Whether you're in the mood for some old school horror, or the goriest slasher imaginable, HBO Max has something for everybody. The streaming service has a huge selection of classic flicks like The Exorcist, teen slashers starring all of your '90s faves, and seriously disturbing films that you won't be able to stop thinking about. Here, we round up 21 of the scariest movies to watch on HBO Max in 2022.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Wes Craven's classic slasher started an entire franchise dedicated to Freddy Krueger, superbly played by Robert Englund. In the movie, a group of teenagers start having vivid nightmares involving a child murderer who was killed by a mob years earlier. Once Freddy has invaded a person's dreams, they usually end up dead. A plethora of sequels followed, as well as a 2010 remake starring Rooney Mara.
Sally (Bailee Madison) is sent to live with her father (Guy Pearce) and his new girlfriend (Katie Holmes). The trio moves into a foreboding 19th century mansion in Rhode Island, and it's not long before Sally starts hearing noises, caused by strange creatures emerging from a sealed ash pit in the basement. Guillermo del Toro serves as co-writer in this gothic horror-infused flick.
If you're a fan of Freaky Friday, then you'll love this horror-twist on the body-swap genre. Vince Vaughn stars as the Blissfield Butcher, a serial killer who steals an ancient dagger with magical properties. When the Butcher attacks a high school girl called Millie (Kathryn Newton), stabbing her in the shoulder, an identical wound appears on his own body. Andyou guessed itthe dagger causes Millie and the Butcher to swap bodies, which results in some hilarious hijinks, along with some bloody murders.
Picking up where 2018's Halloween left, Michael Myers continues his rampage, and this time it's extremely bloody. While Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) and her family recuperate in hospital, a mob forms to hunt down the legendary serial killer. Michael manages to up the ante with some very creative kills, and director David Gordon Green pays homage with onscreen nods to the beloved franchise. Completing the trilogy, Halloween Ends hits theater on October 14, 2022.
Two Americans embark upon a backpacking trip across Europe, when they're encouraged to visit a particular hostel in Slovakia. They arrive to find they're sharing their room with two women, and this truly is a case of "too good to be true." Much gory "torture porn" ensues when it's revealed that the hostel is run by a group that kidnaps and murders tourists. Two more movies followed, turning Hostel into a very disgusting trilogy.
Regardless of whether it's scary or not, I Know What You Did Last Summer is a classic '90s teen slasher, with a stellar cast. Jennifer Love Hewitt stars alongside Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar, who met while filming the movie and started dating 3 years later. One year after a fatal car accident that seemingly left a stranger dead, a group of teens are stalked by a fisherman with a hook for a hand. You can guess what happens next.
Based on Stephen King's epic novel, this two-part TV movie has been terrifying kids since the '90s. Tim Curry stars as the ultimate Pennywise, a seemingly friendly clown that's actually an evil entity who feeds on people's fears. The movie follows The Losers Club as they face off against the scariest clown in horror movie history. Follow it up with 2017's equally scary adaptation.
Annabelle Wallis stars as a woman who begins having graphic and violent visions involving murder. She eventually finds out that her visions feature events that actually took place, along with real deaths, and she's forced to find out what her role is in the killings. Coupled with an unbelievable back story, some seriously spooky sets, and Matrix-level choreography, Malignant will blow your mind. If I said anymore, I'd only spoil the surprise.
20 years after a terrible mining accident, the residents of a small town decide to reinstate their annual Valentine's Day dance. This turns out to be a huge mistake, because one of the surviving miners previously promised to avoid all homicidal activities as long as the dance was canceled for good. To make matters even more terrifying, the killer in My Bloody Valentine is clad in head to toe mining gear.
This supernatural horror movie is the original Paranormal Activity. Thanks to its incredible special effects and atmospheric set, 1982's Poltergeist reinvented the "family moves into a spooky house" movie. When the Freelings move into their new California home, they have no idea that a gang of ghosts are ready to terrify every waking moment. And just wait until they discover that portal to another dimension.
1999's The Blair Witch Project is presented as found footage shot by three filmmakers who went missing while investigating a local legend. After venturing into the woods, strange things start happening to the trio, as they uncover the truth about the so-called Blair Witch. As low-budget horror movies go, The Blair Witch Project remains iconic for the simplicity of its scares, and the clever way it convinced its audience that there might be some truth to the legend after all.
The Conjuring introduced the world to Ed and Lorraine Warren, real-life paranormal investigators whose exorcisms and study of the occult inspired this growing series. In the second instalment, Ed and Lorraine travel to the U.K. to investigate a haunted house, and help a family plagued by malevolent spirits. The Conjuring 2 is based on a real-life case that took place in England in the '70s, and widely became known as the Enfield Haunting.
Set within The Conjuring Universe, Dead to Me's Linda Cardellini stars as social worker Anna who is investigating the deaths of two boys. Based upon the folklore of La Llorona, the "weeping woman" in the movie is a vengeful ghost that drowned her own children, and lurks around water waiting for new victims. It's not long before the cursed poltergeist latches onto Anna's children, and seems intent on stealing them too.
If you haven't already seen The Exorcist, you've definitely been exposed to a zillion parodies of it. Based on the book of the same name, The Exorcist is about the demonic possession of a young girl after an encounter with a Ouija board. The movie follows two priests as they attempt to rid her of the evil entity. Decades later, The Exorcist remains a completely chilling, classic horror movie featuring amazing special effects.
The Purge universe continues to expand, and this time it's squarely aimed at anyone wearing a MAGA hat. The year is 2048, and The New Founding Fathers of America manage to reinstate the annual Purge after an eight year absence. However, a dangerous sect wants to invoke an "Ever After Purge," meaning that they'd be free to kill anyone they wanted, at any time. The film follows a family of Mexican immigrants as they attempt to stay safe from racist discrimination and a purge without boundaries.
Beth (Rebecca Hall) is haunted by her husband's suicide, and the cryptic note he left behind. Living alone in their remote lake house, Beth sorts through her husband's possessions, and starts to experience strange visions each night. She's led to another house that's identical to her own, but has a reverse floor plan, and the discoveries she makes completely destroy her sense of reality. Some strange twists and turns, along with genuine jump scares, make The Night House unmissable.
Children can be really evil sometimes. In The Omen, a family inadvertently adopts Damien, a young boy who might be the Antichrist. After the loss of their own child, Robert (Gregory Peck), adopts Damien as a replacement. However, strange things start happening at home, from unlikely suicides to sudden deaths. Several sequels, and a 2006 remake starring Julia Stiles, followed.
Based on the book by Stephen King, The Shining needs no introduction. Jack Nicholson stars as Jack Torrance, a man suffering from writer's block, who moves his family into the Overlook Hotel for the winter. However, Jack's writing goes nowhere, and his son starts having premonitions due to having psychic abilities. It's not long before Jack starts to mentally unravel, and his thoughts turn to murder.
If you're after something a little bit different, Kevin Smith's Tusk definitely fits the bill. Justin Long stars as Wallace, an obnoxious podcaster who flies to Canada, where he decides to interview a retired seaman named Howard who offers him a place to stay. Howard reveals that he was once rescued from a shipwreck by a walrus called Mr. Tusk, and that's when the trouble really starts. You wouldn't believe me if I told you what happens, so you should probably just watch it.
If you've never seen the TV series, don't worry. David Lynch's Twin Peaks prequel is a disturbing, psychological horror movie that can be viewed as a standalone story. Fire Walk With Me tracks the last seven days of Laura Palmer's life, exploring all the clues and mysteries that surround her fateful murder. Lynch's distinctive style is in full effect, and being a teen girl has never looked scarier.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
20 Scary Horror Movies to Watch on HBO Max - Harper's BAZAAR
- The Horror Movie That's Truly Worth the Hype - The Atlantic - November 27th, 2022
- The Best Lines From Airplane! The Movie That People Still Use Today - Looper - November 27th, 2022
- The Scariest Moments in James Bond Movies - Den of Geek - November 27th, 2022
- Friday Fright Nights: Watch the horror comedy Scary Bride right here! - JoBlo.com - November 27th, 2022
- Is 'Bones and All' Scary? Details on the Romance Flick - Distractify - November 27th, 2022
- The 5 Worst Horror Movie Jump Scares That Fell Flat - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 27th, 2022
- Underrated Horror Movie of the Month: KRAMPUS - Geek Girl Authority - November 27th, 2022
- Best Horror Movies on Netflix 2022: The Amityville Horror, Things Heard and Seen, Escape Room, and More - MySmartPrice - November 27th, 2022
- The Best Horror Movies to Stream Thanksgiving Weekend - Creepy Catalog - November 27th, 2022
- New Sitcom Based On Charlie Sheen In The Works? - Giant Freakin Robot - November 27th, 2022
- This Twisted Thriller Continues To Dominate The Netflix Charts - Dread Central - November 27th, 2022
- 'The Menu' Explained: Questions Answered and Themes Explored - Creepy Catalog - November 27th, 2022
- 'Airplane!' and 'Scary Movie' director rips cancel culture in comedy: 'We don't want to try to educate' - Fox News - November 11th, 2022
- Best scary movies of 2022 to watch for Halloween - Dexerto - October 2nd, 2022
- Sacramento briefly mentioned in whats supposedly one of the scariest movies of all time - KTXL FOX 40 Sacramento - October 2nd, 2022
- "Full Moon Fathers" Film Preview to Bring the Horror to Malta - Nippertown - October 2nd, 2022
- Best Scary Movies for Tweens and Teenagers - The Mary Sue - October 2nd, 2022
- 'The Outwaters' - SCREAMBOX Just Acquired One of the Scariest Movies of the Year! - Bloody Disgusting - October 2nd, 2022
- The Crypt Collection: A Nightmare on Elm Street: A retrospective into the classic horror film. - The Wood Word - October 2nd, 2022
- Latest Horror News: Guillermo del Toro's Newest Horror Flick Promises Scares As Genre Diehards Gear Up for Weeks Worth of Content - We Got This... - October 2nd, 2022
- How The Woman Who Created The Gill-Man Was Erased By Hollywood History - The List - October 2nd, 2022
- Green watched the horror film, then went to work - The Official Home of the Dallas Mavericks - Mavs.com - October 2nd, 2022
- 'Hocus Pocus 2' star Doug Jones says when he first arrived on set, 'it was as though Elvis had risen from the dead' - Yahoo Entertainment - October 2nd, 2022
- 24 Shows and Movies to Watch on Peacock If You Want to Be Wildly Entertained - NBC Insider - September 24th, 2022
- The New Horror Film Smile Can't Live Up to Its Amazing Premise - Gizmodo - September 24th, 2022
- The 200 Best Horror Movies of All Time - IndieWire - September 24th, 2022
- New Amazon Prime Video Movies and Shows Coming in October 2022 - TV Guide - September 24th, 2022
- 16 Best New Scary Movies, Shows & Books to Watch This Halloween 2022 - Katie Couric Media - September 24th, 2022
- Antonio's Emily Morgan one of most haunted hotels in U.S. - mySA - September 24th, 2022
- Best Horror Movies 2022: His House and the 17 other highly rated horror films on Netflix - ranked by Rotten Tomatoes reviews - The Scotsman - September 24th, 2022
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Bette Midler and Kathy Najimy Reveal the Secret to the Success of 'Hocus Pocus' and Why They Agreed to Make a Sequel - Parade... - September 24th, 2022
- All the '90s and 2000s Teen-Movie Easter Eggs You Probably Missed in "Do Revenge" - POPSUGAR - September 24th, 2022
- This Tour Takes You to NYC's Most Haunted Movie Locations - NJ Family - September 24th, 2022
- 100 Year Old Haunted Birmingham Theater Attraction to Welcome 'Michael Myers' for Opening - wcrz.com - September 24th, 2022
- What Happened To Sarah Hyland After Modern Family? - Looper - September 24th, 2022
- 12 Scary Movies That Take Place On Halloween (That Aren't Part Of The Halloween Franchise) - /Film - September 16th, 2022
- I'm terrified of horror films and braved Universal's Halloween Horror Nights as a first-timer here's how scary it really was - The Points Guy - September 16th, 2022
- Goodnight Mommy Stars Naomi Watts And Nicholas And Cameron Crovetti Spill Spooky Secrets [Exclusive Interview] - /Film - September 16th, 2022
- Horror Hipsters Name Things They Found Too Cool to Be Scary - We Got This Covered - September 16th, 2022
- What Is The Age Rating Of Confess, Fletch? Parents Guide - No-Guilt Fangirl - September 16th, 2022
- Netflix reveals full list of scary shows and movies arriving between now and Halloween - JOE.ie - September 16th, 2022
- Five Of the Most Haunted Cities to Visit in Washington - newstalkkit.com - September 16th, 2022
- Family-Unfriendly: 10 Characters Too Scary for the MCU - We Got This Covered - September 16th, 2022
- Why 'Glass Onion' scared Rian Johnson more than 'Last Jedi' - Los Angeles Times - September 16th, 2022
- Candace Cameron Bure Set To Debut Her First Christmas Movie With New Network - Scary Mommy - September 16th, 2022
- V/H/S/99 Shows Off The Best Of Times Before Smartphones And Internet [Trailer] - That Hashtag Show - September 16th, 2022
- A Second Trump Term Would Be a Scary Rerun of the First - The New Yorker - September 16th, 2022
- How Emily Deschanel's 'Morbid Fascination' Led to Netflix's 'Devil in Ohio' - Newsweek - September 16th, 2022
- Upcoming Disney Live-Action Films Presentation At [D23] - That Hashtag Show - September 16th, 2022
- Kang Has A Familiar Writer: Jeff Loveness Tapped To Write Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - That Hashtag Show - September 16th, 2022
- 'The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments of All Time' premiere: The countdown begins AIPT - AIPT - September 8th, 2022
- 'Barbarian' is surprising but too unrealistic | Entertainment | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - September 8th, 2022
- Real-life money and health care woes are what's truly scary, says horror author Gabino Iglesias - The Lawton Constitution - September 8th, 2022
- The 5 Most Terrifying Films Ever... [Fright-A-Thon] - That Hashtag Show - September 8th, 2022
- Apple Fitness+ to be available to all iPhone users, even those without an Apple Watch - Pocket-lint - September 8th, 2022
- Is This Marshall Road Really The Most Haunted in Texas? - knue.com - September 8th, 2022
- Vogue Williams reveals how son now sleeps on the floor after sis showed him 'scary' movie - Sunday World - September 8th, 2022
- The Scariest Halloween Drive In Movies Are Back at Snipes Farm This Fall - 94.5 PST - August 31st, 2022
- Courtney Taylor On 'The Invitation' And Portraying An Authentically Black Woman In A Horror Film - Essence - August 31st, 2022
- Heeeere's Johnny! What Is Wyoming's Favorite Stephen King Film? - laramielive.com - August 31st, 2022
- 30 Of The Creepiest Things People Have Ever Discovered In Homes - Bored Panda - August 31st, 2022
- What Is The Age Rating For The Invitation (2022)? Parents Guide - No-Guilt Fangirl - August 31st, 2022
- Everything coming to Netflix in September 2022 - including Marilyn Monroe movie - The Mirror - August 31st, 2022
- Horror film 'The Invitation' wins box office weekend - Chicago Tribune - August 31st, 2022
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Reevaluating the Pulpy Thrills - Bloody Disgusting - August 31st, 2022
- Every Movie and TV Series Leaving Hulu in September 2022 - ComicBook.com - August 31st, 2022
- Should You Watch Me Time on Netflix? - What's on Netflix - August 31st, 2022
- 4 Animals That Can Sneak In Through Your Toilet Pipes - Simplemost - August 31st, 2022
- "The Invitation," "Day Shift" and the State of the Vampire Movie - InsideHook - August 31st, 2022
- Here Are All The Best Movies Coming And Going From Streaming In September. 'Elvis', 'The Rings of Power' - Barstool Sports - August 31st, 2022
- Trick or Treat Yourself with Limited Time Fall-Flavored Snacks from Hostess Brands - Hostess Brands - August 31st, 2022
- 'Clerks III' Is Totally Different From Its Original Script - ScreenCrush - August 31st, 2022
- Canada's Wonderland Is Hiring For Halloween Haunt & You Really Can Get Paid To Be Scary AF - Narcity Canada - August 31st, 2022
- Horror Fans Share the Best Foreign-Language Terrors They've Ever Seen - We Got This Covered - August 22nd, 2022
- 70 '90s Horror Movies To Watch When You're Craving Throwback Chills - Scary Mommy - August 22nd, 2022
- Halloween: 5 Thoughts I Had While Rewatching The 1978 Horror Movie Classic - CinemaBlend - August 22nd, 2022
- What to Watch This Weekend: Best Movies & TV (August 1921) - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
- Regina Hall on the Time She Unexpectedly Had to Choke Nicole Kidman - Parade Magazine - August 22nd, 2022
- Now That's Scary: Stephen King Tweets Tribute to Stelter - The Clay Travis & Buck Sexton Show - August 22nd, 2022
- Paul WS Anderson on the VFX in Event Horizon 25 Years Later - Vulture - August 22nd, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero