Three years ago, mum-of-two Susan Daly, was given the shocking news that her four-year-old daughter Olivia had a huge mass on her liver and would have to travel to Kings Hospital London for vital treatment.
At just four years of age, Olivia kept getting poorly with more and more infections and tummy bugs than she'd ever had before. I instinctively felt something was not quite right.
"During Christmas week, in the middle of the night, we awoke to hear Olivia screaming. She had had a major internal bleed. What we faced in that bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie.
"I felt that this couldn't possibly be happening to my child. I was frozen in shock - I just saw blood everywhere. We raced to A&E where everyone sprang into action. I could see that we were losing her, fast. Thankfully, my baby came back."
Susan spent the next four months living on chocolate and microwave meals as she sat by Olivia's bedside in the UK. Most of her daughter's liver was removed. Luckily, Olivia narrowly avoided a liver transplant, but this possibility still remains on the cards.
"I was trying to come to terms with it, trying to cope. I tried to keep a degree of normality because you can't be frantic all the time. But everywhere I went, like the supermarket, well-wishers would rush over to say how awful it was and how sorry they were. You get just so worn out.
"People mean so well and try to help but they have no idea what you are going through, and I pray they never do. As soon as I put the kids to bed, I would cry my eyes out. I was so angry with myself for crying but you can't be brave all the time."
Susan had to give up her job as she was in between appointments at Crumlin Children's Hospital in Dublin and Kings Hospital in the UK.
"I had to stop working. But the bills don't stop. We fell behind. Everything started adding up, flights, medicine, everything. You can barely put one foot in front of the other, so applying to the bank for help was just not an option."
The Cliona Foundation stepped in and helped Susan with some of her everyday costs.
"Suddenly, a cheque came in the post and I have never been so grateful.
Terry and Brendan Ring, founded Clionas Foundation in honour of their daughter Cliona (15), who died in 2006 from an inoperable brain tumour.
Unless youve been in the position of having a really sick child in your family you dont know how quickly expenses can mount up. We want to support families who are already going through the horrific trauma of dealing with a very ill child shouldnt have to face dealing with money worries on top of that," Terry said.
- 5 TV Shows That Could Be Turned into Great Horror Movies - Bloody Disgusting - November 21st, 2019
- 2019: The Year of Horror Movies - Manitou Messenger - November 21st, 2019
- iconic horror movie posters are reimagined using fuzzy felt and buttons - Designboom - November 21st, 2019
- White House horror film in the works from Dont Breathes Fede Alvarez - Yahoo Entertainment - November 21st, 2019
- Top 25 Horror Movies of the 2010s - Consequence of Sound - November 21st, 2019
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Movie Facts That Will Make Your Head Roll - CBS Sports Radio 910 - November 21st, 2019
- The best and worst movies of the past decade: The 2010s - Business Insider - November 21st, 2019
- 'Joker,' 'Lighthouse': Past dark films may have paved the way to Oscars - Los Angeles Times - November 19th, 2019
- White House Horror Movie in the Works From 'Don't Breathe' Filmmaker - Hollywood Reporter - November 19th, 2019
- Peer Inside the Otherworldly Studio of Andra Ursua, a Sculptor Who Transforms Horror-Movie Props Into Eerie Totems - artnet News - November 19th, 2019
- Heads Will Roll: Looking Back at Tim Burton's Gothic Horror Film 'Sleepy Hollow' 20 Years Later - Bloody Disgusting - November 19th, 2019
- Bong Joon Ho's Next Movie Will Mix Action and Horror - Bloody Disgusting - November 19th, 2019
- The Past, Present, and Future of Horror Movies - KCRW - November 19th, 2019
- The Hard Truth of Growing Up: Coming of Age Horror - 25YearsLaterSite.com - November 19th, 2019
- 10 Horror Movies That Are Only Scary The First Time | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2019
- The Conjuring 3, The Grudge, and the 18 most anticipated horror films of 2020 - 1428 Elm - November 18th, 2019
- 'The Georgetown Project': Kevin Williamson Horror Film Adds Sam Worthington and David Hyde Pierce! - Bloody Disgusting - November 18th, 2019
- The Streaming Era Has Finally Arrived. Everything Is About to Change. - The New York Times - November 18th, 2019
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Ought to Make You Roll Your Eyes, and Yet - Vulture - November 18th, 2019
- Blumhouse and Hulu's 'Pilgrim' is the Crazy Thanksgiving Horror Movie We've Been Waiting For - Bloody Disgusting - November 18th, 2019
- The Best Horror Movie On Disney Plus Is the Original Sleeping Beauty - Fatherly - November 18th, 2019
- The Most Bizarre Thanksgiving Horror Films Ever Made - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 18th, 2019
- Oregon Actress Who Portrays Killer in Upcoming Horror Movie Charged with Killing Uncle in Real Life - Inside Edition - November 18th, 2019
- The Co-Writer of Black Christmas Sets the Record Straight Over the Horror Movie's PG-13 Rating - Gizmodo - November 18th, 2019
- Child's Play: What It Gets Right That Other Horror Movies Don't - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2019
- Five horror movies that influenced the ghost tale The Remaking - Entertainment Weekly News - November 18th, 2019
- From 'Doctor Sleep' to 'It Chapter 2': why horror film directors need to do better - The National - November 18th, 2019
- Now Scream This: The Best Streaming Horror Movies Based on Books - /FILM - November 18th, 2019
- Wes Cravens 10 Best Movies (According to IMDb) | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2019
- 13 fantastic movies you probably didn't watch this year, but should - INSIDER - November 18th, 2019
- Get Out the Book: Read Jordan Peeles Notes On His Iconic Film - Film School Rejects - November 18th, 2019
- Top 100 Horror Movies - Rotten Tomatoes - Movie Trailers - November 9th, 2019
- 10 Deadliest Horror Movie Monsters, Ranked | ScreenRant - June 1st, 2019
- Netflix horror movie 'The Perfection' is making people sick - May 29th, 2019
- Them (2006 film) - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2019
- Must-see horror movies this summer, from 'Brightburn' to ... - May 23rd, 2019
- 20 Funniest Things About Horror Movies That Make No Sense - May 21st, 2019
- Horror Movie Podcast | Reviewing the Hell Out of Horror Movies - April 29th, 2019
- 'The Curse of La Llorona' horror movie is a box-office hit ... - April 25th, 2019
- Body at Brighton Rock Review: A Survival Movie with a ... - April 25th, 2019
- Terror TV: 5 horror films that would make great television - April 17th, 2019
- Why People Read Wikipedia Pages for Horror Movies - April 2nd, 2019
- 'Us': Jordan Peele switches horror spotlight to a black family - March 22nd, 2019
- 1980s horror movie poster logos and typography. - March 13th, 2019
- Aquaman Spinoff Horror Movie The Trench Is In Development - March 9th, 2019
- The Best Scary Horror Movies On Netflix Now In 2019 - February 26th, 2019
- The Ape Man - Wikipedia - January 29th, 2019
- Top 15 Horror Movies to See in 2019! | Arrow in the Head - January 10th, 2019
- The 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018 - vulture.com - December 26th, 2018
- Best horror movies: scary films to stream or buy in 2018 ... - August 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com Horror Movies & Films on DVD and Blu-Ray - July 26th, 2018
- Box Office: 'It' Is Now The Highest-Grossing R-Rated ... - July 22nd, 2018
- | Reviewing the Hell Out of Horror Movies. - July 16th, 2018
- Arachnophobia (film) - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2018
- The Last Horror Movie - Wikipedia - June 19th, 2018
- Horror Domain | Horror Movie News, Trailers, Reviews ... - June 18th, 2018
- 100 Best Horror Movies of All Time - September 20th, 2017
- Sorensen: Horror movies don't deserve bad reputation - The Daily Iowan - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' is a waking nightmare, curated from a catalogue of horror-movie tropes - Washington Post - September 7th, 2017
- 'It was like something you see in a horror movie': Irma survivors tell of devastation - The Guardian - September 7th, 2017
- Rough flight 'like a horror movie': Etihad Airways passenger - The West Australian - September 7th, 2017
- /Answers: Our Favorite Horror Movie Villains - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Review: 'It' doesn't clown around with horror-movie clichs - Seattle Times - September 6th, 2017
- Horror Movie Magic: The CGI that has made films even scarier - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Letter: Don't star in a (traffic) horror movie - Mountain Xpress - September 6th, 2017
- Thelma Trailer: Norway's Oscar Submission is a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Stephen King's 'It' Arrives at a Terrifying Time for the Movie Business - Variety - September 6th, 2017
- Darren Aronofsky's 'mother!' Early Buzz: A Delirious, Divisive Horror Movie Designed to Attack Its Audience - /FILM - September 6th, 2017
- Can 'It' Reverse the Trend of Terrible September Horror Films? - Film School Rejects - September 6th, 2017
- Annabelle 2 Beats Get Out as 2017's Biggest Horror Movie - MovieWeb - September 5th, 2017
- Police warning over 'killer clown' craze set to return after horror movie IT released - Coventry Telegraph - September 5th, 2017
- Beautiful Diana, trapped in a horror movie: Mallick - Toronto Star - September 5th, 2017
- Sequels and Lies: What Hollywood's Disastrous Summer Really Means for the Future of Movies - The Ringer (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- 'Killer clown' craze set to return as remake of horror movie IT is released in UK - Metro - September 3rd, 2017
- It movie early reviews: This clown horror film is frighteningly good - The Indian Express - September 3rd, 2017
- 'The bedroom was like a scene from a horror movie' - Mum speaks about terrifying condition that almost killed her ... - Independent.ie - September 3rd, 2017
- Horror News Network's Fall 2017 Horror Movie Preview - Horror News Network - September 3rd, 2017
- 'Friend Request' Trailer: Witches and Social Media Team Up for a Horror Movie - /FILM - September 3rd, 2017
- Netflix's Little Evil puts a new comic spin on the evil-kid trope - The Verge - September 2nd, 2017
- Horror on Netflix: September 2017 Additions - 1428 Elm - September 2nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero