These twisted horror movies all definitely require a second or third viewing to unpack all their surprises and twist endings ... if you can handle it.
Great horror films are, by definition, meant to leave viewers with a lingering sense of fright and disturbance. When a horror movie's grotesque creations dig into the audience's deepest fears and worst paranoias, they are considered to be an ultimate success.
RELATED:10 Unoriginal Horror Movies That Became Surprising Cult Gems
However, some horror films are simply so utterly twisted and filled with mind-blowing surprises that fans will need to calm their pounding hearts and dive back in for a second round of examination. From shocking plot developments that are utterly jaw-droppingto surprise characters that reconstruct the entire plot with their existence, these frightening horror movies are so satisfyingly twisted that they're absolutely worth a second watch.
This 2001 horror-thriller starring Nicole Kidman has a shocking twist that's almost impossible to see coming. Though this gothic ghost story goes more for psychological thrills with its suspenseful and moody pacing than it does all-out gore, it still manages to be scary and keep viewers on edge without a blood bath.
The reveal here is so intensely gripping and completely changes everything audiences were led to believe about the main characters that a second watch is almost required to comprehend this shocking switch-up.
This 2019 horror film by Jordon Peele is absolutely worth a second watch after the ending reveals a startling twist so surprising that it puts all the events prior into question and changes everything.
Lupita Nyong'o's strong portrayal of the lead character is intensely creepy and gripping, only adding to the absolutely mind-blowing reveal that requires a second go-round to truly understand the motives of the film's alleged villain. This horror movie truly brings new meaning to the term, seeing double.
This tension-filled 2014 German horror film follows twin boys who suspect that their mother, who's recovering from facial surgery and is wrapped up in bandages, is not who she claims to be.
The chilling tale certainly has its fair share of dark and violent moments and its heavy use of misdirection only makes the startling twisted conclusion that much more shocking. A second watch is definitely required to understand how this utterly twisted horror film completely fooled its audience with this surprising reveal.
Often overlooked in terms of twisted horror, this gripping 2001 movie was created with multiple views in mind, according to the film's director and star, Bill Paxton.
RELATED:10 Southern Gothic Movies That Are Scarier Than Standard Horror Films
The film follows a father and his two sons as this happy Texas family's life is turned upside down when the dad decides he's been sent on a mission from God to destroy demons. For a film that has multiple murders, this horror movie is surprisingly non-gory and features more than one seriously twisted plot turn that will most certainly require a second watch, just as the director intended.
After their return home from an extended stay in a psychiatric facility, sisters Su-Mi and Su-Yeon areconvinced that their stepmother, Eun-Joo is hiding a darker ulterior motive in this twistedly iconic South-Korean horror film.
As the story play's out to reveal a slew of creepy and surprising revelations, the final shocking twist truly drives home this well-crafted movie's closing act. With the number of astonishing reveals in this twisted horror film, viewers will certainly need a second look at this clever masterpiece.
This 2009 horror film is truly a twisted journey. The plot follows a married couple, Kate and John Coleman, who are looking to adopt a child after experiencing a tragic loss. What comes next can only be described as any parent's worst nightmare, as the seemingly innocent adopted Esther turns into the child from hell.
As Kate tries to cope, Esther's increasingly hostile and manipulative behavior only worsens. These events lead up to an outrageous twist that will leave viewers so shocked, they'll need a second viewing to accurately process Esther's bizarre secret.
DirectorM. Night Shyamalan is known for slipping dramatic twists into his movies that change up their whole dynamic and he doesn't disappoint with this 2015 horror film. The plot, which follows siblings Becca and Tyler on a five-day visit to their estranged grandparent's house, takes an unexpected turn as bizarre occurrences and disturbing behavior from the grandparents becomes more and more frightening.
This leads up to a surprise twist that will leave viewers headed right back to the film's introduction, wondering how they missed something seemingly right under their noses.
This 2018 horror film is filled with so many shocking turns, a second go-round is almost a requirement to process this twisted tale.
RELATED:10 Horror Movies To Watch If You Love Hereditary
The plot follows the grieving Graham family as they try to process the surrounding deaths and mysterious legacy that seems to be tied to their fate. The cast, (led by the fabulous Toni Collette,) truly brings these characters to life in the most engagingly creepy way that will haunt viewers long after the shocking conclusion. Just don't lose your head trying to process thissupernatural tale.
Brace yourself, this twisted 2016 horror film about a nanny sent to watch a seemingly possessed lifesize doll named Brahms isn't even close to what it appears to be.
While the premise of this movie already sounds like enough of a wild ride on its own, the shocking truth revealed near the film's end only makes the overall premise seem that much more terrifying. Viewers will certainly want to give this twisted horror film a second look to catch the hidden clues that this disturbing doll isn't all that it seems.
This 2007 Spanish horror film is filled with a heavy supply of supernatural twists. The plot follows Laura, her husband Carlos, and their son Simon, as Laura returns to the orphanage that was her childhood home with the intent of restoring it as a place to house children.
While this haunting film builds with fairly slow suspense, the shocking twists revealed are certainly worth the wait, as is a second viewing to comprehend the clever misdirection of the film's narrative that is far from its tragically dark truth.
NEXT:10 Best Squads In Horror Movie History, Ranked
Next Twilight: The Characters, Ranked By Power
Shari Hirsch is a Chicago based reader, writer, and author of two published short horror stories. When she's not creating amazing new content for ScreenRant, she's typing out awesome reviews for song and album drops for Ratings Game Music. Shari has a BA in Creative Writing from Columbia College Chicago, and is a lover of 80's horror and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero