Offering vampires, zombies and ghosts galore, horror movies are certainly not for the faint-hearted.
But if you are ready to be freaked out, Newsweek has compiled the top-rated in the horror genre on Netflix, according to MetaCritic review aggregates.
After a woman's building is struck by a missile during the Iran-Iraq War, a superstitious neighbor becomes convinced the missile was cursed and carrying evil Middle-Eastern spirits.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Under the Shadow deftly blends seemingly disparate genres to deliver an effective chiller with timely themes and thought-provoking social subtext."
Three filmmakers venture into Maryland's forest to shoot a documentary on a local legend, The Blair Witch. They are never heard from again and their footage is discovered one year later.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Full of creepy campfire scares, mock-doc The Blair Witch Project keeps audiences in the dark about its titular villain, proving once more that imagination can be as scary as anything onscreen."
A family man (played by Joel Edgerton) discovers the evil pervading his home is only the precursor to the horrors originating from within.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "It Comes at Night makes lethally effective use of its bare-bones trappings while proving once again that what's left unseen can be just as horrifying as anything on the screen."
A woman takes a road trip with her new boyfriend to his family farm, where they are trapped during a winter storm.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Aided by stellar performances from Jessie Buckley and Jesse Plemons, I'm Thinking of Ending Things finds writer-director Charlie Kaufman grappling with the human condition as only he can."
A woman battles to survive when her husband dies unexpectedly, leaving her handcuffed to their bed frame in a remote country house.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Carla Gugino carries Gerald's Game's small-scale suspense with a career-defining performance."
Young friends from the Bronx battle to save their neighborhood from a pack of vampires.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "In the sharp, socially conscious battle of Vampires vs. the Bronx, comedy and horror blend brilliantly and the audience is the winner."
A filmmaker looking for work visits a remote house in the forest to meet someone claiming to be a serial killer.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Creep 2 has everything that made the original work and moremore laughs, more awkwardness, more unsettling terror."
Tension builds when a man arrives at a dinner party hosted by his ex-wife and her new husband.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "The Invitation makes brilliant use of its tension-rich premise to deliver a uniquely effectiveand surprisingly cleverslow-building thriller."
A filmmaker answers a Craigslist ad for a one-day job in a remote mountain house.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "A smart, oddball take on found-footage horror, Creep is clever and well-acted enough to keep viewers on the edges of their seats."
Prisoners living in vertically stacked cells watch hungrily as food descends from above.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "While it may feel muddled at times, The Platform is an inventive and captivating dystopian thriller."
A charismatic surgeon (played by Colin Farrell) has no choice but to make an unthinkable sacrifice after his life begins to disintegrate.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "The Killing of a Sacred Deer continues director Yorgos Lanthimos' stubbornly idiosyncratic streakand demonstrates again that he is a talent not to be ignored."
Four eccentric strangers group together to survive the zombie apocalypse and travel through the southwestern U.S.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Wickedly funny and featuring plenty of gore, Zombieland is proof that the zombie subgenre is far from dead."
A refugee couple struggles to settle into their new life in a provincial English town with an evil lurking beneath the surface.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Featuring genuine scares through every corridor, His House is a terrifying look at the specters of the refugee experience and a stunning feature debut for Remi Weekes."
A local boy attempts to save his rural town when it is is held under siege by zombies.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Beautifully animated and solidly scripted, ParaNorman will entertain (and frighten) older children while providing surprisingly thoughtful fare for their parents."
A social outcast begins on a bloody quest to save his long-lost daughter from criminals.
Noel Murray of the Los Angeles Times wrote: "He Never Died isn't as fleshed out as it could be, but what the film lacks in vivid supporting characters and rich plotting it gets back from [Henry] Rollins, whose innate charisma carries the film."
A camgirl wakes to learn she has been replaced on her show with an exact replica of herself.
Jeannette Catsoulis of The New York Times writes: "An online sex worker has her identity hijacked in this unusual techno-thriller with an oddly feminist twist."
This horror based on a Stephen King short story finds a rancher conspiring to murder his wife.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Thanks to director Zak Hilditch's patient storytelling and strong work from lead Thomas Jane, 1922 ranks among the more satisfying Stephen King adaptations."
If you enjoy it, check out these other movies based on King's work.
A passionate holiday romance results in a sinister and obsessive relationship.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Berlin Syndrome offers thriller fans an uncommonly well-written descent into dangerous obsession, enlivened by taut direction and a committed performance from Teresa Palmer."
A troubled woman on the edge of divorce moves in with her sister and embarks on a vicious crusade of revenge.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Violation presents a powerful depiction of one woman's traumaand its uncomfortably gripping aftermath."
Two paranormal investigators attempt to save a family terrorized by a dark presence in their remote home.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Well-crafted and gleefully creepy, The Conjuring ratchets up dread through a series of effective old-school scares."
Two girls left alone at their isolated prep school during winter recess encounter some terrifying events.
Michael O'Sullivan of The Washington Post wrote: "Although very little happens in the way of traditional horror-movie jump-scares, Blackcoat builds and builds toward a profoundly disquieting sense that something really bad is coming."
A couple adopts a sweet eight-year-old boy who is terrified of falling asleep.
Jeffrey Anderson of Common Sense Media writes: "This long-delayed fantasy-horror movie comes from a very talented director, Mike Flanagan, and has some interesting aspects."
A deaf woman enjoying life alone in the woods encounters a masked killer at her window.
Reviewer Chris Stuckmann writes: "An intelligent thriller that finds almost constant ways to introduce blood-curdling tension."
The relationship of a couple celebrating their first anniversary at a secluded cabin unravels.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Smart, stylish, and well-acted, What Keeps You Alive proves it's still possible to spin an engrossing horror yarn without fundamentally altering established formula."
A young woman moves to a remote mountain mansion lled with secrets threatening to engulf her.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Crimson Peak offers an engaging albeit somewhat slight diversion driven by a delightfully creepy atmosphere and director Guillermo del Toro's brilliant knack for unforgettable visuals."
A man attempting to renovate his dilapidated home for his family discovers the building has a terrifying secret.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Girl on the Third Floor proves a good old-fashioned haunted house story can still be entertainingand put a fresh spin on established genre formula."
A single mother enlists occult investigators when she and her children encounter paranormal events in their home.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "The Conjuring 2 can't help but lose a bit of its predecessor's chilly sting through familiarity, but what remains is still a superior ghost story told with spine-tingling skill."
A teenage girl and the robot she is raised by are tested by a stranger's unexpected arrival.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Suspenseful, well-acted, and intelligent, I Am Mother is an ambitious sci-fi story that largely achieves its impressive aims."
A pair of New Orleans paramedics encounter a series of mysterious and horrifying accidents.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Synchronic sets off on an intriguingly idiosyncratic journey that should satisfy fans of Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson's earlier work."
A man searching for the wolves that killed three children unravels a harrowing mystery.
Rotten Tomatoes' critics' consensus states: "Hold the Dark's unsettling aesthetic offers more of what filmgoers expect from director Jeremy Saulnierand is often enough to prop up shaky narrative underpinnings."
- 13 Movie and TV Adaptations of Horror Books and Where to Stream Them - Book Riot - May 21st, 2021
- Creepy New Horror Movie Is Terrifying Amazon Prime Users - We Got This Covered - May 21st, 2021
- Charlie Clouser on scoring horror films, the early days of industrial rock, and his love of the unusual - MusicTech - May 21st, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: Five 2021 Horror Movies You Can Stream This Week That You Might've Missed - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Tony-winning actress to debut horror film at Hamilton festival - TheSpec.com - May 21st, 2021
- 50 Horror Movies With the Worst Ratings on Rotten Tomatoes - Newsweek - May 21st, 2021
- Seance movie review a smart and twisty horror movie - Assignment X - May 21st, 2021
- What to Know About Spiral and the Saw Franchise - The New York Times - May 21st, 2021
- As Movie Theaters Reopen, a Sense of Relief - Hollywood Reporter - May 21st, 2021
- Game Of Thrones Alum Nathalie Emmanuel And Garrett Hedlund To Star In Screen Gems Horror Pic The Bride - Deadline - May 21st, 2021
- Review: Same-sex slasher The Retreat is a horror film several cuts above - The Globe and Mail - May 21st, 2021
- Initiation review campus horror is more bore than gore - The Guardian - May 21st, 2021
- Tony Todd and Tobin Bell Face an Alien Invasion in Sci-fi/Horror Movie 'The Bunker' - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Check Out Images From All the Horror Films Playing This Year's Virtual Fest - Bloody Disgusting - May 21st, 2021
- 'Chain Saw Confidential' Movie Will Be a Dark Comedy About the Making of 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' - /FILM - May 21st, 2021
- 'Army of the Dead' and more of the all-time greatest zombie movies - Wonderwall - May 21st, 2021
- Best Shudder movies: the essential horror films to watch on the streamer - Gamesradar - May 8th, 2021
- Review: 'Initiation' into this horror movie isn't worth the effort - The Detroit News - May 8th, 2021
- Over 20 New Horror Movies and Shows Releasing in May 2021! - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Pastor and Wife's Eyes Gouged, Ears Bitten in 'Out of Horror Movie' Attack - Newsweek - May 8th, 2021
- The 17 Best Horror Movies To Watch On Hulu Right Now (May 2021) - GameSpot - May 8th, 2021
- Ben Wheatleys In The Earth finds horror in fungi - The Verge - May 8th, 2021
- You'll Die Laughing at the Hilarious New Trailer For UNTITLED HORROR MOVIE - Available on iTunes and Amazon June 15th - We Are Movie Geeks - May 8th, 2021
- Exclusive: DC's 'The Conjuring' comic writers on what it takes to bring the horror world from screen to page - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2021
- The Horror Movie You Didn't Know Was Based On A Greek Tragedy - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Heavy Metal Horror Movies to Stream This Week! - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Netflixs Horror Movie Things Heard And Seen Is Dividing The Internet - ScreenGeek - May 8th, 2021
- The Tom Cruise Lovecraftian Horror Movie We Never Got To See - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- A Filipino cinematographer is behind the powerful images in this thrilling and timely American horror - ANCX - May 8th, 2021
- WARMINGTON: In this real-life horror movie, there's no sports or fun legally allowed - Toronto Sun - May 8th, 2021
- The Movie Like The Invitation That Horror Fans Need To Watch - Looper - May 8th, 2021
- 10 Most Terrifying Vacation Horror Movies - WhatCulture - May 8th, 2021
- 9 Eco-Horror Movies That Will Remind You to Be Nicer to the Earth - Vulture - April 23rd, 2021
- The Best Horror Movies of 2021 (So Far) - Thrillist - April 23rd, 2021
- Take a hike into terror with the Pittsburgh-shot horror film The Boonies - PGH City Paper - April 23rd, 2021
- 'In the Earth' Is the First Must-See COVID Horror Movie - The Daily Beast - April 23rd, 2021
- The Father is the Greatest Horror Movie that I've Ever Seen - Prescott eNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Movie review: Pandemic adds extra layer of threat to folk horror film 'In the Earth' - theday.com - April 23rd, 2021
- The Cher Post-Apocalyptic Horror Movie We Never Got To See - Looper - April 23rd, 2021
- Scream 3 is a brilliant horror movie that warned us about Harvey Weinstein - Polygon - April 23rd, 2021
- Netflix Producing Horror Movie The Last Will and Testament of Charles Abernathy - What's on Netflix - April 23rd, 2021
- There Are 12 Near-Perfect Horror Movies According To Metacritic - Looper - April 23rd, 2021
- Mortal Kombat Reboot Writer Wants To Make A Scary BioShock Horror Movie - We Got This Covered - April 23rd, 2021
- Fear of Rain review lurid horror film takes aim at mental illness stereotypes - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Movie Review: The Unholy | Lewiston Sun Journal - Lewiston Sun Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- The Hidden (1987) - Best Horror Movie You Never Saw - JoBlo.com - April 23rd, 2021
- A singer turned werewolf, and Alien on Stage. Two directors dig into their movie inspiration - CBC.ca - April 23rd, 2021
- Death Note 2 Will Reportedly Be More Horror Than The First Movie - We Got This Covered - April 23rd, 2021
- New On Shudder In March 2021: Exclusive Horror Movies, TV Shows, And More - GameSpot - February 20th, 2021
- The Main Reason to Watch I Care a Lot Is Rosamund Pike - Vulture - February 20th, 2021
- Alexandre Aja Producing Feature Version of Short Horror Film 'Mr. Thisforthat' - Bloody Disgusting - February 20th, 2021
- The Best Unintentionally Funny Horror Movie Scenes, According To Reddit - Looper - February 20th, 2021
- Brittany Snow & Jenna Ortega Have Been Cast In a Horror Movie Together! - Just Jared Jr. - February 20th, 2021
- Gurmeet Chaudhary will be seen in horror film, The Wife - The Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- Creepy Trailer For The Supernatural Horror Film THE TOLL GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - February 20th, 2021
- Why Aliens Best Movie Future Brings The Xenomorphs To Earth - Screen Rant - February 20th, 2021
- 6 Bollywood horror movies full of spooks and gags coming up in 2021 - GQ India - February 20th, 2021
- Zee5s horror film 'The Wife' to release on March 19 - The New Indian Express - February 20th, 2021
- Keke Palmer joins the cast of Jordan Peele's new horror movie - Shelbynews - February 17th, 2021
- A Horror Movie Targeting the Ugliness of Influencer Culture - The Daily Beast - February 17th, 2021
- How To Watch Nicolas Cages Wild New Horror Movie Online - We Got This Covered - February 17th, 2021
- 5 Women Centric Horror Films That Are A Must-Watch - SheThePeople - February 17th, 2021
- Now Scream This: Have a Spooky Valentine's Day With These Streaming Horror Movies - /FILM - February 17th, 2021
- The Most Anticipated Scary Movies Premiering on Netflix This Year - Flickering Myth - February 17th, 2021
- Rick & Morty: The Obscure Horror Movie Referenced In Never Ricking Morty - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2021
- Zee5's horror film The Wife to release on March 19 - Cinema Express - February 17th, 2021
- Charles Dance faces a tense standoff in British horror movie The Delivered - Wiki Of Thrones - February 17th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' spoilers: Why that horrifying ending will 'take you aback,' and what it all means - USA TODAY - February 17th, 2021
- What Happened To The Cast Of The Original The Amityville Horror? - Looper - February 17th, 2021
- Jayro Bustamante's Horror Movie 'La Llorona' Has Made the Oscars Shortlist for Best International Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 10th, 2021
- School's Out Forever review gloriously gory adaptation of YA sci-fi horror - The Guardian - February 10th, 2021
- Autism Within Horror: 'Come Play' and the Next Steps for Representation - Bloody Disgusting - February 10th, 2021
- The Invasion (2007) Nicole Kidman - WTF Happened to This Horror Movie - JoBlo.com - February 10th, 2021
- 'The Vigil' Watches Over a Dead Body This Month; Watch Creepy New Trailer for the Supernatural Horror Movie - Bloody Disgusting - February 10th, 2021
- After Midnight, or horror as couples therapy - The Spool - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movie Monsters That Shouldnt Work - But Do - WhatCulture - February 10th, 2021
- 'Horror movie' dog attack sees poor little Chihuahua have third of its lung removed - Daily Star - February 10th, 2021
- 'Valentine' Director Jamie Blanks Hosting a Live Commentary and Q&A for the Film's 20th Anniversary - Bloody Disgusting - February 10th, 2021
- The 50 Best Horror Movies on Netflix, According to Critics - Newsweek - February 9th, 2021
- 'The Lair': Neil Marshall Getting Ready to Film His Next "Full-On Monster Movie" - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero