best Life - June 14th, 2021
- Sanford native brings horror movie production to hometown - WNEM Saginaw - June 14th, 2021
- Four horror movies based on real stories - Deccan Herald - June 14th, 2021
- Sanford native to produce, act in horror movie in hometown - Midland Daily News - June 14th, 2021
- The Night House: Horror film that breaks the rules of jump scares gets release date - The Independent - June 14th, 2021
- The Witchers Freya Allan To Star In Horror Thriller Baghead - Deadline - June 14th, 2021
- [Herald Interview] Director of animated horror film Climbing hopes to share plight of pregnant women - The Korea Herald - June 14th, 2021
- Reviving a 24,000-Year-Old Animal Is Exactly How a Horror Movie Would Start - The Mary Sue - June 14th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Netflix Horror Movie: What We Know So Far - What's on Netflix - June 14th, 2021
- From 'Werewolves Within' to 'False Positive,' your guide to the sci-fi & horror films at Tribeca Film Festival 2021 - SYFY WIRE - June 14th, 2021
- Five Horror Movies to Watch After 'The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It' - /FILM - June 14th, 2021
- Edmonton weather: Foggy mornings remind me of eerie horror movies and I love it! - Edmonton Journal - June 14th, 2021
- 13 Movie and TV Adaptations of Horror Books and Where to Stream Them - Book Riot - May 21st, 2021
- Creepy New Horror Movie Is Terrifying Amazon Prime Users - We Got This Covered - May 21st, 2021
- Charlie Clouser on scoring horror films, the early days of industrial rock, and his love of the unusual - MusicTech - May 21st, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: Five 2021 Horror Movies You Can Stream This Week That You Might've Missed - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Tony-winning actress to debut horror film at Hamilton festival - TheSpec.com - May 21st, 2021
- 50 Horror Movies With the Worst Ratings on Rotten Tomatoes - Newsweek - May 21st, 2021
- Seance movie review a smart and twisty horror movie - Assignment X - May 21st, 2021
- What to Know About Spiral and the Saw Franchise - The New York Times - May 21st, 2021
- As Movie Theaters Reopen, a Sense of Relief - Hollywood Reporter - May 21st, 2021
- Game Of Thrones Alum Nathalie Emmanuel And Garrett Hedlund To Star In Screen Gems Horror Pic The Bride - Deadline - May 21st, 2021
- Review: Same-sex slasher The Retreat is a horror film several cuts above - The Globe and Mail - May 21st, 2021
- Initiation review campus horror is more bore than gore - The Guardian - May 21st, 2021
- Tony Todd and Tobin Bell Face an Alien Invasion in Sci-fi/Horror Movie 'The Bunker' - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Check Out Images From All the Horror Films Playing This Year's Virtual Fest - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- 'Chain Saw Confidential' Movie Will Be a Dark Comedy About the Making of 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' - /FILM - May 21st, 2021
- 'Army of the Dead' and more of the all-time greatest zombie movies - Wonderwall - May 21st, 2021
- Best Shudder movies: the essential horror films to watch on the streamer - Gamesradar - May 8th, 2021
- Review: 'Initiation' into this horror movie isn't worth the effort - The Detroit News - May 8th, 2021
- Over 20 New Horror Movies and Shows Releasing in May 2021! - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Pastor and Wife's Eyes Gouged, Ears Bitten in 'Out of Horror Movie' Attack - Newsweek - May 8th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero